THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

TypicalBrowns50

Do people seem to forget that we used to lose against all the middle of the road teams and even weak teams? But now that Baker plays well enough to beat those teams that is not enough? Not long ago we didn't win a single game and only 1 before that, if we are going to win we have t take baby steps, Let's ride this out and see where the road with Baker leads, we are a ton better than before with Kessler, and all the others,GO BROWNS

• Upvote 1

Why is it nobody ever mentions Peyton Manning playing in a crummy division? We are in the AFC NORTH, the toughest Division and the "experts" never mention how Peyton Manning played against shit teams? Nobody likes to give Cleveland any kind of credit at all and even if we win they have to find flaws in our victory. Yes we lost bad to the 2 games we lost against the 2 best teams. As far as Stephen A crack smoker goes and Collin Cowturd  are called experts and never even played a sport. Cowturd is still crying Baker went on his show and didn't kiss his ass. GO BROWNS 

9 hours ago, medicineman said:

Why is it nobody ever mentions Peyton Manning playing in a crummy division? We are in the AFC NORTH, the toughest Division and the "experts" never mention how Peyton Manning played against shit teams? Nobody likes to give Cleveland any kind of credit at all and even if we win they have to find flaws in our victory. Yes we lost bad to the 2 games we lost against the 2 best teams. As far as Stephen A crack smoker goes and Collin Cowturd  are called experts and never even played a sport. Cowturd is still crying Baker went on his show and didn't kiss his ass. GO BROWNS 

When I looked at our LB Corps heading into the regular season, the 1st thing I thought was we better score a ratload of points this year.    While I LIKED our draft, I couldn't help thinking what happens if all the newbies being added/traded for at Safety get hurt (ie: Delpit, Harrison (2 games missed) and Karl Joseph (1-2 games)?  Not only that, but Greedy Williams hasn't answered the bell at Corner yet so a team coming off only 6 wins has had to hit the depth chart in both the LB Corps and Secondary.  Meaning?  We better score even more points.

This offense has scored more points  in 5 of the 7 games played vrs teams that didn't have elite defenses (the Colts had one but they were banged up & Safety Ronnie Harrison Jr scored for us on a pick 6 right before he got a concussion). The 2 teams that did have elite defenses are in the AFC North (to your point) and the Browns got rathoused. 

The pleasant surprise of it all?  The defense was leading the NFL in turnovers produced for much of this time.  Not only that, but the offense is set-up to where injuries to guys like Chubb, Hooper, Teller and OBJ didn't stop the offense from doing what it had to to win.

As far as expectations go, I don't think this team is ready to compete for a conference championship yet.  I predicted 9-7, which would be far more fun than we've had in a long time here. This team reminds me of 85 Browns where both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece; and helped us make the playoffs with an 8-8 record in Kosar's rookie season.  The next year we added OC Lindy Infante; and the team made it's first of 3 AFC Championship appearances in the late 80s.  Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see this team make it to the Conference Championship this year; but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed by unrealistic expectations.  

• Upvote 1

EXACTLY I in no way expected us to make it to the SB or even the AFC championship but we are doing way better than we have in years yet peple are saying clearly Baker is not the answer smh, How may other qb have we had thet even started this many games? Because he could not beat even weak teams let alone than the top teams. Have to take Baby steps before we can even walk and Fuck the Steelers and Ratbirds too, I hope they take turns knocking each other out of the game today, speaking of I am shocked the NFL did not flex their game? 

• Thanks 1

I'm not even going to comment about Baker today. I thought he did pretty well and did enough to win. His team let him down, which sucks, but it definitely happens. Gotta have a defense...and we certainly don't. 

The worst part is that we have to wait 2 weeks. They can't just get back to work. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The worst part is that we have to wait 2 weeks. They can't just get back to work. 

No, the best part of today is that the Browns get 2 weeks off to get healthy, make adjustments and get their minds right. 

They need all three, and this bye week could not have came at a better time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, the best part of today is that the Browns get 2 weeks off to get healthy, make adjustments and get their minds right. 

They need all three, and this bye week could not have came at a better time. 

In a way you're definitely right. We need to get healthy and we're definitely not, but we also lost a pretty bad one and it's going to marinate for a bit. I hate it for this team that they have to go into the bye week with this bad taste in their mouth, but perhaps it will galvanize them. 

Am I the only one that thinks Baker has a ways to go in becoming a legit pocket passer.  His footwork is all over the place.  When you look at Burrows and Baker.  Burrows looks like a young Brady in the pocket.  Baker looks like a nervous Chihuahua at times.  He threw a pass on Sunday with his footwork all out of wack and his shoulder completely open, and missed the throw.  

5 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

Am I the only one that thinks Baker has a ways to go in becoming a legit pocket passer.  His footwork is all over the place.  When you look at Burrows and Baker.  Burrows looks like a young Brady in the pocket.  Baker looks like a nervous Chihuahua at times.  He threw a pass on Sunday with his footwork all out of wack and his shoulder completely open, and missed the throw.  

No, you aren't.

Many of us see flaws in his game like his ability to pass out of the pocket consistently well. 

On 11/2/2020 at 7:27 PM, BrownsKidd said:

He has happy feet. And some of the awful passes he makes is because he doesn't set himself properly in a balanced passing stance. Brady is quite opposite, looks like a robot. I don't mind Baker not being a robot, but... He should exercise his footwork. 

Exorcise???

8 hours ago, Nero said:

He has happy feet. And some of the awful passes he makes is because he doesn't set himself properly in a balanced passing stance. Brady is quite opposite...

Did you see this in the LV game? I ask because our OL pitched the proverbial shutout... 0 sacks... 0 knockdowns... 0 pressures... 0 hurries. PFF gave us the highest PassPro grade they have given since 2013. https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/03/browns-offensive-line-pass-protection-vs-raiders-no-pressure/

We all know a relatively calm 2018 Mayfield earned his happy-feet behind our 2019 sieve. While he's shown them in 2020, it'd take a while to get 2019 out of his head. Personally I see improvement in the first 3 seconds of his dropbacks. After that? Well... it's time to move anyway.

As for Brady... TB12 does often bounce on his toes in the pocket, which I understand is different from happyfeet... buy he also has one other thing that can't be taught to Baker... height. At 6'4-3/8" (Combine measured) he can see things over the line that Baker will always have to search for between helmets.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, BrownsKidd said:

No. You are not, and if you like Burrows, then you should watch the kid that plays for the Chargers... 

14 minutes ago, D Bone said:

you should watch the kid that plays for the Chargers... 

Read an article last week on why Herbert is having unexpected early success with LAC.

Bottom line was that at Oregon he was in a system that was ill-suited to his skill set.

That said.... still early yet.

Remember it was just two years ago a fresh, young QB set the rookie TD record.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Read an article last week on why Herbert is having unexpected early success with LAC.

Bottom line was that at Oregon he was in a system that was ill-suited to his skill set.

That said.... still early yet.

Remember it was just two years ago a fresh, young QB set the rookie TD record.

Not sure who wrote what, but for me it's simple. He passes my eye test - big time. If I had to place a bet on any of the young QBs to still be in the league in 10 years (ours included), Justin gets all my chips.

We'll revisit this post in 3,650 days... 😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

R. Wilson

Mahomes

Rogers

Carr

Tannehill

D. Watson

Brees

Herbert

Brady

J. Allen

Big Ben

Dak

Kyle Allen

Bridgewater

N. Mullens

M. Ryan

Rivers

Fitzpatrick

Stafford

Goff 

Minshew

L. Jackson

K. Murray

Jimmy G

Cousins

Burrow

Baker

Tua

Kaskins

Foles

Driskel

Tyrod Taylor

Dan Jones

Cam Newton

Wentz

That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

Right now Baker is just a guy that is good enough to get the job done, he is not going to carve up a defense like a Manning or Brady. He is what he is, unless he steps up his game big time, he is not going to be the future of this franchise. I mean I like the guy he is competitive but competitiveness will only get you so far in this league.

• Upvote 1

Guess it depends on how you want to look at it. This team just made the statement they are more worried about the future than they are this year buy doing nothing to fix the defense, so if you break down the top ten, personally there are only 3 QB’s on that list that I would swap for Baker right now...

Mahomes, Watson and Wilson

obviously if you turn back the clock or change team strategy to win now, you’d add in 

Brady, Rodgers and Brees 

But those guys could be a year or major injury away from being retired. 

Carr and Tannehill are a pass, and Allen has some moments but has the accuracy of a knuckle ball in the wind....

Herbert would be a push based on his 5 game career so far. 

If you expand out on the next 10,  based on the same criteria I’d probably swap Baker for Ryan and probably Dak but I’d have to think pretty hard. Stafford.... meh I don’t know....I’d probably pass.

then the rest of the way out you have guys like Lamar and Murray who kind of have to have a offense tailored to their play style, so I guess it depends with those kind of guys, I have friends that love that kind of play and others that can’t stand it, (I’d hate to have a running type QB and have to hold your breath when he takes hits game after game and their shelf life is questionable)

After that I’d say Burrow is the last candidate, who some are super high on, but throws 45+ times a game and has 11 TD’s all season.... 6 against Cleveland’s “Defense”... Baker haters say hell ya give me Burrow, I haven’t seen enough yet, so I’d say push. 

you wanna win right now? Then turn that list on its ear and go for a high powered Vet. 

If I were Berry, I’d extend the contract, build my team for two more years, see what he ends up looking like make a call in his 5th year to trade or resign. 

Going off that list of swaps and maybes, that puts Baker at about 12-15 QB in the league. I’d say average to above average is a good estimate.Considering the Browns usual “shit sandwich to soggy shit sandwich” QB play.... 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Baker's team is  5-3 and would be in the playoffs, much of which is based on an offense that he is the leader of. 

That is all I need to know. 

Yea, that would be all you need to know, in your current capacity. "Just be good enough to hover slightly over .500" and you will be content with that. I wonder if rings are a possibility with standards set there? The Pats and the Steelers didn't win 6 rings with such a mentality. 

But I will say this: 5-3 sure as hell beats the crap out of 0-8 (on the way to 0-16 or 1-15). Don't get it twisted. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Baker's team is  5-3 and would be in the playoffs, much of which is based on an offense that he is the leader of. 

That is all I need to know. 

That's because our schedule has been softer than mammie's titties so far. The only two elite teams we've played so far - the Ravens and the Steelers - have blown us out of the fucking water. 

I can give Baker a pass for being saddled with clueless hue and freddie his first few years, and the 'rona this year, but the dude definitely needs to step it up against the good teams in this league if he wants to keep his job.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Guess it depends on how you want to look at it. This team just made the statement they are more worried about the future than they are this year buy doing nothing to fix the defense, so if you break down the top ten, personally there are only 3 QB’s on that list that I would swap for Baker right now...

Mahomes, Watson and Wilson

obviously if you turn back the clock or change team strategy to win now, you’d add in 

Brady, Rodgers and Brees 

But those guys could be a year or major injury away from being retired. 

Carr and Tannehill are a pass, and Allen has some moments but has the accuracy of a knuckle ball in the wind....

Herbert would be a push based on his 5 game career so far. 

If you expand out on the next 10,  based on the same criteria I’d probably swap Baker for Ryan and probably Dak but I’d have to think pretty hard. Stafford.... meh I don’t know....I’d probably pass.

then the rest of the way out you have guys like Lamar and Murray how kind of have to have a offense tailored to their play style, so I guess it depends with those kind of guys, I have friends that love that kind of play and others that can’t stand it, (I’d hate to have a running type QB and have to hold your breath when he takes hits game after game and their shelf life is questionable)

After that I’d say Burrow is the last candidate, who some are super high on, but throws 45+ times a game and has 11 TD’s all season.... 6 against Cleveland’s “Defense”... Baker haters say hell ya give me Burrow, I haven’t seen enough yet, so I’d say push. 

you wanna win right now? Then turn that list on its ear and go for a high powered Vet. 

If I were Berry, I’d extend the contract, build my team for two more years, see what he ends up looking like make a call in his 5th year to trade or resign. 

Going off that list of swaps and maybes, that puts Baker at about 12-15 QB in the league. I’d say average to above average is a good estimate.Considering the Browns usual “shit sandwichto soggy shit sandwich” QB play.... 

I don't think you're inherently wrong in your thinking, just that I'd have more than 3 QBs ahead of Baker, even considering long term impact (i.e. QBs too old to help 5 years from now). For one, if you are considering things in that "lense," you may have to consider the QBs still in college as well, such as Lawrence. It's just that I still can't help to think that they will need better QB play to have a real shot at rings. And I don't know if Baker is ever going to achieve "franchise QB" status, which you usually need. And when you take a player first overall in the draft, you likely would want that player to be best at his position by 3 years in, or at least top 3. I think we can all agree with that. 

39 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Yea, that would be all you need to know, in your current capacity. "Just be good enough to hover slightly over .500" and you will be content with that. I wonder if rings are a possibility with standards set there? The Pats and the Steelers didn't win 6 rings with such a mentality. 

But I will say this: 5-3 sure as hell beats the crap out of 0-8 (on the way to 0-16 or 1-15). Don't get it twisted. 

With every tap of the keys you show yourself to be a complete mental midget when it comes to football . 

1. My "capacity" is that of a fan of the Browns.  Same capacity as anyone on this board. 

2.  The Browns have not been to the playoffs since 2002.

3.  A 5-3 record puts this team into the playoffs, at least in the playoff position.     Getting into the playoffs is the first step to continued playoff competitiveness.

4.  You want your TEAM in playoff position, do you not?  If there is a reason that this team is not in better playoff position, it is because of some of the horrendous defense  this team plays, and not really the QB play. 

5. It does not matter one fucking bit if your QB is great, average or otherwise.....as long as the team has success. 

6. No one can tell if a QB is going to be "great"  right off the bat necessarily.  A guy considered perhaps the best QB in the game did not even play his first 3 years...Aaron Rodgers. 

The Cleveland Browns are in playoff position and are being led there by Baker Mayfield.  That is all I, you , or anyone needs to know. 

21 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

That's because our schedule has been softer than mammie's titties so far. The only two elite teams we've played so far - the Ravens and the Steelers - have blown us out of the fucking water. 

I can give Baker a pass for being saddled with clueless hue and freddie his first few years, and the 'rona this year, but the dude definitely needs to step it up against the good teams in this league if he wants to keep his job.

So what?  Other teams in this division have had the same equally soft schedule. 

This team needs to learn how to win, yes.   This team needs to improve the talent on its roster, yes. Getting into the playoffs is every team's goal...and who gives a cabbage fart on how they got there.

What he needs to do to keep his job?  It is NOT necessarily beat what you think are elite teams:   Keep this team in playoff contention, despite having one of the worst defenses in the league...that is is job.