THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Hmm, I think you are right.  I must have missed that one.  Do not see any  NFL cats named  Garfield.  ;) So make that 8 names. 

The thing is,   the names  Taft and Garfield are so ubiquitous around Ohio,  we forget that really these are very rare names.

I could be wrong, just don't remember that name. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, Gunz41 said:

I could be wrong, just don't remember that name. 

No, I checked.  There was never a Garfield in the NFL.  I missed it.   (There have been a few McKinley's)

Like I said, Garfield is not a common name.   Only other Garfield I have heard of was actor John Garfield.   And I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else named Taft that was not associated with the William Howard Taft family..   Have any of you? 

Your job is to match the President with the Football player  by  who attended the same college.      I will give you an example:  Donald Trump attended  Penn,  HOFer  Bert Bell  attended Penn.  Match those two together.

Presidents (alphabetically)

Jimmy  Carter.    Bill Clinton.     Millard  Fillmore.     Gerald Ford.    Benjamin Harrison.     William Henry Harrison.  Herbert Hoover.     John F. Kennedy.      Richard Nixon.    Barack Obama.      James K. Polk.     Donald Trump.     Woodrow Wilson

NFL  People (alphabetically)

Chuck Bednarik.     Paul Brown.     Dan Dierdorf.     John Elway.   Henry Jordan.    Sonny Jurgenson.     Marv Levy.    Vince Lombardi.      Sid Luckman.     Khalil Mack.     Roger Staubach.     Paul Tagliabue.   Lawrence Taylor.     

Answers then:

Jimmy Carter and  Roger Staubach    Navy

Bill Clinton and Paul Tagliabue:    Georgetown

Millard Fillmore and Khalil Mack:   Univ. of Buffalo    (Fillmore was the founder of that school)

Gerald Ford and Dan Dierdorf:   Michigan

William Henry Harrison and  Chuck Bednarik:    Penn   (also, Trump and Bednarik)

Herbert Hoover and John Elway:   Stanford.     (JFK also attended Stanford for a bit)

John F. Kennedy and Marv Levy:   Harvard  (Obama also went to Harvard Law)

Richard Nixon and  Sonny Jurgenson:   Duke

Barack Obama and Sid Luckman:  Columbia

James K. Polk and Lawrence Taylor:    North Carolina

Donald Trump and Vince Lombardi:   Fordham

Woodrow Wilson and Henry Jordan:   Virginia.

A few favorites Ozzie, Ditka, plus KW I, Shannon Sharpe.  Kickers Lou the toe Groza, Blanda, Jan Stenerud and the one and only punter John Madden's favorite Ray Guy.

I did some punting and kicking way back my first kicking shoe was an old black square toe one.

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

A few favorites Ozzie, Ditka, plus KW I, Shannon Sharpe.  Kickers Lou the toe Groza, Blanda, Jan Stenerud and the one and only punter John Madden's favorite Ray Guy.

I did some punting and kicking way back my first kicking shoe was an old black square toe one.

All Names given correct.

Still a kicker and 5 TEs left. 

Here is a much easier, much more basic football question:

Name All of the Kickers, Punters, and Tight Ends that are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.   (14 total names)

Answers:

Ks:   Morten Andersen;   George Blanda;  Lou Groza; Jan Stenerud

P:  Ray Guy

TEs:  Dave Casper; Mike Ditka; Tony Gonzales; John Mackey; Ozzie Newsome;  Charlie Sanders; Shannon Sharpe; Jackie Smith;  Kellen Winslow Sr. 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:32 PM, The Gipper said:

No, I checked.  There was never a Garfield in the NFL.  I missed it.   (There have been a few McKinley's)

Like I said, Garfield is not a common name.   Only other Garfield I have heard of was actor John Garfield.   And I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else named Taft that was not associated with the William Howard Taft family..   Have any of you? 

Only Garfield I remember is the cat lol

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Only Garfield I remember is the cat lol

John Garfield.   Twice nominated for Oscars, once as best actor, once for best supporting actor.      Was a "victim" of the  House UnAmerican Activities Committee Idiocy.  He died in 1952 at age 39.

image.jpeg.3df7270e90a45c461e8cf22da98c0e02.jpeg

Filmography[edit]

Feature films[edit]

Year Title Role Notes
1938 Four Daughters Mickey Borden  
1939 They Made Me a Criminal Johnnie Bradfield  
Blackwell's Island Tim Haydon  
Juarez Porfirio Díaz  
Daughters Courageous Gabriel Lopez  
Dust Be My Destiny Joe Bell  
1940 Castle on the Hudson Tommy Gordon Alternate title: Years Without Days
Saturday's Children Rims Rosson  
Flowing Gold John Alexander / Johnny Blake  
East of the River Joseph Enrico "Joe" Lorenzo  
1941 The Sea Wolf George Leach  
Out of the Fog Harold Goff  
Dangerously They Live Dr. Michael "Mike" Lewis  
1942 Tortilla Flat Daniel "Danny" Alvarez  
1943 Air Force Sgt. Joe Winocki, Aerial Gunner  
The Fallen Sparrow John "Kit" McKittrick  
Thank Your Lucky Stars Himself (cameo)  
Destination Tokyo Wolf  
1944 Between Two Worlds Tom Prior  
Hollywood Canteen Himself (cameo)  
1945 Pride of the Marines Al Schmid  
1946 The Postman Always Rings Twice Frank Chambers  
Nobody Lives Forever Nick Blake  
Humoresque Paul Boray  
1947 Body and Soul Charley Davis  
Gentleman's Agreement Dave Goldman  
1948 Difficult Years Narrator (American version) Originally titled Anni difficili
Force of Evil Joe Morse  
1949 Jigsaw Loafer with Newspaper (cameo) Uncredited
We Were Strangers Tony Fenner  
1950 Under My Skin Dan Butler  
The Breaking Point Harry Morgan  
1951 He Ran All the Way Nick Robey (final film role)

Here is today's Trivia Question......actually a 3 part question....about certain Champions:

A.  Name each of the AFL  Pre-Super Bowl Champions   1960-1965.

B. Name each of the AAFC Champions  1946-1949

C. Name each of the NFL Champions....from 1920-1929!    Hint here:  Of the 10 Champions from that decade,  6 of them are now defunct. 

Edit:  Clarifying....4 teams are defunct, but the account for 6 titles. 

Well I'll just do the obvious one...

B. 1946 Cleveland, 1947 Cleveland, 1948 Cleveland, 1949 Cleveland

A. I don't know who won for what year, but I'm pretty sure Buffalo won in '64 or '65, and the Chargers won one or two during that span... 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well I'll just do the obvious one...

B. 1946 Cleveland, 1947 Cleveland, 1948 Cleveland, 1949 Cleveland

A. I don't know who won for what year, but I'm pretty sure Buffalo won in '64 or '65, and the Chargers won one or two during that span... 

These are all correct answers.  (Chargers were 1963)

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

These are all correct answers.  (Chargers were 1963)

So we have the Browns winning all four AAFC titles, and the San Diego Chargers winning the '63 AFL Championship, and the Buffalo Bills winning the '64 and '65 AFL Championships (while playing at the Buffalo War Memorial Stadium, known to many as the home of the New York Knights in the movie 'The Natural'.)

2 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

What's the reason?

A stretch I guess with presidents and football players and others but John Garfield was one of the classic WWII actors of his generation.

I've seen almost all of his movies on TCM.....the greatest era of moviemaking in Hollywood's golden era.

22 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Jon, Jacob, Jingle-Heimer Schmidt, his name is my name too. 

I think we're all deep in real sports withdrawal symptoms.    :blink:

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

What's the reason?

Reason for what?   Doing trivia?  Shits and giggles/entertainment.    Asking to match  NFL figures with Presidents?  When I try to come up with something every day, sometimes I have to get creative with the topics...and come up with some quirky, indiosyncratic questions .

Why post the filmography of John Garfield?  Just because he is the only other (real) person I think any of us have ever heard of with that last name.  Unless you can think of someone else.   And, like I said,  I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else named Taft...that was not associated with the political Taft family.   

The one name that I would have figured that no one else ever had would have been Roosevelt.  Clearly likely a rare name among the general populace, but since we have had 2 Presidents by that name, it does not seem terribly unusual...though it probably is.  There WAS one  NFL guy by that name though......Naman Roosevelt,  who  I do know  was African-American, and not of Dutch descent  (Roosevelt being Dutch....translation:  Rose Field).  His family  probably somehow adopted the name after being freed slaves as did so many who adopted the names  Washington, Jefferson, Jackson....after former Presidents. 

54 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Jon, Jacob, Jingle-Heimer Schmidt, his name is my name too. 

Last time I looked, none of those are or ever were football teams. 

But, here we go:    There is one more  AFL champion to be named,   plus all the NFL champions from the 1920s.    Further hint:   there are  8  teams to be name here.   Four are defunct....but 4 are still going.