THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

we got those Gip^^(interviewed*) moving on to ThesE^^

I didn't see where you said either not interviewed or not scheduled for interview. 

But I will say....I am not really bothered by the thoroughness of this.   It seems to me like the Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Panthers did almost no due diligence, and hired the first or second person they talked to. 

Expecially now that the Browns are the only game in town with anyone aspiring to be a HC next year. 

Unless Atlanta finally decides to dump  their coach...which we thought would happen, but has not. 

But I guess both he and Dmitroff are staying (must not have seen this announcement):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/27/falcons-dan-quinn-thomas-dimitroff-job-status-update

By the way.....Dimitroff is another Barberton guy.   But he spent a lot of time in Canada where his dad was HC of both the Ottawa Roughriders and Hamilton Tiger-Cats. 

This is kind of like a big roulette wheel you just wonder where the ball will land.......minus a few not in play anymore.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It seems to me like the Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Panthers did almost no due diligence, and hired the first or second person they talked to. 

Fits only in Washington & Dallas.. Riverboat was a Rooney rule hire in Washington.1st interviewed..Dallas, 1)Marvin Lewis 2) McCarthy... in. out. day & half 

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

Fits only in Washington & Dallas.. Riverboat was a Rooney rule hire in Washington...Dallas, 1)Marvin Lewis 2) McCarthy... in. out. day & half

Lewis was the  Rooney Rule interview.   I don't think Rivera was hired just to satisfy the Rooney rule.  He is a proven commodity.  I am not questioning the fact that they interviewed him and only him (as hiring him satisfied the Rooney rule).  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Lewis was the  Rooney Rule interview.   I don't think Rivera was hired just to satisfy the Rooney rule.  He is a proven commodity.  I am not questioning the fact that they interviewed him and only him (as hiring him satisfied the Rooney rule).  

Ron was a good pick, but, Skins are just a bad organization. I hope he's successful but odds are against him. Name a coach who did well in the Dan era. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nope, not happening. Browns saying the HC by Saturday. Not enough time to interview the outliers. 

I'd like to believe this H, but unless McDaniels is already announced? Stepanski can't be announced until Saturday after his game..Heck the Prez of Vikings football might even fire Mike Zimmer right after his post game presser :o.. We can only beat ourselves.. Call it Off Sunday...presser him up Monday👀..OR --- It will be a classic media bonanza that Jimmy holds the remote.. Than still calls McDaniel's🙃 (opps Saleh? ?)

Ohio high school football coach jumps to the pros? Yes it happened!  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/dolphins-hire-assistant-coach-from-high-school-ranks

The Dolphins have reached into the high school ranks for their latest hire, but coach Brian Flores isn’t straying far from his Patriots roots in doing so.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are hiring Curt Kuntz as a defensive backs coach.

Kuntz has no NFL experience, and has spent the last seven years at Struthers High School in Ohio.

That might not seem like a link to an NFL future, but that school occupies a special place. It’s the alma mater of Steve Belichick, the father of Patriots coach Bill Belichick. The school recently built a new athletics facility, called the Steve Belichick Complex, and Bill Belichick turned up on the Patriots’ team website wearing Struthers gear.

The Dolphins fired safeties coach Tony Oden after the season, and Kuntz is expected to worth with Josh Boyer, Miami’s cornerbacks coach and defensive passing game

Also....this was proposed by Peter King:     A new rule that NO  HC candidates can be interviewed for any team until after the Super Bowl. 

He says the current situation favors candidates who do not coach for teams still in the playoffs.   And I guess that is a fair statement.   McCarthy...out of coaching a year.  Rivera...fired mid season.  Rhule...a college coach whose season is over.   Judge....his team out of the playoffs now. 

ONLY the Browns are still in the process of interviewing coaches whose teams are still in it:   Stefanski, Bienemy, Roman, Saleh.    King says that the guys who coach for teams still playing are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to being hired.   And, he says that particularly applies to Minority candidates.    NFL owners tend to be conservative, but waiting until after the SB for any team to conduct interviews would even the playing field...for both guys whose teams are still active and for minorities. 

Note:  the talk this morning is that no "minority" coach has yet been hired.....but, to be honest, this claim is bogus.  They are only referring to black coaches....but Rivera is certainly a minority as an Hispanic.   And would they also not consider Saleh a "minority"  because he is of (apparently)  Middle Eastern/Arabic descent rather than black? 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nope, not happening. Browns saying the HC by Saturday. Not enough time to interview the outliers. 

I guess my question is:   why the major rush?   It is not like they are now in competition with any other team now that all the other vacancies have been filled.    It is not like they need someone on board to get started in recruiting...as is the case with a college coach situation.  It is not like they need the HC on hand to handle practices.  Why the rush?

Honestly...I would wait to see what happens in NE.     In a bizarre, but not impossible scenario that I related...there is another name that could come available:    Bill Belichick.    Yes, weird, wacky, bizarre....but there is a power struggle going on there in NE, and it is NOT a slam dunk that BB wins it. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Also....this was proposed by Peter King:     A new rule that NO  HC candidates can be interviewed for any team until after the Super Bowl. 

He says the current situation favors candidates who do not coach for teams still in the playoffs.   And I guess that is a fair statement.   McCarthy...out of coaching a year.  Rivera...fired mid season.  Rhule...a college coach whose season is over.   Judge....his team out of the playoffs now. 

ONLY the Browns are still in the process of interviewing coaches whose teams are still in it:   Stefanski, Bienemy, Roman, Saleh.    King says that the guys who coach for teams still playing are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to being hired.   And, he says that particularly applies to Minority candidates.    NFL owners tend to be conservative, but waiting until after the SB for any team to conduct interviews would even the playing field...for both guys whose teams are still active and for minorities. 

Note:  the talk this morning is that no "minority" coach has yet been hired.....but, to be honest, this claim is bogus.  They are only referring to black coaches....but Rivera is certainly a minority as an Hispanic.   And would they also not consider Saleh a "minority"  because he is of (apparently)  Middle Eastern/Arabic descent rather than black? 

Nah Pete. Your proposed  rule would  put teams searching for  new coaches at an extreme  disadvantage.  Assuming that  they  weren't  interested in someone involved  in the playoffs.  Say the Browns really want  Saleh. They're probably  going to have  to wait until after the  Super Bowl to hire  him. The combine is just  three  weeks after.  Not a lot of  time to get  organized. The Redskins in that scenario would  have almost a  month  head start, as opposed to a  week if we hire McDaniels.  LOL, make it  like college,  where you can poach  coaches before their Bowl games. 

Regarding  minority  hires, Steven A Smith  went on  a tirade about that so over the top it was almost  laughable. FYI Steve, the NFL isn't  an affirmative action employer. The most qualified candidates  get hired. So stop  playing the race card.

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How is his health?  That is why he retired as Broncos  HC.

Wouldn't be much of a difference as currently. Maybe a bit, but he is coaching in Minnesota as of now.

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Nah Pete. Your proposed  rule would  put teams searching for  new coaches at an extreme  disadvantage.  Assuming that  they  weren't  interested in someone involved  in the playoffs.  Say the Browns really want  Saleh. They're probably  going to have  to wait until after the  Super Bowl to hire  him. The combine is just  three  weeks after.  Not a lot of  time to get  organized. The Redskins in that scenario would  have almost a  month  head start, as opposed to a  week if we hire McDaniels.  LOL, make it  like college,  where you can poach  coaches before their Bowl games. 

But he says his rule would NOT give the Redsking a month head start.   NO ONE would be allowed to interview for a new coach, even if they did not make the playoffs. 

Regarding  minority  hires, Steven A Smith  went on  a tirade about that so over the top it was almost  laughable. FYI Steve, the NFL isn't  an affirmative action employer. The most qualified candidates  get hired. So stop  playing the race card.

They decried that there were only currently   4  minority HCs in the NFL....but the fact is, that mirrors the general population.   4 out of 32 is 12.5%.  The population of the US is about 12% black.   If you add in  Hispanic/Asian etc., yes...the minority percentage of the population does go way up.  

I'm starting to think we don't want McDaniels and our coach will be somebody different. I mean, if we really wanted him, wouldn't we go out AND GET HIM? 

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's  my point Tom. EVERY  team looking for a  new head coach would be at a serious  disadvantage compared to the teams that weren't. 

I guess I can see that, but...isn't it that way for every team that fires its HC no matter when a team begins it search for a new HC?   

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm starting to think we don't want McDaniels and our coach will be somebody different. I mean, if we really wanted him, wouldn't we go out AND GET HIM? 

Look at who we are dealing with at who is conducting the search.   They may not really have a clue what they want to do...so they are shotgunning the process.  There may also be the  the long running riff......who Haslam wants in his heart, vs. what his people (Depo) are telling him what he should have. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I can see that, but...isn't it that way for every team that fires its HC no matter when a team begins it search for a new HC?   

True, but the earlier you start the less of a  disadvantage it is.  It also  (as I've said) gives you first  shot at the  best assistants. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

why the major rush?   It is not like they are now in competition with any other team now that all the other vacancies have been filled.

...not a MAJOR rush, but you'd want to hire coordinators and assistants before all of the good ones are snatched away from you.

There is a reason that teams are looking for a new head coach (with the slight exception every now and then). Those teams SHOULD have an advantage. It's the same reason that the draft is structured the way it is. It's to try and even the playing field. 

Just think of it like this, the time it is taking all these teams to get coaches, add that on to after SB, where they still have to put together staffs, and upcoming draft and FA. Then look how that would compare to say KC, BAL, SF, GB, NO, NE, etc. That is giving the TOP teams the advantage

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nah Pete. Your proposed  rule would  put teams searching for  new coaches at an extreme  disadvantage.  Assuming that  they  weren't  interested in someone involved  in the playoffs.  Say the Browns really want  Saleh. They're probably  going to have  to wait until after the  Super Bowl to hire  him. The combine is just  three  weeks after.  Not a lot of  time to get  organized.

Combine prep is more the purview of GMs and Scouts than HCs and their staff.

That said... teams who did not make the playoffs should get get the jump on HC and staff selection... same as they get earlier picks in the Draft.

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

...not a MAJOR rush, but you'd want to hire coordinators and assistants before all of the good ones are snatched away from you.

We're blessed to have so few HC openings this go 'round, but even in normal times the weight of getting the HC right is so much greater than having a deeper staff pool. And that pool is huge when you look in the college ranks as well as NFL retreads.

Most of the candidates know the key staffers they'd want... and have likely chatted with them about "hypothetical opportunities". Hell... they are asked about what their staffs might look like in the interview process.

Then add that staff turnover of those that weren't ready for prime time is not uncommon... especially at the position coach level... and there's always time for course correction.

That said... teams who did not make the playoffs should get get the jump on HC and staff selection... same as they get earlier picks in the Draft.

King's point was likely more about the candidates whose teams are still in the playoffs not getting a fair chance to get the new jobs than it was about the teams getting a head start. They would be the ones at a disadvantage.    In a sense, at least, that is true so far this year....The only guy hired so far that had an NFL job at the end of the season was Joe Judge, and his team had just been put out of the playoffs, and Boom....he gets the Giants gig, out of nowhere seemingly.