THE BROWNS BOARD

Saftey vs. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Gorka

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If we don't start opening the economy up soon we may not have much of a country left. Already unemployment funds are running out. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/states-quickly-depleting-unemployment-funds-amid-record-shattering-surge-of-jobless-claims

Ohio- out of unemployment funds by the end of June- some states are in a lot worse shape. Plenty more state borrowing from the Feds to stay afloat. We've already printed $2-1\2 trillion dollars of "money" that we don't have- with plenty more on the horizon. Projections 10% of the hospitality industry will fold. Why to my mind we should get things opened up sooner rather than later. Even if we do relax restrictions- there's probably not going to be  a huge rush to get out and head to your favorite restaurant or bar. 

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I go with the Medical professionals on opening, not the orange fat man.

:) Trump left it up to the governors as far as I can tell. That way he can blame them if it blows up again.  

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The medical professionals haven't gotten this right either with terribly flawed models as well as our CDC expert Dr Fauci saying in late February the pandemic threat to our country was minuscule. 

Trump may have had a flawed response, but he was largely getting bad intel from the Doctors. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Trump left it up to the governors as far as I can tell. That way he can blame them if it blows up again.  

So you're gonna join the "damn Trump if he does, damn Trump if he don't" crowd?

What do you think he should or can do? I do not know to what extent the Presidents power over the states is when it comes to issues like this.

Trump may have had a flawed response, but he was largely getting bad intel from the Doctors. 

Tell that to Tex

I hate to say this (because I am not fond of the idea) but the science right now backs me up. Everyone needs to be wearing a mask when around other people. The biggest problem we face with the virus spreading are those who have the virus without symptoms who are out in public spreading the virus without knowing it. Wearing a mask is not to keep the wearer from getting the virus but to help keep those with the virus without symptoms from spreading it to others. A business for example could have temperature checks every day for employees yet the one with the virus without symptoms would pass the temp check. I see stores taking steps to protect their employees such as limiting customers in stores and requiring their employees to wear masks but the truth is unless they require all customers in the store to wear masks they leave open the door to the biggest source of those spreading the virus, the ones who carry the virus without symptoms. Wearing masks have no doubt been a big reason why countries like South Korea have done well to contain the virus. There are other reasons but wearing masks is likely a big one.

16 hours ago, Gorka said:

Hoorta said:  

Trump left it up to the governors as far as I can tell. That way he can blame them if it blows up again.  

1) So you're gonna join the "damn Trump if he does, damn Trump if he don't" crowd?

What do you think he should or can do? I do not know to what extent the Presidents power over the states is when it comes to issues like this.

2) Tell that to Tex

1) Hardly. But you have to know that's Trump's MO- deflect blame whenever possible. In this case, it's a smart move on his part. Just stick to the facts Donald- don't bluster that we have plenty of testing capacity- because we don't. Can or should do? Mostly out of his hands now. 

2) I've said- there were other voices in the room. Other than me yanking Cal's chain, Trump's initial response was what the general feeling of the country was, I really don't fault him on that count. FWIW, I thought Dewine was nuts when he shut down the restaurants and bars. I would question his constitutional authority to do so. The precedent has been set. All you need is a "public health emergency" and it sure looks like individual rights flew right out the window. 

7 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I hate to say this (because I am not fond of the idea) but the science right now backs me up. Everyone needs to be wearing a mask when around other people. The biggest problem we face with the virus spreading are those who have the virus without symptoms who are out in public spreading the virus without knowing it. Wearing a mask is not to keep the wearer from getting the virus but to help keep those with the virus without symptoms from spreading it to others. A business for example could have temperature checks every day for employees yet the one with the virus without symptoms would pass the temp check. I see stores taking steps to protect their employees such as limiting customers in stores and requiring their employees to wear masks but the truth is unless they require all customers in the store to wear masks they leave open the door to the biggest source of those spreading the virus, the ones who carry the virus without symptoms. Wearing masks have no doubt been a big reason why countries like South Korea have done well to contain the virus. There are other reasons but wearing masks is likely a big one.

Your suggestion can't hurt- but it's unlikely to be followed unless it's mandated. And even if it is- are you going to start arresting people if they don't wear them? Sort of like the mandated motorcycle helmet law that got overturned.  PS- tell me where I can buy a few masks- they're currently in short supply, right up there with hand sanitizer and antibacterial soaps. I suppose I could ask my wife to sneak a few out of the hospital- but that's against my honesty principles. 

From my medical POV OBF is I want to know what the virus load of an infected person is- if they're just breathing normally, and not coughing and sneezing all over the place. Ever notice (I have) when someone is smoking or vaping- you can smell that exhaled vapor from 20 feet away if the wind is in the right direction?  So the legit question is- any virus there? The early report is the virus is transmitted by droplets that only travel around six feet, not vapor borne.  

I wish I had extra ones, Hoorta - I'd send you a pack. Unfortunately, we didn't do that serious at prepping job. Mostly food and water, medication.

If everybody, I mean EVERYBODY would just get off their duff and wear masks all the time...

I wouldn't have to......tumblr_mslw9yhsYJ1ql56ddo1_500.gif