THE BROWNS BOARD

Njoku Back In

Dutch Oven

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I’m all in Cleveland. Time to work.

What happened?  Your agent couldn't get nothin' for ya?  Gonna have to get to work making yourself look good.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I could have told both those fools there would be no buyers. 

• Upvote 1

I get that the kid is still stupid young.. but to fire one agent, that can't find a deal while not announcing anything.. To than..Paying the cost of Rosenhaus, announcing it.. just to find out the same? those are the growing pains for kid's with dough.. Good Camping David..   

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I get that the kid is still stupid young.. but to fire one agent, that can't find a deal while not announcing anything.. To than..Paying the cost of Rosenhaus, announcing it.. just to find out the same? those are the growing pains for kid's with dough.. Good Camping David..   

All part of growing up for sure. I see it as a classy move. I mean he could either a) not get traded and turn the situation into a circus of distractions, or b) not get traded and be a team player. 

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

All part of growing up for sure. I see it as a classy move. I mean he could either a) not get traded and turn the situation into a circus of distractions, or b) not get traded and be a team player. 

Drew coached him into saying that. The writing was on the wall, they took a shot and no team bit. It's a good development for the Browns. Now Joke will give his version of his best effort. Add up a motivated Joke, Hooper, Landry, OBJ, Chubb. Could be serious. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Drew coached him into saying that. The writing was on the wall, they took a shot and no team bit. It's a good development for the Browns. Now Joke will give his version of his best effort. Add up a motivated Joke, Hooper, Landry, OBJ, Chubb. Could be serious. 

Could is the operative word here... But year in and year out we win the offseason then stink like high hell when it counts... Until they prove otherwise... This team is complete and utter garbage... They'll be lucky to win 6 games this year...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:55 AM, nickers said:

Could is the operative word here... But year in and year out we win the offseason then stink like high hell when it counts... Until they prove otherwise... This team is complete and utter garbage... They'll be lucky to win 6 games this year...

Last year, they had an actual clown as head coach, got all the hype from the media, and didn't have the maturity to know how to defend against the pitfalls of the hype. And "Good ole boy" Freddie didn't have a prayer in managing this thing. Let's see what having an actual grown man can do with the team. (To think last year at this time Browns fan was actually excited about Freddie being the HC.) 

Make Up Your Mind: Holy Smack Upside the Head Batman! Forgiveness ...

14 hours ago, Orion said:

All I can say is WOW!

Not that I didn't think that Njoku would drop passes, but I didn't think that Bryant would dazzle.  I thought quite the opposite.  

I just heard it AGAIN on Browns Daily. Apparently Hooper is saying Bryant has all the stuff you need to be a star and he's super active in team meetings and he absolutely wants it. This is a VERY TE friendly offense, which is why I was shocked Njoku wanted to leave at one point. With all of the play-action we'll be running, our TEs will have a ton of chances to get open...and I mean WIDE open. 

The TE position is generally regarded as the toughest rookie position to learn quickly (other than QB, duh) because you HAVE to be perfect on run blocking, pass routes, and ESPECIALLY pass blocking. Three phases of the game you can't mess up. You guys remember when Njoku would eff up the pass blocking and our QB would get demolished? Yeah...that could be your season. One screw up could cost you the QB and Njoku damn near got Baker killed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I just heard it AGAIN on Browns Daily. Apparently Hooper is saying Bryant has all the stuff you need to be a star and he's super active in team meetings and he absolutely wants it. This is a VERY TE friendly offense, which is why I was shocked Njoku wanted to leave at one point. With all of the play-action we'll be running, our TEs will have a ton of chances to get open...and I mean WIDE open. 

The TE position is generally regarded as the toughest rookie position to learn quickly (other than QB, duh) because you HAVE to be perfect on run blocking, pass routes, and ESPECIALLY pass blocking. Three phases of the game you can't mess up. You guys remember when Njoku would eff up the pass blocking and our QB would get demolished? Yeah...that could be your season. One screw up could cost you the QB and Njoku damn near got Baker killed. 

But Baker got Njoku killed in the Jets game.

I do remember the missed blocks and quite honestly he’s got the size and athleticism to catch, Run and block.  If it’s motivation issue maybe a new agent and upcoming free agency makes him put it all together.  Although  Some guys just aren’t football players unfortunately maybe he falls in that category. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I trust DPD and their assessments about as much as I trust DawgsByNature.

... basically with every grain of salt you can offer me.

You're not wrong, lol. However, I'm listening to Browns Daily and I'm hearing great things about Bryant. Apparently he looks extremely smooth and natural catching the rock. I'm telling you, these TEs are going to have some terrific opportunities and some of the receptions will be wide open. You remember watching San Francisco's offense? How almost every play looked the same and they ran 9 different attacks out of the same formation? Yeah, that's what WE'LL be doing. 

Two more things to think about:  Don't forget about TE Steven Carlson. He's the guy from Princeton who caught that terrific TD against the Steelers to seal the game. Apparently he's worked very hard and added 10 pounds of muscle. If Njoku doesn't come correct, he's gone. The second thing to remember is that we have a FB! Yes! FBs can really help TEs get open and create problems for a defense. 

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

But Baker got Njoku killed in the Jets game.

I do remember the missed blocks and quite honestly he’s got the size and athleticism to catch, Run and block.  If it’s motivation issue maybe a new agent and upcoming free agency makes him put it all together.  Although  Some guys just aren’t football players unfortunately maybe he falls in that category. 

When I was typing this I remembered that Baker got him injured and effectively cost him his season. It was a really crappy throw. 

I'm also hearing on Browns Daily that Baker still is having accuracy issues. Apparently implementing the footwork changes is really difficult and Baker is not dialed in. It's early, but accuracy isn't one of those things you get. It's something you HAVE. And he better figure it out or he'll be riding the bench. Baker misses high, and you CANNOT miss high in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I trust DPD and their assessments about as much as I trust DawgsByNature.

... basically with every grain of salt you can offer me.

I hear where you're coming from. But if one guy is dropping passes and one guy is catching them , in fact, 2 in a row for touchdowns, then for me that is not speculative analysis but objective facts. 

Having said that, to proclaim Bryant the 2nd TE is premature. but to say he is pushing Njoku hard from what can be seen by observers, is worth considering, imo.

I loved the Bryant pick.  Watch the college tape - - he’s a 3rd and 6 move the chain type TE.  You saw some broken plays and him coming back to QB and making catches.  What do we see with Baker all the time? scramble broken play and WRs stopping routes (aside from Landry).  He should thrive In 3rd and short and medium.  Let’s see what defenses put in front of him backer or a safety.

Hes got some Gary Barnidge In him.

I liked Adam Trautman from Dayton just a tad more because he appeared to be more of a vertical threat (Kelce type)...but Bryant actually might be a better fit and complement to our current group.

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

You remember watching San Francisco's offense? How almost every play looked the same and they ran 9 different attacks out of the same formation? Yeah, that's what WE'LL be doing. 

That's window dressing and every team does (or at least attempts) do that.  

7 hours ago, Barry said:

I hear where you're coming from. But if one guy is dropping passes and one guy is catching them , in fact, 2 in a row for touchdowns, then for me that is not speculative analysis but objective facts. 

Having said that, to proclaim Bryant the 2nd TE is premature. but to say he is pushing Njoku hard from what can be seen by observers, is worth considering, imo.

No issue with the first above, more of agreement in the 2nd line.    The problem is, using Njoku as a baseline for comparison.  Especially in something like a limited contact camp.    I have zero doubt Njoku is going to be pushed.   In all honesty, if any athlete comparing to him that had a little more time working on routes coming out of school made this team, then David was always going to be the odd man out.   In which case, that's just what HB was brought in to be.        Now do I think the rookie will step in and fill some type of offensive void?  Not really.  Even rookies getting the #1 spot as a TE don't tend to make that overwhelming splash difference.   Closest I can remember might be Shockey?  Gronk?  Cooley aaaaaaand that's about it?     Harrison will be a nice compliment, but I'm withholding any pedestal given until well into the season.  Even then, rookie TE's always hit a pretty high wall that first season.      

He looks good in camp? Great.   I'm still not factoring him as any significant part of this offense sans (god forbid) Hooper going down or some type of offensive juggernaut emerging from 21 personnel.  

From what I have seen of Hooper👀 To what I have read of Hooper? Does not match, what am seeing..Hooper will be the best blocking TE in the Browns TE room..by Far..(that's the good news)

we could see the use of the FB, as a bandage to the other TE side.. In saying that, Darren Fells in hard knocks tried to get Cajuste to get his blocking power by combining , his leg power, to work with his weight/height getting off* at the snap with max load. Targeting just under his opponents chest plate & drive & steer.(not easy with the fastest moving targets).Harrison Bryant is at Cajuste level of blocking at this point.Bryant is 1" taller & 6 lbs. heavier than Cajuste at Camp time. In ending, I guess, I don't get excited about Bryant nor Hooper tearing up Camp days.. I mean, guess who's covering them at Camp? The Browns..worst in TE coverage most has ever seen.. Another worry of H.Bryant? is he physical enough to get off physical coverage players...stay tuned   

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

That's window dressing and every team does (or at least attempts) do that.  

True to a point but not to the extent San Francisco and Minnesota do it. 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Now do I think the rookie will step in and fill some type of offensive void?  Not really.  Even rookies getting the #1 spot as a TE don't tend to make that overwhelming splash difference

Again, you're mostly right. As previously mentioned, TE is one of the toughest positions for rookies to quickly learn. But this feels different. The offense is super TE friendly, Hooper will get a ton of attention, and Bryant works extremely hard. You're probably right, Bryant won't make much of an impact, but you never know. He kind of sounds like a freaking natural, ya know? For those who don't know, he played OL forever before learning TE late in his career. That's crazy. Usually TEs go to offensive line, but not the other way around. 

• 1 month later...

His rap sheet is: bad blocking, drops, huge vertical jump that I've almost never seen being useful, but also some good TDs and catches...

I would like to keep him, but he hasn't lived up to his 1st round pick status. 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:55 AM, nickers said:

yipper......right now we are not even close to competing in our division...not even close..with all these so called super stars.....right now it appears the start of another downward spiral watching obj on the sidelines bitching it up again....lose to the bagels this weekend and look out bro.......it will be the falling apart.....they best win this game....oh and jarvis...you who bitched about how bad tannehill was....that he was the issue in miami.....you and your stupid wife complaing to the miami fo.....all i can say is that i hope tanny is saying.....how you like me now.....hahahahahaaaaaa....

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know you are still working on your American lingo, but this was unintentionally hilarious! 🤣

That would be "rap" sheet, Nero. 

LOOOL. Thanks 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:26 AM, Nero said:

His rap sheet is: bad blocking

THIS...is a problem in Stefanski's offense.  The TE's HAVE TO block in his wide zone running attack.  Njoku is God-awful at blocking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

THIS...is a problem in Stefanski's offense.  The TE's HAVE TO block in his wide zone running attack.  Njoku is God-awful at blocking.

He's not the best but I'm pretty sure he is getting better this year. I don't have stats to support this, so I could definitely be wrong, but Njoku seems to be doing a better job. He's certainly not Hooper, but maybe he can make up for it by getting vertical (assuming Baker can actually throw to the middle). 

We're going to need him today. 

• Upvote 1