THE BROWNS BOARD

🟫⬜️🟧🟧⬜️🟫Official Gameday Thread Browns at Panthers 🟫⬜️🟧🟧⬜️🟫

Zombo

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Also, baker sucks. The panthers will not resign him. He may not be in the league in a few years

If a player can't get ready for months preparing for a new team after all he's no rookie and get fired up for this of all games  at home well if I were a a Carolina fan I would be a bit disappointed. 

Maybe like many of us have believed he just might not have it in him to do much more than we've already seen.  After all he's a very wealthy 20-something guy and why go on taking a beating for more years of this.

I was wondering if he'd be OK with being a well paid backup or just take his generous NFL pension and head for the Bahamas,  eh ?   I guess we'll see, this one got away against a team with a backup quarterback what happens versus the top 10 quarterbacks.   No longer our problem,  good luck Baker it's been swell.

48 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Cade York will win more games this year for us, dude is a very talented kicker 

That's why sometimes the least paid players in the NFL as a group have to come in after the other guys battled for 59:57 and with 00:03 on the clock  have to win or lose the game.

Well we BROWNS fans have something to look forward to for 16 more games.  

GO CADE !   Just win a few more for us.    :)

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

If a player can't get ready for months preparing for a new team after all he's no rookie and get fired up for this of all games  at home well if I were a a Carolina fan I would be a bit disappointed. 

Maybe like many of us have believed he just might not have it in him to do much more than we've already seen.  After all he's a very wealthy 20-something guy and why go on taking a beating for more years of this.

I was wondering if he'd be OK with being a well paid backup or just take his generous NFL pension and head for the Bahamas,  eh ?   I guess we'll see, this one got away against a team with a backup quarterback what happens versus the top 10 quarterbacks.   No longer our problem,  good luck Baker it's been swell.

We know Baker better than Rhule’s staff.  Aside from Delpit having his eyes on the QB and in the backfield a couple times- this was a performance I expected from our defense.  

Good Luck to him I’m sure we will still have some Browns fans that believe we did him wrong and he’s still a franchise QB…60 games of tape illustrates otherwise.

Enough of Baker.

Can we keep Hunt and Chubb and even put some more plays together with them both on the field at the same time.

Major hats off to Hudson. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve been saying Dobbs should be our starter since the preseason.

Anyone who thinks Brissett will win 5-6 games as our starter is living in some alternate universe.

Said it earlier this week.. Brisket sucks. Sucks. Sucks. EDIT:  In the immortal words of Denny Green...  "He is who we thought he was".  A middlin' backup QB... What were Berry and Stefanski smoking thinking that "The Brisket" was an upgrade over Keenum?  However, we have a winnable game coming up against the Jets. Jets. Jets. 2-0 means 5-4 until the arrival of Watson = 7-4.   Give me the Dobbs.   

6 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

We have a real kicker, awesome!

Faker Fakefield - you are horrible and I'm glad we traded your sorry ass. 

You mean Maker Bayfield?  Nah, he showed flashes that he's at least a quality backup. Unlike Brisket who should be benched immediately.  Give the Baked Alaska fans their carrot. He played just well enough to get his team beat, and the Browns won...  :) 

Problem now is...  We can try the ground and pound with Chubb and Hunt, but teams will stack the box to take that away, and dare Brisket to beat them with his arm.  MHO is he's not up to the task. 

Yeah, I'm way glad the opening game streak is no more...  But Jacoby won't be up to beating the good teams we're gong to be facing eventually. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Said it earlier this week.. Brisket sucks. Sucks. Sucks. But we have a winnable game coming up against the Jets. Jets. Jets. 2-0 means 5-4 until the arrival of Watson = 7-4.   Give me the Dobbs.   

You mean Maker Bayfield?  Nah, he showed flashes that he's at least a quality backup. Unlike Brisket who should be benched immediately.  

Problem now is...  We can try the ground and pound with Chubb and Hunt, but teams will stack the box to take that away, and dare Brisket to beat them with his arm.  MHO is he's not up to the task. 

Yeah, I'm way glad the opening game streak is no more...  But Jacoby won't be up to beating the good teams we're gong to be facing eventually. 

I hope DJP’s dad doesn’t put together a video montage of the times he was open and Briskett didn’t throw in his direction.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You've just stated what every HC we face will be telling his DC.  Stack the box!  Stop their run!  And they're done!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

This is a Rare occurrence for the browns. We got lucky. We got a super generous roughing the passer call to set up Cade yorks field goal. Still….I’m so excited about York and the weapon we have at kicker

And we needed it. Jesus, we needed it. 

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

By count.

50+ yard gift to the TE on a busted coverage

2 cheap backside RPO's, a gift from your OC

A bomb on a busted coverage from Delpit.  

When the Panthers have had to earn it, they have failed to capitalize against quality defense.  When the defense has busted in a way that isn't acceptable at the NFL level, that's the only time the Panthers offense has found success.

half true - the refs gave the Browns an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was that a bogus mistake, right when they were trying to get within field goal distance.

Without that, the Browns lose.

Unless York can kick a 73 yard field goal. And the Panthers made some bonehead mistakes that helped the Browns. It went both ways.

The Panthers made a big mistake covering for their oline in the first half, by trying to get cute with short throws. It just played into the strength of the Browns defense. I would have run up the middle with Chuba, thrown way downfield on second down, and put a pass out to McCaffrey on third down if necessary. Get the Browns back on their heels, instead of what they did.

Later on, Baker threw downfield and made big throws. The Panthers oline was not ready for prime time. I was surprised that their LT played as well as he did - except for a few sacks by Superman.

Bissett was dismal most of the game.    Fun game to watch - the Browns had it won - til the 58 ? yard field goal.

Actually, the refs blew two calls - the Panthers saw it, and talked about it:

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-objected-to-two-late-calls-in-browns-comeback-win

Panthers objected to two late calls in Browns comeback win

I think if Bozeman had played at center, the Panthers would have won.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

half true - the refs gave the Browns an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was that a bogus mistake, right when they were trying to get within field goal distance.

Unless York can kick a 73 yard field goal. And the Panthers made some bonehead mistakes that helped the Browns. It went both ways.

The Panthers made a big mistake covering for their oline in the first half, by trying to get cute with short throws. It just played into the strength of the Browns defense. I would have run up the middle with Chuba, thrown way downfield on second down, and put a pass out to McCaffrey on third down if necessary. Get the Browns back on their heels, instead of what they did.

Later on, Baker threw downfield and made big throws. The Panthers oline was not ready for prime time. I was surprised that their LT played as well as he did - except for a few sacks by Superman.

Bissett was dismal most of the game.    Fun game to watch - the Browns had it won - til the 58 ? yard field goal.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-objected-to-two-late-calls-in-browns-comeback-win

Woulda, coulda, shoulda............................

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

They can object all they want, but the defender hit Brissett in the head with his helmet and his arm.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

WideeyedCleanCusimanse-max-1mb.gif.b14a565041c003e096c28a50fb3ffddb.gif

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

No, but we do have Dobbs who is a much better QB.

19 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve been saying Dobbs should be our starter since the preseason.

Anyone who thinks Brissett will win 5-6 games as our starter is living in some alternate universe.

9 minutes ago, BrownsKidd said:

I can't be the only thinking that Dobbs is the better choice of Brisket.... right? Jesus Christ, Brisket couldn't out run the Panther's nose tackle.

Ummm….no.

Three things:

-The amount of auto corrects to "Brisket" for our QB1 between here, Reddit, and Facebook is quite amusing.

-Mayfield sucked nuts in the first half but put the Panthers in a position to win, barring two really questionable foul calls on our last drive. I'm not a Mayfield homer, never have been. But to say "it was only because of X, Y, Z" could be said any game and essentially any QB save 3-4 in the league. Jacoby missed wide open dudes on bad defensive calls. I don't want the guy back, but to simply shake off what he did in the 2nd half to "luck" is short-sighted at best.

-I literally can't enough of Chubb running the football. Gameplan aside, what an absolute pleasure it is to see that dude play the game of football. In my 33 years of life I can easily say I've never watched a dude play as well as he does. The amount of times a 2-3 yard turns into a 5-6 yard play because of his talent is incredible.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

As a Cleveland Browns fan I apologize for NOTHING!  Keep in mind, if that was Bernie Kosar or someone else you approved of - you would have been saying that was a great call that needed to be made. This game was won in the trenches not by the guys blowing whistles. Go look at what team ran the ball and what team could not. McCaffrey finished with 33 yards rushing. Any questions? Putting together only 5 or 6 minutes of acceptable offense in a 60 minute contest doesn't have anyone thinking the Panthers deserved to win.  The Browns also had a sack nullified on a very questionable roughing the passer call earlier in the game.  People can see what they want to on the play you are complaining about.  That said, a defensive player cannot hit a QB in the helmet even if it is only by accident in trying to block a pass when he is in the intimate space of the passer. But if this makes any hurt feelings less hurtful - that 58 FG was high enough up on the net 10 yards behind the goal post to assure all viewers the FG would have been good from about 78 yards away.

Next, how many quarters did it take for Baker to get the ball up over/past our defensive line with any consistency?  If you saw the game Cal; and I'm not sure you did judging by you thinking the better team lost - this was blatant.  They're gonna be the spending the rest of the year in PRO FOOTBALL - game planning for this reality "SO, HOW DO WE THROW THE BALL OVER THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE THIS WEEK AGAINST ANOTHER EXTREMELY WELL PREPARED DEFENSE?"  If there's a kryptonite that stops a QB - it is now in every film room of the defenses he will face the rest of the year. They're going to be seeing how McCaffrey only had 4 catches for 24 yards (most of them on 1 play) while DJ Moore was held to just 3 receptions on 6 targets for 43 yards. I doubt any of them are going to think Carolina got screwed on the scoreboard.    

Our backup QB was an effective game manager yesterday.  1 TD pass: 0 INTs.  The last time he started 15 games was in 2019 where he had 18 TD Passes: 6 INTs for the Colts.  That's a very respectable 3:1 ratio that could work well with this team.  For example, if you look at what the ball control offense did via the 1-2 punch of Chubb and Hunt - the Browns didn't need a "gotta risk it for biscuit" mentality from their passer.  It's only week 1 but I think I'd rather have Jacoby's challenges than the ones I saw haunting Baker yesterday.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Orion said:

They can object all they want, but the defender hit Brissett in the head with his helmet and his arm.  

True, but the gift was the refs not calling the fake spike.

As a Browns fan I’ll take it though, God knows how many bad calls went against us late in a close game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrownsKidd said:

I can't be the only thinking that Dobbs is the better choice of Brisket.... right? Jesus Christ, Brisket couldn't out run the Panther's nose tackle.

he didnt turn the ball over and made some plays when needed the only reason carolina was in the game was because of crappy 2nd half play by are defense so really all you dumbfucks bitching about brissett calm the fuck down he is playing exactly how I thought he would

• Thanks 1

I think it's worth saying that, while we know Jacoby isn't a great starting option, he has to (and can) play better.  Both can be true.  A few times the coaches designed up some great throws he either didn't see, didn't take, or got to way late.  That's not including a few of the very poor decisions he made. 

The defense had a couple of ill-timed busts, and those are way more game breaking when it's a low scoring type of contest. 

At the end of the day, JB had a game winning drive and hit a couple big throws this team absolutely needed to win.     Cade may have iced it, but JB got him most of the way there to make it possible.   He came through when it mattered most, but being better before hand might have meant it wouldn't have been such a dog fight at the end.

Edit: and how about DPJ showing up big?!  Kid needs more credit.  His development, and hopefully continued production, is very exciting to see.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I think it's worth saying that, while we know Jacoby isn't a great starting option, he has to (and can) play better.  Both can be true.  A few times the coaches designed up some great throws he either didn't see, didn't take, or got to way late.  That's not including a few of the very poor decisions he made. 

The defense had a couple of ill-timed busts, and those are way more game breaking when it's a low scoring type of contest. 

At the end of the day, JB had a game winning drive and hit a couple big throws this team absolutely needed to win.     Cade may have iced it, but JB got him most of the way there to make it possible.   He came through when it mattered most, but being better before hand might have meant it wouldn't have been such a dog fight at the end.

Edit: and how about DPJ showing up big?!  Kid needs more credit.  His development, and hopefully continued production, is very exciting to see.

I wouldn’t call 20 yards of passing much of a game winning drive.

After all, a 58 yard field goal wasn’t much of a gift to York but he nailed it.

But I will agree to the development of DPJ is coming along very well.

DE0A6B9C-5CBC-4941-BC04-E3DE89DFA4E5.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wouldn’t call 20 yards of passing much of a game winning drive.

After all, a 58 yard field goal wasn’t much of a gift to York but he nailed it.

But I will agree to the development of DPJ is coming along very well.

DE0A6B9C-5CBC-4941-BC04-E3DE89DFA4E5.jpeg

Well... I didn't say it was a long drive. 

More like a trip around the block.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

True, but the gift was the refs not calling the fake spike.

Even if he calls it then it moves the ball back 1 yard with a 10 second run off (13 seconds left originally). Still could have ran the field goal unit on and as soon as they set the ball down ready for play snap it and cade is still making that from 59

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

As a Cleveland Browns fan I apologize for NOTHING!  Keep in mind, if that was Bernie Kosar or someone else you approved of - you would have been saying that was a great call that needed to be made. This game was won in the trenches not by the guys blowing whistles. Go look at what team ran the ball and what team could not. McCaffrey finished with 33 yards rushing. Any questions? Putting together only 5 or 6 minutes of acceptable offense in a 60 minute contest doesn't have anyone thinking the Panthers deserved to win.  The Browns also had a sack nullified on a very questionable roughing the passer call earlier in the game.  People can see what they want to on the play you are complaining about.  That said, a defensive player cannot hit a QB in the helmet even if it is only by accident in trying to block a pass when he is in the intimate space of the passer. But if this makes any hurt feelings less hurtful - that 58 FG was high enough up on the net 10 yards behind the goal post to assure all viewers the FG would have been good from about 78 yards away.

Next, how many quarters did it take for Baker to get the ball up over/past our defensive line with any consistency?  If you saw the game Cal; and I'm not sure you did judging by you thinking the better team lost - this was blatant.  They're gonna be the spending the rest of the year in PRO FOOTBALL - game planning for this reality "SO, HOW DO WE THROW THE BALL OVER THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE THIS WEEK AGAINST ANOTHER EXTREMELY WELL PREPARED DEFENSE?"  If there's a kryptonite that stops a QB - it is now in every film room of the defenses he will face the rest of the year. They're going to be seeing how McCaffrey only had 4 catches for 24 yards (most of them on 1 play) while DJ Moore was held to just 3 receptions on 6 targets for 43 yards. I doubt any of them are going to think Carolina got screwed on the scoreboard.    

Our backup QB was an effective game manager yesterday.  1 TD pass: 0 INTs.  The last time he started 15 games was in 2019 where he had 18 TD Passes: 6 INTs for the Colts.  That's a very respectable 3:1 ratio that could work well with this team.  For example, if you look at what the ball control offense did via the 1-2 punch of Chubb and Hunt - the Browns didn't need a "gotta risk it for biscuit" mentality from their passer.  It's only week 1 but I think I'd rather have Jacoby's challenges than the ones I saw haunting Baker yesterday.  

Yes!!! On all three points.

Jacoby needs to make a handful of throws each game like he did here and play turnover free football.  Lean on Chubb and Hunt (run and pass) and get Njoku going in the short/intermediate area.  DPJ and Cooper have plenty of polish in their game too to help him out and they will benefit in the playaction game that I’m sure we will see more of when teams come up to the LOS.  The offense will work and put up points and control time of possession most of the time.  And guess what We dont need 60-70 yard drives with this new kicker.

I see some others doing the Mayfield/Jacoby comparison game…the front office wanted an adult to play the role of QB for the next three months.  So with a lot of areas being equal between these two you take the adult over the guy that wants off the leash on and off the field.

3 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Even if he calls it then it moves the ball back 1 yard with a 10 second run off (13 seconds left originally). Still could have ran the field goal unit on and as soon as they set the ball down ready for play snap it and cade is still making that from 59

The penalty is a 10 second runoff AND a 10 yard loss.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

It sure is exciting!  I'm glad you're reminding everyone of this. That young man came up BIG in some tight windows where there was going to be contact.  GREAT concentration and focus on his part.  Even Schwartz caught a forward pass yesterday.

I know people are in a huge hurry to see Jacoby benched because Josh Dobbs looked good in the preseason.  That said, Eric Zeier also looked good in the preseason once upon a time.  The problem was when he got his 1st chance in the regular season - he didn't look anything like the preseason false positives that had people certain he was the answer.  Try to think of why Dobbs was available in the first place.  Could it be the former Pittsburgh Steelers scout team QB played played Santa Claus a little too much to their DBs in practice to keep him in their plans moving forward?  Just wondering, because if they saw anything keeper about him - they wouldn't have let him go considering their short term future.  In the SEC, he looked like a spark because of his legs; but once the better teams in that conference got a lead on UT - his passing never pulled out any comebacks or major upsets that I can remember.  Then again, I can't even remember why I come into the kitchen half the time so there is that....

I'm not saying Jacoby was passing game eye candy to us yesterday - but the game experience he brings kept us free from turnovers that kept that game winnable at the end.  He already has some chemistry with DPJ.  I'm thinking more chemistries will develop.  Can we at least give him a couple games to establish some additional chemistry before we're right back to making the 1st QB in the depth chart our biggest enemy?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Three things:

-The amount of auto corrects to "Brisket" for our QB1 between here, Reddit, and Facebook is quite amusing.

-Mayfield sucked nuts in the first half but put the Panthers in a position to win, barring two really questionable foul calls on our last drive. I'm not a Mayfield homer, never have been. But to say "it was only because of X, Y, Z" could be said any game and essentially any QB save 3-4 in the league. Jacoby missed wide open dudes on bad defensive calls. I don't want the guy back, but to simply shake off what he did in the 2nd half to "luck" is short-sighted at best.

-I literally can't enough of Chubb running the football. Gameplan aside, what an absolute pleasure it is to see that dude play the game of football. In my 33 years of life I can easily say I've never watched a dude play as well as he does. The amount of times a 2-3 yard turns into a 5-6 yard play because of his talent is incredible.

Except I'm thinking (and pretty sure on this Board at least) there's no auto correct for Brisket.  Could be your spell check in action and you didn't catch it. 

And in honor of our new QB, I actually went out of my way to whip up a "Jacoby's brisket"... :)

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I'm not saying Jacoby was passing game eye candy to us yesterday - but the game experience he brings kept us free from turnovers that kept that game winnable at the end.  He already has some chemistry with DPJ.  I'm thinking more chemistries will develop.  Can we at least give him a couple games to establish some additional chemistry before we're right back to making the 1st QB in the depth chart our biggest enemy.

Agreed on the Peoples. Also duly noted, Amari Cooper was busting his butt making a couple great downfield blocks. 

Also agree with Tia, Brissett HAS to play better. Other than receivers dropsies, I thought in general Jacoby's play was pretty stinko. I'll take a win anyway we can get one though. & the schedule is front loaded with winnable games, so we had better win them, if we're thinking playoffs.  

• Upvote 2