THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well somebody's going to take the job. 

😬

WSS

Yup.  It just seems that we're doomed to this hell......until the Halsams finally sell.

But that won't happen because he's giving up his Pilot Flying Circus.  The team is going to be 'it'.

I'd be interested to know just what happened with Paton.  Did he pull his name because all that time went by and Haslam didn't make an offer?   - Did he tell Haslam at the 2nd interview that he needed a couple of days to think it over?  And then came to his senses...err, I mean, decided to stay put?  

And meanwhile we've had a bunch of potential lame ducks working Senior Bowl Week.  But there's no rush....because....they're going to get it 'right' this time.  (pretend that was in pink)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Yup.  It just seems that we're doomed to this hell......until the Halsams finally sell.

But that won't happen because he's giving up his Pilot Flying Circus.  The team is going to be 'it'.

I'd be interested to know just what happened with Paton.  Did he pull his name because all that time went by and Haslam didn't make an offer?   - Did he tell Haslam at the 2nd interview that he needed a couple of days to think it over?  And then came to his senses...err, I mean, decided to stay put?  

And meanwhile we've had a bunch of potential lame ducks working Senior Bowl Week.  But there's no rush....because....they're going to get it 'right' this time.  (pretend that was in pink)

I would have to guess the same thing happened with him as happened with every other qualified candidate for any position with the Browns. No one of any stature wants to take orders from idiots like Jimmy and Dee and probably most of them don't have much use for  answering to John depodesta.

For you Ohio rock and roll fans there's a guy named Mark Chatfield very good guitarist from the Columbus area that was Bob Seger's guitar player on the road. He wasn't a member of the band that recorded as the Silver Bullet Band had absolutely no input except to play the parts exactly as he was told in live performances. While I'm sure that was fun for a little bit eventually it was just frustrating and he quit. 

WSS

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ATOM said:

really do not see a way they could stop him

That's what they said about the Titanic before someone couldn't see the gigantic glacier that sunk it.    

Kyle Shanahan could tell him exactly what it was like to work for the worst owner in the NFL so a promising coaching career doesn't sink before it has a chance to launch.   And the sad part of that was we actually got off to a 7-4 start nobody saw coming the year Shanahan was here before the FO body by Jimmy sank the ship (ending the year with 5 straight losses).  Shanahan was smart enough to leave and help Atlanta make it to the Superbowl.  Meanwhile Pettine-TheDawg and company all stuck around for inevitable 3-13 season to follow.  Let's do the math, after 7-4 start - FO interventions led to 3-18 football the rest of the way.    Any chance of a promising football culture to follow had veterans dreaming of greener pastures elsewhere.

As we speak, Jimmy still thinks it's a great idea to stick with too many chiefs and not enough indians.  Even worse, the chiefs never seem to have any clear concise job descriptions to adhere to. Causing what?   Piss poor working relationships and mistrust.  The ingredients of why this franchise has had 7 HC changes since Jimmy took over have not changed reminding great candidates to ask what changes the owner has made to the set-up.  And here we are....

Poor Stefansky!     He seems like a likable and devoted, hard working guy coming here with great intentions.  

Do we need coaches and a GM or an Exorcist here? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I laughed when I saw this under the comments section of that article:

"What a grease fire they are, and I'll admit, it's fun to watch.

Hire a guy for HC that literally no one else was even remotely interested in, with no experience running a team on any level, to run what was/is a dysfunctional group of players, just cuz he embraces analytics, and is tight with the analytics based (whatever his title is) DePodesta. Their top pick for "GM" who also embraces their methods doesn't want anything to do with them cuz of their effed up power/decision making structure headed by the owner, his wife...and their son-in-law VP.... did I read that right? LMAO, that sounds like the premise to a low budget cheesy comedy movie.
I don't think I've ever seen a combination of hubris and dysfunction quite like this before. Anybody who's part of that crowd who seem to think analytics is the solution to everything should be really nervous about what this is going to do to their cause, at least in football anyway."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The Ohio Coaching list is maddening...

Paul Brown- Norwalk,OH

Don Shula-Grand River,OH

Chuck Noll-Cleveland,OH

Ara Parseghian-Akron,OH

Woody Hayes-Arrington,OH

Bo Schembechler & Josh McDaniels- Barberton,OH

John & Jim Harbaugh & Urban Meyer-Toledo,OH

Jon Gruden-Sandusky,OH

Jim Tressell-Mentor,OH

Bob Stoops-Youngstown,OH

Les Myles-Elyria,OH

Ron Zook-Ashland,OH

Dean Pees-Dunkirk,OH

Dom Capers-Cambridge,OH

Dick LeBeau-London,OH

Sean McVay-Dayton,OH

All born in Ohio coaches... and there has to be a long list of Who I am still missing? 🤔    Anywho?  W0W! Paul Brown..You THe Man!!  

Many of these guys have ties to my alma mater Miami University, aka “the cradle of coaches.” Hell, l didn’t even know Sean McVay went there until glancing at the below link. Kinda odd a school that hasn’t been known for its football program for many many years cranks out so many great coaches, but the list is impressive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I would have to guess the same thing happened with him as happened with every other qualified candidate for any position with the Browns. No one of any stature wants to take orders from idiots like Jimmy and Dee and probably most of them don't have much use for  answering to John depodesta.

Well said.  I would guess that a lot of candidates would not be thrilled with the structure of 'everybody and their brother' reporting directly to Haslam.  It's not a 'chain' of command.  It winds up being a bunch of VP's pitted against one another...all in the owner's ear.  (it's just another thing that we've seen fail before.  that's not to say that it COULDN'T work....just not with Jimmuh as the point person)

...Oh, WSS,  my band played last night.  Us two guitar players both do some structured solos,  and extemporaneous leads.  :) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Well said.  I would guess that a lot of candidates would not be thrilled with the structure of 'everybody and their brother' reporting directly to Haslam.  It's not a 'chain' of command.  It winds up being a bunch of VP's pitted against one another...all in the owner's ear.  (it's just another thing that we've seen fail before.  that's not to say that it COULDN'T work....just not with Jimmuh as the point person)

...Oh, WSS,  my band played last night.  Us two guitar players both do some structured solos,  and extemporaneous leads.  :) 

And I'm guessing you didn't have to clear those solos with the bar owner? 🤔

WSS

• Haha 1

thanks westside.. sorry, but that just seems so unlikely that only MKC would report it (un-sourced)... Are we all to think Cabot is now writing Mother Goose stories?

Is there anyway the chosen Jimmah Godfathers are going to trust Dorsey's right nor left hand men not leaking draft info? 

A) Are Wolfe & Highsmith both sitting ducks, when the clean white drafting board comes into the room? 

--OR---

B.)  Are they being held as the falling net if no better GM candidates will play Jimmah & The Depo Way?

Next up NFL Combine.. Who's on the Plane?

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

thanks westside.. sorry, but that just seems so unlikely that only MKC would report it (un-sourced)... Are we all to think Cabot is now writing Mother Goose stories?

Is there anyway the chosen Jimmah Godfathers are going to trust Dorsey's right nor left hand men not leaking draft info? 

A) Are Wolfe & Highsmith both sitting ducks, when the clean white drafting board comes into the room? 

--OR---

B.)  Are they being held as the falling net if no better GM candidates will play Jimmah & The Depo Way?

Next up NFL Combine.. Who's on the Plane?

No idea. Some of these people do this ship for a living even though that doesn't make them experts. Still maybe somebody linked to somebody linked to somebody in the organization dropped a rumor in their ear. Who knows? As candidate after candidate tell Jimmy to go fuck himself he's probably going to come down sooner or later to just about anybody with any experience. 

WSS

24 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No idea. Some of these people do this ship for a living even though that doesn't make them experts. Still maybe somebody linked to somebody linked to somebody in the organization dropped a rumor in their ear. Who knows? As candidate after candidate tell Jimmy to go fuck himself he's probably going to come down sooner or later to just about anybody with any experience. 

WSS

The problem comes down to this with the Haslams in charge.

Last man standing takes the cash.  😂

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Time to tear this team down and rebuild. Garrett or Mayfield anyone?😱

...can't possibly be the plan THIS time.  We have too many good players that would need to be axed.  Let's hope that all of those lousy player decisions belonged to Sashi.

So, for those keeping score at home...

The Browns have Paul DePodesta in a position no one seems to be able to define.

They have a first-time, 32 year old GM in Adam Berry. 

They have a first-time in any capacity, 37 year old HC in Kevin Stefanski.

They have a first-time OC in Alex Van Pelt.

They have a first-time DC in Joe Woods. 

All overseen by Jimmy and Dee Haslam. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What does "in any capacity" mean? "At any level"?

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Actually he was OC in BUF under Jauron during his last season asHC... so I guess that makes him "the experienced one." :)

Decent rush attack, but nada for a pass game under Trent Edwards.

T.O. was on the team tho, so he's had practice handling "personalities".

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

With one of the youngest rosters in the league. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

To add to others, Joe Woods WAS a DC in Denver.

Dutch, obviously your research prior to the post could have used analytics to assure your information was correct.

Mike

• Haha 4

On 1/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, gumby73 said:

Next: I will keep a updated list of Browns interviewees in order of interviewed

#1.Mike McCarthy (open) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-mike-mccarthy   *HIRED- Dallas*

#2.Greg Roman (Ravens OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-greg-roman lost to Titans as #1 seed 1-11-20  

#3.Eric Bieniemy  (KC OC)  https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-eric-bieniemy        

#4.Robert Saleh (49'ers DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-robert-saleh Won vs. Wildcard Vikings 1-11-20

#5. Ryan Daboll (Bills OC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-ryan-daboll  McCarthy hired in Dallas same day interviewed Daboll (1-6-20)

#6. Jim Schwartz (Philly DC) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-jim-schwartz  1 day before interview, Rhule to Panthers/ NYG hire J.Judge

#7. Kevin Stefanski (OC Vikings) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-kevin-stefanski Lost at San Fran as Wildcard 1-11-20  *BROWNS HIRE* 1-12-20

#8. Josh McDaniels (OC Patriots) https://clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-josh-mcdaniels Interviewed 7 hrs. with no deal 1-10-20            

Stefanski later in week, won wildcard game, on to 9'ers Saturday..day pending(Thursday 1-9-20 in Minn.) ..

Josh McDaniel's. loss to Titans Sunday. confirmed for this Friday(as of 1-6-20)>>Friday 1-10-20..Pats. Exit meetings till Weds..was to interview at Panthers Weds 1-8-20..was to interview at NYG Thursday 1-9-20..interviewed at nether due to both teams hiring coaches Tuesday 1-7-20 

GM interviews start on 1-17-20..   

#1.Philly's Andrew Berry & #2) Patriots Monti Ossenfort interviewed on a Friday..(neither hired as of 1-19-20)

#3.George Paton (Asst.GM Vikings) interviewed in Minnesota Sunday 1-19-20// a 2nd interview in Cleveland Wednesday

1-22-20.. Edit: George Paton removes himself as a GM candidate on Friday 1-24-20 💩..

Berry a day before interview announces he is also a candidate for Panthers GM job.

**#1 Hired..on 1-28-20 Andrew Berry inks 5 year deal as VP of football Operations & GM**

Berry's first day on the job brings a hiring of a FB off Vikings IR release list. Johnny Stanton

Berry's 2nd day on job, brings Eliot Wolf/asst gm & Alonzo Highsmith/VP PP.. And head of College Scouting, Scott Malin to their jobs endings..All parties claim to disagree with the future analynic path..3 of the parties agree on Stepping Down..   

COACHING STAFF HIRES

#1) Chad O'Shea.. Former Dolphins OC becomes Browns WR Coach on 1-19-20

1-22-20 Stefanski announces he will retain 3 coaches from previous staff

#2) Mike Priefer ST #3) ST Asst.-Doug Colman

#4) RB's- Stump Mitchell

#5) OL/Off.Asst- Bill Callahan (rumored, see nothing confirmed..EdIT--1-31-20- Callahan officially signs on as Browns OL coach)

#6. 1 year Former Vikings WR coach Drew Petzing becomes Browns TE Coach 🤔 (browns intern 2013..At Vikings, held 4 different coaching positions in 4 years)

#7) OC-Alex Van Pelt-- last seasons Bengals QB Coach

#8) DB Coach-Jeff Howard (just added overnight)

OTHER--1-31-20-K. Stefanski adds a female, to a Chief of Staff position..former Bills intern Callie Brownson 

Here's the update we have tracked^^..Please, if ya see anything wrong? Shout them out.. i try to keep post #2 updated as they happen..

and here's a new Cleveland local tracker https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-staff-tracker-see-how-the-browns-coaching-staff-looks-so-far.html  seems to update well also   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Here's the update we have tracked^^..Please, if ya see anything wrong? Shout them out.. i try to keep post #2 updated as they happen..

and here's a new Cleveland local tracker https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-staff-tracker-see-how-the-browns-coaching-staff-looks-so-far.html  seems to update well also   

And here's what other teams are trying- and a pretty objective view of Stefansky...  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096641/article/nfl-coaching-hires-proscons-for-each-of-the-five-new-head-men

12 hours ago, LBC mike said:

So no defense hires yet........

Seems probable we'll have our DC come Monday...

49ers’ Joe Woods expects ‘seamless transition’ to Browns DC; excited to join Kevin Stefanski after Super Bowl as expected

Updated Jan 30, 9:15 AM; Posted Jan 29, 8:40 PM

MIAMI — San Francisco 49ers defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator Joe Woods acknowledged he’s hoping to join Kevin Stefanski as the Browns defensive coordinator after the Super Bowl and is excited about the opportunity.

“We talked,’’ Woods, 49, told cleveland.com and one other Browns reporter Wednesday at the Super Bowl of a conversation with Stefanski. “Obviously I have a relationship with Kevin. I worked with him in Minnesota for eight years. But nothing’s going to be decided until after the Super Bowl. Obviously I feel like I have a good opportunity there but we’ll see what happens.’’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/49ers-joe-woods-expects-seamless-transition-to-browns-dc-excited-to-join-kevin-stefanski-if-it-works-out.html

16 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

To add to others, Joe Woods WAS a DC in Denver.

Dutch, obviously your research prior to the post could have used analytics to assure your information was correct.

Mike

I did miss that, but let's be honest, who really gives two shits? They'll all be shit-canned in 2 years, maybe 3 if DePodesta really keeps blowing Jimmy real nice-like. 

But I'm sure those two years as DC will make all the difference in The Process Part Deux becoming a rousing success. 

I know I'm on pins and needles with anticipation at the bang up job the Ivy League boys with their cute sweaters tied around their waists will do on the upcoming draft! 

• Haha 1