THE BROWNS BOARD

What/Who are you currently listening to?

tiamat63

Just felt it necessary given the conversation in the Superbowl thread.  Maybe a place where someone finds something they like randomly with what we share.

You can present your music with or without any other commentary. I tend to choose the latter.

Just a great jam, IMHO.  I love funk, and if you pay attention to the lyrics - a commentary on hip hop (at the time) with what record executives wanted the band to produce, but what they felt ended up doing - rock n roll shelters all.

@D Bone.... Like I said, if you ever work up the nerve to listen.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Just felt it necessary given the conversation in the Superbowl thread.  Maybe a place where someone finds something they like randomly with what we share.

You can present your music with or without any other commentary. I tend to choose the latter.

Just a great jam, IMHO.  I love funk, and if you pay attention to the lyrics - a commentary on hip hop (at the time) with what record executives wanted the band to produce, but what they felt ended up doing - rock n roll shelters all.

@D Bone.... Like I said, if you ever work up the nerve to listen.

I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

46TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2003)
Nominations
BEST RAP ALBUM
Phrenology

But I found it.....  

Questlove’s Summer of Soul Documentary Wins Sundance 2021 Grand Jury Prize

The Roots bandleader’s directorial debut is about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival 

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:
46TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2003)
Nominations
BEST RAP ALBUM
Phrenology

But I found it.....  

Questlove’s Summer of Soul Documentary Wins Sundance 2021 Grand Jury Prize

The Roots bandleader’s directorial debut is about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival 

Yeah, the man is probably the biggest musical influence in the group. They did a piece on NPR's tiny desk that was good.   Can't leave out Black Thought though, very underrated lyricist.  Actually had no idea who he was until I heard him on a Linkin Park album once upon a time.

I listen to the rock station here. Being in West Virginia, there isn’t a lot of good rock stations. Mostly country, which I don’t like that much 

5 hours ago, Axe said:

I just received the dvd this if from last night. I collect show dvds. Well over 200 at this point

Accept, with the Czech national Symphony 🤘😆🤘

I saw these guys I believe it was at harpos in detriot  is was fucking great

• Upvote 1

I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

How BLM.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

How BLM.

The novel was published in 2013 which is way before BLM. You could have said the same about Uncle Tom's Cabin or Huckleberry Finn. It just happens to be an excellent novel that make you laugh not unlike Huck Finn does. If I thought it was political I would have posted it over there instead of here where we post things that are entertaining, which it certainly is.

Speaking of great vocalists, this woman is incredible. Another from the greatest open air music festival on earth. Wacken...

I've seen Nightwish and I don't know how tall Floor Jansan is but I'm 6'5 and we seemed to be eye to eye.

Another highlighting her abilities.

• Upvote 2