THE BROWNS BOARD

AFCN Draft Aftermath Assessments....

Tour2ma

So who improved? Did nothing? Declined?

Consider trades as well as picks.

I see the Ravens as winning this draft. Big WR upgrade.. TEs... and of course a couple Defenders with stud potential at every level.

Steelers.... although I think the Pickett selection is a natural for them and thought that was where they'd go, it feels old now. As if trying to go Big Ben 2.0 when they been trying to get more dynamic for a couple years now. I see it as a wash... treading water... All the moreso with Tomlin ging on all week about wanting a mobile QB... Pickett is not statue, but....

Bengals.... not sure here.... Loaded up on DBs an area of need to be sure, but could simply be a bunch of back ups.

4 hours ago, runyon27 said:

Maybe I missed it, what WR upgrade did the Ravens have? I think thats the glaring hole the have is at WR and their big edge guy won't play until next year so wont know about him just yet.

Ya, they actually traded Hollywood Brown and did not draftva receiver on the roster to replace him.

I'm sure Lamar is thrilled.

Z

25 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Ya, they actually traded Hollywood Brown and did not draftva receiver on the roster to replace him.

I'm sure Lamar is thrilled.

Z

Maybe they'll try to sign Jarvis lol

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

You're over selling this.  Felton isn't the player Jarvis is.  He's a tweener at best right now. 

we put to much on his plate last year having to be a running back and a WR if he is just plays WR he should be fine

1 minute ago, syd said:

who is lamar going to attempt to throw the ball 2

Mark Andrews and some other kid they have

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So who improved? Did nothing? Declined?

Consider trades as well as picks.

I see the Ravens as winning this draft. Big WR upgrade.. TEs... and of course a couple Defenders with stud potential at every level.

Steelers.... although I think the Pickett selection is a natural for them and thought that was where they'd go, it feels old now. As if trying to go Big Ben 2.0 when they been trying to get more dynamic for a couple years now. I see it as a wash... treading water... All the moreso with Tomlin ging on all week about wanting a mobile QB... Pickett is not statue, but....

Bengals.... not sure here.... Loaded up on DBs an area of need to be sure, but could simply be a bunch of back ups.

BINGO, except I'll disagree about Pickett (not that I want to).  The University of Pitt hasn't been relevant in a long time until he brought them to another level.  As for the tiny hands label, I didn't see them stopping him from being accurate at all.   

As much as I appreciate what Chris Hubbard did in terms of accepting less money to stay in Cleveland, we should have drafted that RT Daniel Faalele (or other Tackles) when we knee jerked for Alex Wright in round 3.   The irony here is Wright and Faalele are going to be facing each other when they want to run the ball.  Alex Wright was probably a 6th or 7th round prospect at best for 31 other teams. In choosing Wright and Emerson Cleveland gift wrapped Travis Jones to Baltimore in round 3.  While Wright is only a 3rd round pick - that was the round Cleveland finally entered the draft and we couldn't afford to be as careless.  I'll withhold judgment on Emerson (but the Browns traded away Hill feeling like they found their upgrade).  Is it easy to press cover slot receivers/flankers lined up off the line of scrimmage?  

When this team used to draft, they would make all these trades for more picks (which was a great idea IMO).  However, they never had a plan when it got to each of the new picks they traded for.  Then, they'd knee jerk and reach for guys exactly like Alex Wright (way above their projections).  Not for nothing, I didn't mind it as much 10 years ago but I'm 58 years old all of a sudden and there's nothing worse than watching Baltimore drafting guys that we SHOULD have drafted (Travis Jones & Daniel Faalele).  The only pick I really liked before round 4 was David Bell. 

Having said all that, when we finally got to round 4 - the Browns turned it around and did a really nice job the rest of the way.  As I started to smile and fell better about the draft again - I could hear Bill Parcells saying "this is why you bought all that beer!"

14 hours ago, syd said:

who is lamar going to attempt to throw the ball 2

• Round 4: No. 131 – Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State 

Serious upgrade over one-trick-pony Brown In opinion of most talking heads.

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I'm draft full of concerning thoughts.. 🤓 (still tape watching)

1.) Draft 3 Sooners.... 2 of witch gave up a butt load of points playing college football.. they sure weren't Georgia or Alabama players winning with defense..

www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/team/defense-points-season.cfm  (unsecure)

239 2020 21.73 11

81. 335 2021 25.77 13

Before the 2019 season, the 2018 Buckeyes were one of the worst defenses in school history. 

That 2018 defense had Davon Hamilton, Chase Young, Jeff Okudah, Jordan Fuller, Kendall Sheffield, Shaun Wade, Damon Arnette, Malik Harrison & Dre'Mont Jones.

Point being, there's something to be said for coaching and design.  And Alex Grinch hasn't been the most popular coordinator at times. 

• Upvote 1

More grades:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2022/5/1/23050090/nfl-draft-grades-2022-winners-losers-final

Grade: C-

Cleveland Browns

Best pick: Perrion Winfrey, DT (108)
Worst pick: Martin Emerson, CB (68)

The Browns did a lot of good with the mid-late round picks they had. The pickup of Perrion Winfrey in the fourth round was inspired, and he could easily become a starter for the Browns within a couple of years. This was a very unsexy draft, that really comes down to Deshaun Watson and how that decision will play out.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2022-best-worst-classes/ksxemy5srefixxchzvdkp0a1

#21. Cleveland Browns

• Grade: B

Draft picks: CB Martin Emerson, EDGE Alex Wright, WR David Bell, DT Perrion Winfrey, K Cade York, RB Jerome Ford, WR Mike Woods, EDGE Isiah Thomas, C Dawson Deaton

The Browns used their early draft capital to get Deshaun Watson and didn't get more by choosing not to deal Baker Mayfield during. Emerson and Wright were shaky initial depth picks, but Bell and Winfrey were incredible need values for Andrew Berry. They also copycatted the Bengals and solved their big kicker issue with York. It's a true middle-class haul.

46 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Before the 2019 season, the 2018 Buckeyes were one of the worst defenses in school history. 

That 2018 defense had Davon Hamilton, Chase Young, Jeff Okudah, Jordan Fuller, Kendall Sheffield, Shaun Wade, Damon Arnette, Malik Harrison & Dre'Mont Jones.

Point being, there's something to be said for coaching and design.  And Alex Grinch hasn't been the most popular coordinator at times. 

Thanks.. true this^^

What the heck happened to my post? I replied to Orions RB  visit post & it disappeared too..I logged off for a while because the Board seemed to lose about 3 hours of post.. @Westside Steve I'm still getting a bunch of 500 & 504 codes..

check in later..

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I read that Winfrey played about 20 pounds lighter for Grinch’s scheme.  He looked different at the Senior Bowl

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/oklahoma/.amp/football/why-perrion-winfrey-other-oklahoma-players-were-frustrated-and-mad-as-hell-about-2021

Both our newly added Sooners were pretty critical of Grinch.  And it was pretty insane how much 0 tech they had Winfrey playing.  The amount of slants and stunts were eye opening.  Because they either produce TFL or were exploited to great effect. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Definitely are immediately after the fact.

Need to wait at least three years, preferably longer to really see how it plays out. 

Pink Floyd were laughed about then ummm o.k

1 hour ago, syd said:

i dont have a problem with it Just with any draft you have to take a wait and see approach  whats your opinion ?

Thats fine. A draft grade given to a team is basically an opinion of how you think your team fared on draft day. 

The Browns did OK in my opinion. They get a C. 

If a team managed to both fill it's needs and with quality players they probably get an A+

How the player turns out in a few years is irrelevant to this little exercise.

10 hours ago, Gorka said:

Offended by my words again are we?

He's Woodypecker Jr.