THE BROWNS BOARD

Jacoby Brissett

MDDawg

1 hour ago, MDDawg said:

After two good games and demonstrating a maturity we haven't seen here in a while, he deserves his own thread for discussion till DeSean takes the reins.

I like what I'm seeing from him only 3 weeks into the season on his new team with guys he's just starting to get familiar with.  Some teams don't have starting QBs playing as efficient.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He elevated him game last night. Not a world beater by any stretch, but getting it done and showing some leadership. And how about 30 for 31 in short yardage situations. With him, Chubb, and Hunt in the backfield for 3rd or 4th and short, how do you stop them? Going to be hard to go to Watson if he keeps winning games. Watson better be leaps and bounds better than Brissett to justify that contract.

15 minutes ago, syd said:

3rd and 1 play action pass to cooper for 30 yards was awesome  baker would have over thrown himm

Turned out to be a   "refreshing "   American  professional tackle football game.....right up to the on side kick that hit off of a  BROWNS of Cleveland  player and went out of bounds......and later chasing the quarterback of Pittsburgh team about with almost NO time left on time clock device and ending up in the end zone of the opposite football team and becoming a touch down for the BROWNS of Cleveland. 

It was quite a refreshing display of football skills I'll tell you or as some fan of Cleveland said......

GO BROWNS,  just win.....baby !          :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pats fan cooming in peace.  Been watching this kid for awhile as he's moved from team to team, here's my perspective

Tall, strong, durable, often brought in to do QB sneaks when playing behind another starter.  Excellent at rushes  in short yardage situations.  Does not shy away from physical contact in order to make plays.  Plays through injuries if allowed to do so.

Mostly a pocket passer.  Arm is solid with good velocity and accuracy has significantly improved in recent years. Sometimes takes something off the throw in the name of accuracy.  Occasionally throws too hard ,as he did on the throw to Cooper that bounced off his hands.   Excellent on timing plays.  Thrives in play action sets which he should get a lot of in this offense.  A bit slow on his reads in the 7 step drop.  Smart thrower, has a knack for putting the ball where only his guy can go get it and hitting targets in a way that releases them for YAC.  Very tough QB to pick off, does not telegraph his intentions and rarely makes bad decisions on where and when to throw.  Is more willing to eat a sack than give up a pick.

Adequate rusher but not his main game.  Has the strength and agility to feature the occasional rush, but has fumble issues if asked to call his own number too often.  Also steps up in the pocket well, scrambles well, reads the rush well and generally good at putting himself in a position to extend the play.  Release is a bit slow and sometimes overthinks, has developed these tactics to counter this weakness.

Leadership qualities through the roof as demonstrated in 2019 when he took a Colts franchise in shambles due to the unexpected retirement of Andrew Luck, and expected to finish around 4-12, and exceeded expectations with them, even having them in playoff contention before massive injury problems in the WR room and the extreme unreliability of Adam Vinatieri's last campaign scuppered those hopes. stabilizing force in the locker room, no ego to speak of, tends to be happy to share credit around when things go well and take the blame when they don't.  This leads to a false impression that 2019's bitter ending was his fault because he would never let anyone else take the fall for it.

Summary:  If you're looking for an elite quarterback, look elsewhere.  If you want a stabilizing force in the locker room, a conservative leader on the field who will let others play to their strengths while he manages the clock and a guy who is likeable and reputable as the face of a team, you could do a lot worse than Jacoby Brissett.

Now you've done it! ;)

I'm willing to bet 💰 I'm the only browns fan, that could still mow his grass in a worn red #12 NC State t-shirt with Brissett fading on the back 🤓..

JB QB'd Browns former draft pick RB Matthew Dayes and others at NC State....Justin Burris/Germain Pratt/Bradley Chubb/Joe Thuney/BJ Hill & Nyheim Hines/ to bowl games in 2014 & 2015.. I've met & shook JB's huge hands at 2 NC State basketball games..If ya saw his post-game Player of the game interview on amazon prime? He's a full class sportsman! 

JB was drafted to a perfect place with Brady & Jimmy G at NE.. He'll credit Brady for his QB sneak ability.. JB was inactive vs Atlanta in SB, but he owns a SB ring to bling 👑

JB moved on to the Colts..  Lucky man/few weeks to prepare.. JB was the QB to replace a stud QB in Andrew Luck, to increase his QB football background.. Than came along another NC State'er named Phillip Rivers to put JB back to a QB backup status..

JB gets another chance knowing HC Brian Flores from his Patriots days at Miami..Once again, another QB week 2 injury to Tua, made JB a starter again..

I'm not sorry.. JB brings no gifted athletic skills such as a Lamar to his QB position..

but, I can still remember a JB quote from a NC State presser?  "carry your own damn lunch pail & come in here to work".. 🎒

If ya can't root for a starting NFL QB like Jacoby Brissett?    I'm not your Jacoby fan, that can help ya ! 

signed,

Go get some JB !  You have earned your way, to a great sports town like Cleveland

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Now you've done it! ;)

I'm willing to bet 💰 I'm the only browns fan, that could still mow his grass in a worn red #12 NC State t-shirt with Brissett fading on the back 🤓..

JB QB'd Browns former draft pick RB Matthew Dayes and others at NC State....Justin Burris/Germain Pratt/Bradley Chubb/Joe Thuney/BJ Hill & Nyheim Hines/ to bowl games in 2014 & 2015.. I've met & shook JB's huge hands at 2 NC State basketball games..If ya saw his post-game Player of the game interview on amazon prime? He's a full class sportsman! 

JB was drafted to a perfect place with Brady & Jimmy G at NE.. He'll credit Brady for his QB sneak ability.. JB was inactive vs Atlanta in SB, but he owns a SB ring to bling 👑

JB moved on to the Colts..  Lucky man/few weeks to prepare.. JB was the QB to replace a stud QB in Andrew Luck, to increase his QB football background.. Than came along another NC State'er named Phillip Rivers to put JB back to a QB backup status..

JB gets another chance knowing HC Brian Flores from his Patriots days at Miami..Once again, another QB week 2 injury to Tua, made JB a starter again..

I'm not sorry.. JB brings no gifted athletic skills such as a Lamar to his QB position..

but, I can still remember a JB quote from a NC State presser?  "carry your own damn lunch pail & come in here to work".. 🎒

If ya can't root for a starting NFL QB like Jacoby Brissett?    I'm not your Jacoby fan, that can help ya ! 

signed,

Go get some JB !  You have earned your way, to a great sports town like Cleveland

Great post. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, SdBacker80 said:

He’s been brilliant and his play has been unexpected. 
I counted 3/4 throws last night not overly difficult throws but certainly not easy that Baker would miss on half the time last year.  

LOL, Baker missed 1/2 the time, 12/25 against the Saints yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

Jacoby has been very efficient these last two games. My only criticism would be to make sure to spread the wealth around more to the other receivers Jacoby and the Browns have been very efficient on offense. Defense needs to step up.

Good teams have evolving offenses, eg establish Cooper as the No 1 receiver and Njoku as an established receiving threat. DC's will game plan around them and the running backs which will leave less experienced WRs (ahem Schwartz) wide open. Historically Jacoby hasn't had a problem distributing the ball, I believe he's following Stefanski's script now.

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Speaking of QBs…we’ve had great fortune this year.

coming up soon on the schedule ….

Herbert looks average with the rib cartilage injury.

Max Jones has a high ankle sprain. 

I noticed that too, hopefully our DC gameplans accordingly.

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Browns Room -- Apparently going empty set was a good part of Thursday's win. Paging @tiamat63 for his thoughts.. or at least another place to look at film study

Off the cuff - something I dropped in discord, and possibly here? 

The Steelers seemed content coming out in their "base" personnel quite a bit.  Back to back drives at one point, even though the Browns appeared intent on staying in our 11 personnel packages.   As a result, the Brownies seemed more than willing to oblige the PIT stubbornness by exploiting those matchups underneath and from the 2's and 3's who would draw coverage from the PIT safety's.  The TD throw to Coop is a fine example. 

• 1 month later...

PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT

J.Brissett 22     17    278   2/10    1   53  0  133.7

unseen stat is 1 fumble and 1 rushing TD.

Jacoby played as good a game as any QB we'd like to have at the position.  A beautiful pass to Cooper in the corner of the end zone.  A nice 53 yarder along with a beautiful catch by Cooper.  And a good decision and hard earned scramble for a TD.  His forceful QB sneaks.  (isn't it nice to have a QB that can QB sneak?)   I'm happy for him.  He came in here knowing that he's a lame duck QB and has done nothing but work hard and do the best he can.  And the job he's been doing is markedly better than we anticipated.  Having said that, he and we know that he's no Josh Allen.  He's not the QB you want out there if you're down 21 points in the 2nd half.  He needs the coaches to game plan properly, the offense to be able to run the ball and for the defense to be able to get itself off the field.  

He's had to wear the goat horns after a loss....so he certainly deserves a couple of weeks with his head held high.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Orion said:

PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT

J.Brissett 22     17    278   2/10    1   53  0  133.7

unseen stat is 1 fumble and 1 rushing TD.

Jacoby played as good a game as any QB we'd like to have at the position.  A beautiful pass to Cooper in the corner of the end zone.  A nice 53 yarder along with a beautiful catch by Cooper.  And a good decision and hard earned scramble for a TD.  His forceful QB sneaks.  (isn't it nice to have a QB that can QB sneak?)   I'm happy for him.  He came in here knowing that he's a lame duck QB and has done nothing but work hard and do the best he can.  And the job he's been doing is markedly better than we anticipated.  Having said that, he and we know that he's no Josh Allen.  He's not the QB you want out there if you're down 21 points in the 2nd half.  He needs the coaches to game plan properly, the offense to be able to run the ball and for the defense to be able to get itself off the field.  

He's had to wear the goat horns after a loss....so he certainly deserves a couple of weeks with his head held high.  

Like I said... He's a nice kid and a decent QB... However... He's not a guy I would want to build a team around for the long haul...

11 minutes ago, nickers said:

Like I said... He's a nice kid and a decent QB... However... He's not a guy I would want to build a team around for the long haul...

You wouldn't want to build a team around a QB specifically brought in to be the longterm backup QB?

You don't say.... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You wouldn't want to build a team around a QB specifically brought in to be the longterm backup QB?

You don't say.... 

On the other hand it's not a bad idea. Unfortunately the finances and the draft picks have made it impossible to build a team around anybody.

WSS

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

On the other hand it's not a bad idea. Unfortunately the finances and the draft picks have made it impossible to build a team around anybody.

WSS

next year we have

a 2nd

a 3rd

two 4th's

two 5th's

a 6th

and a 7th

plus any compensatory picks which are tradeable now

so quit being bitter about getting a franchise Q.B

• Upvote 1