THE BROWNS BOARD

Why do the kids love Bernie?

Westside Steve

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Also Woody yes we realize you didn't vote for Hillary Clinton. In hindsight you probably should have written in Bernie.

And sure the older generation might have worked 8 hours a day and going to college for 6 and slept for a few. And yes cars were cheaper rent was cheaper etc etc etc. On the other hand those college degrees were meant to afford someone a $10,000 a year job. No idea what you are making or what you will stand to make in the near future. I'm sure it's much more than most Americans. I know some people hate the corporations I refuse to see the outright gluttony of the higher education cartel. The sucker people into taking out lawns for all sorts of useless degrees oh, my own included but I didn't take a loan.

WSS

The cost of college has risen faster than the increase in wages. That's a fact. 

Getting a degree is also much more important now too.

And you think there aren't any college kids trying to work as much as they can AND go to school? Let's try not to romanticize the hard work of older generations and act like none of that is happening today...

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

The cost of college has risen faster than the increase in wages. That's a fact. 

Getting a degree is also much more important now too.

And you think there aren't any college kids trying to work as much as they can AND go to school? Let's try not to romanticize the hard work of older generations and act like none of that is happening today...

It's an investment.

WSS

8 hours ago, htownbrown said:

Wait some you're blaming the student loan issue on the students themselves? Well shit I think we're so far apart on this issue it probably isn't worth talking about it more

I agree that more kids need to be steered towards skilled trades, which are in need and can pay well. I'm also not going to defend those with a Gender Studies degree and crippling debt. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. A degree is definitely required in a majority of careers. Tuition is rising faster than wages. Students have to take out loans to get a degree to get in the job market. 

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Wait some you're blaming the student loan issue on the students themselves? Well shit I think we're so far apart on this issue it probably isn't worth talking about it more

I agree that more kids need to be steered towards skilled trades, which are in need and can pay well. I'm also not going to defend those with a Gender Studies degree and crippling debt. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. A degree is definitely required in a majority of careers. Tuition is rising faster than wages. Students have to take out loans to get a degree to get in the job market. 

If you chase a job market in "high demand" that doesn't pay you enough to pay off the educational loans required to chase said market , well some of us would say that's a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

Same old, same old. a subculture of young people who believe they are so superior as a "class":  - that they are entitled

to not pay consequences for their stupid actions.

Like going into permanent debt in student loans... casual sex/pregnancies not wanted....drug use and health problems, selling dope and getting arrested...being a woodpecker and never taking a bird bath and getting fired...

whatever it is - they think they shouldn't have to be responsible for their choices. Their failures are always somebody or something else's fault.

They want a giant government safety net to take care of them.

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Same old, same old. a subculture of young people who believe they are so superior as a "class":  - that they are entitled

to not pay consequences for their stupid actions.

Like going into permanent debt in student loans... casual sex/pregnancies not wanted....drug use and health problems, selling dope and getting arrested...being a woodpecker and never taking a bird bath and getting fired...

whatever it is - they think they shouldn't have to be responsible for their choices. Their failures are always somebody or something else's fault.

They want a giant government safety net to take care of them.

3ad.jpg

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Same old, same old. a subculture of young people

drug use and health problems, selling dope and getting arrested..

I saw the body of a 55 year old carted away last week after being found from an OD.

Some things just shouldn't be casually lumped in with others.

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I saw the body of a 55 year old carted away last week after being found from an OD.

Some things just shouldn't be casually lumped in with others.

sadly, but true - that also happens, of course. But not, I don't think, a subculture.

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

If you chase a job market in "high demand" that doesn't pay you enough to pay off the educational loans required to chase said market , well some of us would say that's a bad idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2017/02/22/how-unlimited-student-loans-drive-up-tuition/amp/

• 3 weeks later...

But in general it does make sense. When you turn 18 or 21 or 27 in modern days and have to leave Mom and Dad's house or you go to college which has been paid for by Mom and Dad or maybe student loan or government one of the worst realizations is that all of a sudden a place to stay food on the table cable TV utilities and transportation costs are now your responsibility. On top of that your allowance! It makes sense that you would vote for somebody who promises to take some or most but that responsibility off your shoulders. Because most of our life those things have just been a given.

WSS

ps to sidestep the inevitable "hey but what about..." Argument that probably doesn't apply to every single human being.