THE BROWNS BOARD

Hope Our Fans in Florida Stay Safe During the Hurricane

Flugel

48 minutes ago, Flugel said:

We have some fans on this board that live in Florida so please try to keep yourselves and your families safe this week!  I'll be trying to do that as well...

Good luck to all of you down there Flug/Zombo/Jiggins!

I'm headed today to our coast beach house on Topsail Isle, NC.. Buckle it down & a few good friends, pull 7 boats to land..  Good Luck gents, in keeping your families safe..

Our NC reports say, to beware for a not so Happy Friday around my parts.. beer googles ready 🥸     

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Good luck to all of you down there Flug/Zombo/Jiggins!

I'm headed today to our coast beach house on Topsail Isle, NC.. A few good friends, pull 7 boats to land..  Good Luck gents, in keeping your families safe..

Our NC reports say, to beware for a not so Happy Friday around my parts.. beer googles ready 🥸     

Thanks Gumbs!  You keep yourself safe with all that as well!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

It's already getting nasty here in Palm Beach County, and we're not going to get any serious impacts. Prayers up to you folks in the Tampa area, it's going to get really bad there. Could easily be a historic, once in a generation flooding/surge.

Naples too.  This may be a very costly hurricane even for Florida standards.   Be as prepared as you can be.   And good luck everyone. 

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Naples too.  This may be a very costly hurricane even for Florida standards.   Be as prepared as you can be.   And good luck everyone. 

It's looking more likely it'll hit south of Tampa- definitely in an odd way better for the state but rough for those involved.

Everyone loses with these big hurricanes though-insurance is already a nightmare for homes and this is going to have a crazy impact.

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

We have some fans on this board that live in Florida so please try to keep yourselves and your families safe this week!  I'll be trying to do that as well...

Stay safe Tom, and that goes for Z too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Um, checking Google Maps- if anyone is still staying on Longboat Key or Sanibel Island- they're nuts. 

PS- financial outlay aside...  I'm scrapping my bucket list tour down to Atlanta to see the Browns play the Falcons this coming Sunday.  Driving into a tropical storm isn't my idea of a fun drive.  :(   

12 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

It's looking more likely it'll hit south of Tampa- definitely in an odd way better for the state but rough for those involved.

Everyone loses with these big hurricanes though-insurance is already a nightmare for homes and this is going to have a crazy impact.

I have relatives in the Tampa area, a lot of friends in the Ft Myers area.  We hope  they and everyone else here is as safe and secure as possible. 

And good luck,  we'll be checking in on you....and our thoughts and prayers going down that way too.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Correct you are...  Insurance companies aren't in business to lose money.  Hurricane Charley (2004) cost $10.6 billion in inflation adjusted dollars.  Ian could easily top that.  :(  

Longboat and Anna Maria have been evacuated. We're staying a few miles inland. Boarded up as well as possible and hoping for the best.

A pic I took out on Longboat a lil while back

No photo description available.

For those watching from home.

https://www.ventusky.com/

Insurance companies have been bailing out of Florida at breakneck speed. We were cancelled in Dec after 20+ yrs. Exhausted all replacement options.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I have relatives in the Tampa area, a lot of friends in the Ft Myers area.  We hope  they and everyone else here is as safe and secure as possible. 

And good luck,  we'll be checking in on you....and our thoughts and prayers going down that way too.  

Thanks-all good on the Southeast Coast. Had an absolutely brutal band with tornado warnings but fortunately no impacts close by. Send the positive vibes to our western FL friends and family for sure. Not to sound overly dramatic but this could be a life changing storm for certain parts of the state. Disney closed for two days-only the 10th and 11th time they've ever done that.

24 minutes ago, Axe said:

Insurance companies have been bailing out of Florida at breakneck speed. We were cancelled in Dec after 20+ yrs. Exhausted all replacement options.

And it's not stopping. People forget on top of these hurricanes that one high rise collapse really spooked insurance companies. I don't see any other solution that a state sponsored and backed insurance program for all Floridians (Citizens). Problem is, that will be definition of bare bones and buying additional coverage will be unaffordable for millions. Yet we're building new homes by the second...sigh. 

Stay safe ya'll.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:55 AM, jrb12711 said:

It's already getting nasty here in Palm Beach County, and we're not going to get any serious impacts. Prayers up to you folks in the Tampa area, it's going to get really bad there. Could easily be a historic, once in a generation flooding/surge.

Backatachya JRB!   Hope you and your family stay safe! 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Longboat and Anna Maria have been evacuated. We're staying a few miles inland. Boarded up as well as possible and hoping for the best.

Good to know you got inland.  Stay safe Axe!

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

I don't see any other solution that a state sponsored and backed insurance program for all Floridians (Citizens).

Citizens is the last gasp for coverage and they cancelled us as well after 2 weeks.

We're supposed to fly to Athens Saturday for 11 days. Can't see that happening now

2 hours ago, Axe said:

That's one neat app, thanks. I'm not surprised insurance companies are bailing out of any areas with significant hurricane threats. The major ones could be looking at billion dollar losses. Smaller companies would be wiped out. That ocean\ Gulf view is getting mighty pricey.

As tia suggested, go north old man, go north. Reason some "halfbacks" are flocking to North Carolina or Tennessee.  

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Actually, we're going to Tenn in Nov to look for a summer place. I don't want to be here next summer. Too damn hot.

I've never done summer in Florida Axe, but the wife has. Said you can jump in a swimming pool and not cool off.  

I was there in October for her cousin's wedding, and it felt like a miserable July day in Ohio. 

Gentlemen, THAT was one long intense day! Tree debris and water everywhere this morning but we still have power and aside from some apparent roof damage (Haven't seen it yet) we were extremely lucky. Still have power. I've been thru countless storms but this one was different..

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, hoorta said:

I hope Z is on high ground... Weather Channel just had shots of Naples with cars past their windows in water.  

PS waiting for one of those Weather Channel reporters to either get killed, or washed out to sea...  

I'm alive and well. No damage to my house, I have power. Seeing what I can do to help others.

Z

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I'm alive and well. No damage to my house, I have power. Seeing what I can do to help others.

Z

Glad you're OK Z...  But before the storm hit, I opined anyone who stayed on Sanibel Island was nuts.  Well, seems like Florida law says you can't be forced to evacuate, and a bunch of folks decided to stay. I swear, it's like the old joke of the guy who drowned waiting for God to provide when rescue operations were sending him boats and a helicopter. Except this time it wasn't a joke, it was real life... Those folks were warned multiple times to get the hell off of the Island, and ignored the warnings. Some are going to live to tell about their ordeal, but it's hard to feel sorry for them being that stupid. 

It's even being questioned if it's wise to rebuild on a barrier island.  Forget about storm insurance if you do...  Yeah, I noticed.. Fort Myers Beach looks like a Ukrainian war zone.  :(