THE BROWNS BOARD

The GOAT is Leaving New England... And Going to Tampa

MLD Woody

11 hours ago, Nero said:

People are saying Tampa? It makes sense to me. Arians got the best out of Carson Palmer before retiring. 

Thoughts? 

Bucs and Browns fan here..

Not sure how I feel about this.. I just know I don't want Winston back. The Bucs have the tools for him but chemistry takes time and given the present circumstances valuable time will be lost in that respect. The Bucs damn well better draft the future and bring in a serviceable backup.. O line help wouldn't hurt either.

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Shame on the Colts.. all that cap money.. a Good OL & defense, a good WR draft and you decide Rivers for a 1 year deal was a good idea..🤔. Brady would have been a few hours from his son in NY.. from the looks of Bills picks 👀 He could do no worse than a FA QB... than hope to draft Jordan Love with the late 1st... OR* wait on Wash. QB Jacob Eason or former Nick Saban's QB Jalen Hurts..the tick..tock..clock has stopped  

lol... I just sim'd Eason to the Pats... Daddy's footsteps and all that.

But I fully expect to see Brissett back in Foxboro this summer.

This is the best ever, I did not think he'd ever leave NE. Now I have 3 things to cheer for:

1. Browns SB win

2. NE to do better than they did last year with Brady

3. For Brady to fail miserably and do worse than Winston

Brady has a ton more receiving talent in TB, but not his system he's been in his whole career, no Belichick and his cameras to tell him what to do, no holding o-line that never gets called, and no NE ref advantage. He's going to be terrible. I bet he gets "injured" halfway thru the season and retires. 

NE will roll to an 11 or 12 win season with Rutgers' backup QB and win a playoff game or two before being crushed by the Browns. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... I just sim'd Eason to the Pats... Daddy's footsteps and all that.

But I fully expect to see Brissett back in Foxboro this summer.

Oh...is he the son of Tony Eason?  

You know, the first  QB to ever take the Pats to the Super Bowl?

Now, how about this question:   (open to anyone).    How do you think any of the Tom Brady Pats teams would have done against the 1985 Bears?  

(I say that they all would have been steamrolled, just like the '85 Pats.  Maybe not quite as bad....but nearly)

3 minutes ago, crunchy said:

This is the best ever, I did not think he'd ever leave NE. Now I have 3 things to cheer for:

1. Browns SB win  OK..I like that Idea

2. NE to do better than they did last year with Brady.....not gonna happen

3. For Brady to fail miserably and do worse than Winston.....

The opposite will, in my opinion be more likely the case.  The Pats fail badly without Brady.

Brady has a ton more receiving talent in TB, but not his system he's been in his whole career, no Belichick and his cameras to tell him what to do, no holding o-line that never gets called, and no NE ref advantage. He's going to be terrible. I bet he gets "injured" halfway thru the season and retires. 

NE will roll to an 11 or 12 win season with Rutgers' backup QB and win a playoff game or two before being crushed by the Browns. 

You are dreaming.  BB will be the HC he was here without Brady.....possibly have a losing season.    Though, sure, its possible the Pats could be on par with the 1994 Browns.   He is a good coach, and a good defensive coach.  He could get the defense to play fairly well. But no Brady means they either do not make playoffs or get rolled in the first round. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Otto Graham.   Oh, you forgot about him...or don't understand the game. 

Didn't forget. Tom is better.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Generally doesn't go that way like Peyton, Farve, Montana, Namath, Unitas and many others.

They probably want to get a few more big paydays as a backup or young QB trainer somewhere.  Kind of a big parting gift from the NFL......why not.

Didn't Manning win the Super Bowl his last season? 

• Upvote 1

Bill's statement today...

Tom and I will always have a great relationship built on love, admiration, respect and appreciation. Tom's success as a player and his character as a person are exceptional. Nothing about the end of Tom's Patriots career changes how unfathomably spectacular it was. With his relentless competitiveness and longevity, he earned everyone's adoration and will be celebrated forever. It has been a privilege to coach Tom Brady for 20 years.

Examples of Tom's greatness are limitless, going back even before he was drafted. We witnessed how he prepared when he wasn't playing, how he performed when he got his opportunity, what he did to continuously improve, his leadership, his mindset, the example he set, and of course, the person he is. I am extremely grateful for what he did for our team and for me personally.

Sometimes in life, it takes some time to pass before truly appreciating something or someone but that has not been the case with Tom. He is a special person and the greatest quarterback of all-time

Above is taken from a pretty good NBC Sports Boston article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/why-did-tom-brady-walk-away-from-patriots-bill-belichick-after-20-years/ar-BB11jG7r?ocid=msn360

The big factor seems to have been:

Bill Belichick couldn't get his brain around paying a player born in 1977 as if he were born in 1997.

Brady couldn't get over the fact that - after all the years he'd spent showing his DOB didn't matter - his bosses just wouldn't believe it.

Then there's the writer's take on their relationship...

Watching this unfold over weeks, months and years, it became hard at times to comprehend the emotional distance Belichick almost always maintained from Brady.

We'd get press conference odes to Brandon Bolden and verbal bouquets thrown to Patrick Chung or Devin McCourty and on down the line. Brady? Shrugs. Generalities. "Tom always does a good job. Always prepared. Like a lot of our players."

That wasn't just at the podium. You could see during their NFL 100 appearance together on NFL Network that Brady still looked to Belichick for validation 20 years on.

That Brady recalled what Belichick told him in a limo the day after Super Bowl 36 - "Tom, just want to let you know you had a pretty good year" - illustrated what that relationship was like.

It is what it is and Brady managed OK. But for a person who appreciates positivity and optimism, one could see where Brady would over the years wonder if his coach could throw him a frickin' bone.

Their relationship was akin to those hug-free, father-son relationships from the 1950s where the kid is never sure if his dad truly loves him. Only later does the kid find out how much he really meant to the old man.

OK... that's a good chunk, but there's more good stuff in the full article...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

14th on throws under that.

Interesting 2018 data...

The throw category where he ranked 14th, however, was the "tight windows" one... where separation was arms-length or less.

He ranked 4th in the two-step or less completing 67.4%.

What really stood out were the "plus-ranking" marks he got for throwing away from coverage in each of the categories.

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

Didn't Manning win the Super Bowl his last season? 

That's true..... sometimes these old guys have that "what the hell". attitude and just go for it in their last shot.  Even Joe Cool Montana gave it a shot at KC after elbow surgery.  Plus in today's two hand touch rules around the quarterbacks and WRs they aren't totally beat up at 35 and can put up fantasy league numbers at 40.

Really now who wants to be the guy that knocks Brady cuckoo and gets him carried off the field?  Hey they all shake hands and tell jokes now after the game.

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Otto Graham.   Oh, you forgot about him...or don't understand the game. 

Lol. Makin sure the youngsters know about Otto!

Don't fret, no one has forgotten about your dear old Otto, but certainly he's not the GOAT. That goes to Brady.

#10 GOAT on one list and #5 on the other.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035041/article/top-25-quarterbacks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726739-the-top-10-quarterbacks-of-all-time

2 hours ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

I really hate the GOAT label. No one can really claim that. I prefer the Greatest of His Era title. The game has changed so much I don't think anyone can say a certain player is the GOAT. Jmho.

Except for Jim Brown.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

Didn't forget. Tom is better.

Except, of course, Otto achieved more in half the career length that Brady had. 

10 years,   10 Championship game appearances,  7 wins....Otto

20 years....9 Championship game appearances...6 wins...Brady

And don't give me BS that is was easier for OG because of the size of the league, because in a certain sense, it may have been harder.  And if it was so easy....then why did no one else  or maybe one guy  even come close to achieving half of  OGs.  (the one guy being Sid Luckman...4 titles in 7 years).

Its all recency bias.  

12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

oh boy....that's our Gipper!

Yep.....someone who is perfectly accurate with his historic perspectives.   The facts are the fact.  You may not like them, they may not fit into your personal biases, but they are the facts. 

Just because you are young Woody is no reason to be uninformed.  

2 hours ago, Gorka said:

Lol. Makin sure the youngsters know about Otto!

Don't fret, no one has forgotten about your dear old Otto, but certainly he's not the GOAT. That goes to Brady.

#10 GOAT on one list and #5 on the other.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035041/article/top-25-quarterbacks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726739-the-top-10-quarterbacks-of-all-time

Again, just one author's opinion. Recency bias. 

We could say that Patrick Mahomes is the GOAT because no one did what he did before in history....like come back 3 times after being behind by double digits in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yep.....someone who is perfectly accurate with his historic perspectives.   The facts are the fact.  You may not like them, they may not fit into your personal biases, but they are the facts. 

Just because you are young Woody is no reason to be uninformed.  

Just because you are old doesn't mean you need to be misinformed... and it doesn't give you final say on what is 

Are we talking about the greatest player to ever play the position or the greatest player relative to the other players in their era?

Given the size and speed of players back when Jim Brown played what do we think Adrian Peterson would have done? 

On an objectively, in a vacuum, skill based level players are getting better. Could any WR from the 60s catch the ball like Odell can? Or just compare the average WR. 

16 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Hope he packs a ton of sanitizer. With a bunch of old folks living there and idiotic spring breakers it's going to be bad there for awhile.

No, it's not. China has already reversed the course. Tampa will be an easier ride than China. 

49 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Are we talking about the greatest player to ever play the position or the greatest player relative to the other players in their era?

Given the size and speed of players back when Jim Brown played what do we think Adrian Peterson would have done? 

On an objectively, in a vacuum, skill based level players are getting better. Could any WR from the 60s catch the ball like Odell can? Or just compare the average WR. 

OLmen were 220 lbs in Brown's days.