THE BROWNS BOARD

why I hope it's not Stefansky....

Tacosman

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Just had to come back for a laugh.

The run heavy team that uses a ton of play action, rollouts, 13 personnel and plays hard nosed down- hill football is up early 17-7 on a KC squad that literally plays the exact opposite brand of ball.

More importantly, because of what Derrick Henry and the Titans Oline creates, you're watching the Chiefs load 8 and 9 man fronts and selling out to stop the run.   As I type, tackle eligible off of motion and a hard play fake.    EVERYONE thought Henry was getting the ball on 3rd and 1.        

Right now Parcells football is beating your precious Bill Walsh style. 

"oh, those x's and o's gonna get ya you betcha !"

LOL LOL LOL LOL  I just stopped in for a LOL !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

No issue with the result.  My point is, there is more than one way to get it done.  And when you don't have a QB you can count on to dominate a game like Mahomes... which few, if any can, then using the running game essentially to facilitate closing out the game ONLY isn't really an option. 

Titans defense really let them down.  

Nah- Mahomes was just too good and beat 'em. And the classic- once the Chiefs got a big lead, it effectively took Henry out of the game and forced Tannehill to beat them. He got exposed for what he is- a middlin' QB.  

OTOH- the Packers had no answer to the 49ers running game , and it forced Rodgers (who's an elite QB by any standard) into making a bunch of mistakes. That is when the Niners all world front four weren't seriously harassing him....  Jimmy G tries eight passes? You have to be kidding me. Of course, the old axiom applies- if they can't stop it, keep on doing it until they can.... 

• Upvote 1

The Chiefs' offensive line dominated. Their skill players had a field day. Green Bay's defense was helpless.

The niners have so much talent, also, they rolled. next up - Chiefs vs Niners... should be a blockbuster !

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The Chiefs' offensive line dominated. Their skill players had a field day. Green Bay's defense was helpless.

The niners have so much talent, also, they rolled. next up - Chiefs vs Niners... should be a blockbuster !

kind of funny Cam and Schwarts in the SB... LOL... Only the Browns could fuck up a wet dream...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

kind of funny Cam and Schwarts in the SB... LOL... Only the Browns could fuck up a wet dream...

And you forgot  Rieter.2/5 of their starting  o-line. + one backup.  

Well,  we got Hunt  from  them. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Just had to come back for a laugh.

The run heavy team that uses a ton of play action, rollouts, 13 personnel and plays hard nosed down- hill football is up early 17-7 on a KC squad that literally plays the exact opposite brand of ball.

More importantly, because of what Derrick Henry and the Titans Oline creates, you're watching the Chiefs load 8 and 9 man fronts and selling out to stop the run.   As I type, tackle eligible off of motion and a hard play fake.    EVERYONE thought Henry was getting the ball on 3rd and 1.        

Right now Parcells football is beating your precious Bill Walsh style. 

Well said Tia!  Or how about former Cleveland Brown (Mostert) that shredded GB's D for about 220 yards rushing and 4 TDs. 

Stay tuned for Taco telling us how much more important Garoppolo's 8 passes were...   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Well said Tia!  Or how about former Cleveland Brown (Mostert) that shredded GB's D for about 220 yards rushing and 4 TDs. 

Stay tuned for Taco telling us how much more important Garoppolo's 8 passes were...   

I don't ever remember him being on the Browns. 

It's not so much about the RB itself with Shanny as much as finding a ball carrier to fit his system.  A combination of one cut runner with a blocking scheme that lends itself to creating the space for them.  

In turn, these types of zone runs are creating the need for quicker backers and lineman.    And a bulk of the NFL runs some type of zone split, Shanny just incorporates more of the stretch and toss looks.   The trade off for some of the quicks up front is size.  Which is why an offense like Tennessee or even New Orleans can run some zone mixed with the power and gap runs then find immediate success while grinding defenses down.   

Side note - it's a big reason I think Philip Rivers agent would be smart to reach out to the Titans.  That offense is 2006, 2007, prime Rivers-Chargers type material.   Big oline with a running back to help shoulder the load.  Two tall receivers on the outside so Rivers can go back to attacking the perimeter deep and the middle off play action.  Toss in a promising young TE like Jonnu Smith and a defense that only needs a couple more tweaks but is still good enough to get him the ball back a couple times a game.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, tiamat63 said:

It's not so much about the RB itself with Shanny as much as finding a ball carrier to fit his system.  A combination of one cut runner with a blocking scheme that lends itself to creating the space for them.  

In turn, these types of zone runs are creating the need for quicker backers and lineman.    And a bulk of the NFL runs some type of zone split, Shanny just incorporates more of the stretch and toss looks.   The trade off for some of the quicks up front is size.  Which is why an offense like Tennessee or even New Orleans can run some zone mixed with the power and gap runs then find immediate success while grinding defenses down.   

Side note - it's a big reason I think Philip Rivers agent would be smart to reach out to the Titans.  That offense is 2006, 2007, prime Rivers-Chargers type material.   Big oline with a running back to help shoulder the load.  Two tall receivers on the outside so Rivers can go back to attacking the perimeter deep and the middle off play action.  Toss in a promising young TE like Jonnu Smith and a defense that only needs a couple more tweaks but is still good enough to get him the ball back a couple times a game.  

rivers is old.......and does not look like he has much of an arm left anymore.....

53 minutes ago, browns52 said:

are you kidding...shwartz may not be joe thomas...but shit....he is 100 times better than our rt we have now...and our lt....yikes....

I am just saying that  those former Browns were not the difference makers to these teams. Anyone that is on the roster of Super Bowl team may contribute some,   but, like I said,  I think the Chiefs win if they have  different guy playing RT beside Schwartz.  

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't ever remember him (Mostert) being on the Browns. 

2015 Cleveland Browns

Kick & Punt Returns

Games Punt Returns Kick Returns  
No. Player  Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
  Team Total 26.1   16   29 325 1 78 11.2 41 1041 0 53 25.4 7304
11 Travis Benjamin 26 WR 16 15 28 324 1 78 11.6           1302
21 Justin Gilbert 24 lcb 9 1           12 339 0 40 28.3 339
41 Raheem Mostert 23   3 0           12 309 0 53 25.8 309
10 Darius Jennings 23 wr 4 1           7 158 0 28 22.6 275
20 Shaun Draughn 28   5 0           5 106 0 31 21.2 117
15 Marlon Moore 28 wr 14 2           3 77 0 29 25.7 158
29 Duke Johnson 22 rb 16 7           2 52 0 30 26.0 965
22 Tramon Williams 32 RCB 15 15 1 1 0 1 1.0           3

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

2015 Cleveland Browns

Kick & Punt Returns

Games Punt Returns Kick Returns  
No. Player  Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
  Team Total 26.1   16   29 325 1 78 11.2 41 1041 0 53 25.4 7304
11 Travis Benjamin 26 WR 16 15 28 324 1 78 11.6           1302
21 Justin Gilbert 24 lcb 9 1           12 339 0 40 28.3 339
41 Raheem Mostert 23   3 0           12 309 0 53 25.8 309
10 Darius Jennings 23 wr 4 1           7 158 0 28 22.6 275
20 Shaun Draughn 28   5 0           5 106 0 31 21.2 117
15 Marlon Moore 28 wr 14 2           3 77 0 29 25.7 158
29 Duke Johnson 22 rb 16 7           2 52 0 30 26.0 965
22 Tramon Williams 32 RCB 15 15 1 1 0 1 1.0           3

That is more like a drop of coffee than a cup of coffee.

20 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I was only responsible for the truth.  I can't control how you handle it. 

Yeah- some of us are now so aged we don't remember guys who just dropped by for a cup of coffee anymore.....  Good catch on that one Flugs.... 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After keeping up with how many Ex-Browns are starting for KC, Texans and SF, I think I'm gonna be sick.🤢🤮

Yeah the Texans have Fells, Hyde, Johnson, and Mingo. Pretty sure I could come up with around a dozen ex browns if I bothered to look. 

Speaking of Barky Mingo, looks like he's having a long and undistinguished under performing career like another of the Browns first round picks- Kameron Wimbley.  Since it was before your time following the Browns, here's yet another Browns draft screw up Ag.  In 2006 the Browns traded down one spot in the first round with the Ravens swapping picks, and took Kam. With that pick Baltimore took Haloti Ngata. 🤮

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

That is more like a drop of coffee than a cup of coffee.

Pettine was the browns HC & DeSert never saw a RB carry in any game.. but had 1 fumble on 32 snaps all on ST returns... ya think he wanted the ball running at Pettine's defense for 200?

Good God... can we get more pitiful than bemoaning the loss of average or less than average talent? Aside from Schwartz that's what y'all are talking about.

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nah- Mahomes was just too good and beat 'em. And the classic- once the Chiefs got a big lead, it effectively took Henry out of the game and forced Tannehill to beat them. He got exposed for what he is- a middlin' QB. 

There was nothing wrong with Tannehill's play and numbers (68% completion on 31 throws, 2 TDs, 0 turnovers).

I thought TN abandoned the run too early, but their D giving up the KC TD just before the half had something to do with it.

18 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The Chiefs' offensive line dominated.

ummmmm.... no... not even close.

Mahomes was KC's leading rusher for a reason... was under pressure most of the game.

Their leading RB? Williams... 17 carries for 45 yards... less than 3 ypc.

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

ummmmm.... no... not even close.

Mahomes was KC's leading rusher for a reason... was under pressure most of the game.

Their leading RB? Williams... 17 carries for 45 yards... less than 3 ypc.

I disagree. Watched the game - I counted to five full seconds of no pressure, and then he would see the pocket start to collapse, and THEN he would take off. Says here the battered Titan defense was picked apart by Mahomes. Mahomes threw 27 passes in the first half. Completed 21 of them. That is almost 78 percent completion rate. For the whole game - he completed 36 of 50. 72 percent completion rate. That means he had a lot of time to run plays. The blocking was terrific. They just didn't have to run much.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/11/10/titans-kansas-city-chiefs-live-game-score-updates-patrick-mahomes-observations/4156411002/

Patrick Mahomes exploits banged-up Titans defense

No Jurrell Casey. No Malcolm Butler. No Jayon Brown.

All three of those key members of the Titans defense missed Sunday’s game because of injuries (Butler is out for the year with a wrist injury), and the battered unit was picked apart by Mahomes, who was making his return after a two-game absence because of an injury of his own.

The Chiefs quarterback threw 27 passes in the first half, completing 21 of them for 213 yards and a touchdown. Tannehill, by comparison, was just 5-of-7 for 87 yards and a touchdown. 

Mahomes finished 36-of-50 for 446 yards with three touchdowns. 

The only reason you're saying that is because you're still on the tangent about KC's Oline being "great".  They aren't, not even collectively.    They might skim the top half of the NFL in pass pro, but their run blocking is atrocious and eventually it's going to cost KC in the red zone.   Another reason the Chiefs use that lateral run game with Hill so much - to supplement their shitty movement up front.

Mahomes is just that brillaint.  But even with that brilliance, he has still missed time this season because of the shots his Oline has allowed.   They are a spotty group lifted by their QB and opposing coordinators fear of their skill positions.

So now we seeing the case that some are downplaying these former Browns players as not that big a deal, not difference makers, etc. Because of the position they play or because they aren't one of the best players in the league?

Sure sounds like the "dime a dozen..." rhetoric of a former poster.

16 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

So now we seeing the case that some are downplaying these former Browns players as not that big a deal, not difference makers, etc. Because of the position they play or because they aren't one of the best players in the league?

I was not saying that.  I was saying that they are "supporting actors"....that is was not THEIR play specifically that provides the difference between being a championship team.  You absolutely need some stud OL.  We know what its like to have crap for OL.   But you could have a great OL in front of DeShone Kizer, and I don't think it would have helped him a lot.  Put that OL in front of Mahomes...and there you go, off to the races.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I was not saying that.  I was saying that they are "supporting actors"....that is was not THEIR play specifically that provides the difference between being a championship team.  You absolutely need some stud OL.  We know what its like to have crap for OL.   But you could have a great OL in front of DeShone Kizer, and I don't think it would have helped him a lot.  Put that OL in front of Mahomes...and there you go, off to the races.

And you could have a great QB and a "crap OL" and not win. Its almost as if you need a well rounded TEAM. 

And I wasn't singling out anyone, but people who just watch football don't seem to recognize how crucial OL are. Because they aren't the "difference makers" or the sexy part of the game.

But to the part of the Browns (or any team) getting rid of someone and they go on to be an important piece somewhere else, that doesn't mean they would have been that on their former team for a number of reasons, and not all are because of something to do with that former team. 

4 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

No hitting below the belt...

• Schwartz was a big loss. Playing hardball with him over a principle that translated to nickels and dimes was Sashi's biggest mistake.
  • Reiter is a good Center, but Tretter is better.
  • Erving??? I draw the line at pining for a guy who has seen the field for 4 snaps since Week 10... including the playoffs.
  • Upvote 1