THE BROWNS BOARD

2022 NFL Draft: Day 1

Dutch Oven

It's been an interesting night of football draft picking   -and-  reading posts online,   quite enjoyable indeed.    :)

Cole Strange & Quay Walker might be the only 2 reaches? add Malik Willis getting into the 2nd round... a +plus 3, may carry some good ballers to pick #44

good night peeps.. been fun

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Time to open a little Messina Hof Ports of Call. Nice little port wine made right in Aggieland area from the Lenoir grape a.k.a. Black Spanish Grape native to Texas. hoorta and Tour 🍷would appreciate it.

Sorry Ag, if it's not from Portugal it's not a port. Call me snob city in that regard.  I'll try almost anything once, but steer clear of that Italian stuff from a few decades ago that was contaminated with methyl (wood) alcohol. A few folks died from drinking cheap.  (IIRC, about a buck a gallon) 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep me, tour and hoorta are all wine whores. Of course since 25% of my DNA is from the Iberian Peninsula, had to have one made from the Black Spanish Grape, first used here in Catholic Communion in the olden days of Spanish missions.

Nope, according to the Temperance Police, I'm a slut, asshole, moron, and falling down drunk... :(  I prefer a connoisseur of fine wines, thank you very much..  The TP (toilet paper tea totalers.. had to get that one in) would be aghast when I tell them (in all humility) my expertise allowed me to help teach a class in wine appreciation at our local University.  

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When I was growing up it was just plain old Welch's grape juice. I learned there was better stuff out there later on. LOL!

Well, according to Church standards, this is the stuff we (used) to use at Church.  Available in 3 liter economy jugs.  Covid has put a big damper on having a wine fest.  BTW, Saint Paul had some harsh words for those who used to get sloshed during the early Christian services. BTW, if you take the religion out of it, it would be equivalent to 19 Crimes rose.  :)   

The Hammer Hammer Special Altar | Vivino

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Ag, if it's not from Portugal it's not a port. Call me snob city in that regard.  I'll try almost anything once, but steer clear of that Italian stuff from a few decades ago that was contaminated with methyl (wood) alcohol. A few folks died from drinking cheap.  (IIRC, about a buck a gallon) 

Nope, according to the Temperance Police, I'm a slut, asshole, moron, and falling down drunk... :(  I prefer a connoisseur of fine wines, thank you very much..  The TP (toilet paper tea totalers.. had to get that one in) would be aghast when I tell them (in all humility) my expertise allowed me to help teach a class in wine appreciation at our local University.  

Well, according to Church standards, this is the stuff we (used) to use at Church.  Available in 3 liter economy jugs.  Covid has put a big damper on having a wine fest.  BTW, Saint Paul had some harsh words for those who used to get sloshed during the early Christian services. BTW, if you take the religion out of it, it would be equivalent to 19 Crimes rose.  :)   

The Hammer Hammer Special Altar | Vivino

Remember to hit that after you post but before. But kidding aside looks like we got a C. And if I'm not mistaken your reasoning was that we got DeShaun Watson for our first-round pic.

WSS

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Philly added some serious talent yesterday.

The Jets had an A and two A+ 's in the draft last night according to that link provided by Unsymp. I'd say they are already the biggest winners this year regardless of how they do from here on out. The more they picked and how they did it was just a gem of a draft day to watch for them. Made the "Draft Day" movie look bad in comparison.😆

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The Jets had an A and two A+ 's in the draft last night according to that link provided by Unsymp. I'd say they are already the biggest winners this year regardless of how they do from here on out. The more they picked and how they did it was just a gem of a draft day to watch for them. Made the "Draft Day" movie look bad in comparison.😆

Remains to be seen if they can further develop and properly deploy their talent. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Remains to be seen if they can further develop and properly deploy their talent. 

seems like, we just don't play the Jets well.. a stout defense makes a showing.. 2-6 in last 8 games vs jets.. 

Just now, gumby73 said:

seems like, we just don't play the Jets well.. a stout defense makes a showing.. 2-6 in last 8 games vs jets.. 

So far I think the Jets have won the draft...

24 minutes ago, nickers said:

So far I think the Jets have won the draft...

I still don't get the boneheaded texans GM thinking.... CB Stingley > CB Sauce Gardner at pick 3...

I don't think the Jets gm Douglas would have taken Stingley at pick 4? G.Wilson fell in their lap...

loved the move from RD2, to trading up to pick 26 to get JJ.. they got some breaks/ than bold in day1

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I still don't get the boneheaded texans GM thinking.... CB Stingley > CB Sauce Gardner at pick 3...

I don't think the Jets gm Douglas would have taken Stingley at pick 4?

Totally agree. Texans screwed the pooch. They should have learned from the Browns' experiences with picking talented LSU DBs who are off the field as much as they are on it due to injuries.

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Totally agree. Texans screwed the pooch. They should have learned from the Browns' experiences with picking talented LSU DBs who are off the field as much as they are on it due to injuries.

I mean both could turn into another a Justin Gilbert head case at any point... but take the stud, that can't remember his last TD given up (proven stats) & plays every snap like his last snap.. 

I maybe birthday hungover as hell this morning?🤯 but damm glad I'm not waking up as a texans fan with it! :)

On the non-Browns divisional front:

I love that the Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett. Many had him as a third round talent, doesn't have a big arm, I think he's ends up a huge bust. I figured the Steelers were going Malik Willis.

Ravens traded away Hollywood Brown for a first rounder. I get Hollywood isn't a top 10 WR, but he's definitely solid. He went for 91/1,008/6 with Lamar missing 5 games. Not sure who they are going to throw to - Rashard Bateman as their #1 WR? Mark Andrews is a stud TE but they have nothing at WR unless I'm missing something. 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I still don't get the boneheaded texans GM thinking.... CB Stingley > CB Sauce Gardner

Stingley had recoverable injuries the last couple years and was #1CB in all of CFB the year he had none.. Sauce is slightly bigger, Stingley is a more fluid athlete.. As always, the difference is in the details of their technique.

Highlights of a paywalled TheAthletic article

*Stingley's press technique is much more advanced& will lead to less penalties in the NFL than Gardner's handsy-ness

*Stingley's hands are far better than Gardner's.

Texans GM is still boneheaded of course. But likely not with this pick in a vacuum..

However, Kenyon Green.. was nowhere near as good of a pick. Fine with it - if a C- is fine.  Green is not a first-rounder to me due to athleticism concerns.  Another reason Texans GM doesn't know what he was doing: if he wanted OL/CB out of this draft class, go OT at #3 and CB at 17.

15 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I would be pissed if I was Aaron Rodgers. Yes the defense is now crazy [they just took DT Wyatt] but is Rodgers going to throw to drones carrying his MVP trophies?

Well, considering six WRs went off the board before the Packers were on the clock, including Alabama's Williams who's rehabbing his ACL, who some thought might fall into the second round. 

It was a value pick, pure and simple. They probably had Walker as significantly better than doing a reach on a WR that they had as a third round talent.