THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Sashi's job was to shepherd the process and that included leading the discussions, but the decisions are automatic. Either both sides agree to accept... not love, but be willing to live with... the prospect or it's onto the next prospect.

In other words, you wind up doing what the dumbest shit of the bunch agrees to do.

No, that's not how it was.  If there was no consensus to be reached, then Sashi had final say.  It was The Committee of Harvard Think Tankers and Hue.  They couldn't agree on the brand of water to drink.

28 minutes ago, Orion said:
  1. In other words, you wind up doing what the dumbest shit of the bunch agrees to do.
  2. No, that's not how it was.  If there was no consensus to be reached, then Sashi had final say. 
  1. How do you come to that conclusion?
  2. And what was said was "moving right along." In a consensus process there simply is nothing else to be said when no consensus is reached.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Your, or anyone else's, refusal to accept the truth is not my problem, h.... but I'll try again.

• You have prospect A... Scouts don't like A; analytics loves A. Discuss, but Scouts hold fast. No consensus. You pass on A and move on to Prospect B.
  • Prospect B... Scouts love; Analytics hate... Discuss and not surprisingly no consensus.... on to C.
  • Prospect C... Scouts love: Analytics like, but not love value at current pick... discuss trade down. Consensus reached to pick here.

Sashi's job was to shepherd the process and that included leading the discussions, but the decisions are automatic. Either both sides agree to accept... not love, but be willing to live with... the prospect or it's onto the next prospect. That is the consensus process.

The bulk of this work would be done during the creation of the Big Board. Then scenarios would develop about Draft Day trade strategies in an attempt to anticipate as much as possible. With practice the entire decision process can fit into the time allotted to making a given pick.

Got it now?

That all sounds so feckless...even if it is accurate.  And it is exactly that....a compromise to take a guy that each unit sort of likes....Because I think the actual scenario would be:  Prospects C....Scouts sorta like,  analytics sorta likes......

So, what we end up with is a guy that no one likes and no one hates.  I think that implies one term:  mediocrity. 

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Your, or anyone else's, refusal to accept the truth is not my problem, h.... but I'll try again.

• You have prospect A... Scouts don't like A; analytics loves A. Discuss, but Scouts hold fast. No consensus. You pass on A and move on to Prospect B.
  • Prospect B... Scouts love; Analytics hate... Discuss and not surprisingly no consensus.... on to C.
  • Prospect C... Scouts love: Analytics like, but not love value at current pick... discuss trade down. Consensus reached to pick here.

Sashi's job was to shepherd the process and that included leading the discussions, but the decisions are automatic. Either both sides agree to accept... not love, but be willing to live with... the prospect or it's onto the next prospect. That is the consensus process.

The bulk of this work would be done during the creation of the Big Board. Then scenarios would develop about Draft Day trade strategies in an attempt to anticipate as much as possible. With practice the entire decision process can fit into the time allotted to making a given pick.

Got it now?

Si si senor. Yo comprendo. And it's exactly as I thought- you wind up with a second or third tier choice (like Cory Coleman) because no one can agree on  a potentially superior candidate. 

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That all sounds so feckless...even if it is accurate.  And it is exactly that....a compromise to take a guy that each unit sort of likes....Because I think the actual scenario would be:  Prospects C....Scouts sorta like,  analytics sorta likes......

So, what we end up with is a guy that no one likes and no one hates.  I think that implies one term:  mediocrity. 

Tour- I think Gipper nailed it. There's three voices in the room, the scouts, analytics folks, and the coaches\ FO. The more people you have to keep happy- the lower the odds you're going to get it right. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Si si senor. Yo comprendo. And it's exactly as I thought- you wind up with a second or third tier choice (like Cory Coleman) because no one can agree on  a potentially superior candidate. 

Tour- I think Gipper nailed it. There's three voices in the room, the scouts, analytics folks,and the coaches\ FO. The more people you have to keep happy- the lower the odds you're going to get it right. 

Let me see if I got this right... A judge said that requiring a unanimous decision reduces the odds of getting it right? I guess our jury system needs a major overhaul...

The coaching staff, Hue's coaching staff, had no voice in the draft process. Clearly this is not going to be the case with Stef, but it was under Hue. So it was the Scouting and Analytical Dept. reps that had to come to consensus. To claim that requiring to independent groups to be in agreement is a weaker, more error prone requirement than relying upon one person to break every tie is ludicrous. That makes you only as good as one person... as good as a Farmer... or a Lombardi... or a Heckert... or, yes, even a Dorsey.

Every player passed over is "potentially superior" to who you take next. Remember when we passed on Khalil Mack to trade down for Justin Gilbert? Hell... even I saw that one coming and I did not know jack shit about Gilbert.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Because Jimmuh TOLD us that.  Years ago.

Responded to wrong point, O... I was asking about this conclusion: "In other words, you wind up doing what the dumbest shit of the bunch agrees to do."

However, as for Jimmah bestowing the final say on Sashi... yes, he did. The question is how he used it and what he said. I say he used it to say, "Next."

If you know of a specific player decision where he broke a deadlock in favor of obtaining the player, please share it and support.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Let me see if I got this right... A judge said that requiring a unanimous decision reduces the odds of getting it right? I guess our jury system needs a major overhaul...

The coaching staff, Hue's coaching staff, had no voice in the draft process. Clearly this is not going to be the case with Stef, but it was under Hue. So it was the Scouting and Analytical Dept. reps that had to come to consensus. To claim that requiring to independent groups to be in agreement is a weaker, more error prone requirement than relying upon one person to break every tie is ludicrous. That makes you only as good as one person... as good as a Farmer... or a Lombardi... or a Heckert... or, yes, even a Dorsey.

Every player passed over is "potentially superior" to who you take next. Remember when we passed on Khalil Mack to trade down for Justin Gilbert? Hell... even I saw that one coming and I did not know jack shit about Gilbert.

Yet a lot of Franchises use that model of a final voice in the room to break ties when there's no consensus Tour- I'd be willing to bet on that.... 

Regarding the Mack\Gilbert fiasco- I just hope we have more intelligent guys in the room this time making their consensus pick.  :D  Credit Depodesta and Sashi for accumulating first round no consensus picks, and with the Hubatross' coaching help- 0-16.   

I'll let Gipper comment about the legal system if he cares to. 

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yet a lot of Franchises use that model of a final voice in the room to break ties when there's no consensus Tour- I'd be willing to bet on that.... 

Some do... no doubt, h... but I'd bet that excepting character issues the Departments in most FOs never get to the point of voicing an up or down opinion on a candidate. Rather they lay out what they do and do not like about them for consideration by the GM. Probably included is an assessment in which round the prospect's value resides.

I'd also bet that nearly as many FOs have one guy driving the decisions such that there are no ties to break. Based on accounts I read this was Dorsey's way. He even talked about others "getting on board" with his decision to take Baker #1 overall. He also intimated that he'd judge scouts by their frequency of agreeing with his assessments.

No one in the NFL uses the consensus decision-making process we tried. It's a newfangled approach that elevates "analytics" to equal footing with traditional scouting. Not a combo an assemblage of old-school, NFL owners are likely to embrace. Jimmah tried it out of frustration with football guys Lombo/Farmer as an alternative to the quest for the next White Whale. Plus he thought he already had the perfect guy to head up the new approach.

At least we agree on Hue playing a part... no telling what the results might have been with a different HC.

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would rather be the losers coordinator. Much more of a sure thing and you never get fired for doing your job with this team. 🤡

Might get a bonus and contract extension !   :lol:

If true this would please me...

“Source: Browns plan to hire Bill Callahan as offensive line coach” (ESPN) - “New Cleveland coach Kevin Stefanski will be tasking Callahan with improving an offensive line that struggled to protect second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield at times last season.”

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Way off base here....using the same analogy, yours would go like this:   A guy is on trial for committing murder during a bar fight.   6 Jurors think he is guilty of murder, and the other 6 say he is not guilty. So, instead they just settle for convicting him of Disorderly Conduct....since they can't agree on anything else. 

Responded to wrong point, O... I was asking about this conclusion: "In other words, you wind up doing what the dumbest shit of the bunch agrees to do."

However, as for Jimmah bestowing the final say on Sashi... yes, he did. The question is how he used it and what he said. I say he used it to say, "Next."

If you know of a specific player decision where he broke a deadlock in favor of obtaining the player, please share it and support.

How do you know he did it the way you think?  You make it sound like, OK,  we will just cast lots.   We have 25 scouts....let each of them put a name on a piece of paper, and whichever name comes up the most, we pick that guy.    

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If true this would please me...

“Source: Browns plan to hire Bill Callahan as offensive line coach” (ESPN) - “New Cleveland coach Kevin Stefanski will be tasking Callahan with improving an offensive line that struggled to protect second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield at times last season.”

Not only get a guy with extensive experience coaching offensive line, we also get someone with prior head coaching experience. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/1/20/21074488/cleveland-browns-continue-to-fill-out-coaching-staff

First report l saw that Stump Mitchell is sticking around. Goody gumdrops. Not only did Chubb and the gang have a good season, but he’s a cool looking dude with that big white beard. There’s just not enough big beards in football.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

I always wanted to be a “defensive quantity control coach”. 

Coach would ask “How many linebackers do we have?” And l would say “5”.

I would be great at that job.

Your up bleed 😀, anything doing with Quality, was shown the exit door... Espn's Field Yates reports Asst. Coaches let go list from yesterday.. 1) QB's- Ryan Lindley (bye!) //TE's- John Lilly//DL- John Parella// DQC-Deuce Schwartz//OQC--Tyler Tettleton (was Baker's OQC at Oklahoma)//DQC-Alonzo Escalante//Off.Asst/OQC- Jim Dray (now a hire in Zona). Were all reported as released..

RB's coach-Stump Mitchell remains on keeper list for now

DB's coach-Dewayne Walker being considered to stay, but LaCanfora now reporting, Walker to interview at Eagles 

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Your up bleed 😀, anything doing with Quality, was shown the exit door... Espn's Field Yates reports Asst. Coaches let go list from yesterday.. 1) QB's- Ryan Lindley (bye!) //TE's- John Lilly//DL- John Parella// DQC-Deuce Schwartz//OQC--Tyler Tettleton (was Baker's OQC at Oklahoma)//DQC-Alonzo Escalante//Off.Asst/OQC- Jim Dray (now a hire in Zona). Were all reported as released..

RB's coach-Stump Mitchell remains on keeper list for now

DB's coach-Dewayne Walker being considered to stay, but LaCanfora now reporting, Walker to interview at Eagles 

Too bad about Jim Dray. Not sure how he was as a coach but liked him when he played for us. I always thought he’s get his doctorate when his playing days were done.

Dr. Dray. Ba dum, chh...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Feels like we are heading his way, but still far from "poised".

I was just reading about the number of GM slots at which Paton has turned up his nose, e.g., Jets a couple times and Fins. He's also been the one not taken in SF and Indy.

Stef's hot for him and I suspect talked him into interviewing here, but now he's interviewed here twice.

We shall see...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/george-paton-wraps-up-his-2nd-browns-gm-interview-and-heads-back-to-minnesota-the-two-sides-will-remain-in-contact.html

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Feels like we are heading his way, but still far from "poised".

I was just reading about the number of GM slots at which Paton has turned up his nose, e.g., Jets a couple times and Fins. He's also been the one not taken in SF and Indy.

Stef's hot for him and I suspect talked him into interviewing here, but now he's interviewed here twice.

We shall see...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/george-paton-wraps-up-his-2nd-browns-gm-interview-and-heads-back-to-minnesota-the-two-sides-will-remain-in-contact.html

Ha, concensus. Berry- Paton.  Paton- Berry. We can't agree. The Homeless Guy is available. Done. :D:D

• Haha 1

How many guys did they interview for the GM job?      Three?

Certainly you don't have to interview all of 'em a second time do ya?  I mean....did you forget to ask them something?  

You bring one of three in for a second interview....then...He's your guy!  Right?!  Or you're just pullin' his chain.  

If I was Paton, and I got sent back home without the job after a 2nd interview with Haslam, well, I wouldn't be accepting any more of his phone calls.  ( I've already got a job and don't have to work for that ass-hat Haslam..........of course, I've been conditioned to be biased against Haslam)

• Upvote 1

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S NEW YEARS?        THE BROWNS HAVE A NEW HEAD COACH!    BA-DUM!

Another year of newness.  New HC, GM, DC, OC (or not), position coaches, new playbook, new, new, new, right down to the uniforms.  Yup, new uni's too....BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET ANYTHING AT ALL RIGHT......EVER!

I mean, WHAT are the odds?   That Haslam hired the right coach, the right GM and fixed the uniforms ,  ALL IN THE SAME OFFSEASON?   

.......I better have a Snickers bar and go to bed.

On 1/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, gumby73 said:

Next: I will keep a updated list of Browns interviewees in order of interviewed

#1.Mike McCarthy (open) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-mike-mccarthy   *HIRED- Dallas*

#2.Greg Roman (Ravens OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-greg-roman lost to Titans as #1 seed 1-11-20  

#3.Eric Bieniemy  (KC OC)  https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-eric-bieniemy        

#4.Robert Saleh (49'ers DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-robert-saleh Won vs. Wildcard Vikings 1-11-20

#5. Ryan Daboll (Bills OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-ryan-daboll  McCarthy hired in Dallas same day interviewed Daboll (1-6-20)

#6. Jim Schwartz (Philly DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-jim-schwartz  1 day before interview, Rhule to Panthers/ NYG hire J.Judge

#7. Kevin Stefanski (OC Vikings) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-kevin-stefanski Lost at San Fran as Wildcard 1-11-20  *BROWNS HIRE* 1-12-20

#8. Josh McDaniels (OC Patriots) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-josh-mcdaniels Interviewed 7 hrs. with no deal 1-10-20            

Stefanski later in week, won wildcard game, on to 9'ers Saturday..day pending(Thursday 1-9-20 in Minn.) ..

Josh McDaniel's. loss to Titans Sunday. confirmed for this Friday(as of 1-6-20)>>Friday 1-10-20..Pats. Exit meetings till Weds..was to interview at Panthers Weds 1-8-20..was to interview at NYG Thursday 1-9-20..interviewed at nether due to both teams hiring coaches Tuesday 1-7-20 

GM interviews start on 1-17-20..   

#1.Philly's Andrew Berry & #2) Patriots Monti Ossenfort interviewed on a Friday..(neither hired as of 1-19-20)

#3.George Paton (Asst.GM Vikings) interviewed in Minnesota Sunday 1-19-20// a 2nd 9 hour interview in Cleveland Wednesday 1-22-20

Berry a day before interview announces he is also a candidate for Panthers GM job. 

COACHING STAFF HIRES

#1) Chad O'Shea.. Former Dolphins OC becomes Browns WR Coach on 1-19-20

1-22-20 Stefanski announces he will retain 3 coaches from previous staff

#2) Mike Priefer ST #3) ST Asst.-Doug Colman

#4) RB's- Stump Mitchell

Update as of close of business Wednesday January 22nd 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Ian Rapoport

The #Vikings are turning to a familiar face for their new OC: Gary Kubiak, who has been an assistant head coach and offensive advisor, is taking over as the offensive coordinator, sources say. His impact was felt quickly in Minnesota and now he sticks around.

29 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Ian Rapoport

The #Vikings are turning to a familiar face for their new OC: Gary Kubiak, who has been an assistant head coach and offensive advisor, is taking over as the offensive coordinator, sources say. His impact was felt quickly in Minnesota and now he sticks around.

Makes sense, for them.   They lost Stefanski, and Zimmer is a defense oriented guy.    I just thought maybe he could get that same job here.