THE BROWNS BOARD

Jacoby Brissett Blows

Zombo

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

He should be fired, like now.

I don't know if some of you guys are serious or not sometimes, you do realize if he is fired like now, the next guy will gut the roster and bring in his own guys. Back to square one we go back to NFL oblivion. We are still competitive now, basically handed the Jets the game on a silver platter, but we weren't out of it. Same as today with the Falcons , we were in the game, just need to learn to finish games. We're still leading the division.

It so frustrating seeing people melt down over a loss, did anyone honestly expect Jacoby Brissett to lead us to an undefeated season and a Super Bowl win? CONTEXT PEOPLE.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Neo said:

I don't know if some of you guys are serious or not sometimes, you do realize if he is fired like now, the next guy will gut the roster and bring in his own guys. Back to square one we go back to NFL oblivion. We are still competitive now, basically handed the Jets the game on a silver platter, but we weren't out of it. Same as today with the Falcons , we were in the game, just need to learn to finish games. We're still leading the division.

It so frustrating seeing people melt down over a loss, did anyone honestly expect Jacoby Brissett to lead us to an undefeated season and a Super Bowl win? CONTEXT PEOPLE.

No but I don't expect our Idiot HC to give away games , either!

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I don’t know what game some of you were watching but blaming Jacoby is just silly. He played very well as he has all along. This loss is all on poor play calls / situational football. That started with the first drive and the ridiculous red zone calls and got worse as time went on. We could have easily run the sneak (Brissett is 8/8) and has a new set of downs from like the one. Instead we pass and then decline to kick and field goal. How bout that reverse to Njoku?? I mean WTF. How about the last series when Chubb rode the pine despite averaging over 6 yards a carry? Kevin out smarts himself way too often. 

I hear you, but Brissett once again turned it over at the end of the game. We had almost 3 minutes to get a field goal. We just needed a FG. Every other team I watch every Sunday virtually ALWAYS gets into FG range. Every team we play sure as hell does. Heck, the Falcons did. Mariota didn't throw a pick at the end. The third string qb for the Patriots made magic happen. Yes, third string. The Jets had a last second touchdown drive to beat the Steelers. Everyone does it, but not us. We don't STOP drives at the end, and we don't SCORE at drives at the end. We got a miracle 60 yard FG or else we're 1-3.

Brissett missed every screen pass, one maybe not his fault, but others certainly were. Those screens could've been 70+ yards. He literally threw the ball away on 4th and goal. On the interception, he had DJ wide ass open in the middle of the field. It would have gotten 10-15 yards and a CHANCE at a 58 yard FG to tie. Instead he threw a pick in the EXACT manner he did against the Jets. 

To be totally FAIR, Brissett is a backup and for a backup, he's doing pretty well. But NFL QBs make their money at the end of games and we're seeing why he's not a starter. 

It's the same story with this damn team. We figure out ways to lose instead of figuring out how to win and I'm sick of it. I hope I didn't come across too immature, but I'm pissed. It's the same story over and over again. I'm ready for it to change. 

Much love, brothas. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I hear you, but Brissett once again turned it over at the end of the game. We had almost 3 minutes to get a field goal. We just needed a FG. Every other team I watch every Sunday virtually ALWAYS gets into FG range. Every team we play sure as hell does. Heck, the Falcons did. Mariota didn't throw a pick at the end. The third string qb for the Patriots made magic happen. Yes, third string. The Jets had a last second touchdown drive to beat the Steelers. Everyone does it, but not us. We don't STOP drives at the end, and we don't SCORE at drives at the end. We got a miracle 60 yard FG or else we're 1-3.

Brissett missed every screen pass, one maybe not his fault, but others certainly were. Those screens could've been 70+ yards. He literally threw the ball away on 4th and goal. On the interception, he had DJ wide ass open in the middle of the field. It would have gotten 10-15 yards and a CHANCE at a 58 yard FG to tie. Instead he threw a pick in the EXACT manner he did against the Jets. 

To be totally FAIR, Brissett is a backup and for a backup, he's doing pretty well. But NFL QBs make their money at the end of games and we're seeing why he's not a starter. 

It's the same story with this damn team. We figure out ways to lose instead of figuring out how to win and I'm sick of it. I hope I didn't come across too immature, but I'm pissed. It's the same story over and over again. I'm ready for it to change. 

Much love, brothas. 

I'm ready foy Kevvy and Joey to pack their bags and get out of town... STAT!! I've seen enough of this shit show...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Neo said:

While your point about a new coach is undeniable, what happens if we do not make changes in the coaching staff?

We have lost against friggin' Flacco and the damn Jets, and now the Falcons ran all over us. Teams with a decent QB are going to pick us apart. Teams with a decent run will go for 200+ if not 300. And coach 'Fancy' will be sure to call plays that kill drives, or prevent certain scores. By the time DW can play, we will have a losing record. Even if he starts firing on all cylinders immediately (doubtful), we'd be lucky to get back to even. And you can forget about the playoffs.

That makes it a lost season anyway, with our best players in their prime. Time to start considering a rebuild, while those players have value. That build starts with a completely new coaching staff: HC, DC, and STC. I have to agree with @nickers for once. None of them seem salvageable!

9 hours ago, Neo said:

Our fan base has been deprived of fundamentally sound football for ages (except for 2020, that was mostly fun). 

Here I thought Stefanski was the next Tom Landry- oops, nope. Outsmarting himself too many times. 1st & goal from the 1 yard line after a DPJ bomb on a GREAT throw from #7, and here comes the stupid play calls and the "swallows at Capistrano" holding penalty that's a tradition since 1999. WTF.

You're correct regarding #7. He is what he is, I'm not pissed about him. He's going to be his own worst critic about yesterday. He will bounce back vs LAC.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The scary thing is we're a miracle kick away from 1-3. Yikes. But we're also a few plays away from 4-0, so we can play that game all day. 

Here's the thing we all have to accept:  we're playing the majority of the season with a backup QB. That's the cold hard truth and we're seeing EXACTLY what that means. It means that when we absolutely need a drive, we're probably screwed. It's no shame upon Brissett, how many backups lead their team to victory at the last minute? 

Elite qb's make their money at the end of games. We don't have one, thus we'll struggle if we can't run. Admittedly it would have been a MIRACLE against the Jets, as there was almost no time left for us, but Brissett turned it over at the end. What happened today? Instead of hitting a wide open DJ for 10-15 yards and a 60 yard FG attempt, he throws another INT to effectively end it...again. 

We lost to a team that completed 7 passes. Our coach didn't kick a FG on the opening drive, ran the dumbest plays inside the red zone, and struggled yet again to get big explosive plays. 

I like Stefanski, but he lost this game and he knows it. You've simply GOT to win these games at the end. 

Welcome to Cleveland Browns football; where the more things change - the more they stay the same!  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

While your point about a new coach is undeniable, what happens if we do not make changes in the coaching staff?

We have lost against friggin' Flacco and the damn Jets, and now the Falcons ran all over us. Teams with a decent QB are going to pick us apart. Teams with a decent run will go for 200+ if not 300. And coach 'Fancy' will be sure to call plays that kill drives, or prevent certain scores. By the time DW can play, we will have a losing record. Even if he starts firing on all cylinders immediately (doubtful), we'd be lucky to get back to even. And you can forget about the playoffs.

That makes it a lost season anyway, with our best players in their prime. Time to start considering a rebuild, while those players have value. That build starts with a completely new coaching staff: HC, DC, and STC. I have to agree with @nickers for once. None of them seem salvageable!

Like I said, CONTEXT. Brissett is just to get us to the DeShaun Watson era. So far Brissett has us leading the division at 2-2 with 7 games left. I say that's not too bad. Ideally we want to have a winning record, I think it would be time to panic if we end sucking the rest of the way with Jimmy Haslam's 200 million dollar man. I'm hoping ShitMyPantsKi get something figured out in the mean time. Week four is not the time to panic.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Like I said, CONTEXT. Brissett is just to get us to the DeShaun Watson era. So far Brissett has us leading the division at 2-2 with 7 games left. I say that's not too bad. Ideally we want to have a winning record, I think it would be time to panic if we end sucking the rest of the way with Jimmy Haslam's 200 million dollar man. I'm hoping ShitMyPantsKi get something figured out in the mean time. Week four is not the time to panic.

Not sure why people are ranting as if Jacoby's our full time QB. The criticism should be directed to the coaching staff for this loss really.

• Upvote 3

These losses are entirely on Joe Woods and this garbage zone scheme they insist will be “fixed” every week. You can’t continuously leave guys wide open all over the field and expect to win games. 

With all the capital this team has spent on this defense (especially the secondary), there’s no excuse for the likes of Mayfield, Flacco, and Mariota looking like Tom Brady at the end of those games. How long does the front office watch this before the time to get it “corrected” is up??

Then you’ve got Stefanski refusing to accept that Watson is on the bench and we have a game managing backup on the field. Just run plays that suit our strengths and stop trying to be the “smartest” coach on the field. And bro, just take the fucking points already, and maybe we wouldn’t be expecting brisket to look like Mahomes at the end of the game.  

We keep doing the same dumb shit and apparently expect different results . . . 

9 minutes ago, Why?!?!? said:

These losses are entirely on Joe Woods and this garbage zone scheme they insist will be “fixed” every week. You can’t continuously leave guys wide open all over the field and expect to win games. 

With all the capital this team has spent on this defense (especially the secondary), there’s no excuse for the likes of Mayfield, Flacco, and Mariota looking like Tom Brady at the end of those games. How long does the front office watch this before the time to get it “corrected” is up??

Then you’ve got Stefanski refusing to accept that Watson is on the bench and we have a game managing backup on the field. Just run plays that suit our strengths and stop trying to be the “smartest” coach on the field. And bro, just take the fucking points already, and maybe we wouldn’t be expecting brisket to look like Mahomes at the end of the game.  

We keep doing the same dumb shit and apparently expect different results . . . 

I don't know why these two insist on overly complicating things that don't need to be. Like running a TE reverse when he's had success running reverses and jet sweeps with Schwartz albeit that's his only usefulness. Woods running zone schemes when our top cover corner is known for his man to man skills. I understand that players should be able to adapt and learn new things but they clearly struggle in zone coverage. I also understand you can't play just one scheme the entire game. So between him and the HC, they need to figure something out before the season gets out of hand. I want to at least be a .500 when Watson takes over, ideally better than .500.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Zombo said:

We'd be 4-0 if he had any sense of how to close a football game. Total panick city. He is really good at handing off and hitting wide open guys on early downs on play action, but he totally crumbles in situations where he, as the motherfucking qb, needs to win motherfucking games. Fuck this guy, he has no guts.

Z

Still better than Mayfield

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Neo said:

GOOD TAKE. The team is not fully banging, but they outplayed all 4 teams.

ShitMyPantski gave away two wins. Those are 100% coaching failures.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

How does one's offensive line manhandle the opposing OL, basically moving the ball at will, and then completely fall apart when it comes time to punch the ball into the end zone?

Simple, the defense loads up the LOS with the biggest fatasses that they have so as to stop the run.

19 hours ago, nickers said:

He was throwing passes in the dirt for crissake!...

Actually, that's better than Mayfield used to do.  Mayfield missed guys high over the middle, which is easier to intercept.  

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Simple, the defense loads up the LOS with the biggest fatasses that they have so as to stop the run.

Actually, that's better than Mayfield used to do.  Mayfield missed guys high over the middle, which is easier to intercept.  

Baker hasn't been the same since he was injured and played anyways. That was stupid.

But looking back to 2020 - the playoff season - Baker was red hot. He's a disaster since he got injured.

OTH, I started Brissett in my one fantasy league, hoping for a change from Kirk Cousins. They both ended up with only nine points. With Brissett, that is with one of the very top offensive lines in the NFL. Not good.

BTW, If I had started Baker, .... I would only have gotten 3 points. Stupid computer picked poorly for me at qb. lol

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Baker hasn't been the same since he was injured and played anyways. That was stupid.

But looking back to 2020 - the playoff season - Baker was red hot. He's a disaster since he got injured.

OTH, I started Brissett in my one fantasy league, hoping for a change from Kirk Cousins. They both ended up with only nine points. With Brissett, that is with one of the very top offensive lines in the NFL. Not good.

BTW, If I had started Baker, .... I would only have gotten 3 points. Stupid computer picked poorly for me at qb. lol

Cal, I'm not ready to totally write Baker off YET. But it's not currently looking good down Carolina way. The list of NFL quarterbacks who faded into oblivion after an injury is a mile long. Our own Bernie and Couch. RG III.

Just maybe Baker should swallow his pride and take a lesson from your fave Josh Allen and get a competent quarterback coach. Too late this year. I don't need a crystal ball to predict if Mayfield continues to play at his current level, he's one and done with the Panthers. Same sort of problems we saw in Cleveland. Plenty of us have opined Baker is only as good as his surrounding cast. If that's the case, he's not good enough to get a team to the Super Bowl.  Andy Dalton part two, and we're seeing how that's playing out in New Orleans.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Cal, I'm not ready to totally write Baker off YET. But it's not currently looking good down Carolina way. The list of NFL quarterbacks who faded into oblivion after an injury is a mile long. Our own Bernie and Couch. RG III.

Just maybe Baker should swallow his pride and take a lesson from your fave Josh Allen and get a competent quarterback coach. Too late this year. I don't need a crystal ball to predict if Mayfield continues to play at his current level, he's one and done with the Panthers. Same sort of problems we saw in Cleveland. Plenty of us have opined Baker is only as good as his surrounding cast. If that's the case, he's not good enough to get a team to the Super Bowl.  Andy Dalton part two, and we're seeing how that's playing out in New Orleans.  

Poor Mitch Trubisky is already being benched.  I think the Pitt brass hoped he'd last longer than getting benched during his 4th game.  If Pickett eventually emerges into an elite QB - that's really gonna suck!  

The only bit of positivity I can share is that this team will be unbelievable with Watson, and I really mean that. I had to remind myself that we have a backup and this will be how it goes. Just didn't expect the brain farts from coach. Lol

I'll tell you this much, Jacoby two games in crunch time went from Mr. Conservative to Mr. Big shot and it cost the potential to tie/win the game.

On Sunday, D'Ernest on a simple checkdown on the 3rd and 22 would have gotten 10-12 yards back. Against the Jets, they dropped 9 into coverage and almost the exact same situation occurred. Heck, in both situations they were at the exact same position on the field (Cleveland 46). The most important time of the game where I'd want to see captain checkdown or safe throw and he tried to play hero ball. I get those are going to be 60-62 yard field goals, but it's better than losing the game.

I agree, though, that it ain't on Brissett. I can accept close losses, but this team should be 3-1. Not "the ball didn't bounce your way" kinda loss, but an absolute coaching meltdown from being 3-1. I'm really not sure what else you all expected.

19 hours ago, Neo said:

I have no issue with Brisset at all. In fact, I've grown quite fond of him over the first games, as he brings exactly what is needed in the current situation. Would seriously consider signing him long-term as a back-up. 

What I am disputing is your "CONTEXT" that now is not the time to make coaching changes, because "we are still competitive." It is the polar opposite. We lost to the damn Jets, and even Faker and his lowly Pussycats gave us a run for our money. We are about to face much better teams and QBs, which are likely to ravage us. By the time our off-season 'All-in' plays out and DW gets to start, we will have a losing record. The chances of getting out of the Division are already slim to none. 

Bottom line: this season is lost, whatever we do. Might as well 'invest' in a complete coaching overhaul. 

15 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

What I am disputing is your "CONTEXT"

The context is that everybody knew that Watson was going to be suspended the first 11 games. Stepfanski had to chage up his gameplan to suit Jacoby Brissett. There has been questionable decisions across the board from the players to the coach, to the DC. The decision to not throw in the endzone on 4th and goal for Brissett, Chubb scoring instead going down short of the goal (BTW I am not blaming Chubb for this mess) The TE reverse to set up 2nd & 16, the horrible defensive scheme by Joe Woods.

You have to at least see what Watson has to offer before you begin to panic. If we end up with a losing record at the end of the season then I say fire everybody but not until then.

I am absolutely fine with what I've seen from Brissett so far, if you would have told me that the Browns would be averaging over 25 points a game through the first four games, I would have done backflips.

When you have your backup QB starting for a long stretch, you need other parts of the team to step up and your coaching staff to have the team well-run. The backup QB has done an admirable job so far. The other parts have not stepped up. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:16 AM, Korsou Dawg said:

Kind of the points I have been making.

I am indeed serious about firing ShitMyPantski. It is not because we lost two games. It is because both of those two games it was bad game management that caused the loss. The Browns were the better team in both of those losses. This team continues to be badly disciplined. I honestly don't understand how you ShitMyPantksi supporters see this changing. If Shitsy had the ability to tighten these things up, it would have been done largely in his first preseason.

I just think he blows.

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, jiggins7919 said:

The only bit of positivity I can share is that this team will be unbelievable with Watson,

...next year, perhaps.  Not this year.  He's been too long away from football.  He's not even allowed to be with the team yet.  He'll be so far off his 'A' game that we'd probably be better off sticking with Brissett.  Unless we're haplessly out of the playoff hunt...then fine, play Watson to get him some reps.

On 10/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, Zombo said:

We'd be 4-0 if he had any sense of how to close a football game. Total panick city. He is really good at handing off and hitting wide open guys on early downs on play action, but he totally crumbles in situations where he, as the motherfucking qb, needs to win motherfucking games. Fuck this guy, he has no guts.

Z

One of the funniest things about this board is the after game "Fire That Mother Fucker" posts that always follow a loss. TBB is always putting its' foot up someone's ass. Funny shit.

I wont put the blame on JB, although he did shit the bed on the last drive. And is pretty conservative in taking downfield shots. 

I think KS needs to stop over thinking the game (as many have pointed out) and keep doing what works best. 1st and goal at the 1..run it down their damn throats..why adjust inside the RZ, we have an outstanding OL. Make the opponents adjust.  

If the points are there, take them. Analytics are causing coaches to overthink and 2nd guess the most basic of decisions imo.

I mean that 1st drive against ATL was great, then we get fancy in the RZ. 2 prolific rbs...

Joe woods, 10 straight run plays..did he ever bring pressure? Put 8 men in the box? Think he stayed in a zone /shell D that drive. WHY? When he started bringing pressure it really put MM on the ropes.

Again, how does zaccheurs (sp) get wide open in our secondary? Backed up inside their own 10,3rd and 9 and he drags underneath/across for what 52 yards. Nobody in sight.I thought MM thru a duck and was going to be picked on that play.

KS is the HC, he needs to start holding people accountable on all sides of the ball. And make big boy decisions. If not, these games will be like Bill Murray in ground hog day.

Jmo..doesnt mean to much..lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Jmo..doesnt mean to much..lol

...still though, you made a lot of good points.  :)    

This is my favorite:    If the points are there, take them. Analytics are causing coaches to overthink and 2nd guess the most basic of decisions imo.

8 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Joe woods, 10 straight run plays..did he ever bring pressure? Put 8 men in the box? Think he stayed in a zone /shell D that drive. WHY? When he started bringing pressure it really put MM on the ropes.

Are you asking, or answering? 

8 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Again, how does zaccheurs (sp) get wide open in our secondary?

If only somebody on this forum took the time to research and unpack such things....