THE BROWNS BOARD

Exemptions for Religious Institutions

MLD Woody

....why?

Generally going to be the more at risk part of our population (older). It'll just be a breeding ground for the virus. 

Can our resident religious folk agree that keeping religious institutions open is a bad idea?

Seeing videos of people from Evangelical churches saying they're protected from the virus because they're "covered in Jesus's blood"... These are the anti science people that are going to screw it up for everyone else

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

....why?

Generally going to be the more at risk part of our population (older). It'll just be a breeding ground for the virus. 

Can our resident religious folk agree that keeping religious institutions open is a bad idea?

Seeing videos of people from Evangelical churches saying they're protected from the virus because they're "covered in Jesus's blood"... These are the anti science people that are going to screw it up for everyone else

Woody, it's  in the Constitution,  freedom of  religion.  You probably  know as me being a Catholic, the Ohio  Bishops have canceled public  Masses until the end of  May. There's a  dozen or so streaming sites every day, if you're interested.  Our Church is open for a couple  hours weekdays,  with the same precautions grocery stores are taking.  Stay far away from  anyone else who may be there, use hand sanitizer and wipe down your seat with a sanitizing wipe before  and after use. 

The evangelicals are another story if they think  God is going to  protect them.  It's the  old joke about the  guy in a flood who keeps turning down boats and a helicopter Heaven is sending  him because God is going to  protect him instead. Well, he drowned. There's always going to be a few Branch Covidian (if you get my pun) sects out there....  

On a local level, the Solid Rock Church just down the road from me off of I-75 (yeah, the one who had the 50 foot Touchdown Jesus hit by lightning and melted- think God was trying to tell  them something? ) Is still having services,  despite the mayor and govenor begging them not to. If they all want to  get a case of Corona, legally no way to stop them. Report is, 1\2 of the congregation is having  the sense to stay home. 

In reply to  Canton  Dawg, the reports are Jewish and Muslims have also  shut down their  public  services. 

PS Woody. Christians in general,  and Catholics in particular  consider Lent a penetential season. You're  being penetentialized whether you want to be or not. :)

39 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m curious as to why you had no comment regarding the assembly of Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, or Jews?

Yeah I know. Woody didn’t mention druids, Scientologists, Lutherans, or worshippers of our lord and savior Spaghetti monster.

Everyone knows Christianity is the biggest show in town in the US in terms of religion. If we were on the Mumbai Browns forum, we would likely be talking about Hindus because that is the main religion.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Yeah I know. Woody didn’t mention druids, Scientologists, Lutherans, or worshippers of our lord and savior Spaghetti monster.

Everyone knows Christianity is the biggest show in town in the US in terms of religion. If we were on the Mumbai Browns forum, we would likely be talking about Hindus because that is the main religion.

and woodpecker would STILL be typical birdbrain, he'd be bitching and mocking Christians....

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m curious as to why you had no comment regarding the assembly of Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, or Jews?

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

33 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

and woodpecker would STILL be typical birdbrain, he'd be bitching and mocking Christians....

Please read my post again Canton (and Cal... though I'm not sure he's ever read the post of someone he disagrees with...)

I referred to them as "religious institutions" and "religious folks" when talking in general. That is accurate and all-encompassing. 

I then referred to a specific video I saw that specifically was showing evangelical Christians. So why did I refer to Christians? Because that was the video I saw. If I saw a video about Muslims or Jews doing the same thing I would have referred to that. So while I appreciate your attempt to jump down my throat about me apparently having some deep hatred for Christians, your post isn't accurate. 

Also, for the thousandth time when stuff like this comes up, Logic is right. Critique of religion in the US focuses on Christianity just maybe because it is the vast majority. Believe it or not.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Woody, it's  in the Constitution,  freedom of  religion.  You probably  know as me being a Catholic, the Ohio  Bishops have canceled public  Masses until the end of  May. There's a  dozen or so streaming sites every day, if you're interested.  Our Church is open for a couple  hours weekdays,  with the same precautions grocery stores are taking.  Stay far away from  anyone else who may be there, use hand sanitizer and wipe down your seat with a sanitizing wipe before  and after use. 

The evangelicals are another story if they think  God is going to  protect them.  It's the  old joke about the  guy in a flood who keeps turning down boats and a helicopter Heaven is sending  him because God is going to  protect him instead. Well, he drowned. There's always going to be a few Branch Covidian (if you get my pun) sects out there....  

On a local level, the Solid Rock Church just down the road from me off of I-75 (yeah, the one who had the 50 foot Touchdown Jesus hit by lightning and melted- think God was trying to tell  them something? ) Is still having services,  despite the mayor and govenor begging them not to. If they all want to  get a case of Corona, legally no way to stop them. Report is, 1\2 of the congregation is having  the sense to stay home. 

In reply to  Canton  Dawg, the reports are Jewish and Muslims have also  shut down their  public  services. 

PS Woody. Christians in general,  and Catholics in particular  consider Lent a penetential season. You're  being penetentialized whether you want to be or not. :)

Hoorta, the video I saw was of the Solid Rock church. I have no faith (ha, get it?) that places like this are following social distancing guidelines. I mean we have video proof that they aren't. These people legitimately believe they are protected from the virus because they believe in and pray to Jesus. That's not how medical science works and it puts everyone else at risk. Lockdowns and social distancing doesn't work if there is an anti science portion of the population completely ignoring it. No one is saying people can't practice their religion in their own homes or through online streaming. But there should be rules in place regarding groups. And there are. Religious institutions are just exempt for some reason. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

....why?

And here are some of the Muslim crackpots around the world.

'None of Us Have a Fear of Corona': The Faithful at an ...Mar 20, 2020 - A mosque in the Philippines run by Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamic missionary movement. ...

Mosques face up to pandemic as Friday prayers bring ...

www.reuters.com › article › us-health-coronavirus-mosques › mosque...
Mar 20, 2020 - Mosques face up to pandemic as Friday prayers bring coronavirus risk ... Many Muslims in the Indonesian capital Jakarta prayed at home, and Southeast ... an altered version of the call to prayer, exhorting the faithful to stay at home. ... Democratic group defies Trump, ramps up ad blasting coronavirus.
Mar 17, 2020 - ... to break into holy shrines and mosques, defying Iran's leaders who are trying ... they struggle to stem a soaring death rate caused by the new coronavirus. ... occur in June, causing as many as 3.5 million people to die, the study said. ... around the country and those with symptoms to stay home, but it has ...
2 days ago - Mosques were allowed to remain open in Pakistan on Friday, when Muslims gather ... even as the coronavirus pandemic spread and much of the country had shut down. ... Police officers restrict a rickshaw driver defying the nation-wide ... of congregations attending mosques and advice to stay at home from ...
www.bbc.co.uk › news › world-asia-india-52147260
3 days ago - Coronavirus: Islamophobia concerns after India mosque outbreak ... But many were forced to stay back as India suspended international and ...
Missing: defying ‎| Must include: defying
Mar 28, 2020 - The Muslims say the government order defies God's teachings. ... order for prayers to be said at home and for numbers in worship houses to be limited. ... "This is a time people have to go to the mosque and pray ceaselessly. ... force the faithful to obey the instructions and at the same time maintain peace.

Pakistan clerics to defy mosque closure amid coronavirus ...

en.qantara.de › content › pakistan-clerics-to-defy-mosque-closure-amid-...

Mar 27, 2020 - Pakistan clerics to defy mosque closure amid coronavirus lockdown. 27.03. ... It is not possible in any circumstances in an Islamic country," said ... lockdown from Monday, with troops and police forcing people to stay indoors.

Army patrols as Moroccans defy virus measures for prayers ...

www.arabnews.com › node › middle-east
Mar 22, 2020 - Army patrols as Moroccans defy virus measures for prayers ... defying orders to stay at home to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus. ... into effect in the Muslim-majority country on Friday evening, and security forces and ... People have been ordered to stay at home, and restrictions on public transport ...

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Look at the bright side Woody. If huge numbers of them get sick and die imagine the joy it will bring you!

🤓

WSS

this is clearly a troll because I've explained it oh so many times. I know you at least have the ability to read.

The problem is that if a bunch of them get sick it doesn't just stay in their own little cult. It will affect others as well. That's the point. 

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Yes. Crackpots and religion exist in tandem all over the world. 

But your dump of links also proves my point. None of those are in the US. I'm not saying it isn't happening in the US. It just highlights there are less of them and explains why referencing Christianity in that video would make more sense. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes. Crackpots and religion exist in tandem all over the world. 

Don't "yes" me, because that's not what I said.  I said Muslim crackpots all over the world.  Your thread topic specifically calls out Christianity. I responded by calling out Islam. Why do you have such a hard time calling out Islam and not Christianity? It's funny how you substitute the word "religion" for Islam.

Why didn't you just say..."Yes. Crackpots in Islam exit too." ??

But your dump of links also proves my point. None of those are in the US. I'm not saying it isn't happening in the US. It just highlights there are less of them and explains why referencing Christianity in that video would make more sense. 

My intent was only to make one point, not to argue with you because happen to be right about these foolish Christians. Yeah the link dump was a bit much, I should have known your disdain for Islam is just as intense as it is for Christianity.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Cool.  I'm all for people sacrificing themselves to help tip the universal scales towards balance.

If it happens to be Christians, Joo's, Muslims, Hindus, Ghozer worshipers... Then so be it.

Thinning out the herd...

23 minutes ago, Gorka said:

My intent was only to make one point, not to argue with you because happen to be right about these foolish Christians. Yeah the link dump was a bit much, I should have known your disdain for Islam is just as intense as it is for Christianity.

And I responded with "religious" crackpots to be all encompassing. Which is what my thread is. Which is why I replied to you with "religious" not Muslim. 

Again, my OP says "religion" and "religious". That is what the exemption is for and that's what I think is stupid.

I referenced a video I saw that was focusing on an Evangelical Christian Church. Which, again, given the number of Christians in this country vs the other religions makes sense statistically that it the religion being covered. 

Many of you on here so this "oh you're afraid to call out Islam!" "Why is it so hard for you to call out Islam?"

It isn't. Religion is full of dumb fallacies and fairy tales. Islam is full of dumb fallacies and fairy tales. Judaism is full of dumb fallacies and fairy tales. Christianity if full of dumb fallacies and fairy tales. 

I've called out Islam on here before many times and it's always ignored because it's easier for other posters to put me in a neat little box that way. 

I don't get why it's so hard to understand.

There is no gotcha. 

Any Muslim thinking they're safe from Corona because they pray to Mecca is just as stupid. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

this is clearly a troll because I've explained it oh so many times. I know you at least have the ability to read.

The problem is that if a bunch of them get sick it doesn't just stay in their own little cult. It will affect others as well. That's the point. 

Spare me the snow job we know it's just an excuse for you to call religious people names. We get it. Funny how I don't get to see repeated attack posts from you about your fellow Millennials down on the beach licking toilet seats and door knobs and giggling as they Yap bye bye Boomers into their little smartphones. Or numerous flights each and every day going back and forth to all over the world bringing in diseased people and exporting disease people thanks to the governor of New York State Etc. But really I get it you don't like Christians. Fair enough. Neither did Osama bin Laden. And Caesar. And Stalin. And Castro.

🌺🌺🌺

WSS

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Spare me the snow job we know it's just an excuse for you to call religious people names. We get it. Funny how I don't get to see repeated attack posts from you about your fellow Millennials down on the beach licking toilet seats and door knobs and giggling as they Yap bye bye Boomers into their little smartphones. Or numerous flights each and every day going back and forth to all over the world bringing in diseased people and exporting disease people thanks to the governor of New York State Etc. But really I get it you don't like Christians. Fair enough. Neither did Osama bin Laden. And Caesar. And Stalin. And Castro.

🌺🌺🌺

WSS

Ok boomer

(and you're confusing millennials and gen z. But that's alright)

Excuse? They're kinda doing it to themselves

I'd ask you what you think but we already all normal yours taking your normal apathetic "we can't do anything about it anyway" stance. 

Unless you have something to add on this topic. In which case, go ahead. 

15 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

At least he can attempt to be an equal opportunity religion basher...fair enough?

13 hours ago, Gorka said:

'None of Us Have a Fear of Corona': The Faithful at an ...Mar 20, 2020 - A mosque in the Philippines run by Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamic missionary movement. ...

Mosques face up to pandemic as Friday prayers bring ...

www.reuters.com › article › us-health-coronavirus-mosques › mosque...
Mar 20, 2020 - Mosques face up to pandemic as Friday prayers bring coronavirus risk ... Many Muslims in the Indonesian capital Jakarta prayed at home, and Southeast ... an altered version of the call to prayer, exhorting the faithful to stay at home. ... Democratic group defies Trump, ramps up ad blasting coronavirus.
Mar 17, 2020 - ... to break into holy shrines and mosques, defying Iran's leaders who are trying ... they struggle to stem a soaring death rate caused by the new coronavirus. ... occur in June, causing as many as 3.5 million people to die, the study said. ... around the country and those with symptoms to stay home, but it has ...
2 days ago - Mosques were allowed to remain open in Pakistan on Friday, when Muslims gather ... even as the coronavirus pandemic spread and much of the country had shut down. ... Police officers restrict a rickshaw driver defying the nation-wide ... of congregations attending mosques and advice to stay at home from ...
www.bbc.co.uk › news › world-asia-india-52147260
3 days ago - Coronavirus: Islamophobia concerns after India mosque outbreak ... But many were forced to stay back as India suspended international and ...
Missing: defying ‎| Must include: defying
Mar 28, 2020 - The Muslims say the government order defies God's teachings. ... order for prayers to be said at home and for numbers in worship houses to be limited. ... "This is a time people have to go to the mosque and pray ceaselessly. ... force the faithful to obey the instructions and at the same time maintain peace.

Pakistan clerics to defy mosque closure amid coronavirus ...

Mar 27, 2020 - Pakistan clerics to defy mosque closure amid coronavirus lockdown. 27.03. ... It is not possible in any circumstances in an Islamic country," said ... lockdown from Monday, with troops and police forcing people to stay indoors.

Army patrols as Moroccans defy virus measures for prayers ...

Mar 22, 2020 - Army patrols as Moroccans defy virus measures for prayers ... defying orders to stay at home to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus. ... into effect in the Muslim-majority country on Friday evening, and security forces and ... People have been ordered to stay at home, and restrictions on public transport ...

This confirms my suspicion that Woody didn’t dig very deep into the subject.

I think the biggest majority of churches have been responsible about this with just a few exceptions. We have church Sundays in our parking lot where everyone remains in their cars and the pastor uses a loud speaker as well as live streaming on facebook. 

I for one do not understand how any pastor who cares about his congregation would have normal church services right now risking the health of those whom he is supposed to be caring for. It is irresponsible. I know I would not want that on my conscience by having normal church services during a flu pandemic that others suffered with getting the flu. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Ok boomer

(and you're confusing millennials and gen z. But that's alright)

fair enough I don't see you attacking them either though.

Excuse? They're kinda doing it to themselves

it depends how seriously anyone takes the threat of gathering in a building. And exactly how outrageous the togetherness gets during the situation.

I'd ask you what you think but we already all normal yours taking your normal apathetic "we can't do anything about it anyway" stance. 

well there is some truth to that but remember how many times we've been over this. But in other pseudo crisis situations I mentioned that our spot would have to be drastic to make any difference at all and that seems to upset you. Just having politicians wring their hands on television does nothing for any problem. I've made it clear that I believe that the overall reaction to this one it will over the top. And while I am fine with people not behaving recklessly I think it's likely that this so-called cure will be worse than the disease. And like I've said before we will know in weeks rather than years.

Unless you have something to add on this topic. In which case, go ahead. 

to add? It kind of does go back to the what we can or can't do about it. I don't know when the last time you went to a major store was. I go a couple times a week. I take some precautions and I see idiots wearing full Hazmat outfits. I see idiots using face masks improperly and wearing rubber gloves that do absolutely nothing. It makes them feel good. Probably in a separate post I will make a list a few of the horrendous abuses of these so-called protections but unless churchgoers are way over the top hugging and kissing and rubbing each other's faces I don't see why a gathering  would be any more or less dangerous been many times that amount of people doing their grocery shopping. I am disgusted by the overall reaction and watching politicians of every stripe jockey for position Nottoway for 2020 but 2024. And shit journalists showing off for the cameras. Their questions, many of them, have nothing to do with the situation.

WSS

• Upvote 1