THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Does seem odd that the rumors around hiring a WR Coach are stronger than those for an OC.

Was going to add this.... Unless of course we already have our OC.

But whether or not Stef intends to be the OC or not... whether he ends up being the defacto OC or not... there's no one that knows better the type of Offense he wants to build than he does. So his hiring in offensive coaches in whatever order should be expected.

• Upvote 1

No clue as to accuracy of reporting for obvious reason, but here is a take on revised organizational responsibilities of two key positions...

1. Apparently Dutch's real name is Jeff Lerner.
  2. So much for Part Deux...

Hey, Mary Kay: Do you think Kevin Stefanski will have a good amount of say picking players and keeping some of the players we have on the team right now? I just have a strong feeling that our beloved owners along with our baseball guy are going to be hiring a bunch of yes men and we will have someone totally unqualified picking our players. Like Paul DePodesta and Jimmy Haslam. We deserve so much better than this. — Jeff Lerner, Avon, Ohio

Hey, Jeff: Stefanski will have a large say in roster decisions, and that’s why they want him to help hire the general manager. A former defensive back at Penn, Stefanski enjoys talent evaluation and has already been poring over film of current Browns players. I think he’ll be in on deciding who stays and who goes, in conjunction with the new GM. I also think he’ll have plenty of input in the draft, free agency, trades and other roster moves. With the Browns’ renewed emphasis on analytics, his keen evaluation skills will be valued and necessary.

Hey, Mary Kay: How much “say so” will Paul DePodesta have when it comes to this year’s draft and will he have veto power over any selection? —Thanks Felix DeAngelis, Cleveland, Ohio

Hey, Felix: DePodesta will play a role in the draft as the team’s Chief Strategy Officer, and the analytics team will have more influence than it did during the John Dorsey drafts. But the new general manager will have final say over personnel decisions, as outlined by Jimmy Haslam in his postseason press conference. The Browns have interviewed two candidates for the GM job so far in Eagles Vice President of Football Operations Andrew Berry and Patriots Director of College Scouting Monti Ossenfort. They requested permission to interview Vikings assistant George Paton, but it’s not yet known if the interview has taken place. If Paton feels it’s a foregone conclusion that Berry is getting the job, he might think twice about interviewing.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/will-browns-hc-kevin-stefanski-have-a-large-role-in-player-acquisition-hey-mary-kay.html

I'm from Canal Fulton, via Ravenna. 

But that Jeff Lerner knows what's up.

I know I'm absolutely thrilled that this new head coach, who currently has less experience than Freddie Kitchens in calling plays, is now supposed to be the head coach, offensive coordinator AND talent evaluator for the draft, free agency and trades. Very sound thinking from The Process Part Deux. 

9 hours ago, Orion said:

He could also end up as OC, though there is a possibility that the Browns don't have an official coordinator this year given Stefanski's prowess on offense and the issues that arose last season.

And kids, this is how it starts... 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Again... a misstatement of Sashi's role. In that regime there were either a consensus or there wasn't one.

...and if there wasn't a consensus then Shashi would be the one to have the final say.  That's the way it was.  I was alive and taking nourishment at the time.

35 minutes ago, Orion said:

and if there wasn't a consensus then Shashi would be the one to have the final say. 

No... when there was no consensus the pass was automatic. It's how a consensus process works.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

No... when there was no consensus the pass was automatic. It's how a consensus process works.

That sounds like if A or B are your best choices, yet the people involved can’t agree on A or B then they’re going to go choose C which is a lesser choice of either of them. That is fucking brilliant. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, gumby73 said:

Next: I will keep a updated list of Browns interviewees in order of interviewed

#1.Mike McCarthy (open) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-mike-mccarthy   *HIRED- Dallas*

#2.Greg Roman (Ravens OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-greg-roman lost to Titans as #1 seed 1-11-20  

#3.Eric Bieniemy  (KC OC)  https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-eric-bieniemy        

#4.Robert Saleh (49'ers DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-robert-saleh Won vs. Wildcard Vikings 1-11-20

#5. Ryan Daboll (Bills OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-ryan-daboll  McCarthy hired in Dallas same day interviewed Daboll (1-6-20)

#6. Jim Schwartz (Philly DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-jim-schwartz  1 day before interview, Rhule to Panthers/ NYG hire J.Judge

#7. Kevin Stefanski (OC Vikings) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-kevin-stefanski Lost at San Fran as Wildcard 1-11-20  *BROWNS HIRE* 1-12-20

#8. Josh McDaniels (OC Patriots) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-josh-mcdaniels Interviewed 7 hrs. with no deal 1-10-20            

Stefanski later in week, won wildcard game, on to 9'ers Saturday..day pending(Thursday 1-9-20 in Minn.) ..

Josh McDaniel's. loss to Titans Sunday. confirmed for this Friday(as of 1-6-20)>>Friday 1-10-20..Pats. Exit meetings till Weds..was to interview at Panthers Weds 1-8-20..was to interview at NYG Thursday 1-9-20..interviewed at nether due to both teams hiring coaches Tuesday 1-7-20 

GM interviews start on 1-17-20..   

#1.Philly's Andrew Berry & Patriots Monti Ossenfort interviewed on a Friday..(neither hired as of 1-19-20)

Berry a day before interview announces he is also a candidate for Panthers GM job. Vikings-George Paton may get interviewed over weekend. and Still is Undecided and snowed in....as of 1-19-20

COACHING STAFF HIRES

#1) Chad O'Shea.. Former Dolphins OC becomes Browns WR Coach on 1-19-20      OUT-Adam Henry to Dallas.. OUT- Todd Monken joins Georgia staff

As of KC and 49'ers punching their SB tickets.. Here's the Browns New hire updated ^^ as of Sunday 1-19-20 10:19 PM

3 coaches on Browns next coaching staff 'rumor list' to interview are headed to the SB

1.Mike McDaniels--49'ers run game cord.

2.Joe Woods--49'ers DB coach...rumored to replace Wilks as Browns DC 

3. Mike LeFleur--49'ers Passing game cord.

Titans & GB coaches are now eligible to be interviewed... Party On Shanny & Congrats!  

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I would rather go with a clean slate with that than bring back Wilks, for sure.

Maybe the Packers will do us a favor today.

Well they lost, so maybe we could bring back Mike Pettine as DC   :D  Just kidding....   

22 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I read an article by Ian Rappaport on NFL.com that Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur are of interest to be the new OC's. However, in the article it says that the 49er's could block the move. I'm curious because I thought as long as it is not a lateral position a team can not block a hire? In this case LaFleur is the passing game coordinator and McDaniel the run game. Neither call plays. If it is a pay bump and title promotion, i was always under the impression it was good to go. In the same article, it talks how Woods would be allowed to go because he is in his last year of his contract. How does that work?  

The previous post was correct. Every assistant coaching position (including OC, DC, and assistant HC) below Head Coach is considered a lateral move, and the coach can be blocked from taking a position with another team below the  HC position.  IIRC, the Vikings blocked Stefanski from taking the OC position with the Giants....   

The only exception to that is if said coach's contract with his team is up- in that case, he can resign with the same team, or look for a better deal elsewhere..... 

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

If assistants coaches had a union, they would fight like hell to get rid of that rule.   In fact, I think the operative term you use there is "Now"....because I think it is a fairly new policy.    The purpose of which I am curious about.  Did owners/GM just not want to lose good asst. coaches to promotions short of HC? 

No idea how recent the rule is Gipper, but it was primarily the head coaches that were poed. Because you could make up a BS title that "looked" like a promotion- but in fact wasn't. Is an "assistant head coach" a promotion over a coordinator?  Or, LOL, farther down the pecking order- the head quality control coach over just a quality control coach?  

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Tour- please you've dodged this way too long, numerous times and almost no one else here believes you. If you have no consensus- then someone has to make a decision. Was it Sashi, or did they just put names in a hat and pull one out? 

If no one has the final vote with no consensus, then nothing gets moved forward. Well, 1\2 of us have player "A" or player "B" as the best choice, we can't agree, so let's take lesser talent player "C" that we all agree on. That sounds like how you wind up with a Corey Coleman. 

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well they lost, so maybe we could bring back Mike Pettine as DC   :D  Just kidding....   

The previous post was correct. Every assistant coaching position (including OC, DC, and assistant HC) below Head Coach is considered a lateral move, and the coach can be blocked from taking a position with another team below the  HC position.  IIRC, the Vikings blocked Stefanski from taking the OC position with the Giants....   

The only exception to that is if said coach's contract with his team is up- in that case, he can resign with the same team, or look for a better deal elsewhere..... 

No idea how recent the rule is Gipper, but it was primarily the head coaches that were poed. Because you could make up a BS title that "looked" like a promotion- but in fact wasn't. Is an "assistant head coach" a promotion over a coordinator?  Or, LOL, farther down the pecking order- the head quality control coach over just a quality control coach?  

Tour- please you've dodged this way too long, numerous times and almost no one else here believes you. If you have no consensus- then someone has to make a decision. Was it Sashi, or did they just put names in a hat and pull one out? 

If no one has the final vote with no consensus, then nothing gets moved forward. Well, 1\2 of us have player "A" or player "B" as the best choice, we can't agree, so let's take lesser talent player "C" that we all agree on. That sounds like how you wind up with a Corey Coleman. 

Folks, teams have been able to block assistant coaches from interviewing for coordinator jobs for maybe 6-7 years now.  This is nothing new.

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Don't get me started!😱😬

in other former browns coaching news on this long weekend.. DC Romeo Crennel (now age 72) will be replaced by Texans DL coach Anthony Weaver in Houston.. Crennel is now on open market

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

That would not be so bad.  Really.  He would not do it, nor be allowed to do it, but it would not be so bad. 

Great minds think alike.  I said this very same thing....and it indeed sounds like just what happened,  and it also seems to have fucked us up in doing so.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Folks, teams have been able to block assistant coaches from interviewing for coordinator jobs for maybe 6-7 years now.  This is nothing new.

Well, if it just started 6-7 years ago, that makes it a fairly recent situation, all things considered.    (of course that makes it like the last  5-6 hires the Browns have made have had to operate with that condition. :o 

So how then, could the Browns hire say, a Joe Woods for DC.....if he is still under contract with SFO? 

A couple of things to address:

1) To say the Browns are "punting" on this draft is MKC type of speech. Pure speculation. That is ridiculous and something that makes no sense. This team is in "win now mode" not re-building. Haslam said as much. In addition, there is a reason that Wolf, Hightower and the rest of the scouts were retained. The browns liked what they did last year and they need them for the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if they are let go afterwards, because that is how scouts and GM stuff goes, but there is no way they are going to "Punt" on this draft. Finally, it doesn't matter who the browns hire for a GM as far as when. Don't you think that ANY OF THESE GUYS have already been doing extensive research with their previous teams? They have all that knowledge in their own notes and databases. It's the same way that lombardi brought his "Browns scouting book" with him when he got canned and then hired by the Patriots right before the draft. These guys are professionals and they know, their jobs now and the future all depend on the draft. 

2) I like the fact the Browns are not just hiring the "name" OC/DC guys. Weren't Monken and Wilks those same guys last year? They were the choice of the organization, not the HC. Clearly that didn't work. Stefanski wants guys whom he can work with and have complete trust in. I have a feeling the Browns won't have their coaching staff until after the SB. Woods and and one of LaFleur or McDaniels comes to the Browns. If it is indeed those guys, a lot of them work together in the offseason so I think the transition would be pretty seamless. I don't think Stefanski wants to call plays next year. He want's a guy who is going to come in and handle the offense, in his vision. 

3.) I'm perfectly fine with no Wade Phillips. His defense was awful last year. It has the name players but it was statistically one of the worst ranked defenses in the league. Not to mention he is significantly older, meaning they are going to have to replace him within the next few years. I could be wrong, but didn't he come out of retirement to take over the Rams job? I don't think the Rams letting his contract expire was an accident. 

4.)Woods is in his last year or going into a contract year, so I believe that is why he is allowed out or able to negotiate with other teams. I still don't fully understand the rules. The coaches hiring rules are stupid at best. Especially the ones where everyone knows they are going to hire someone from the SB coaches but they can't say it. It's almost as dumb as the NBA draft. 

5.) I do find it peculiar that Patton still has not accepted an invitation to be interviewed for the GM job. I wonder if the vikings are doing some behind the scenes work. This seems like a great move for him, unless he is nervous about the power structure. I would assume that Stefanski would be able to alleviate those concerns but no idea. For all of those who say that this Berry's job to lose, I would assume if that were true than he would have been named GM by now. 

Browns Rumors

January 20th, 2020 at 10:51am CST by Zach Links

The Browns could hire George Paton to be their new GM early this week, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com hears. Though nothing has been finalized, it sounds like the Vikings assistant general manager will be the club’s hire and make his long-awaited move up the ladder. George-Paton-featured1-e1515170744482-30

Paton has been very picky with interviews in recent years and he was reportedly waffling on whether to even interview for the Browns’ vacancy. On Saturday, he met with team brass and things are apparently moving in a positive direction.

The Browns also interviewed Eagles VP of football operations Andrew Berry and Patriots director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort on Friday. Berry was thought to be the favorite for weeks, due to his familiarity with the organization. Instead, Paton is now expected to take over for John Dorsey and guide the Browns through a critical offseason.

Paton may be a natural fit for a team that just hired longtime Vikings assistant Kevin Stefanski as its head coach. The two men overlapped in Minnesota for 13 years, so they should be well-aligned.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

January 19th, 2020 at 9:26pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg
  • The Browns settled on a new head coach in Kevin Stefanski, but they’re still searching for a new general manager. One potential candidate is Vikings assistant GM George Paton, but he’s apparently hard to pin down. Paton has been very picky with interviews in recent years, and the Browns still haven’t gotten a firm commitment from him on whether or not he’ll interview, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link). It was initially reported that Paton had agreed to interview, but that turned out not to be true. Eagles executive Andrew Berry and Patriots exec Monti Ossenfort are also candidates.

Browns To Hire Joe Woods?

January 19th, 2020 at 2:00pm CST by Zach Links

49ers defensive backs coach Joe Woods is on track to become the Browns’ next defensive coordinator, sources tell ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter). All that remains, Schefter hears, is figuring out a contract. USATSI_13262314-200x300.jpg

The Browns, reportedly, were down to Woods and incumbent Steve Wilks as of last week. Today, the Browns told Wilks that he’s out, as Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com tweets. Barring something unexpected, Woods will get the job.

Woods, 49, has history with new Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski  – Woods was a Vikes assistant between 2006-2013. All in all, Woods comes with 16 years of NFL coaching experience for five different teams. Before he hooked on as the Niners’ LBs coach, he spent four years with the Broncos, including two as their DC.

While Woods’ two Broncos defenses were solid, the 49ers’ rise from 23rd to second in pass-defense DVOA has obviously been key to the NFC No. 1 seed’s success. The 49ers’ Richard Sherman-led secondary has become a much better unit compared to last season, when Sherman did not play at a Pro Bowl level. Woods also oversaw the Broncos’ dominant No-Fly Zone secondary that helped the team to a championship in 2015, working under Wade Phillips.

• Thanks 2

and a definate hire:

January 19th, 2020 at 10:09am CST by Rory Parks

The Browns have hired former Dolphins OC Chad O’Shea as their new WR coach and passing game coordinator, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports. O’Shea lasted one year in Miami and drew some criticism for installing an overly complex offense, and he was recently fired in favor of spread offense guru Chan Gailey.

USATSI_8099666-214x300.jpg

But despite the talent limitations on Miami’s offense, the team did perform reasonably well down the stretch and actually ranked in the top-10 in passing offense and top-15 in scoring offense after Ryan Fitzpatrick reentered the starting lineup in Week 7. As such, O’Shea’s dismissal came as something of a surprise, though recent reports indicated that, while he is an excellent receivers coach, he is not a great coordinator.

O’Shea spent 10 years as the Patriots’ WR coach, so he comes to Cleveland with plenty of experience. He will also have a great deal of talent to work with, and he will be tasked with continuing to get the most out of Jarvis Landry while also helping Odell Beckham Jr. return to prominence. As passing game coordinator, he will also help develop game plans for Baker Mayfield, who struggled in his sophomore campaign but who still has plenty of potential.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, if it just started 6-7 years ago, that makes it a fairly recent situation, all things considered.    (of course that makes it like the last  5-6 hires the Browns have made have had to operate with that condition. :o 

So how then, could the Browns hire say, a Joe Woods for DC.....if he is still under contract with SFO? 

His contract is expiring.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sdballis said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/20/report-browns-are-expected-to-hire-bill-callahan/

Bringing in Bill Callahan for OLine after letting Campen go.

Bill Callahan has been around....

....but I would rather put my defense in the hands of his cousin,  Harry.

"Go Ahead, Run the Ball, Make My Day"

Dirty_Harry_6418.jpg

20 hours ago, hoorta said:

Your, or anyone else's, refusal to accept the truth is not my problem, h.... but I'll try again.

• You have prospect A... Scouts don't like A; analytics loves A. Discuss, but Scouts hold fast. No consensus. You pass on A and move on to Prospect B.
  • Prospect B... Scouts love; Analytics hate... Discuss and not surprisingly no consensus.... on to C.
  • Prospect C... Scouts love: Analytics like, but not love value at current pick... discuss trade down. Consensus reached to pick here.

Sashi's job was to shepherd the process and that included leading the discussions, but the decisions are automatic. Either both sides agree to accept... not love, but be willing to live with... the prospect or it's onto the next prospect. That is the consensus process.

The bulk of this work would be done during the creation of the Big Board. Then scenarios would develop about Draft Day trade strategies in an attempt to anticipate as much as possible. With practice the entire decision process can fit into the time allotted to making a given pick.

Got it now?

2 hours ago, sdballis said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/20/report-browns-are-expected-to-hire-bill-callahan/

Bringing in Bill Callahan for OLine after letting Campen go.

Interesting hire. Certainly older than the few staff hires we know about so far as he is in his 60s. I found an article indicating he has experience with the zone blocking scheme Stefanski is expected to run.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-callahan-expected-to-join-kevin-stefanskis-staff-with-the-browns-per-report/amp/

• Thanks 1

Appears we are heading towards some different titles on our coaching staff... Passing game coord... Run game coord... maybe even with a slash here and there.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Appears we are heading towards some different titles on our coaching staff... Passing game coord... Run game coord... maybe even with a slash here and there.

I always wanted to be a “defensive quantity control coach”. 

Coach would ask “How many linebackers do we have?” And l would say “5”.

I would be great at that job.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I always wanted to be a “defensive quantity control coach”. 

The wins coordinator ?