THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe...and that S better look like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This   S  stood for Saleh in this game this afternoom.   Holding Dalvin Cook and the Vikes to like 25 yards rushing.   If  he can get our defense to play like that, that would be sweet.   Browns defense may not have all the horses that the 49ers defense  has, but they have some decent bones to work with....which Saleh may be able to harness. 

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

This   S  stood for Saleh in this game this afternoom.   Holding Dalvin Cook and the Vikes to like 25 yards rushing.   If  he can get our defense to play like that, that would be sweet.   Browns defense may not have all the horses that the 49ers defense  has, but they have some decent bones to work with....which Saleh may be able to harness. 

First steal John Lynch who understood that football is won in the trenches, starting with the DL.

• Upvote 2

On 1/11/2020 at 8:13 AM, darren15 said:
vN2QmbEg_normal.jpg
Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer

The Browns have started reference checks and working on permission on GM candidates, per sources. The plan all along has been to pick the coach, and find a GM to pair him with. So Cleveland's working on Step 2 of its process.

First media reported White Smoke by Saturday? MKC, source must have forgot 🤷‍♂️ so her Smoke is Hoping on a Sunday announcement?  

Heck, we still have some candidates playing 🏈 and some who are not.. Us 🏈 Fans will continue to watch football..While you getting paid media-heads continue rubbing 2 sticks together..

Meanwhile,

1) We can add a) Kevin Stefanski & b) Greg Roman to coaches that can* now be hired.. Nobody but Gary Kubiak, knows what Gary Kubiak is doing..Vikings forums are screaming for both of them to turn in their playbooks for coloring books.. c) off limits to hire remains Robert Saleh

2) Safely we can confirm that the Browns want to speak to both Andrew Berry from Eagles. And Ed Dodds at Indy for the teams GM vacant spot..No news of when? so will update..    

On 1/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, Dutch Oven said:

all is well.png

RELAX!! Enjoy the Games today! There is always Next SunDay too..

To Soon? Yikes!! https://brownszone.com/2020/01/12/commentary-browns-look-predictably-clueless-as-they-wander-through-coaching-search-without-a-pick/ 

look up walking under bridge alert code yellow...  EDIT--- BROWNS HIRE KEVIN STEFANSKI ON 1-12-2020   

Honestly, I think if Stefanski is smart, he’ll find an experienced play-caller to bring in and run the offensive side of the ball during games.  We saw firsthand last year that Freddie really struggled being the head coach AND the play-caller.  Not getting plays in on time, arguing with the refs, taking timeouts when we didn’t need to, people not being lined up correctly…the list goes on and on.

One of the smartest things Stefanski said during his presser was when he said he wasn’t sure if he would call plays, and if he finds someone else that would be better at it, that person would do it.  Now, it’s one thing to SAY THAT and a completely different thing to actually LET someone do it, but in my mind…he’d be wise to find an experienced play-caller so he could focus on being the coach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing that came to my mind... It would be awesome the Browns where the team where Luke Kuechly started his coaching career as LB position coach. Smartest player on the position, he could very well end up being a good DC. 

Having Wade Phillips could be a huge attraction. I don't know how crazy this sounds and how viable it is, but I'm just fantasizing with the idea after reviewing some of his highlights. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nero said:

One thing that came to my mind... It would be awesome the Browns where the team where Luke Kuechly started his coaching career as LB position coach. Smartest player on the position, he could very well end up being a good DC. 

Would work for me... but if Luke wanted to coach I would think he'd be most likely to join Rivera's staff in DC.

One name I heard mentioned a few days ago for our LBs was HOFer Mike Singletary. Got his start as one... and by all accounts was a damn good one... and rose quickly to become HC in SF where he flamed out pretty quickly

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Honestly, I think if Stefanski is smart, he’ll find an experienced play-caller to bring in and run the offensive side of the ball during games.  We saw firsthand last year that Freddie really struggled being the head coach AND the play-caller.  Not getting plays in on time, arguing with the refs, taking timeouts when we didn’t need to, people not being lined up correctly…the list goes on and on.

One of the smartest things Stefanski said during his presser was when he said he wasn’t sure if he would call plays, and if he finds someone else that would be better at it, that person would do it.  Now, it’s one thing to SAY THAT and a completely different thing to actually LET someone do it, but in my mind…he’d be wise to find an experienced play-caller so he could focus on being the coach. 

True dat. I truly think Stefanski can fake it til he makes it. Something about him. 

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Honestly, I think if Stefanski is smart, he’ll find an experienced play-caller to bring in and run the offensive side of the ball during games.

If he actually is smart, then he'll delegate such that calling plays will not adversely impact the team on game day... and that may or may not require having another call the plays.

I think Stefanski explained it very well in his presser.  'You could see me on the sideline not talking to anyone....I'm thinking...getting information in my headset...picking the next play for the situation....getting it in to the QB.....You're very busy' .  (said something of that nature)   So yes, ideally we'd like him to give all of that to an OC, leaving himself time to manage the game.  But,...he WAS an OC.  (albeit for less than 2 seasons)  And supposedly people liked his play calling.  -  I think it's hard, once you've got the play calling 'bug', to give it up.    

I'm hoping our new DC doesn't want to be changing the body types of our front 7.  I'd like to tweak and add this offseason...and not rip apart and retool.  It takes up too many draft picks.  We already need most of our OL to be upgraded upon.

Two GM interviews set for today for our vacant GM job..

#1. Andrew Berry at Eagles-- Found the Browns exit door's as soon as Dorsey walked in..  Do you (or Jimmy) trust Berry will think Dorsey's building pieces are worthy?

#2. Monti Ossenfort at Patriots (scout)-- At first of hearing this name.. I thought Jimmy opened a New England area phone book & pointed at a name 🤭 (he won't know of me)

Than comes the conflicting reports of who might make sense if Stefanski had any influence in choosing a aligning GM... Vikings-- George Paton

reports were this weekend as Browns 3rd GM candidate... now undecided to interview... OR>> (AKA- scared to death of Jimma function)

Are we aligning to Paul's 2nd home Depo Stop? or does your new Coach have any real influence?     stay tuned...

• Thanks 1

I've heard conflicting reports about Andrew Berry's player evaluation talents.

And General Paton has declined GM interviews before....so.....Haslam's gang would make a good candidate for another declined interview.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Orion said:

I think Stefanski explained it very well in his presser.  'You could see me on the sideline not talking to anyone....I'm thinking...getting information in my headset...picking the next play for the situation....getting it in to the QB.....You're very busy' .  (said something of that nature)   So yes, ideally we'd like him to give all of that to an OC, leaving himself time to manage the game.  But,...he WAS an OC.  (albeit for less than 2 seasons)  And supposedly people liked his play calling.

Basically said in his Intro Presser that if he's the best choice to call plays, then he will... if not, then he won't.

If I were a betting man, and I've been known to be, I'd bet that he'll be the best choice in 2020. My reason is I don't see a likely OC candidate that will have his experience and knowledge of the offense to be developed and installed. This is much the same case as it was with Pettine in his first year with us.

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

#1. Andrew Berry at Eagles-- Found the Browns exit door's as soon as Dorsey walked in..  Do you (or Jimmy) trust Berry will think Dorsey's building pieces are worthy?

Actually Berry was with us thru Dorsey's first year as GM, then he left or the Eagles job in 2019.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20190225/player-personnel-exec-andrew-berry-leaves-browns-for-eagles

12 hours ago, Orion said:

I've heard conflicting reports about Andrew Berry's player evaluation talents.

Not sure player evaluation is Berry's thing. While he has some scouting background, he rose quickly to take management roles, e.g., Scouting Coordinator, Director Pro Scouting, etc.

This will drive many here nuts, but I see us returning more to The Process than I do installing another Player-Super-Evaluator-in-Chief as GM.

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Actually Berry was with us thru Dorsey's first year as GM, then he left or the Eagles job in 2019.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20190225/player-personnel-exec-andrew-berry-leaves-browns-for-eagles

Not sure player evaluation is Berry's thing. While he has some scouting background, he rose quickly to take management roles, e.g., Scouting Coordinator, Director Pro Scouting, etc.

This will drive many here nuts, but I see us returning more to The Process than I do installing another Player-Super-Evaluator-in-Chief as GM.

So is he  just a guy that is going to have a title, but little or no actual input into identifying talent and selecting it.  So, maybe all he will be is the guy that negotiates the contracts of the guys that someone else chooses? 

Or is that just the way to let him off the hook when he does a bad job at talent evaluation....blame it on Rio? 

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Basically said in his Intro Presser that if he's the best choice to call plays, then he will... if not, then he won't.

If I were a betting man, and I've been known to be, I'd bet that he'll be the best choice in 2020. My reason is I don't see a likely OC candidate that will have his experience and knowledge of the offense to be developed and installed. This is much the same case as it was with Pettine in his first year with us.

I would wait to make that bet until I knew for sure whether Kubiac is coming or not one way or the other.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

my bad folks.. my sorry backwards counting of years Berry served.. and i still don't own a 2020 calendar... It's all a process 

https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/browns-interviewed-eagles-andrew-berry-and-patriots-monti-ossenfort-for-gm-on-friday-but-will-go-through-the-process.html 

Why not interview Eliot Wolf for the GM position? Of all 32 teams watching the Shrine Bowl practices this week. 7 teams have not* interviewed 1 player.. Browns sit as 1 of 7 at Zero interviews.. Your Scouting staff ain't blind..it's got to be like walking on egg shells & around sitting Ducks in Berea... 

Can we get the right people in place before The Senior Bowl practices start, please? (and it's not* Depo, your brother-in-law or wife, ect, ect)  Edit--Updating post #2 as GM search begins 

I think in an ideal world, the Browns would probably want a hierarchy something along the lines of:

President of Football Operations: Berry

GM: Patton

Assistant GM: Wolf and Hightower

HC: Stefanski

This would put the team in "alignment" from top down. I'm not sure how good Berry is at drafting players, he is highly respected in the community so I would assume he has a pretty good idea. But I think where he really makes his money is in the organizational structure and contracts. Although, I'm not sure if the Browns would be able to hire him away from Phily for this type of position. In addition, this would allow Patton, Wolf and Hightower to focus on the players and draft. There would have to be a VP of Professional and a VP of college scouting somewhere in there which I would assume would remain Setta, Kova, Mainley, etc. 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I see us returning more to The Process than I do installing another Player-Super-Evaluator-in-Chief as GM.

...And that, of course reminds one of 'The Committee'.  Where Shashi, who had to be told which player they were interested in looking at while at a pro day, had final say on draft picks / the roster.  ( now we have, 'The Family' )

1 hour ago, Bigalow80 said:

I think in an ideal world, the Browns would probably want a hierarchy something along the lines of:

President of Football Operations: Berry

GM: Patton

Assistant GM: Wolf and Hightower

HC: Stefanski

This would put the team in "alignment" from top down. I'm not sure how good Berry is at drafting players, he is highly respected in the community so I would assume he has a pretty good idea. But I think where he really makes his money is in the organizational structure and contracts. Although, I'm not sure if the Browns would be able to hire him away from Phily for this type of position. In addition, this would allow Patton, Wolf and Hightower to focus on the players and draft. There would have to be a VP of Professional and a VP of college scouting somewhere in there which I would assume would remain Setta, Kova, Mainley, etc. 

That sounds good to me.  Though I don't know if the Paton's move would be considered upward or lateral in that situation.

Question though would be:  who is whose boss,   Stink or Berry? 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The great thing about The Process - for those who have complete, unwavery support of it - is when it produces poor draft results there's absolutely no one to blame for them. Not his fault, not that guy's fault, definitely not that dude's fault. 

• Sad 1