THE BROWNS BOARD

Still laughing over OBJ trade talk?

Icecube

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

It probably won't happen because no team will give more than peanuts for him, but it's so obvious it should be done. It's been the talk on sports shows this week. 

i don't know about that cube.....he needs a good qb...this guy is still a top 5 reciever.....let him hook up with the packers....you will see a big difference than what is going on here.....someone out there will be willing to pay up for him...shit....teams are still signing josh gordon for heavens sake....

I see very little upside to trading him at this point. 

Heard something like 15 mil against the cap and the best I think you could do from anybody would be a 3rd rounder.... And that is probably a stretch. 

I'm just not on the "Jump off a bridge, this season is over" crowd though. If you keep him on the roster and he has one or two huge games like that Dallas game last year I'd think it's worth keeping him. Plus it's not like he's being a dick and not even trying to play. He's actually doing and saying the right things. I'd still rather have him on the field than dumping him and having some practice squad guy out there. Higgy or DPJ arent exactly #1 WR's...

Let's see what happens this week with Chubb out, might let Kev open up the passing game a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

I see very little upside to trading him at this point. 

Heard something like 15 mil against the cap and the best I think you could do from anybody would be a 3rd rounder.... And that is probably a stretch. 

I'm just not on the "Jump off a bridge, this season is over" crowd though. If you keep him on the roster and he has one or two huge games like that Dallas game last year I'd think it's worth keeping him. Plus it's not like he's being a dick and not even trying to play. He's actually doing and saying the right things. I'd still rather have him on the field than dumping him and having some practice squad guy out there. Higgy or DPJ arent exactly #1 WR's...

Let's see what happens this week with Chubb out, might let Kev open up the passing game a bit.

It's far too early to quit on the season.. It's just getting started...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Icecube said:

It probably won't happen because no team will give more than peanuts for him, but it's so obvious it should be done. It's been the talk on sports shows this week. 

Mary Kay Rabbit started it.... so fn' what? He's here for the year. Personally I'm  more concerned about Gillian losing his punting leg as to what may or may not happen with OBJ.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Of all the receivers in the league two lead the pack of getting open. One is Davonte Adam’s. Who do you suppose the other one is?

After last Sunday, I'd have to say either one of the starting WRs that play for the LA Chargers. There's 2 young QBs right now that actually look way BETTER to me at the professional level than they ever looked in college: Justin Herbert and Josh Allen.  

System and surrounding talent has a lot to do with the fate of young QBs.  If Matt Nagy continued to call plays in Chicago - Justin Fields would still feel like he's playing against Cleveland. How does a coach that supposedly learned under Andy Reid end up looking like he went to the school of Offensive Coordination by Hue Jackson?  YES, we all know Mahomes sat and watched former #1 overall pick Alex Smith play like a seasoned veteran into the playoffs.  Having said that, Andy Reid also drafted Donovan McNabb from a college Veer Option Offense at Syracuse that many NFL scouts labelled too unconventional for the NFL game.  McNabb started as a rookie and shined for a team that would have drafted #1 overall if Cleveland wasn't re-entering the league.  Why would he go that route?  Brett Favre came out of a similar offense at So Miss and Andy Reid had no problem acclimating him to the NFL game.

The strange thing about the fire and ice chemistry between OBJ and Baker is that these guys have actually spent time in some previous off-seasons working together.  I don't know what changes when they get out on the field on game days.  My guess is that an offense that is supposed to be TE friendly isn't designed to keep a superstar WR happy.  For example, WR Stefon Diggs wanted out of that Minnesota offense. Meanwhile, there were a lot of people questioning why Minnesota committed so heavily to Kirk Cousins; and some prolly still are. Now Diggs is very happy in Buffalo where it's all about the vertical game.  Their TEs don't catch a lot of passes per say; but it sure likes like they have a high % of TDs per reception.  Minnesota still has a strong running game like we have while the fanbase contemplates how worthy Cousins is of his contract.  

FWIW, I'm not one that wants to throw Baker out regardless of how popular that may get with him under the current offensive philosophies.  And why?  Let's just say I've taken inventory of all the QBs this franchise brought here to be our solution since 99.  The 2 seasons leading up to drafting Baker this franchise was 1-31.  Then it was 0-1-1 before Baker had to come in and erase a 14 point deficit to the Jets in his rookie year.  This team went 7-7 after the moment he first stepped on the field.  He also led us to 11-5 plus a playoff W in Pittsburgh.  When OBJ wasn't here while Landy played on a bad hip that require off season surgery - Baker had to win some games late with his arm.  I remember 1 Cincy game last year where we had no time outs with only about 1 minute and 20 seconds left where he had to lead us to a TD with his arm for the win.  And he did it with guys like Hollywood, Peoples-Jones, and K. Hodge, etc.  If we can EVER keep a LT and his backup healthy - seasons like last year in that offensive design remain possible here IMO.

• Upvote 4

I had to laugh when Stephen A proposed Baker was trying to sabotage Beckhams career.... He lost all credibility.. I guess he forgot that Baker and and Odell spent a lot of time together this off season working on chemistry... And the other nugget that made me laugh when he was patting Dan Orlovskys back about being a good analyst.. Ugh Stephen... You never played the game.. You're just a paid arm chair QB who uses racism as his platform.. No one needs your approval you phony loser!

Odell leads the team in targets, I believe someone mentioned? I'll have to trust that because I can't look at up at the moment. However if you have a WR leading the team in targets but a RB who (before last sunday) was leading the team in receiving yards, that tends to indicate an inability to get the WR the ball. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Odell leads the team in targets, I believe someone mentioned? I'll have to trust that because I can't look at up at the moment. However if you have a WR leading the team in targets but a RB who (before last sunday) was leading the team in receiving yards, that tends to indicate an inability to get the WR the ball. 

I still can't believe Odell muffed that easy pass...

8 minutes ago, nickers said:

I still can't believe Odell muffed that easy pass...

I can.  Receivers usually need to get into a rhythm just like QB's.    When you have a receiver who doesn't get the volume he should, any chance you get to make a big play you're going to hammer.  Classic case of OBJ looking upfield to make a big play before he finished bringing the ball in.  \

Doesn't excuse anything, but I get it.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yea, the story is Baker forces passes to OBJ, hurting the entire D. It was precisely when OBJ went out during the Cinci game that Baker came to life, and for the rest of the year, mind you. They say Baker throws to the open man with OBJ out of the game, but forces passes to him when he's in. It looks true to me. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I can.  Receivers usually need to get into a rhythm just like QB's.    When you have a receiver who doesn't get the volume he should, any chance you get to make a big play you're going to hammer.  Classic case of OBJ looking upfield to make a big play before he finished bringing the ball in.  \

Doesn't excuse anything, but I get it.

He was looking to celebrate before he secured the ball is what I took away from that..

30 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Yea, the story is Baker forces passes to OBJ, hurting the entire D. It was precisely when OBJ went out during the Cinci game that Baker came to life, and for the rest of the year, mind you. They say Baker throws to the open man with OBJ out of the game, but forces passes to him when he's in. It looks true to me. 

And the examples I've provided where Baker would have put TD's on the board when Odell was in but missed the read...? 

Nobody seems to be able to counter those beyond a "coincidence".  Truth is, Baker committed himself to playing and reading better.  Part of me believes he struggles with certain looks and throwing the ball to the perimeter.  But my belief isn't without evidence or merit.

And nobody also wants to admit, if Eli manning could get Odell the ball, why can't Baker and the offense?  

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Huge? He dropped the biggest key pass to a comeback bid to get back into the game. 

I'll go on record right now... OBJ will never be what he once was...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MDDawg said:

The conventional wisdom is OBJ will be out after this season. Let's see if he can make some big plays in the playoffs where we'll really need him.

One of many wisdoms under development to be sure, but Geez... even I won't go so far as to label Cube "unconventional"... :D

Now irrationally insecure on the other hand....

21 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I wouldn't treat it so caviler, he could cost the Browns a Super Bowl run. 

3 turnovers on the CLE side of the field yesterday and Baker not seeing Odell on an easy drag for a 1st down, turnover ON downs, all well before Odell and his drop.   Which, hilariously enough, I mentioned the casual fan (such as yourself) would use as a lightning rod to ignore the larger issue(s) with this team - injuries and Baker.   Because it's easier to just say "ODELL BAD" then to admit this team may have some flaws along with some hurt.  

It bothers me that people this dumb actually exist.

Baker is not consistent enough for the Browns to overcome injuries. 

I don’t think we are anymore special than any other team on the injury front.  I watch the Giants each week.  No Blake Martinez (for the year) Saquon (mostly out), Peppers (mostly out), their interior line is banged up, Sterling Shepard (mostly out).  I’ve named their core and they all have missed time. 

Last week I can honestly cite that we lost because of injuries to our secondary…but we weren’t good enough to overcome those (backups and coaching). This week we had our top 3 tackle options at the start of the season all out.  Hudson isn’t ready may never be ready.  But it changed our play-calling and then we allowed more pressure than usual (QB play and coaching) weren’t good enough to overcome this.   The line was not great yesterday…but some of you on here have ZERO understanding of the role a line plays and expect 6/7 seconds every pass play….ain’t happening…but our QB needs it because he isn’t processing reads and making decisions quick enough or flat out not seeing the field well.

Im thankful that Baker has played a big part in bringing this franchise up from the pit of misery and he’s been aided but what I believe is one of the Top 5 setups for a QB (backs, line, WR, coaching).  Can anyone here see him string together 3 consistent games in January against great competition? Essentially Protecting the ball, making the reads and executing the offense. My money is on “NO”.  The bar is the Super Bowl. Teri Pluto said this an average team.  I disagree. 

So if this franchise wants to go there…they need to covet 1st round picks a little less and other young talent and find a Rodgers, or a Russ or the next Stafford.