THE BROWNS BOARD

why I hope it's not Stefansky....

Tacosman

4 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

So now we seeing the case that some are downplaying these former Browns players as not that big a deal, not difference makers, etc. Because of the position they play or because they aren't one of the best players in the league?

Sure sounds like the "dime a dozen..." rhetoric of a former poster.

But not enough 6th grade swear words.  :lol:

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The only reason you're saying that is because you're still on the tangent about KC's Oline being "great".  They aren't, not even collectively.    They might skim the top half of the NFL in pass pro, but their run blocking is atrocious and eventually it's going to cost KC in the red zone.   Another reason the Chiefs use that lateral run game with Hill so much - to supplement their shitty movement up front.

Mahomes is just that brillaint.  But even with that brilliance, he has still missed time this season because of the shots his Oline has allowed.   They are a spotty group lifted by their QB and opposing coordinators fear of their skill positions.

I'll grant you the run blocking problems, but their pass protection has been excellent. They ran 35 pass plays, and handed the ball off on a run play 21 times. Mahomes IS brilliant - so was Baker in his rookie season. Having a star like Kelce helps him hugely. Probably the best? TE in the entire league. Having Watkins, a former 4th overall pick in the first round (Bills) also helps hugely. Having speed demon Hill, one of the fastest wr's in the entire league, also helps. (fifth round ? egad) (Williams, RB, was a UDFA).

They can run wide because of their tackles. Fisher 1st pick, Schwarts, 2nd round pick. I'm simply saying that they dominated in the AFC game, because they passed a good bit more often, ran just enough to keep the defense honest, and Watkins, Hill and Kelce make a far, far easier time for Mahomes to rock and roll. Even when his wr's are covered and Kelce isn't open, he had a lot of time, especially with Mahomes moving in the pocket, that he could take off if the play doesn't work. And he runs like a hotrod gazelle.

The interior of the line is not great - at least one was a UDFA.........etc. But they dominated in that AFC game. They just clicked on pass protection.

But only because he didn't get his clock cleaned as soon as he dropped back off the edges.

KC would have lost that game if they had had the Browns oline, regardless of how brilliant Mahomes is. lol

5 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

And you could have a great QB and a "crap OL" and not win. Its almost as if you need a well rounded TEAM. 

And I wasn't singling out anyone, but people who just watch football don't seem to recognize how crucial OL are. Because they aren't the "difference makers" or the sexy part of the game.

But to the part of the Browns (or any team) getting rid of someone and they go on to be an important piece somewhere else, that doesn't mean they would have been that on their former team for a number of reasons, and not all are because of something to do with that former team. 

Well, as someone pointed out, this Mostert guy that gained over 200 yards for the Niners on Sunday was once on the Browns, but play sparsely on STs. Was he even drafted by the Browns?    This was his 4th year in the league, and until this year he had all of 34 carries.  His best performance prior was to return 12 kicks for the Browns in 2015.

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, as someone pointed out, this Mostert guy that gained over 200 yards for the Niners on Sunday was once on the Browns, but play sparsely on STs. Was he even drafted by the Browns?    This was his 4th year in the league, and until this year he had all of 34 carries.  His best performance prior was to return 12 kicks for the Browns in 2015.

That is easy to find out with minimal research. No he wasn't drafted by the Browns. He wasn't drafted by anyone. He has been on 7 teams in those 4 years, 4 in 2015.

But I have NO CLUE why you quoted me in that? I never said one word about him. 

I'm reminded of Indy's OL the years they had Luck -- Doubtful if Indy could have won the whole thing because their GM was arguably worse than ours [ Hi, Trent Richardson! ] but KC's ridiculousness dressed up as an OL is going to end Mahomes career a few seasons earlier than it should.

KC does have more than a few bargain-bin starters -- including their UDFA RB williams.

To be fair they are paying their OL -- 3 of top 9 are OL

Side note - aren't we all glad we avoided drafting the Honey Badger?  Good times, great decisions.   #Sarcasm

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

That is easy to find out with minimal research. No he wasn't drafted by the Browns. He wasn't drafted by anyone. He has been on 7 teams in those 4 years, 4 in 2015.

But I have NO CLUE why you quoted me in that? I never said one word about him. 

I think it had to do with your statement about a player being on a former team, and Mostert did begin his career with the Browns. 

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think it had to do with your statement about a player being on a former team, and Mostert did begin his career with the Browns. 

My post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. But you/others were saying that these guys that are/were still playing aren't difference makers, etc. And were referring to OL. I responded only because the way it came off was because they aren't these high profile positions. And the fact that maybe even would be closer to your "side" is that just because the Browns got rid of them and they had success elsewhere that it was an indictment on Browns. And that is certainly not always the case. With your Mostert example, it's not an indictment on the other 5 teams who previously had him.

As for Schwartz, the Browns didn't "get rid of" him. He left in FA. I think the biggest indictment on the Browns is not trying to keep Shanahan. 

Why HC Stephanski is the real deal:

Things like this. He's unflappable. Has a great sense of humor. and he is ready to roll.

and his staff is looking stellar so far.

Knows how to handle any situation, I bet.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-rumors-browns-odell-beckham-must-explain-latest-bizarre-behavior-to-new-head-coach-kevin-stefanski.html

On 1/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, The Gipper said:

Yeah, Mostert did get his start with the Browns.  And he also  did nothing with three  other teams (including the  Ravens) before the  49ers  picked him up. Is this year a fluke? Certainly  can't  blame the  Browns on this one. 

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, Mostert did get his start with the Browns.  And he also  did nothing with three  other teams (including the  Ravens) before the  49ers  picked him up. Is this year a fluke? Certainly  can't  blame the  Browns on this one. 

Yea,  its like saying:  well  31 teams  (no Texans at that time)  passed 5-6 times each on Tom Brady, including the Patriots. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well. other than Shanny was his OC in Cleveland..and maybe the person sounded like a Shanny fit in San Fran.. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think it's an OLD episode... I think the one where Big Gay Al is removed as a Boy Scout leader? 

Isn't that most of them?  Or a cameo by Jesus?    

On 1/20/2020 at 5:31 PM, hoorta said:

Yeah the Texans have Fells, Hyde, Johnson, and Mingo. Pretty sure I could come up with around a dozen ex browns if I bothered to look. 

Speaking of Barky Mingo, looks like he's having a long and undistinguished under performing career like another of the Browns first round picks- Kameron Wimbley.  Since it was before your time following the Browns, here's yet another Browns draft screw up Ag.  In 2006 the Browns traded down one spot in the first round with the Ravens swapping picks, and took Kam. With that pick Baltimore took Haloti Ngata. 🤮

Well said Larry!  Out of the Texans you named - the only guy I missed last year was Fells (although he had way more TD receptions in Houston than he had here).  I just never got cozy with the Edward Scissorhands from KC we replaced him with.

Let's splash a little perspective cologne on the loss of Hyde and Duke - would anyone on the planet prefer their talent to Chubb and Hunt?  That said, just a Fells had a better season in Houston; so did Hyde rushing for over 1000 yards. 

Even though the guy had the instincts of a raccoon crossing a highway after dark - Mingo didn't draft himself in round 1.  After mocking his instincts, I have to applaud the guy's NFL survival skills.  I say such a thing because after Cleveland - the following coaches/teams signed him: Bill Belichick (NE 2016), Chuck Pagano (Indy 2017),  Pete Carroll (Seattle 2018), Bill O'Brien (Houston 2019).  3 of those teams were playoff teams that utilized him in STs and/or Defensive situations.  The smart coaches looked at him as a guy that can can not only run but as one willing to hustle at all times for the situations they need him for.  How?   Take out the think and remove the stink.  FWIW, he'll probably stick around another 3 years which would give him a 10 year career in a league where the average career only lasts about 3.5 years or so. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, The Gipper said:

Gips, why are you letting a guy that played 3 games in Cleveland make you this nervous?    I just remembered him.  Nothing more until you made it more....

I just got a kick out of it because you're a trivia buff that frequently likes to correct people when they're wrong.  AND, you thought you were doing this with me after I jokingly called him a former Cleveland Brown when you immediately Gippered up "I don't ever remember this guy playing for the Cleveland Browns."  Well he did and during his short stint of 3 games as an undrafted rookie here - he had 12 KO returns in 3 games with a good average and long of 53 yards.  I DID look that up. 

Around the time he was here, fans (inclusive of me) complained we didn't bring in rookies with any talent. BUT, does a 3 game synopsis for an undrafted guy really tell us what he's capable of?   No, but if he can create a positive impression within the short window especially on a team allegedly lacking this - why not give the salary cap bargain more opportunities and see if it can eventually lead to additional role/promotion?  Instead, we just let him go as did other teams.  Back in the day, the guy in my avatar (Greg Pruitt) cracked in first as a PR/KR guy as Leroy Kelly's career was coming to a close.  That said, he generated a lot of excitement in that role to remind us what he's capable of and why we drafted him as high in the draft as we did.  If we only gave an undrafted guy like Tony (T-Bone) Jones his first 3 games and cut him - we would have missed out on some very reliable LT play here.   The choice is always to quit and start over, which we've done way too frequently IMO - meaning we've wasted a lot of time and training on guys we've never had any intentions on keeping past the cup of coffee. We're never building above the foundation...  When I hear coaches and guys  that worked for BB in NE quoting him as saying "Don't tell me what he can't do - tell me what he CAN do."    For example, TN Titans GM Jon Robinson (who worked for BB in NE for bout 8 years) just did this with a guy like Ryan Tannehill. Their HC Mike Vrabel also played for BB.  In taking that quote 1 step further - another thing Vrabel could do as a player was line-up as a TE in the red zone and catch TD passes. And I saw an Offensive Tackle for the Titans catch a TD pass in the playoffs.  BB could have easily quit on Tom Brady as a rookie that wore blue jeans to more football games than he dressed for in that 1st season (especially since he wasn't selected until late in the 6th round). 

When we frequented the playoffs in the 80s, we looked at what guys could do instead of what they couldn't do.  Once upon a time, a cluster of injuries to our LBer Corp had Clay Matthews playing all 4 different LBer positions in the 34 D over a 2-3 year span (outside of the original position he was drafted to play here).  1 year after Mack and Byner both rushed for over 1000 yards apiece for us - Lindy Infante got hired as OC and an undrafted RB out of LSU named Herman Fontenot contributed 47 receptions to our offense in 1986 (almost exclusively on 3rd downs).  Meanwhile, a little guy without blazing speed (WR Brian Brennan) also gave us 55 receptions almost exclusively on 3rd downs as well.   Those 2 guys were never talked about nearly as much as Mack, Byner, Slaughter and Langhorne; but their contributions were invaluable to our 12-4 season.  Even Bob Golic who didn't really pan out as an NFL LBer before was transitioned to NT in Cleveland. At a position that counts on superior leverage this made sense considering Golic was a high school Heavyweight State Champion in Wrestling in Ohio. He was the apex of our #1 ranked defense against the run in the AFC back in 1986 which earned him a Pro Bowl honor.  Not bad considering his previous team wasn't interested what he couldn't do any longer without the willingness to consider what he could do.

Hey. He doesn’t make me nervous. I was just talking about his past because someone else brought it up. And you are right I  never heard of him but I did look him up later. And I wasn’t correcting you I was simply saying that I personally had not heard or remembered him. When others talked about him so like I said I looked him up Period. And I only brought him up because someone else seem to be concerned about the fact that we let him go

On 1/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tour2ma said:

lol.... I do not remember that episode...

On 1/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I think it's an OLD episode... I think the one where Big Gay Al is removed as a Boy Scout leader? 

I had never really watched South Park aside from a handful of times and a couple specific episodes.  I was always more of a Family Guy type, but that show fell off hard around season 9-ish.         Right around Black Friday I saw Hulu having a year long membership special for like $7.99.  Picked it up, saw a bunch of old content on there from SP and started watching on occasion.    Remembered that bit because I was nearly in tears at one point from the lauhing.     For as crude as that show can be, some of the social commentary is pretty brilliant stuff. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I had never really watched South Park aside from a handful of times and a couple specific episodes.  I was always more of a Family Guy type, but that show fell off hard around season 9-ish.         Right around Black Friday I saw Hulu having a year long membership special for like $7.99.  Picked it up, saw a bunch of old content on there from SP and started watching on occasion.    Remembered that bit because I was nearly in tears at one point from the lauhing.     For as crude as that show can be, some of the social commentary is pretty brilliant stuff. 

A few years ago I started walking on the treadmill five days a week, and eventually ended up watching every episode of South Park from the beginning through its 21st season... 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A few years ago I started walking on the treadmill five days a week, and eventually ended up watching every episode of South Park from the beginning through its 21st season... 

That explains a lot about the Dutch Oven mind and what's going on in there.  :blink:

........ except for the treadmill part.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Walking on a treadmill sounds even more awful than running on it. I prefer freezing my ass running on the riverside.