THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

here's absolutely no one to blame for them. Not his fault, not that guy's fault, definitely not that dude's fault. 

Yup, nobody raises their hand.  

In our current situation, we need a GM that can get us some 'real' football players.   (...so, what does that mean?)

Former Dolphins OC Chad O'Shea becomes 1st hire to Stefanski's staff as WR Coach & Passing Game Cord. Not a bad choice from a front office in Miami with Tanking on their mind.. here's more coaching staff rumors from Rapsheet..  https://nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097523/article/conference-title-games-feature-desirable-coaching-candidates   

• Thanks 1

The team will also interview Rich Scangarello for a role on his staff this week, possibly as the QB coach. He could also end up as OC, though there is a possibility that the Browns don't have an official coordinator this year given Stefanski's prowess on offense and the issues that arose last season.

...once you get the play-calling 'bug', it's hard to give it up.  

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Stefanski acts as OC and hires an assistant OC.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Yup, nobody raises their hand.  

In our current situation, we need a GM that can get us some 'real' football players.   (...so, what does that mean?)

We had that in Dorsey....

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...once you get the play-calling 'bug', it's hard to give it up.  

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Stefanski acts as OC and hires an assistant OC.

Christ....not that again...just what we need..

I read an article by Ian Rappaport on NFL.com that Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur are of interest to be the new OC's. However, in the article it says that the 49er's could block the move. I'm curious because I thought as long as it is not a lateral position a team can not block a hire? In this case LaFleur is the passing game coordinator and McDaniel the run game. Neither call plays. If it is a pay bump and title promotion, i was always under the impression it was good to go. In the same article, it talks how Woods would be allowed to go because he is in his last year of his contract. How does that work?  

4 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Christ....not that again...just what we need..

Agree. The transition from coordinator to HC is so huge all by itself and there's no need to make it exponentially harder.

2 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

I read an article by Ian Rappaport on NFL.com that Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur are of interest to be the new OC's. However, in the article it says that the 49er's could block the move. I'm curious because I thought as long as it is not a lateral position a team can not block a hire? In this case LaFleur is the passing game coordinator and McDaniel the run game. Neither call plays. If it is a pay bump and title promotion, i was always under the impression it was good to go. In the same article, it talks how Woods would be allowed to go because he is in his last year of his contract. How does that work?  

Someone mentioned recently that all assistant coaches are now considered equal, so unless an assistant is interviewing for a head coach job, it would be considered a lateral move for a WR coach to interview to be someone else's Offensive Coordinator. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Are you doubting The Process Part Deux? 

I'm going full Costanza this time. I have always - and I do mean always, bought hook, line and eventually stinker into our newest GM and/or coaches with honest feelings of "this/these dude(s) will be the one(s) to finally make us winners, because.......... <insert whatever bullshit reasons concocted in my head/heart here>" 

Not this time. Nope. I'm not saying I'm going to openly go all Soju/Debbie Downer on them, but rather that they are going to have to prove it to me by winning, and doing so consistently, before I slobber all over their junk. 

It worked for George, it'll work for me too. 

• Haha 2

Are you doubting The Process Part Deux? 

That’s quite the drum you keep pounding Dutch.

On the surface an analytically driven approach doesn’t seem so bad. Problem is it takes time to collect data, analyze it, share it amongst the shot callers, and ultimately make decisions. 

And it feels like there’s a sense of urgency because we don’t even know who all the shot callers are yet. I read an article the other day that suggested the Browns may “punt” this next draft (like trade down, collect more picks) because they don’t have their shit together, which means even the draft (usually a fun time) will suck. 

And of course, the jury is way way out on how much l trust the yet to be named list of shot callers. Or whether they will be given enough time to see their vision through with the fickle owner. It’s quite the bowl of bummer stew.

Someone mentioned recently that all assistant coaches are now considered equal, so unless an assistant is interviewing for a head coach job, it would be considered a lateral move for a WR coach to interview to be someone else's Offensive Coordinator. 

It’s only lateral if the OC isn’t calling plays which maybe the case here. 

18 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

On the surface an analytically driven approach doesn’t seem so bad. Problem is it takes time to collect data, analyze it, share it amongst the shot callers, and ultimately make decisions. 

And it feels like there’s a sense of urgency because we don’t even know who all the shot callers are yet. I read an article the other day that suggested the Browns may “punt” this next draft (like trade down, collect more picks) because they don’t have their shit together, which means even the draft (usually a fun time) will suck. 

And of course, the jury is way way out on how much l trust the yet to be named list of shot callers. Or whether they will be given enough time to see their vision through with the fickle owner. It’s quite the bowl of bummer stew.

How does one ever know when The Process has their shit together? 

So... how's the GM search going? Seems pretty quiet on The Process front. I assumed the Browns would put the full-court pressure on Berry, you know, to get the band back together, but.... 

On 1/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, Orion said:

...And that, of course reminds one of 'The Committee'.  Where Shashi, who had to be told which player they were interested in looking at while at a pro day, had final say on draft picks / the roster.  ( now we have, 'The Family' )

Again... a misstatement of Sashi's role. In that regime there were either a consensus or there wasn't one.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:08 AM, Dutch Oven said:

The great thing about The Process - for those who have complete, unwavery support of it - is when it produces poor draft results there's absolutely no one to blame for them. Not his fault, not that guy's fault, definitely not that dude's fault. 

As usual your take on any aspect of the former process is completely incorrect.

Somewhere in the Process there would be a scout, or scouts, who would be primarily responsible for the selection... or passing over... of a given player. This would be part of their "scorecard" and determine their future employment status. While the same could be true of the Analytics Dept., but more likely in that case would be tweaking the model.

The "GM" would in turn be judged on the improvement... or lack thereof... of the team.... same as Dorsey.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Two Blondes run out of Beer in a Cleveland blizzard. They both walk 1.5 miles to a open store. They both buy a 12 pack & head back to camp..How many beers will they have left after returning to camp?   Nope... i have no use for Depo deciding if enough anna Or Lynics is being used in this all new kumba ya adventure....

UPDATE-- OL coach/Asst.HC James Campen won't be retained for next season..

Steve Wilks has been informed as of today, he won't be retained either/// per MKC**** 49'ers DB Coach JOE WOODS seems to be the Name of the Day replacement as new DC? ..

stay tuned

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

How does one ever know when The Process has their shit together?

Same way you know in case of a traditional approach... W/L record trend.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If assistants coaches had a union, they would fight like hell to get rid of that rule.   In fact, I think the operative term you use there is "Now"....because I think it is a fairly new policy.    The purpose of which I am curious about.  Did owners/GM just not want to lose good asst. coaches to promotions short of HC? 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Punt because they don't have their shit together?   Well, that sounds like what our analytics centric  FO did for a few year.  Is that  SOP for that kind of crew? 

What it means is that they can't get their shit for talent mostly  (except for a no brainer like Garrett.)   So, is that what we have to look forward to again?  Defer, defer, defer?    Well, maybe they will defer enough so that when the next change comes, someone who knows talent can be the beneficiary of their pusillanimity like Dorsey was. 

And that, of course reminds one of 'The Committee'.  Where Shashi, who had to be told which player they were interested in looking at while at a pro day, had final say on draft picks / the roster.  ( now we have, 'The Family' )

Again... a misstatement of Sashi's role. In that regime there were either a consensus or there wasn't one.

Well, what was his role. To be the potted plant and do fuck all.  That seems to have been it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Lotta names floating around for a lot of positions...

Does seem odd that the rumors around hiring a WR Coach are stronger than those for an OC.

That, I suspect, is because Major candidates are still working this weekend and are a bit busy...you know, trying to coach a game.

39 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

What ever happened to Wade Phillips as DC?

might still be out there? but i jumped on to a open reddit topic, that Stefanski took some questions..Very cool & this was right after the Wade rumors.. Asked about the defensive roster..the dreaded coach speak line "We are going to play to our defensive players strength" That knocked Wilks out for me at that point..in less than a week..Bye Steve Wilks !

Am no Wade... but if Wade, at his age is getting paid by the Rams next season? He's in no Hurry to sign anywhere.. 

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

... if Wade, at his age is getting paid by the Rams next season?

Don't think he is owed anything. Reports at the time he was made Rams DC were that it was a 3-year deal and he served 3 years. Plus his leaving was out in terms of not being "renewed".

• Thanks 1