THE BROWNS BOARD

Elon Musk buys Twitter!!! God bless America!

- I would love to see a timeline with key moments for when conservatives became infatuated with Musk

- It'll be interesting to see Musk's long term play here. Why is he really doing this, what are his goals, etc. Will be interesting to watch. What his intentions are and what the political right think his intentions are could easily be two different things.  

Hopefully this is all positive. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

- I would love to see a timeline with key moments for when conservatives became infatuated with Musk

- It'll be interesting to see Musk's long term play here. Why is he really doing this, what are his goals, etc. Will be interesting to watch. What his intentions are and what the political right think his intentions are could easily be two different things.  

Like we care.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

A couple posts up:

image.png.342151f537c17c9c98314a904f1b5a

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

A couple posts up:

image.png.342151f537c17c9c98314a904f1b5a

I understand what he's said publicly. That doesn't mean those are his intentions behind the scenes. 

You think he spent $44B just because he believes in free speech that much?

Look, I'm hoping for the best. I don't use Twitter, or really any social media, but if he can make it better then that's awesome. This has to be a good business deal for him, there has to be a plan to for him to make money. He didn't do this because he wants to specifically championing conservative causes. That in itself doesn't make money. 

We'll see how it all shakes out

• Upvote 1

I. To be honest, don't think freedom of speech is that great of an idea. Humans haven't the responsibility to exercise it in a largely consequence free fashion like on Twitter. Our technology has overtaken our mental and emotional development. 

I'd settle for equality in censorship where they censor all the scumbags instead of protecting half of them because they're your allies. 

6 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I. To be honest, don't think freedom of speech is that great of an idea. Humans haven't the responsibility to exercise it in a largely consequence free fashion like on Twitter. Our technology has overtaken our mental and emotional development. 

I'd settle for equality in censorship where they censor all the scumbags instead of protecting half of them because they're your allies. 

I'll stay with we all have the ability to filter out the dumbasses.. As it's always been..

Seriously, who do you think should be in charge of this "equality in censorship" you speak of?😳

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I would still describe myself as a classical liberal, but I'll give you mine.

• Musk vehemently disagreed with Trump on climate change and his 2017 travel ban. However, he met with Trump in spite of these differences. He was frustrated and spoke out against people who called on him to cut ties with Trump. He ultimately did quit Trump's American Enterprise Council when Trump backed out of the Paris Climate Accords. The fact that Musk bothered to try when Trump was getting Hitlerian comparisons was symbolic. I hadn't paid much attention to him up to this point, tbh. 
  • Musk makes a comment here or there for more transparency in big tech and big media. Calls out ownership of mass media. 
  • COVID happens. Everyone becomes a physician-scientist. Masks don't do anything. Masks fix everything. Masks slow the spread a little. Rinse and repeat for experimental medications. Ivermectin is now a right-wing drug. 
  • Posting criticisms of the response to the virus on social media may or may not result in being labeled a spreader of misinformation or having your account demonetized/shadowbanned/delisted/suspended. These people are labeled as conspiracy theorists. 
  • No oversight on who makes the above banning decisions. Right-wing twitter outraged that they appear to be targeted most. Independents more upset at the precedent this sets. 
  • Race riots happen. Pelosi and other Democrats in Congress wear dashikis. Corporations, in lockstep, release vague statements of support and change their social media pictures to a black background while doing actually nothing to address root causes. 
  • Criticisms of the violence being treated similarly as criticisms of COVID response. Independents still remain quiet because any disapproval will now come with the label of racist.
  • 2020 election coming up at this point
  • Musk makes another couple of comments here or there on how social media is ruining things
  • Social media and big media started making politically motivated censorship and promotion decisions.
  • Mass media colludes to decide that no one will report on Hunter Biden's dealings with a backwards Slavic slush fund of a nation, even though Trump Jr's dealings with a backwards Slavic slush fund of a nation were fair game. Anyone discussing such dealings is labeled as a conspiracy theorist.
  • Anyone posting anything about Hunter Biden's laptop on Twitter or Facebook gets algorithm'd - in my opinion, this was the turning point. Now, not only were the right-wing people being targeted upset about this, but classical liberals like Tulsi Gabbard, Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Sam Harris, Michael Tracey were now raising alarm bells too about the precedent that was set. At this point, they got deplatformed by the legacy media and labelled as Russian assets. When I pointed the danger of this precedent out to my neoliberal friends, the response was "Well, the media learned their lesson from 2016." I'm beside myself hearing that nonsense, but I truly think my friends actually believed what they were saying. 
  • The January 6th "Insurrection" happens and social media allows stories like "A cop got beat to death by insurrectionists" spread like wildfire, until they quietly recant the story a month later when it's out of the news cycle. I don't recall any misinformation labels going out on the people posting those stories
  • Trump gets banned from Twitter
  • Again, people like Gabbard, Greenwald, Taibbi, Harris, Tracey sound the alarm. Musk starts slinging mud at the tech giants on his social media account. 
  • Neoliberals and neoconservatives meanwhile are celebrating this as a victory "for democracy" and against "hate speech," ignoring the fact that people other than Trump supporters are uneasy that some Twitter programmers in San Francisco have this kind of power. Smug neoliberals tell anyone who finds this status quo unsettling to build their own Twitter
  • Some pissed off populists create Gab, a social media network intended for conservatives. Gab gets hacked and everyone who made an account has their identity leaked. Credit giants and banks halt any transfer of funds to gab accounts and the servers are shut down. Smug liberals tell them to make their own banks. 
  • 2022, Russia declares war on Ukraine. The same people who were calling the underdog Ukraine team backwater, Slav racists get reprogrammed to think of Ukraine as the representation of all democracy (never mind the dealings with our President's children nor the FBI investigating the Ukrainian oligarchs who owned most downtown Cleveland real estate in 2019 for money laundering. These pieces of shit fled to Ukraine under the protection of Zelenskyy. A digression from my point, but for having fucked with my city, I honestly hope the Russians get them.) 
  • Elon takes the mask off and begins shitposting "I support the current thing" memes. 
  • Musk buys Twitter one month later
  • Today, every conservative and moderate liberal who felt marginalized or labeled as a Russian asset is doing a victory lap. The hypocrites who cheered on Trump getting the boot and misinformation labels being applied to anything that goes against the groupthink are now upset that they are no longer the favored population at Twitter HQ.  

It's hard not to cheer him on right now. 

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You think he spent $44B just because he believes in free speech that much?

Look, I'm hoping for the best. I don't use Twitter, or really any social media, but if he can make it better then that's awesome. This has to be a good business deal for him, there has to be a plan to for him to make money. He didn't do this because he wants to specifically championing conservative causes. That in itself doesn't make money. 

I don't really think money is the primary motivator for this. How on earth is he going to spin this into a quick buck? Certainly, there are easier ways to turn a profit. He may really value free speech that much. I hope he does. I think the motivation for this is his ego. He's the richest dude in the world. He's banged crazy Amber Heard and dumped her to upgrade to ...Grimes. He has ambitions to get a colony on Mars. If he somehow meets his lofty goals with this cesspool of a company, I'd argue it's as big a deal as landing humans on Mars.

OMG, the fucking leftist heads are going to explode!

We have Jen Sucki concerned about “misinformation” being disseminated on a Social Media platform!

So does that mean that all of the shit from Bigfoot, to Ghosts and Goblins aren’t true?!

Oh…THE HORROR!

5DF33D3D-44F8-470F-9DAF-427364AC5034.jpeg