THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🏈🏈🟫🟫🟫⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧Official Gameday Thread: Texans at Browns🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜⬜🟫🟫🟫🏈🏈🏈

Zombo

Something I'm noticing watching the all-22 of both games...Β  the pressure rates are good. QB's are feeling it and being forced to move.Β  Β But you've faced Mahomes and Tyrod so far. The former probably the best in the game, the latter still has good wheels.Β  Β So unless that pressure gets home, they have the athletic ability to create on their own.Β 

Fields may be a bit of the same this weekend.Β  But he isn't the passer in terms of processing defenses that Mahomes or even Tyrod is.Β  So those pressures could very well result in sacks against a young QB who still needs time to speed up that internal clock.Β  May catch him being slow on progression then try to bail late.Β 

This Dline against Ben Β *should* feast.Β  Might be too early to have any definitive conclusions.Β 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Something I'm noticing watching the all-22 of both games...Β  the pressure rates are good. QB's are feeling it and being forced to move.Β  Β But you've faced Mahomes and Tyrod so far. The former probably the best in the game, the latter still has good wheels.Β  Β So unless that pressure gets home, they have the athletic ability to create on their own.Β 

Fields may be a bit of the same this weekend.Β  But he isn't the passer in terms of processing defenses that Mahomes or even Tyrod is.Β  So those pressures could very well result in sacks against a young QB who still needs time to speed up that internal clock.Β  May catch him being slow on progression then try to bail late.Β 

This Dline against Ben Β *should* feast.Β  Might be too early to have any definitive conclusions.Β 

I just read the Browns defensive line has ranked 6th is pass win rate. That aligns well with what you're seeing.

31 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I just read the Browns defensive line has ranked 6th is pass win rate. That aligns well with what you're seeing.

At first I was in camp @Dutch OvenΒ with the pass rush being an issue.Β  But going back and taking a further look, it truly hasn't been.Β  Myles should have drawn a holding call on a 3rd and 12 that KC converted on a PM scramble which ended up being points later that drive.Β 

Should have had an INT if not for a holding call against Tyreek hill.Β  Toss in the FF by Delpit and Bakers untimely hit while throwing, Browns are feet away from being 2-0 and +2 turnover margin.Β 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I thought We did really well in regard to speeding the clock up with Mahomes forcing the quick throw I read somewhere he had to get rid of the ball faster than he typically does- some advanced stat that I’m too lazy to dig up.

I remember a few years ago OSU had Chase Young and opposing teams were just rifling the ball out within two seconds and our Fans were up in arms that our past rush isn’t doing the job and where areΒ all the sacks…theyΒ were absolutely doing the job. Β The Dline is taking away half of the offenses playbook.Β 
Β 

I feel in many respects we are doing the same. Β 
Β 

What Is a little surprising we are making teams very one dimensional especially taking away the run and in the few circumstances that are obvious pass situations we aren’t capitalizing enough (or so it seems) by making the big pressure that gets the sack or turnover.

It is early. Β The sample size is two games.

Last week PFF said our Dline was Meh. Β LBs were fair/good and our secondary was awful.Β 

Β 

Justin Fields I feel the game plan should be a controlled blitz. Kind of how we should deal with Lamar. Contain the edges squeeze the pocket. Β Which begs the question do we kick Myles inside and get pressure early in Justin’s face and have an edge setter like Jackson?Β Take away his first read andΒ Cover his check down WR/back. Β The Bears are going to be vanilla city. Β Run and dink and dunk to get to short and manageable…where I’m sure they will try to get Justin in a run/pass optionΒ of the pocket option that he can convert. Β He will not be a 3rd and 10 QB this week. Β 

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sigh...

Allow me to say this once again. The Browns do not have a "nasty front 4" regarding the pass rush. They have Myles Garrett and three other guys who do not rush the passer well. Browns fans seem to be the only people on Planet Earth that still think Jadeveon Clowney can generate a pass rush. Takk McKinley was considered a bust in Atlanta. The Browns have done many things very well the last two seasons regarding improving the team, roster, etc.

Getting people who can rush the passer beyond Garrett is not one of them, and in fact, last season's DLine was superior in this category.Β 

Clowney has been getting consistent pressure since week 1 and McDowell is our highest rated defender. We also stifle the run. Our defensive line is good, trust me. They had a terrific week 1 and a poor week 2. I'm very tough on Myles Garrett because he should be producing at a high rate and so far he hasn't. We need more impact plays.Β 

One thing I know is that won't last forever. Myles WILL get his, just a matter of time. Now, I don't love the idea of playing a mobile QB, and I really don't love playing rookies because you don't have film. Our DL has done a terrible job of maintaining rushing lanes and I look for this to get better immediately. As previously stated, Joe Woods blitzes at an extremely low rate. That will change A LITTLE against Fields, as we look to increase pressure yet limit our exposure to the big play.Β 

I honestly don't know how Joe Woods is going to play this. He did a TERRIBLE job of disguising coverage and forcing Texans' QBs off their first read. That MUST change. One thing rookie QBs definitely can do is lock onto the first read and deliver a solid throw. Recognizing coverages, getting to 2nd and 3rd reads, and not turning it over are the things they struggle with. If we don't force Fields off the 1st reads throughout the game, we will lose.Β 

I've got news for everyone. The Bears play DEFENSE. They've done it for years, and they've made the playoffs 2 of last 4 years. This is a team used to winning, although it doesn't feel like it. We will NOT be able to run the ball early against them. Bears totally shut down Joe Mixon, who at the time was near the top in rushing yardage. If you think we're going to come out smashing the ball down their throat, you're going to be upset. If we get the ground game going out will come late in the second half. The Bears are going to absolutely sell out against Chubb and Hunt and force Baker to beat them.Β 

The good news for us is that we've seen Baker do just that. Remember the Tennessee game last year? Everyone was so ready for the Chubb vs Henry battle royale, but what did we see instead? We saw Baker Mayfield ripping the tits off the ball and throwing to everyone under the sun. In short, our pass game will set up our run game this Sunday. You'll see plenty of empty sets, throws to TEs, screens, and underneath throws to RBs. We'll have the occasional play-action rollout, but not often because we can't risk a blindside smash by Khalil Mack or Quinn.

I know what you're thinking, "Jiggins, what about our deep shots down the field? Won't we get at least a LITTLE aggressive?!" I'm glad you asked. Yes, we'll get aggressive, but carefully so. What's that mean? Like many teams, we look down the field after crossing the 50 yard line, usually close to their 40. Once we get there, keep your eyes open for our vaunted 13 personnel which utilizes 3 TEs and a single WR (again, think back to the DPJ bomb against the Titans). We'll use Schwartz or possibly OBJ as the lone WR, and we WILL take 2-3 very deep shots Sunday.Β 

Bottom line, we don't turn it over and force Fields off his first read and we win. I don't expect a blowout or pretty game, but I do think we win. Our Brownies were somewhat flat last week, I don't expect a repeat of that. Buckle up, Browns fans. It's going to be a close one.Β