THE BROWNS BOARD

HC/GM/Position Coach tracker

gumby73

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Combine prep is more the purview of GMs and Scouts than HCs and their staff.

i agree totally right here^^  maybe Haslam does trust Elliott Wolfe more than i thought? Wolfe is now a assistant GM to no one. Well rounded to be our draft/pro personal guy to bang heads with scouts than Gm's.. Alonzo Highsmith? not sure where this guy goes or is even still around? My guess Highsmith had big ties to Chad Thomas & Redwine being on the roster..The U is Highsmith's alum

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Combine prep is more the purview of GMs and Scouts than HCs and their staff.

That said... teams who did not make the playoffs should get get the jump on HC and staff selection... same as they get earlier picks in the Draft.

:) but we don't have a GM yet Tour- at least one with the title. They had better keep Wolf around for that purpose, at least until after the draft. And the new HC had better be on board with whatever the scouting staff has in their reports.. The combine is at least 6 weeks away- but the grunts have been doing groundwork for months.... 

Updated post #2 as Jim Schwartz confirmed interviewed...The Hiring Crew, flies to Minnesota to interview Kevin Stefanski Thursday... Starting to see some coaching Staff fillings..Here's some noted guys off the market...

Skins- DC- Jack Delrio//Ken Zampese QB coach///Scott Turner OC  

Dallas-DL Coach- Jim Tomsula

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

:) but we don't have a GM yet Tour- at least one with the title. They had better keep Wolf around for that purpose, at least until after the draft.

And the new HC had better be on board with whatever the scouting staff has in their reports..

Why? I'd be shocked if the average Coordinator or position coach had any more of a well-founded notion as to who they'd want to draft at a given position than you or I. These guys have FULL time jobs, h... up to 80 hours a week full. I doubt they watch more than a single College game a week... and then likely their alma mater's.

GM... schme-em... We have plenty of organized scouting (see below) plus a dozen or so assistant scouts...

Mike Cetta Director, Scouting

Steve Malin Director, College Scouting

Dan Saganey Director, Pro Scouting

Glenn Cook Assistant Director, Scouting

Jimmy Noel Assistant Director, Pro Scouting

Adam Al-Khayyal Scout

Zach Ayers Scout

Colton Chapple Scout

Sam DeLuca Scout

Matt Donahoe Scout

Gerald McCully Scout

Max Paulus Scout

A couple interesting stats regarding Jim Schwartz while DC in Philly:

In his 4 years as Eagles DC in regular season/playoffs:

16.1 points/game at home- FEWEST in NFL

20.4 points/game - 5th fewest in NFL

Jim Schwartz, third down rankings:

2019: 5

2018: 8

2017: 3

Jim Schwartz's defenses have allowed over 30 points just 8 times since 2016. That is in 70 games.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

Jim Schwartz's defenses have allowed over 30 points just 8 times since 2016. That is in 70 games.

I have no problems with the Swartz the DC, I wish we had him as DC. I have some concerns with Swartz the HC... 

Edited by Nero
English is not my first language, stop asking me why do I edit my posts
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

How many times just this past season did the Browns defense give up 30 points?    Let me check......  I see that it was  6 times....including each of the last 3 games. 

7 hours ago, Nero said:

English is not my first language, stop asking me why do I edit my posts

We just wish it was your third language... ;)

31 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We just wish it was your third language... ;)

Until some years ago... It was. Now I think my English is better than my Basque. 

34 minutes ago, Nero said:

Until some years ago... It was. Now I think my English is better than my Basque. 

Your English is good. Don’t let anyone tell you different. It’s a living language that changes like any other living language. Understanding is all that matters.

Off topic alert, but one of the most interesting classes l ever took at school was the history of the English language.

Way back when, like BC, England was run by the Celts. Then the Romans came and kicked their asses and took over. Then the Germanic tribes came and kicked the Romans’ asses and took over. Then the French Normans came over and kicked asses snd took over. And then the Anglo Saxons kicked their asses and took over. 

I might have the order mixed up, and may have left some conquests out, but basically England was occupied by people of varying cultural backgrounds for hundred plus year stretches at a time within the last 2000 years, and modern day English has become a bastardization of Latin, German, French and Greek, plus over 1000 years of tweaking since then.

Once you conquer a country, there’s nothing left to do other that live and breed, so intermingling of people and languages happens. 

That’s why the smart kids in the spelling bee ask the origin of the word. Because it matters in spelling and pronunciation. 

Whereas Spanish is basically a direct descendent of Latin. Easier to learn. Vowels for the most part consistently sound the same way.  

Also, l like Saleh. He’s my dude. Team Saleh!

38 minutes ago, Nero said:

lol...

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Anyone else listening to Joe Judge's intro presser? Damned impressive...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Your English is good. Don’t let anyone tell you different. It’s a living language that changes like any other living language. Understanding is all that matters.

Off topic alert, but one of the most interesting classes l ever took at school was the history of the English language.

Way back when, like BC, England was run by the Celts. Then the Romans came and kicked their asses and took over. Then the Germanic tribes came and kicked the Romans’ asses and took over. Then the French Normans came over and kicked asses snd took over. And then the Anglo Saxons kicked their asses and took over. 

Uhh, you got that mixed up some.   The Celts never "ran" England.....Celts are the Scots and Irish. The people there pre Rome were "Britons", not Celts.  Today the Britons, essentially are the Welsh .   After the Romans left Britain (I would not say their asses were kicked...they just left when Rome was deteriorating) , it was the Anglo-Saxons that invaded Britain (they were the Germanic tribes you speak of).  Then actually came the Danes/Norse who came close to conquering all of Britain (the 4 kingdoms: Wessex/Northumbria/East Anglia/Mercia).  They had the entirety of those kingdoms except for some swampland in Somerset...when King Alfred fought back...and his heirs took over and eventually England was form circa mid 900s.   Then in 1066 the Normans made their conquest.  But while the Normans did prevail....ultimately they became assimilated to the "English" ways.  There has been no "conquest" of Britain since 1066. (political/military...though American culture had made a conquest to a great extent....in the 20th century) 

I might have the order mixed up, and may have left some conquests out, but basically England was occupied by people of varying cultural backgrounds for hundred plus year stretches at a time within the last 2000 years, and modern day English has become a bastardization of Latin, German, French and Greek, plus over 1000 years of tweaking since then.

You got the order mixed up, see above, but I think you are pretty spot on regarding the language.

Once you conquer a country, there’s nothing left to do other that live and breed, so intermingling of people and languages happens. 

That’s why the smart kids in the spelling bee ask the origin of the word. Because it matters in spelling and pronunciation. 

Yes and yes.

Whereas Spanish is basically a direct descendent of Latin. Easier to learn. Vowels for the most part consistently sound the same way.  

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes! King Alfred! I was trying to think of his name but forgot. But yes, once he took his stand and took England back over is when the conquering of England ceased.

You may be mistaken about the Celts running England in BC though. I remember distinctly in the class that whoever took England from the Celts (I think it was the Romans) kicked their ass SO bad that they all fled to Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. There was little intermingling of cultures afterwards.

It was a fun fact that within modern day English there are fewer than a dozen words of Celtic origin. 

40 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I agree Nero's English is better than a lot of guys who have it as their native language.  I don't know if they do it anymore, but wow- has English evolved over the last 1,000+ years. I hated Shakespeare's plays because the language was already weird. LOL, alarums = alarms. Go back to Chaucer's Canterbury tales and its barely recognizable. Farther back to Old English Beowulf- Our HS English teacher taught himself to speak it, and its' essentially a foreign language, totally unintelligible. .

True on Spanish being a descendant of Latin. Had to take a year of Latin in HS- and hated it. Spanish was totally different, I took it all four years in HS, and another year in college- I was one course short of a minor in it. Ha our senior assignment was reading Don Quijote and Lazarillo deTormes in the original 16th century Spanish- like equal to Shakespearean English. But if you don't use it, you lose it. My listening (you're talking too fast) and speaking (now what's that word?) are pretty well shot, but I can still hack my way reading through a newspaper in Spanish... 

9 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Yes! King Alfred! I was trying to think of his name but forgot. But yes, once he took his stand and took England back over is when the conquering of England ceased.

You may be mistaken about the Celts running England in BC though. I remember distinctly in the class that whoever took England from the Celts (I think it was the Romans) kicked their ass SO bad that they all fled to Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. There was little intermingling of cultures afterwards.

It was a fun fact that within modern day English there are fewer than a dozen words of Celtic origin. 

Well, I suspect that there was a lot of genetic similarity between the Celts and the Britons, such that you could call them Celtic Britons.   But I think ultimately there was a bifurcation between the Britons and Celts.    The people that Rome conquered were these Celtic Britons.  But after Rome left, and the Saxons invaded,  it was the Britons, not the Celts (Scotch/Irish)...who were vanquished. These Britons then basically were left to settle, as I said, in Wales, and in Cornwall, and in Brittany in current day France.

If there was a  King Arthur...(and there was a personage of legend that the stories were based on) .he may have been actually the Warlord of the Britons  (and not the King of Britain).  He fought, and during his time, he won the battle against the Saxon invasion,   but after he was gone his cause was lost.

It is a theory that the Britons, some having had to exile in Brittany.....which then later was part of and allied with the Normans, that the Norman invasion/conquest could actually be seen as a "reconquest"  by the "rightful" people of the land of Briton.  That William the Conqueror was the reincarnated embodiment of King Arthur (or, at least his symbolic if not actual heir).   In other words,   from the tale's name for Arthur:   The Once and Future King. 

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I agree Nero's English is better than a lot of guys who have it as their native language.  I don't know if they do it anymore, but wow- has English evolved over the last 1,000+ years. I hated Shakespeare's plays because the language was already weird. LOL, alarums = alarms. Go back to Chaucer's Canterbury tales and its barely recognizable. Farther back to Old English Beowulf- Our HS English teacher taught himself to speak it, and its' essentially a foreign language, totally unintelligible. .

True on Spanish being a descendant of Latin. Had to take a year of Latin in HS- and hated it. Spanish was totally different, I took it all four years in HS, and another year in college- I was one course short of a minor in it. Ha our senior assignment was reading Don Quijote and Lazarillo deTormes in the original 16th century Spanish- like equal to Shakespearean English. But if you don't use it, you lose it. My listening (you're talking too fast) and speaking (now what's that word?) are pretty well shot, but I can still hack my way reading through a newspaper in Spanish... 

So, you are saying, essentially, that you said   "Asta La Vista Baby" to your Spanish?  

By the way.....some of the "exiled Celtic/Britons" from the Saxon invasion also made their way to Spain....to Galicia

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Thanks a lot. I wrote "corncern" and then corrected it and I decided to make a joke with it. 

Whereas Spanish is basically a direct descendent of Latin. 

Wrong. If you're going to go back in the British history as far as BC, I'll do the same with Spain. 

We had Celts in the north and other tribes in the south, we had Basques for example which to this day no one knows where do they come from. Later we had a mix of tribes until Rome conquered it, but we had some influx by Phoenicia and Cartago (descendant of phoenicians) too. 

Spain has always had a lot of trading in the Mediterranean, which  until Portuguese explorers opened paths to Eastern Asia and Spain to America was the place where most goods, culture, knowledge and guess what, languages where traded. 

The peninsula was invaded by the Visigoths (german tribe) , ruled for some hundred years to later be invaded by the Muslims, with a whole other language and culture. 

I would even dare to say that Spain's language is richer, as it has influx of german, latin, and arabic languages. 

Easier to learn. Vowels for the most part consistently sound the same way.  

True that. If you want to speak, we have only 5 vowels, you speak what you write (no muted consonants, an I is an I and always sounds the same). 

Easier? I wouldn't say so. English is said to be the easiest language to learn, and for some obvious reason: Grammar. It is very simple and you almost don't need to conjugate verbs. I prefer struggling with pronounciation and spelling than with being comprehensible. I wouldn't like to be in the skin of someone who has to go from "am/is/are/was/were" to "soy, eres, es, somos, sois, son." And I only conjugated the Present Tense. We have 15 more tenses. Enjoy trying to speak proper Spanish, lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

True that. If you want to speak, we have only 5 vowels, you speak what you write (no muted consonants, an I is an I and always sounds the same). 

Easier? I wouldn't say so. English is said to be the easiest language to learn, and for some obvious reason: Grammar. It is very simple and you almost don't need to conjugate verbs. I prefer struggling with pronounciation and spelling than with being comprehensible. I wouldn't like to be in the skin of someone who has to go from "am/is/are/was/were" to "soy, eres, es, somos, sois, son." And I only conjugated the Present Tense. We have 15 more tenses. Enjoy trying to speak proper Spanish, lol. 

That's where I'd get totally lost now Nero- future perfect tense and all that stuff......  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

So, you are saying, essentially, that you said   "Asta La Vista Baby" to your Spanish?  

By the way.....some of the "exiled Celtic/Britons" from the Saxon invasion also made their way to Spain....to Galicia

Not on purpose Gipper, just wasn't anyone around to converse with..... And I didn't deliberately go around trying to dig up Spanish literature. And I do remember a little more than Hasta la vista and buenos dias. 

• Upvote 1

I've been hearing a lot about how good Stefanski would be for our team. He makes a lot of sense the more I learn about him. For instance, I just heard that Baker had a QB rating over 100 on play-action passes, and under 70 on everything else. Guess who else does really well with play-action passes? Kirk Cousins, and ever since Stefanski got to be OC, the offense has been cooking. 

22 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I've been hearing a lot about how good Stefanski would be for our team.

My take:   Jimmuh stated that he wanted someone with HC experience ( I think he did, right?).

I think he's wanted The Visor (McDaniels) for a long time.   He wants some of that Patriot magic.  McDaniels has been part of that magic.  DePodesta could stand on a stack of bibles and analytic reports, jump up and down and say Stefanski all he wants (or anyone else for that matter)......won't matter.

...of course I was quite wrong when I was sure that the Giants were going to give McDaniels anything he wanted to coach in NY.....so.......  :)

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, but IS THIS STILL 'MERICA?

We speak one language round these parts, and it is 'MERICAN.

You sissy boys talkin' about other people and cultures like there's any other places in the world worth a shit like 'MERICA. There ain't. 

'MERICA, FUCK YEAH!

42 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I've been hearing a lot about how good Stefanski would be for our team. He makes a lot of sense the more I learn about him. For instance, I just heard that Baker had a QB rating over 100 on play-action passes, and under 70 on everything else. Guess who else does really well with play-action passes? Kirk Cousins, and ever since Stefanski got to be OC, the offense has been cooking. 

That could make for a good offensive coordinator.

But we need to stop being so myopic regarding what we want in a head coach. 

We need someone who can properly run an entire team, not one who can design plays. 

• Upvote 1