THE BROWNS BOARD

🟫⬜️🟧🟧⬜️🟫Official Gameday Thread Browns at Panthers 🟫⬜️🟧🟧⬜️🟫

Zombo

4 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

I can't be the only thinking that Dobbs is the better choice of Brisket.... right? Jesus Christ, Brisket couldn't out run the Panther's nose tackle.

Lol....a Browns fan tradition unlike any other...already pining for the backup QB.

C'mon folks, Brissett won the job, and CAN play better. Let's see how the next few games pan out.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

As a Cleveland Browns fan I apologize for NOTHING!  Keep in mind, if that was Bernie Kosar or someone else you approved of - you would have been saying that was a great call that needed to be made. This game was won in the trenches not by the guys blowing whistles. Go look at what team ran the ball and what team could not. McCaffrey finished with 33 yards rushing. Any questions? Putting together only 5 or 6 minutes of acceptable offense in a 60 minute contest doesn't have anyone thinking the Panthers deserved to win.  The Browns also had a sack nullified on a very questionable roughing the passer call earlier in the game.  People can see what they want to on the play you are complaining about.  That said, a defensive player cannot hit a QB in the helmet even if it is only by accident in trying to block a pass when he is in the intimate space of the passer. But if this makes any hurt feelings less hurtful - that 58 FG was high enough up on the net 10 yards behind the goal post to assure all viewers the FG would have been good from about 78 yards away.

Next, how many quarters did it take for Baker to get the ball up over/past our defensive line with any consistency?  If you saw the game Cal; and I'm not sure you did judging by you thinking the better team lost - this was blatant.  They're gonna be the spending the rest of the year in PRO FOOTBALL - game planning for this reality "SO, HOW DO WE THROW THE BALL OVER THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE THIS WEEK AGAINST ANOTHER EXTREMELY WELL PREPARED DEFENSE?"  If there's a kryptonite that stops a QB - it is now in every film room of the defenses he will face the rest of the year. They're going to be seeing how McCaffrey only had 4 catches for 24 yards (most of them on 1 play) while DJ Moore was held to just 3 receptions on 6 targets for 43 yards. I doubt any of them are going to think Carolina got screwed on the scoreboard.    

Our backup QB was an effective game manager yesterday.  1 TD pass: 0 INTs.  The last time he started 15 games was in 2019 where he had 18 TD Passes: 6 INTs for the Colts.  That's a very respectable 3:1 ratio that could work well with this team.  For example, if you look at what the ball control offense did via the 1-2 punch of Chubb and Hunt - the Browns didn't need a "gotta risk it for biscuit" mentality from their passer.  It's only week 1 but I think I'd rather have Jacoby's challenges than the ones I saw haunting Baker yesterday.  

Great analysis, while watching that game I didn't miss Baker one bit. The same management that drafted the kicker thought Brisset would be a better back up to Watson, guys are over thinking things here. Yes Brisset did miss some easy throws but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the first game as our run game is our forte anyway. Haven't opposing defenses been stacking the box the last two years anyway, did anyone really respect Baker's arm to throw accurately? I trust our O line to shove guys out of the way and create running lanes by force of will.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, syd said:

well im outta here headed to sunriver oregon for the week 

so try not to burn the place down

Will do !   Enjoy yourself......  ;)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Vambo said:

image.thumb.png.2c242d5892027c893c06013d14cc7e68.png

Check out those pads, the guns on him and a freakin' wristbands....now there's a god damm  kicker !

23 hours ago, nickers said:

Briquet sucks... You can't depend on him to win games

Gee nickers what were your clues ?   :lol:.  

I'd hate to be down by 5 with 01:30 left and need him to drive 80 yards.   

I wonder what it will take to try Dobbs in at least in some of the Jets game ?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Great analysis, while watching that game I didn't miss Baker one bit. The same management that drafted the kicker thought Brisset would be a better back up to Watson, guys are over thinking things here. Yes Brisset did miss some easy throws but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the first game as our run game is our forte anyway. Haven't opposing defenses been stacking the box the last two years anyway, did anyone really respect Baker's arm to throw accurately? I trust our O line to shove guys out of the way and create running lanes by force of will.

I appreciate your feedback and totally agree with your line of thinking/points made.  I think we can all agree that Joe Burrow is a better QB than either choice we have right now. Well, Pittsburgh just picked him off 4 times and 1 of those was a pick 6 by Fitzpatrick.  Let's not race Dobbs into something even worse against Pitt in a week and a half. We just saw what an advantage it was to our DC/Defense to hold a QB's limitations/vulnerabilities against him that they saw every day in practice the last 2 years.  Do we really want to hurry him into that already?

Dobbs has been in the NFL since 2017. During his last regular season game reps in 2020 for Pitt - he completed 4 of 5 passes for 2 yards, 0.4 yds avg, 0 TD, 0 INT.  If we include Dobbs' Jax stats for his NFL career regular season total, we're looking at 10 of 17, 58.8 cmp%, 45 yards, 4.5 yd avg, 0 TD, 1 INT,  39.1 passer rating, longest completion of pro career = 22 yards.  Does that add up to anything more than deer in headlights?

I'm not saying I'm opposed to giving him a look if Jacoby doesn't start looking more comfortable over the next 2 games (that are only 11 days apart).  In that case, they could start that by giving him a series or 2 and gradually increasing the workload (giving opponents 2 different guys to prepare for.  He's got some good wheels that can help open up our passing game.  That said, when I lived in TN and had season tix to Vandy Games - I also watched/recorded a lot of UT games when their matchups intrigued me. I saw Dobbs play a lot in the SEC; and  I've seen his legs give his team a spark.  However, I've also see him with a bad habit of not looking for receivers wide open downfield once he broke contain outside the pocket.  When that goes on film, the next opponent will have a coach watching what he does the very first time they flush him from the pocket in terms of if he's looking for receivers or just where to run only. Once he showed them he couldn't shake the bad habit, they shut him down running the ball and dared him to beat them with his arm.  That remained a work in progress; and now he's on his 3rd NFL team with pretty much the same story.  I do think his accuracy and arm strength is much improved - it's still the vision I worry about when there's pressure.

Good news?  He's a great kid that had a 4.0 GPA in Aerospace Engineering.  I like him and think he can help us if we don't race him into things before he's ready.  In the meantime, let's get behind the guy that wants to help the Browns win and grow together as a team for at least his 2nd start.  

7 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

True, but the gift was the refs not calling the fake spike.

Ya know, I didn't catch that when it happened.  But I heard it this morning on The Fan.  And supposedly Schwartz took off running a route.  So, I'd be interested to know what the offense was actually trying to do on that play.

In my mind, doing anything but spiking the ball would've been dumb.

I'm going to add here....that this was the type of game that the Browns lose 100% of the time!

Just a few short years ago we were 1-31.  We were inventing ways to lose.  But then we finally made a few good hires.  Starting with Dorsey who brought in players via trade (because weren't any gonna come via FA).  Then improved upon with Berry and Stefanski...who together brought in players to match their vision (which is to be fast).   

You need good players, but without a good HC & GM team, you won't be bringing in the best players and you won't be coaching the players and managing the games well enough.  We've gone through a history of poor game management.  Now, we're not going to like every play-call or game decision...but we're seeing a brand of modern intelligence from the sidelines that we haven't had.  When we line up at the LOS on 4th and 3 from our own side of the field, the opponent knows that we're freakin' liable to run the play...witch makes drawing them offsides a possibility.  Our old coaches never even tried to draw the D offsides.   (personally, I think we go for it on 4th down a little too aggressively now...but...it's the analytical way)

And Berry & Stef have identified our needs and brought in their type of player (fleet afoot usually) to improve the team.  We had a GM who stated that he didn't like drafting WR's because they don't handle the ball enough.  I'm surprised we didn't wind up with a roster full of Centers.  You've gotta have the right suits & ties too. (picture Tom Landry)

So, with all that said, this season does have the potential to go into the shitter because so much does rely on the QB in the NFL...especially now in the AFC with the barrage of QB talent out there...and we're playing without our starter for most of the season.  AND this brain-trust that I'm praising has put their reputation on the line with the whole Watson thing...but again, that's trying to improve the team and bring in the type of player they believe the NFL football field of today needs to legitimately vie for a Championship year in and year out.  Albeit, holding their nose and taking a political beating.  School is out on that one probably until the end of the '23 season the earliest. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

We'll be on TBB discord tonight, working on unpacking the All-22 from the Carolina game.  

Feel free for anybody who wants to join. 

https://discord.gg/RRW4pgpK

The game re-aired on the NFL channel last night.  That's great because when I first watched it via stream - it  cut out on both of Hunt's TDs and some other key plays.

One of the things I really enjoyed seeing in the game plan was Dunn playing some TE next to Hudson on the right side.  I thought it worked out really well even though it cut into some of Njoku's reps.  Someone already said this but it's worth an echo - Hudson played a very good game for us at RT.  That's a tribute to the quality coaching our offensive line gets.

It's really important to remember this was a very short pre-season considering all the things that were going on at the QB position especially the uncertainty of suspension length for Watson.  Given that, the Browns still came out and won the game on both sides of the ball.  People in our fanbase have been hearing the passing game could have looked prettier since they were eating baby food especially if they're new millennials. We're trained to bitch about it so welcome to our culture Jacoby!  I didn't think he looked as bad as people keep saying especially during the re-air yesterday. Having said that, maybe it's because I already knew the Browns won. Right now, he's our younger version of Don Strock who also had Mike Pagel looking over his shoulder (which is Josh Dobbs' role today).  Competition was as healthy for us back then as it is today.  It's also important for us as a fanbase to give the current guy more than  1 week given all that went on at the QB position this training camp and pre-season.  We didn't learn how long the NFL was suspending Watson for until after the 1st pre-season game so I think we'll start to see some improvements the more these guys get to know each other.  Cooper, Bell and Jacoby are still newbies here. 

EDIT: Not much to complain about defensively.  If there is Tia covered it well in his thread. I ALWAYS love players that hustle.  Unfortunately, I caught a really bad habit developed, rinsed and repeated from Jacob Phillips #50.  He did the see ball, get ball hustle part like we need; but when it was time to be in position to make the tackle - he had already put his head down and whiffed on 2 different occasions.  You can't tackle what you can't see.  

The biggest thing you'll notice when this defense messes up is how important it is to play this game with your eyes and the necessity to communicate and work together for 60 minutes.  60 minutes of football usually lasts about 3 hours so this is gonna get challenged folks.  

Edited by Flugel
Added point about Defense.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

The game re-aired on the NFL channel last night.  That's great because when I first watched it via stream - it  cut out on both of Hunt's TDs and some other key plays.

One of the things I really enjoyed seeing in the game plan was Dunn playing some TE next to Hudson on the right side.  I thought it worked out really well even though it cut into some of Njoku's reps.  Someone already said this but it's worth an echo - Hudson played a very good game for us at RT.  That's a tribute to the quality coaching our offensive line gets.

It's really important to remember this was a very short pre-season considering all the things that were going on at the QB position especially the uncertainty of suspension length for Watson.  Given that, the Browns still came out and won the game on both sides of the ball.  People in our fanbase have been hearing the passing game could have looked prettier since they were eating baby food especially if they're new millennials. We're trained to bitch about it so welcome to our culture Jacoby!  I didn't think he looked as bad as people keep saying especially during the re-air yesterday. Having said that, maybe it's because I already knew the Browns won. Right now, he's our younger version of Don Strock who also had Mike Pagel looking over his shoulder (which is Josh Dobbs' role today).  Competition was as healthy for us back then as it is today.  It's also important for us as a fanbase to give the current guy more than  1 week given all that went on at the QB position this training camp and pre-season.  We didn't learn how long the NFL was suspending Watson for until after the 1st pre-season game so I think we'll start to see some improvements the more these guys get to know each other.  Cooper, Bell and Jacoby are still newbies here. 

Re: the Oline - Bill Callahan is the man, and it's that simple. Not to be overlooked, coach Stump is one of the very best in the business as well. Combine the two and your running game just hums.

Seriously, have you see Stumps beard?  It's majestic.  The man looks like the black Gandalf... Blandalf.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Re: the Oline - Bill Callahan is the man, and it's that simple. Not to be overlooked, coach Stump is one of the very best in the business as well. Combine the two and your running game just hums.

Seriously, have you see Stumps beard?  It's majestic.  The man looks like the black Gandalf... Blandalf.

Well said!  I just added an edit while you were sending this.  Had to throw you a defensive biscuit.

43 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Well said!  I just added an edit while you were sending this.  Had to throw you a defensive biscuit.

And I appreciate that. While I specifically wasn't looking for him, there was an RPO look that I wasn't overly fond of Phillips leverage on.  Not entirely his fault, as he's in a conflict of assignment. But I have this strange feeling that once I put him under the lights, I won't like what I find.

50 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

That's a textbook tackle.  Eyes up, head to the side, shoulder in the torso taking the bulk of contact. 

The fact it was called roughing only shows how spotty NFL officiating has become.

Excellent form but he failed the landing which leads to the question why does the NFL think it’s possible that a 300 pound plus guy can slide off a QB and stick a landing at least partially off the QB when the QB is a moving target?

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

I appreciate your feedback and totally agree with your line of thinking/points made.  I think we can all agree that Joe Burrow is a better QB than either choice we have right now. Well, Pittsburgh just picked him off 4 times and 1 of those was a pick 6 by Fitzpatrick.  Let's not race Dobbs into something even worse against Pitt in a week and a half. We just saw what an advantage it was to our DC/Defense to hold a QB's limitations/vulnerabilities against him that they saw every day in practice the last 2 years.  Do we really want to hurry him into that already?

Dobbs has been in the NFL since 2017. During his last regular season game reps in 2020 for Pitt - he completed 4 of 5 passes for 2 yards, 0.4 yds avg, 0 TD, 0 INT.  If we include Dobbs' Jax stats for his NFL career regular season total, we're looking at 10 of 17, 58.8 cmp%, 45 yards, 4.5 yd avg, 0 TD, 1 INT,  39.1 passer rating, longest completion of pro career = 22 yards.  Does that add up to anything more than deer in headlights?

I'm not saying I'm opposed to giving him a look if Jacoby doesn't start looking more comfortable over the next 2 games (that are only 11 days apart).  In that case, they could start that by giving him a series or 2 and gradually increasing the workload (giving opponents 2 different guys to prepare for.  He's got some good wheels that can help open up our passing game.  That said, when I lived in TN and had season tix to Vandy Games - I also watched/recorded a lot of UT games when their matchups intrigued me. I saw Dobbs play a lot in the SEC; and  I've seen his legs give his team a spark.  However, I've also see him with a bad habit of not looking for receivers wide open downfield once he broke contain outside the pocket.  When that goes on film, the next opponent will have a coach watching what he does the very first time they flush him from the pocket in terms of if he's looking for receivers or just where to run only. Once he showed them he couldn't shake the bad habit, they shut him down running the ball and dared him to beat them with his arm.  That remained a work in progress; and now he's on his 3rd NFL team with pretty much the same story.  I do think his accuracy and arm strength is much improved - it's still the vision I worry about when there's pressure.

Good news?  He's a great kid that had a 4.0 GPA in Aerospace Engineering.  I like him and think he can help us if we don't race him into things before he's ready.  In the meantime, let's get behind the guy that wants to help the Browns win and grow together as a team for at least his 2nd start.  

Agree give Jacoby at least a few games, how hot did all pro Russell Wilson look yesterday on his new team?

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Excellent form but he failed the landing which leads to the question why does the NFL think it’s possible that a 300 pound plus guy can slide off a QB and stick a landing at least partially off the QB when the QB is a moving target?

If most of Bryan's lower body was off Baker while landing (it was) then I really can't call it a failure.

It's simply another tool given to offenses by the NFL to take advantage of a cheap fresh downs. 

More downs you give an offense, higher chance you see points. NFL mindset means points = excitement.  Excitement = fun.   Fun = eyes $$$

You shouldn't be out here Turkey Jones'ing MF, but it's a rule that is far too subjective and gives the zebras influence in expected point percentage.     I'd be cool if it was called correctly, which should be in egregious situations only.   But as it stands now, it's too much power to give officials and expect them to use it appropriately. 

For all the bitching from the Panthers organization, they have a lot of nerve not realizing the Browns were victim of an even shittier call that would have resulted in getting the ball punted back to us on the Panthers side of the field. 

• Upvote 1

I am not a Baker hater. In fact, I really grew to like him. But IMHO and given his track record in Cleveland, I don’t believe he would have led us down the field to put us in FG range. 

I’ve been a Browns fan since I was 12 years. Been through a lot with this team. 

I’m bothered by the ambivalence I’ve been feeling all off season. The Mayfield drama. The Watson drama. It’s been draining. 

For me personally, had we had lost on Sunday it would have been one of the Browns darkest moments. Factory of Sadness laughingstocks to historic proportions. The pundits would have had a field day at our expense. 

Instead.  I’d like to see this as the dawn of a new era. Cade York, whether it’s this season, next season, or the season after, this is the start. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alporcini said:

I am not a Baker hater. In fact, I really grew to like him. But IMHO and given his track record in Cleveland, I don’t believe he would have led us down the field to put us in FG range. 

I’ve been a Browns fan since I was 12 years. Been through a lot with this team. 

I’m bothered by the ambivalence I’ve been feeling all off season. The Mayfield drama. The Watson drama. It’s been draining. 

For me personally, had we had lost on Sunday it would have been one of the Browns darkest moments. Factory of Sadness laughingstocks to historic proportions. The pundits would have had a field day at our expense. 

Instead.  I’d like to see this as the dawn of a new era. Cade York, whether it’s this season, next season, or the season after, this is the start. 

Let's hope Mr.PeePee can keep his shit together...

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If most of Bryan's lower body was off Baker while landing (it was) then I really can't call it a failure.

It's simply another tool given to offenses by the NFL to take advantage of a cheap fresh downs. 

More downs you give an offense, higher chance you see points. NFL mindset means points = excitement.  Excitement = fun.   Fun = eyes $$$

You shouldn't be out here Turkey Jones'ing MF, but it's a rule that is far too subjective and gives the zebras influence in expected point percentage.     I'd be cool if it was called correctly, which should be in egregious situations only.   But as it stands now, it's too much power to give officials and expect them to use it appropriately. 

For all the bitching from the Panthers organization, they have a lot of nerve not realizing the Browns were victim of an even shittier call that would have resulted in getting the ball punted back to us on the Panthers side of the field. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.  But The NFL can and will easily justify the call given the way the rule is drafted and interpreted and its difficult to even comply with the letter of the law. 

Here’s the rule (relevant part):

“Instead, the defensive player must strive to fall to the side of the quarterback’s body, or to brace his fall with his arms to avoid landing on the quarterback with all or most of his body weight.”

1.  If you make a correct form tackle its extremely difficult to fall to the side of the QBs body.

2. If you are wrapping your arms to tackle in a correct form tackle.  The act of unwrapping your arms to brace your fall off the QB is dangerous for the defender (hyper extension of arms) and requires movement that takes time and is darn near impossible giving the time impact is made with the QB and then impact with the ground is made.  As you probably know from your wrestling background when you are going to the mat/ground you don’t post an arm out and try to break a fall.

The rule is further complicated by the fact that you can have most or all your body weight on a QB if your chest/shoulder and hips are on the QB which makes this rule ridiculous even further.  Turning your chest and hips off the QB as your falling to the ground to avoid the all or most weight part of the rule…again how does that happen 

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, tiamat63 said:

via a Panthers youtube video...

Fcq2hG7WIAA84rS.jpg.28417968e4c8b992afc67487af7a33c9.jpg

Call this one as over with....

edit--#95 mic'd

image.png.3b64b739f474ccbed65391c5a1a5bef5.png

Fines from #Browns #Panthers: #Browns
DT Taven Bryan was fined $15,914 💩 for a hit on a quarterback and John Johnson III was fined $21,218 for unnecessary roughness.

#Panthers Brian Burns was fined $15,914 for a hit on a quarterback.

Fcq2hG7WIAA84rS.jpg.28417968e4c8b992afc67487af7a33c9.jpg

• Jets at Browns/Head Referee  — Tra Blake
  •  
  • There is also a new referee this season, Tra Blake, who becomes the 8th new referee in the past 5 years. He is replacing 27-year veteran referee Tony Corrente, who retired at the conclusion of the 2021 season. Blake has 3 of the 5 returning officials from Corrente’s crew last season.
  •       Yrs 2021 crew College Occupation
    R 3 Tra Blake 3 Cheffers Central Florida software quality assurance manager
    U 115 Tony Michalek 21 Vinovich Indiana chief executive officer
    DJ 13 Patrick Turner 9 Corrente* Cal State-Long Beach plant manager
    LJ 75 Mark Stewart 5 Hill Pittsburgh State rancher
    FJ 97 Tom Hill 24 Hochuli Carson Newman retired teacher/coach
    SJ 58 Don Willard 5 Corrente* Illinois State physical therapist
    BJ 30 Todd Prukop 14 Corrente* Cal State-Fullerton medical sales representative
    RO   Andrew Lambert 5 Cheffers Central Virginia Community College business development
    RA   Kirt Shay 4 Cheffers Xavier teacher