THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🏈🏈🟫🟫🟫⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧Official Gameday Thread: Texans at Browns🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜⬜🟫🟫🟫🏈🏈🏈

Zombo

2 hours ago, Orion said:

We do now have a receiver coming off of the suspended list however.

And a good one too. Β Davion Davis.

What about Demetric Felton…that TD catchΒ and run was a play similar to what we would call for Jarvis…and not to discredit my favorite Browns WR in any way but I don’t know if Jarvis would have taken that one to house. Β Β 
Β 

Felton is going to have a long career in this league as WR/RB third down type back. Β He’s a little green finding and slashing through holes and I think our wide zone run scheme requires better vision from a back. Β But open space, spin move and jets onΒ against back 7 type defenders.

Hello!! We have a keeperΒ 

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

And a good one too. Β Davion Davis.

Apparently not good enough.Β Davion has been waived as part of the practice squad churn.Β Kinda surprised myself.Β 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-te-miller-forristall-g-tristen-hoge-to-practice-squad?fbclid=IwAR2dry2I1_d4e2RJDsC6WTdtLFZugIfaEWH6iDnxb5VAVEnSYUBh0G36f-k

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Yeah the first one to cooks definitely was as ward wasn't even lined up over top of him.Β  Cooks was lined up a good 2-3Β yards inside of where ward lined up (7 yards back).

I believe Ward was targeted 7 times and gave up 6 catches for 99 yards. Β Of course take it with a grain of salt butΒ He didn’t fair well fromΒ what I saw in PFF. Β 

Any of you guys have troubles watching our browns games send me a message and i can send you a you tube link to watch, sometimes we get booted in the middle of the game thanks to you tube restrictions but we put them right back up again send me a private message with your number and i will text you back with the you tube stream, (they are not up until 30 minutes before KO)Β 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Apparently not good enough.Β Davion has been waived

Yeah, that was a bit surprising when I heard that at work.Β  When you think that OBJ & Landry are probably out.Β  He might have made a decent sub for Landry.Β Β 

To Baker's int and Schwartz's slowing and not trying to make the great catch...it was 3rd & 13...a tie game...Baker can tend to miss high.Β  But also there was a bit of a crowd nearby, including a LB'er so Schwartz may have made a bit of a 'career decision' there.Β  Either way, I heard that Stef talked to him about it and it won't happen again.Β  Perhaps Stef reminded him that he doesn't HAVE a career yet.Β  :)

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing our Chiefs fan has taken theΒ week offΒ πŸ§”Β 

Β 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, SdBacker80 said:

they need some time together and our coordinator needs to push the right buttons.

this cushion crap needs to endΒ 

liked Grant Delpit's game.. butΒ rookies(JOK included) can still play likeΒ rookies in coverage..

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/obr-film-cleveland-browns-grant-delpit-171387789/#171387789_1

Β 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Apparently not good enough.Β Davion has been waived as part of the practice squad churn.Β Kinda surprised myself.Β 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-te-miller-forristall-g-tristen-hoge-to-practice-squad?fbclid=IwAR2dry2I1_d4e2RJDsC6WTdtLFZugIfaEWH6iDnxb5VAVEnSYUBh0G36f-k

Why waive our best preseason WR when Landry and OBJ are hurt? What am I missing?Β 

25 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Why waive our best preseason WR when Landry and OBJ are hurt? What am I missing?Β 

In no particular order, but just guessing:

-OBJ is ready to come back this Sunday

-Felton showed a lot of good stuff Sunday, making him more valuable

-Worry about offensive line depth with the injuries, and planning the roster accordingly.

Assuming some of this to be true, where does Davis get a roster spot ahead of Higgins, DPJ, OBJ, Schwartz, Felton, and potentially keeping an extra OL on the active roster?

I feel bad for the guy, but it adds up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't really think you need OBJ back this quickly.Β  Not until week 4 at earliest.Β 

This team can win ugly against the Bears and we can pace ourselves with Jed getting limited snaps. No reason to rush him.

It's funny, I kept thinking all year that we're getting OBJ back, but it never entered my mind that he wouldn't be totally healthy. I'm not sure WHAT he'll even look like, let alone how he'll react to getting hit. I'm almost positive OBJ will have a soft tissue injury after coming back. Many people do after being out for so long.Β 

That being said, I actually DO think we need OBJ. Running game can't cover your ass forever. All it takes is to get 3 holding penalties in one half and you're doomed. We need someone to get medium-deep and someone who can take a normal play and make it a TD, like Felton did.Β 

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's funny, I kept thinking all year that we're getting OBJ back, but it never entered my mind that he wouldn't be totally healthy. I'm not sure WHAT he'll even look like, let alone how he'll react to getting hit. I'm almost positive OBJ will have a soft tissue injury after coming back. Many people do after being out for so long.Β 

That being said, I actually DO think we need OBJ. Running game can't cover your ass forever. All it takes is to get 3 holding penalties in one half and you're doomed. We need someone to get medium-deep and someone who can take a normal play and make it a TD, like Felton did.Β 

Don't forget the Bears D lit up the Bengals for three int's- including a pick six.Β  It's decent. Will Dalton play Sunday or not? Time will tell.Β Β 

With Landry out for at least three weeks, the return of OBJ becomes a lot more important. If he's not ready, he's not ready, but bumping your #3 wr to #1? No likee.Β  :(Β Β 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

He's just a guy off the street. Not better than Higgins or Peoples which means he won't play. We've got OBJ and Scwartz to take the top off of defenses. Three good pass-catching tight ends, great pass-catching runing backs, and Felton can pickup a lot of things Landry was doing.

Z

--Don't forget, we have Bradley and Natson on the practice squad, and we can activate to PS guys each week.

• Like 1

I watched some Bears both weeks. We can certainly win ugly. Β 

This will be one of the worst offenses we play all year. Β Their Play calling is terrible. Andy D could play and be limited and he’s reserved to a check down king…Fields is on a limited play book. Β Their Oline is a disaster. Β This is a get right game and I would be genuinely concerned if we don’t look good on defense.Β 

If they are without Eddie Goldman and Mario Edwards I’d prefer we lineup and run 45 times keep Mack away from Baker and win 21-7 and we can control the clock with those two out.Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Β 

This will be one of the worst offenses we play all year. Β Their Play calling is terrible. Andy D could play and be limited and he’s reserved to a check down king…Fields is on a limited play book. Β Their Oline is a disaster. Β This is a get right game and I would be genuinely concerned if we don’t look good on defense.Β 

If they are without Eddie Goldman and Mario Edwards I’d prefer we lineup and run 45 times keep Mack away from Baker and win 21-7 and we can control the clock with those two out.Β 

Β 

bingo

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

He's just a guy off the street. Not better than Higgins or Peoples

All I know is the guy caught the ball.Β  Including leaping, twisting catches.Β  We've had high draft picks that dropped passes for a living.

Anywho, I heard today that we signed him to our PS.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

All I know is the guy caught the ball.Β  Including leaping, twisting catches.Β  We've had high draft picks that dropped passes for a living.

Anywho, I heard today that we signed him to our PS.

You're right, he did, maybe we'll see him soon!

Z

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

He's just a guy off the street. Not better than Higgins or Peoples which means he won't play. We've got OBJ and Scwartz to take the top off of defenses. Three good pass-catching tight ends, great pass-catching runing backs, and Felton can pickup a lot of things Landry was doing.

Z

--Don't forget, we have Bradley and Natson on the practice squad, and we can activate to PS guys each week.

I heard today that we waived him so we could get him back at the practice squad. And it worked. Apparently we really like him.Β 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, tiamat63 said:

Re: the Baker pick.Β 

There are a few variations of that hitch - po, hitch - dig/square that attacks the cover 2 the Texans were playing.Β 

The #1 (intended, primary) usually has some leeway on his route in this concept because, like anything else, not all cover 2 is the same, dependent on the Safety leverage and depth.Β Β 

That sideline shot to Bryant earlier was an example of exploiting the dead spots of cover 2 and Baker held the safety reasonably well.Β  I don't have the all 22 but IIRC that was also Njoku lined up to that field side running part of the divide concept ( 9/go outside, 8/post inside) to stress that safety.

Depending on how both Baker & Schwartz read coverage, you can break that off sharp like a deep square and take a couple steps back to the ball.Β  You can flatten or round the route as necessary and carry it in a dig.Β  OR with time and offensive structure, a receiver can break it to the post if he has that type of option on the top of his route.Β 

From the initial look, Schwartz went more with the sharper square in while Baker was (possibly) expecting him to move slighter farther upfield and inside. More of a dig.Β  Β  I still feel the ball placement would have been a bit high for a 5'11 receiver.Β  But when dealing with rookies that are raw in their footworkΒ and come from below average passing offenses, I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the QB and go back to see where the miscommunication may lie.

He made no attempt to break up the pass, that is why I fault the receiver. I may have not been a perfect throw, but Schwartz has to become the defender. I'll give him a pass since he is a rookie but it shouldn't happen again.

51 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I heard today that we waived him so we could get him back at the practice squad. And it worked. Apparently we really like him.Β 

But not better than the guy at the bottom of the 53.

I was hoping that was their plan, but I was afraid someone would sign him...even though it's early in the season.Β  I had visions of an afc north team signing him.Β  Glad we have him back.Β  And if he ever gets on the field, he had better not drop a pass.

I didn't see the game as I was at the MTB World Cup races, but it seems the defense - and specifically pass rush, is still an issue and somewhere Dutch is preparing his I told You So award acceptance speech.Β 

I bet the Bears put up 24 myself.Β 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

I didn't see the game as I was at the MTB World Cup races, but it seems the defense - and specifically pass rush, is still an issue and somewhere Dutch is preparing his I told You So award acceptance speech.Β 

Today...today...today... I consider myself...myself...myself... 😁

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Neo said:

He made no attempt to break up the pass, that is why I fault the receiver. I may have not been a perfect throw, but Schwartz has to become the defender. I'll give him a pass since he is a rookie but it shouldn't happen again.

While the all-22 isn't out yet.Β  I'm willing to wager that very few 5'11 receivers would have gotten their hand on a pass high and away.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

While the all-22 isn't out yet.Β  I'm willing to wager that very few 5'11 receivers would have gotten their hand on a pass high and away.

When you see it, please tell us what you saw, because while he didn't sell out on it, on first look it appeared Mayfield sailed that ball, just like he did the pass previous. (And I believe those were the only two incompletions he had all day, right?)

21 hours ago, D Bone said:

We had no pass rush and it's a problem. Joe Woods blitzes almost least amount in the league, and that SHOULD be fine because we have a pretty nasty front 4, right? Well, maybe. The frustrating aspect of not blitzing is that you're supposed to have more people in coverage, making it difficult to complete passes. Except that wasn't the case.

People were open all over the place and we had some truly confusing moments. We gave up a TD pass to David Mills on 3rd down on a simple rub-route combo that EVERY team runs, yet our corners totally miscommunicated and gave up an EASY TD to cut the lead to just 3. THAT'S how you lose. Heck, we go 3 and out and punt and Texans can tie or take lead.

I'm SICK AND TIRED of the offense having to bail out the damn defense. Excluding the Wildcard game, when is the last time our defense closed the door on anyone? I'm serious, think about it. We generally win by having a small lead and then salting the game away with running and short passes. Can you remember a strip-sack or pick-6 to wrap up a game? I can't. Maybe Redskins last year? How many games did our defense let the opposition come back?Β 

It's week 2, we're not going to have it all figured out, I get it. But we need to see more, and I expect to Sunday. Mark my words though, this Bears game will be a SHIT SHOW. Fields is going to look like Joe Montana with wheels and will score way more points than he should. It happens every time we play a young qb. They play out of their ass against us and we fight for our lives.Β 

Last point...we're not scoring over 30 and DO NOT be surprised to see us punt the ball way more than we're used to. Why? Holding penalties. We've gotten away with several close calls and all it will take is one yellow flag and it's Puntsville. The Bears game is the perfect venue for a sloppy punt-filled contest. I'd be shocked if I'm wrong. The Bears just always turn the game into a shit storm and they win a fair amount of them. If you're wanting a stress free blowout against a rookie qb, look elsewhere. It's going to be another wild ride!Β 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We had no pass rush and it's a problem. Joe Woods blitzes almost least amount in the league, and that SHOULD be fine because we have a pretty nasty front 4, right? Well, maybe. The frustrating aspect of not blitzing is that you're supposed to have more people in coverage, making it difficult to complete passes. Except that wasn't the case.

Sigh...

Allow me to say this once again. The Browns do not have a "nasty front 4" regarding the pass rush. They have Myles Garrett and three other guys who do not rush the passer well. Browns fans seem to be the only people on Planet Earth that still think Jadeveon Clowney can generate a pass rush. Takk McKinley was considered a bust in Atlanta. The Browns have done many things very well the last two seasons regarding improving the team, roster, etc.

Getting people who can rush the passer beyond Garrett is not one of them, and in fact, last season's DLine was superior in this category.Β 

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sigh...

Allow me to say this once again. The Browns do not have a "nasty front 4" regarding the pass rush. They have Myles Garrett and three other guys who do not rush the passer well.Β 

I would argue that Malik McDowell is nasty-ish, or has nasty potential. There’s been a fewΒ plays you can see something funky growing on him with some puss oozing out, and by that l mean he’s got some power and violence in his pass rush.Β 

• Upvote 2