THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🏈🏈🟫🟫🟫⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧Official Gameday Thread: Texans at Browns🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜⬜🟫🟫🟫🏈🏈🏈

Zombo

10 minutes ago, bigbambo said:

How can you be a coach in the NFL and decline an offside penalty that would give youΒ a 3rd and 10.....and thenΒ punt?Β Β 

I thought that was a really strange coaching decision too. I guess they thought they coulda pinned us back with their punt but that backfired when it bounced into the endzone.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The wife changed it up from our regular grilled salmon marinade with Dijon (see food thread) to a baked salmon with a red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, etc, etc, etc.

It was good but I much prefer the ASIAN GRILLED SALMON preferably on a cedar plank to the baked recipe.

GO BROWNS,Β  nice day but I'm ready for my Butter Pecan ice cream dessert.......baby !

with brown sugarΒ  ? hmmmmΒ  ill let the wife know as i got into my bottle of vodkaΒ Β 

Peace MJP im glad your home

• Thanks 1

Just now, ATOM said:

how long ago did he have it ?Β  Β his body is a machine and should have shaken it off long ago

But he had asthma going into it, which I never knew until it came out he came down with Covid.Β 

Which explains why someone in world class shape got his ass kicked by Covid. Its effects on him was evident at the end of the season.Β 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But he had asthma going into it, which I never knew until it came out he came down with Covid.Β 

Which explains why someone in world class shape got his ass kicked by Covid. Its effects on him was evident at the end of the season.Β 

fuck it im drining some vodakaΒ  peace Dutch we wonΒ 

• Upvote 1

My thoughts on today's game.

Baker is a stud, he is definitely our QB for years to come. He's not the finished product yet but he played a great game today. The pick was on the receiver, and he has to be more careful throwing his body around.

Felton is weapon and needs more snaps. Harrison Bryant catches everything as does Austin Hooper.

Delpit impressed me today and has a bright future as long as he can stay healthy.Β 

Browns lucked out when T. Taylor went down, he was carving us up and Woods had no answer for him.

And just like that, we are in second place in the AFCN. And as I speak,Β  Honey Badger picks Lamar Jackson and takes it to the house. Go Browns!

Β 

Landry and OBJ aren't on the field, and the pass rush has been non-existent.Β 

I thought this after the draft, and so far after two games, its been confirmed... I need to pay attention to pass rushers and wide receivers while watching college football this season.Β 

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought this after the draft, and so far after two games, its been confirmed... I need to pay attention to pass rushers and wide receivers while watching college football this season.Β 

tapes going to show how well LT Leremy Tunsil played for 2 weeks.. He's their best player, traded to protect Watson... Garrett could not find a way either..it happens

2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

tapes going to show how well LT Leremy Tunsil played for 2 weeks.. He's their best player, traded to protect Watson... Garrett could not find a way either..it happens

Does he play both tackle positions?Β 

This defense needs someone beyond Myles to rush the QB. That person doesn't exist on the current roster, and it will be a problem all season long.Β 

For all the preseason hype on DPJ the guy has caught 2 passes in 2 games and fumbled 1 of them. What’s the deal there? It looked like a few times Baker had time to scanΒ the field for an open man but l’m guessing the guys just weren’t getting open.

I hope Landry will be ok because you could at least trust him to make a contested pass.Β 

Just now, Ibleedbrown said:

For all the preseason hype on DPJ the guy has caught 2 passes in 2 games and fumbled 1 of them.

During the game Woody posted a pic of his upper deck seats at today's game, and my immediate thought was:Β 

"Well, you got a great view of your boy's fumble from up there" 😁

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Does he play both tackle positions?Β 

This defense needs someone beyond Myles to rush the QB. That person doesn't exist on the current roster, and it will be a problem all season long.Β 

Heck..a few times i saw Malik McDowell out at Garrett's edge.. still nothing.. Texans are not has bad as media thinks..

We've spent first round picks on Ward and Newsome. Second round picks on Delpit and Greedy. We've spent a bunch on free agents who can cover. With all of this talent, why the fuck does Joe Woods insist on playing so much soft coverage against Tyrod Taylor?Β 

Also, I wonder if Baker is going to be able to throw the ball at practice on Monday. He didn't make a single long throw after his non-throwing shoulder injury.Β 

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

During the game Woody posted a pic of his upper deck seats at today's game, and my immediate thought was:Β 

"Well, you got a great view of your boy's fumble from up there" 😁

Oh zing, haha.

I would be curious if any of you All 22 watchers could shed some insight on a play in the life of DPJ. It seems the most notable difference between camp and real games is the contact. Is getting bumped at the line really throwing him off? I also recall a knock on him is he’s fast but maybe doesn’t get up to speed as fast as you’d like to see. I dunno. He certainly showed some catching ability but we’re just seeing it translate yet. Hell, Higgins seems to be buried on the depth chart and is out-catching him.Β 

34 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

We've spent first round picks on Ward and Newsome. Second round picks on Delpit and Greedy. We've spent a bunch on free agents who can cover. With all of this talent, why the fuck does Joe Woods insist on playing so much soft coverage against Tyrod Taylor?Β 

Also, I wonder if Baker is going to be able to throw the ball at practice on Monday. He didn't make a single long throw after his non-throwing shoulder injury.Β 

Because this team cannot generate a pass rush.Β 

The one thing this team did not do, but is the most important thing you can do in 2021, is get players who can rush the QB.Β 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yup, he had an underlying condition.Β  And at this point nobody is really sure what kind of lingering (long term?) affects COVID my have when underlying conditions are present.

I didn't see the game - my band played an outdoor show today - but I've now watched a healthy bunch of highlights.Β  And it seems like DPJ got whacked pretty quickly after catching the ball and hit pretty much right on the ball.Β  Not certain that he should be crucified for that one.

Someone mentioned that Baker's pick was 'on the receiver'.Β  The highlight didn't show it, but did Schwartz stop his route as the ball was being thrown?Β Β 

Chubb shows such great patience allowing blocks to happen, setting up blocks, while still keeping his feet moving and not being a standing target.....yet when he sees an opening he accelerates to 'very fast', very fast.Β  I absolutely love that guy!Β  And Kareem Hunt runs withΒ all of the effort that he can possibly muster...and is a real team player on that offense.Β  He is like, the prefect sub for Chubb.Β  I REALLY like Kareem Hunt, the football player.Β  I'll leave it there.

For a guy that's supposedly not very fast, and is an easy arm tackle, FeltonΒ certainly produced the two times that he was target by Baker.Β 

Looks like our TE group accounted for 11 of Baker's 19 completions.Β  That's a signature of a Stefanski team in the making I think.Β Β 

My interpretation of the highlights and stats...it was way far from an easy win.

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Because this team cannot generate a pass rush.Β 

The one thing this team did not do, but is the most important thing you can do in 2021, is get players who can rush the QB.Β 

I’m with you we need our front 4 to dominate and it is essential to the defense that Woods calls.Β 

But say it with me…when the front four can’t generate pressure you need to send a backer, safety, corner…whatever else to disrupt a QBs timing and throws. Β  The starters and backups in this league are too good to give 5/6 seconds in a pocket.Β 
Β 

And credit to Woods in the secondΒ half when he sent Delpit and Hill on separate plays and put the Texans well behind the chains when they made big plays.Β 

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

God Bless America, You Pancake-eating Motherfuckers!!

Z

Perfect weather tougher game than we anticipated.Β 

3 hours ago, Neo said:

And just like that, we are in second place in the AFCN. And as I speak,Β  Honey Badger picks Lamar Jackson and takes it to the house. Go Browns!

Β 

Damn Ratbirds. Fumble on demand on the game winning drive. Figures. they get the breaks against KC, we don't.Β  :(Β 

10 hours ago, Neo said:

My thoughts on today's game.

Baker is a stud, he is definitely our QB for years to come. He's not the finished product yet but he played a great game today. The pick was on the receiver, and he has to be more careful throwing his body around.

Felton is weapon and needs more snaps. Harrison Bryant catches everything as does Austin Hooper.

Delpit impressed me today and has a bright future as long as he can stay healthy.Β 

Browns lucked out when T. Taylor went down, he was carving us up and Woods had no answer for him.

Good post Neo.. I'd like to toss in Jedrick Wills into here.. I don't think WillsΒ was even 80% good to play on a bad ankle.. At times, Jed could barely get off the pile or ground from tv views.. Jed gutted it out this game.Wills tookΒ 43Β snaps & Blake HanceΒ played 18..Β  Lucky enough.. Our OL wore the TexansΒ down just before half & a full 4th quarterΒ Β 

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

But say it with me…when the front four can’t generate pressure you need to send a backer, safety, corner…whatever else to disrupt a QBs timing and throws. Β  The starters and backups in this league are too good to give 5/6 seconds in a pocket.Β 
Β 

And credit to Woods in the secondΒ half when he sent Delpit and Hill on separate plays and put the Texans well behind the chains when they made big plays.Β 

did you notice (or read) who had the green dot to communicate with Woods on the sidelines? Mal Smith or JJ3 ? We may miss Anthony Walker's vision of 'on field play-call adjustments,' more than we think? We still have not played a game, that included Delpit & Walker on the field.. OBJ needs a full practice week with contact on the other side. J. Landry will have a mri monday looking at a mcl 🀞

39 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

OBJ needs a full practice week with contact on the other side. J. Landry will have a mri monday looking at a mcl 🀞

We do now have a receiver coming off of the suspended list however.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Someone mentioned that Baker's pick was 'on the receiver'.Β  The highlight didn't show it, but did Schwartz stop his route as the ball was being thrown?Β Β 

He did, for sure. The ball was still high and IMO probably still ends up as an INT, but Schwartz stopped his route too. Schwartz definitely had some rookie moments today, this play, a really bad block, and covered the TE on an illegal formation.

• Thanks 1

Re: the Baker pick.Β 

There are a few variations of that hitch - po, hitch - dig/square that attacks the cover 2 the Texans were playing.Β 

The #1 (intended, primary) usually has some leeway on his route in this concept because, like anything else, not all cover 2 is the same, dependent on the Safety leverage and depth.Β Β 

That sideline shot to Bryant earlier was an example of exploiting the dead spots of cover 2 and Baker held the safety reasonably well.Β  I don't have the all 22 but IIRC that was also Njoku lined up to that field side running part of the divide concept ( 9/go outside, 8/post inside) to stress that safety.

Depending on how both Baker & Schwartz read coverage, you can break that off sharp like a deep square and take a couple steps back to the ball.Β  You can flatten or round the route as necessary and carry it in a dig.Β  OR with time and offensive structure, a receiver can break it to the post if he has that type of option on the top of his route.Β 

From the initial look, Schwartz went more with the sharper square in while Baker was (possibly) expecting him to move slighter farther upfield and inside. More of a dig.Β  Β  I still feel the ball placement would have been a bit high for a 5'11 receiver.Β  But when dealing with rookies that are raw in their footworkΒ and come from below average passing offenses, I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the QB and go back to see where the miscommunication may lie.

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

defensive back played a soft cushion and gave up some big plays.Β 

Unpopular with some on ο»Ώhere calling out Woods and Ward but it is the truth.

The thing with the cushion is that can beΒ called by the defensive coordinator. If ward was willingly giving the cushion then shame on him but I tend to believe that's the way the defense was called.