THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Jets Gameday Thread

Zombo

sad. The Browns offense was out of sync for most of the entire game, our secondary needs upgraded.

With all starting wr's out - of course the jets would shut down the run and figure the passing game would never get a win.

Need a backup left tackle. I had a bad feeling on that last 4th and 1 - they were all completely bunched up, and

it ended up a disaster. I thought they should have faked a qb sneak, then shifted and handed the ball off. But with all the players they had missing on short notice, a fancy call could also have been disastrous. It was a very tough hand.

I blame sleazy goodhell for not delaying the game about three days for the Browns to have a chance to change what they needed to change.

dirtbag goodhell said it was because Denver only had one position changed, well, the Browns had lb, all the starting wr's, a LT sick.....

already down to their "third string" ROG. Still, the Browns tried to kick ass the entire game, every single minute.

Oh, yeah, and we need a new kicker for next year.

Get some players back, and watch the Browns win big next week -

every single game they've lost...they have come back to win the next one. We're still good.

I mean, did ANY of us expect a near playoff/playoff season ?

6 hours ago, Vambo said:

Not sure PM hoorta he's a mod

I don't do anything regarding the gameday chat, not sure I'm even registered to get in if I wanted to....  

6 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

O Line just isn't getting it done for Chubb.. The few runs we've run, the holes just aren't there... Without that fear, Jets are just going to keep putting the extra person in coverage.

Exactly the Jets were selling out to stop the run, and if you looked at the season stats, the Jets run D was actually fairly decent. 

4 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

FUCKING DOINK AGAIN.. WTF is wrong with him

Par-Kay reverting to form... :(   

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe this year....but trust me....the Steelers have constantly been the beneficiaries of so many favors by the league it isn't funny.  But OK, they DID bend over backwards for the Ratfuckers with their situation. 

By the way, it was not the league that fucked the Niners.....it was Santa Clara county that said...NO games in their stadium.  The league just had to make good with that situation by putting them in Arizona. 

But it seems in the Browns situation that it didn't even make sense:  the guy that tested positive was a LB, not a WR.....none of the WRs tested positive, so why did they have to sit?  And as far as I know.....unlike the Broncos  QB situation....none of the Browns WRs broke protocols.    Someone correct me if I am wrong there. 

I read that the WRs were in recovery pool with Goodsen and there was tape of at least one not wearing a mask properly.

I think the game should have been postponed, but I think I saw that the difference with Baltimore was that there was an active outbreak that continued to produce positives. And Denver was kind of a "you got what you deserved" from the league.

While saying that, I believe that it would have been handled differently with other teams.

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

The league just fucked you guys over? The niners got fucked, the steelers. The Steelers lost their bye week, played three games in 12 days too. The Broncos also got fucked when they were forced to start a wr at qb. The league fucks over everyone. 

No, the Steelers didn't "lose" their bye week. Their scheduled bye week was "lost", as in moved. 

Now, maybe you need to learn to do a bit of research or look at a calendar. Many teams play 3 games in 12 days every year.

Sunday, Sunday, Thursday is in fact 12 days.

53-18.  Not exactly "leaning" on your strengths.    And it isn't so much about the volume of running calls at it would be their design.   

Again, our unwillingness to run our outside zone (which appeared to actually gain net yards) is confusing to me.

My point and probably poorly made is you have to be balanced.  There are times when the scoreboard dictates action but a good football team isn’t one dimensional.  The Jets had zero fear of Baker beating them as the Steelers won’t next week.

We didn't really try to run. 

My terribly made point was you need to have balance.  Baker needed to move the ball throwing it to open up the run game.  The Jets were daring him to do it and he didn’t. Tack on a bad penalty, fumbles and missed targets and you have a game your franchise QB can’t have when you are down WRs.  I see a lot of excuses for Baker but that isn’t what you do when you’ve got “the guy” behind center, oh excuse me, the guy in the shotgun 😁

Some observations.... Baker had an unbelievably shitty game. No way to sugar coat it. Stefanski preaches ball security- and Mayfield not only fumbled THREE times, (leading to Jets points) his accuracy sucked. Overthrows, underthrows. Plenty of blame to go around when your targets drop balls that hit them in the hands. Jets knew Hooper was going to factor in huge, and Baker tried to force the ball into him- when he was triple covered. Lucky there weren't interceptions. The book on Baker is pressure him- and he'll make mistakes. Mission accomplished. Blame the sieve O-line in the first half  if you must. 

Our great running game? - take away two starting o-line, and all of a sudden, it's not so great.  

Defensive backfield? Ward can't do it all by himself. A couple breakdowns that had Browns defenders in the wrong area code on guys that were wide open. BTW, I'm not sure who was even playing linebacker for the Browns at least 50% of the time. :( 

4 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Why run a qb sneak? 

Because it had already worked twice?

Can't help but think there was a blown assignment. No way you run behind your LG with the LT releasing to the 2nd level without accounting for the RDE. He's too close to the play and is going to get to the QB way too fast.

If Lamm seals off the DE, then Baker gets the 1st before the LB he released to engage can ever help hold the pile... and Baker is never receives the fumble inducing hit.

Edit: Looking at the first frame of the vid I borrowed from another thread... with 3 TE right, this play is designed to go over RG when Teller is playing. In this case the LT's release makes sense. So it's possible Baker chose to go left behind Bito rather than the rookie. So now I have to lay this at the feet of Stef. Why Stef? Because he should have flipped the formation and put the trip TEs to Lamm's side.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Basically we are in with a browns win. Or we are in with a colts loss. Or we are in with titans losing to packers this week and losing next week.

colts are not going to llose to jax....i ruled that game out of the combo picture...jax is really bad....titans play the texans last game...i think texans could put up a fight on that one but they won't win...deshawn cannot do it himself.....their d stinks....so it comes down to cle vs. pitt.......tomlin vs steph.....tomlin wins that one....ben vs mayfield...big edge to ben....looks like he is back....it don't look good.....fucking covid defeats the browns is what it will amount to...

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Some observations.... Baker had an unbelievably shitty game. No way to sugar coat it. Stefanski preaches ball security- and Mayfield not only fumbled THREE times, (leading to Jets points) his accuracy sucked. Overthrows, underthrows. Plenty of blame to go around when your targets drop balls that hit them in the hands. Jets knew Hooper was going to factor in huge, and Baker tried to force the ball into him- when he was triple covered. Lucky there weren't interceptions. The book on Baker is pressure him- and he'll make mistakes. Mission accomplished. Blame the sieve O-line in the first half  if you must. 

Our great running game? - take away two starting o-line, and all of a sudden, it's not so great.  

Defensive backfield? Ward can't do it all by himself. A couple breakdowns that had Browns defenders in the wrong area code on guys that were wide open. BTW, I'm not sure who was even playing linebacker for the Browns at least 50% of the time. :( 

our d sucks....we don't seem to get any turnovers...we got some the first half of the season, but that has changed...if you cannot intercept sam darnold, just think what big ben is going to do next week....i can't blame baker....he should not have had to throw 53 times....you ain't going to win many games doing that....our run game got stuffed and we fell behind...and when that happens, you end up throwing the ball alot...as far as the fumbles by baker...yeah, i think that is where we lost the game...its the turnovers that kill ya....and baker coughed up the game....poor browns....what looked like a shoe in is now probably going to be a just a dream.....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Browns149 said:

The Browns are in with a win or Indy loss next week. 
Stoolers might rest players. Not sure if the 2 or 3 seed really matters with only 1 bye 

indy ain't losing next week.....they play jax.....jax probably should play all their second and third string players to make it even worse.....so they can sow up that all important first round pick....for trevor....

2 minutes ago, browns52 said:

our d sucks....we don't seem to get any turnovers...we got some the first half of the season, but that has changed...if you cannot intercept sam darnold, just think what big ben is going to do next week....i can't blame baker....he should not have had to throw 53 times....you ain't going to win many games doing that....our run game got stuffed and we fell behind...and when that happens, you end up throwing the ball alot...as far as the fumbles by baker...yeah, i think that is where we lost the game...its the turnovers that kill ya....and baker coughed up the game....poor browns....what looked like a shoe in is now probably going to be a just a dream.....

Regarding turnovers- we had one that Darnold's arm was moving 1\2 inch forward before the ball came out... :( Game changer that wasn't. 

My feeling? It's not over until the Fat Lady sings....  Get most of the guys off of covid protocol, tell Teller to get his ass out there for the biggest Browns game in forever- and we have a chance. Rothlisbooger was having a pretty terrible game, I saw a bunch of it when we were channel flipping during commercials. My bet is there will be a replay on NFLN if you want to do some scouting. 

1 minute ago, browns52 said:

indy ain't losing next week.....they play jax.....jax probably should play all their second and third string players to make it even worse.....so they can sow up that all important first round pick....for trevor....

The Jags already have the #1 sewed up- thanks to the Jets win... different question entirely if they will have the bags packed to get out of town after the game.... 

7 minutes ago, browns52 said:

Well.....here is something:

With the loss today,   the Jacksonville Jaguars have clinched  the Overall #1 draft position....and the probably rights to Trevor Lawrence.    Who will likely be happy to go there.  He is from Cartersville Ga.....an Atlanta suburb,  played in South Carolina at Clemson....so Jacksonville is right in his neighborhood so to speak.  They worked hard to "earn" that spot.

So, what does that mean?  That they have nothing to lose by winning next week.   So, maybe they will want to get a head start on next year and really put in an effort to win. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

sad. The Browns offense was out of sync for most of the entire game, our secondary needs upgraded.

With all starting wr's out - of course the jets would shut down the run and figure the passing game would never get a win.

Need a backup left tackle. I had a bad feeling on that last 4th and 1 - they were all completely bunched up, and

it ended up a disaster. I thought they should have faked a qb sneak, then shifted and handed the ball off. But with all the players they had missing on short notice, a fancy call could also have been disastrous. It was a very tough hand.

I blame sleazy goodhell for not delaying the game about three days for the Browns to have a chance to change what they needed to change.

dirtbag goodhell said it was because Denver only had one position changed, well, the Browns had lb, all the starting wr's, a LT sick.....

already down to their "third string" ROG. Still, the Browns tried to kick ass the entire game, every single minute.

Oh, yeah, and we need a new kicker for next year.

Get some players back, and watch the Browns win big next week -

every single game they've lost...they have come back to win the next one. We're still good.

I mean, did ANY of us expect a near playoff/playoff season ?

My preseason prediction was 10-6 but wasn't too concerned about the playoffs.

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

Good post. All correct 

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They should.....they tried hard to tank and succeeded.  I remember the time the Cavs tanked in order to draft one Mr. LeBron James.

Tanking CAN often work. 

You can bet the Trevor Lawrence camp isn't celebrating

9 minutes ago, Axe said:

You can bet the Trevor Lawrence camp isn't celebrating

No, I think he is OK with it.  As I said elsewhere, that is basically in his backyard growing up in Georgia, going to Clemson.  Clearly anyone wants to go #1.  He would rather go #1 to a bad team than drop down to the mid rounds....and go to a better team. 

Tia thinks that  Fields will drop way down in the rankings...and in the draft.  Maybe, maybe not.   But, if he did, he would probably go to a bit of a better situation.   If he went to Carolina, or Denver or New England....or maybe even Dallas if the Cowboys give up on Dak....he could be better in a better situation...or maybe not. 

8 hours ago, browns52 said:

Jax already has the number one pick. Even if they win next week

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding turnovers- we had one that Darnold's arm was moving 1\2 inch forward before the ball came out... :( Game changer that wasn't. 

My feeling? It's not over until the Fat Lady sings....  Get most of the guys off of covid protocol, tell Teller to get his ass out there for the biggest Browns game in forever- and we have a chance. Rothlisbooger was having a pretty terrible game, I saw a bunch of it when we were channel flipping during commercials. My bet is there will be a replay on NFLN if you want to do some scouting. 

The Jags already have the #1 sewed up- thanks to the Jets win... different question entirely if they will have the bags packed to get out of town after the game.... 

yeah, i am trying to get that ain't over til the fat lady sings attitude....but it is the steelers....in our favor is they can't run the ball well,  but we cannot put consistant pressure on the qb either...that is in there favor....and its big ben...he kills the browns....their d is pretty damn good even without bush and dupree....their favor.....if we can run the ball against them, it might be a close game...if baker has to throw 53 times, our season is over.....i like what you said about teller....tell him to get his ass out there...i would add fat ass.....