THE BROWNS BOARD

​ The ..... 🏈  Official Browns at Ravens Game Thread Oct 23  🏈 ​

Dutch Oven

6 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And The Brissett obsession is strange to me… WHAT DID SOME OF YOU EXPECT?   If he played consistently well he wouldn’t be on our team.  And He’s actually played better than I expected. 

It's officially "Grasping At Straws" time here.... He completed over 80% of his passes today at nearly 10 yards an attempt, and threw an absolutetly perfect pass to Cooper, who inexplicably pushed off on a defender who didn't even know the pass was coming. 

• Upvote 1

The QB position did not cost us a game today.  

The officials blew the encroachment call at the end of the game.  Nobody moved until the Ravens jumped offsides.  But even if they had gotten the call right, we could've blown it from there, so.....2 and 5 is what we are.  We scored 10 points off the bat...and then went silent.  Can't do that.   You've gotta keep scoring points if you're gonna win games.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's officially "Grasping At Straws" time here.... He completed over 80% of his passes today at nearly 10 yards an attempt, and threw an absolutetly perfect pass to Cooper, who inexplicably pushed off on a defender who didn't even know the pass was coming. 

And if somehow you win the game......York FG Good......ot.....BROWNS win..... nobody is really still crabbing about the calls.

BUT they've lost 4 straight, everything is under the microscope.....good or bad, right or wrong.   And so it goes.

So who do the BROWNS play next week  ?  Time to think 3-5 baby....oh that still sounds gross. 

QUESTION :  When does  Mr Watson some back ?   ANSWER :  Not soon enough. 

Meanwhile  MIA still 16-10 with 6 minutes left.  Go Dolphins  !

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm glad to see Tony Dungy on the SNF pregame show describe it as "a very questionable false start call on the Browns...".

Boomer Esiason, being the flaming douchebag that he is, just said "the Browns did the Browns thing and had a penalty at the worst possible time". I hope he gets AIDS, then his dick spontanously combusts. 

This is the shit I'm so tired of and I thought we were past. I really believed we were past all that Browns doing Browns shit Era. And screw you, Boomer. Jesus. 

6 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is the shit I'm so tired of and I thought we were past. I really believed we were past all that Browns doing Browns shit Era. And screw you, Boomer. Jesus. 

Funny for a guy who "couldn't win it all"

28 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Keeps Chin up....on to upset of the week.....Go Browns!

There's gotta be a light at the end of the damn tunnel eventually....

Soon as Joey and Kevvy get their pink slips at seasons end...

I've been watching football for a very long time. In all that time, I can assure you I've NEVER heard the shit Gene "protect the refs" was trying to spout about why that was a false start and not encroachment. Even if what he's saying is a rule, when would refs EVER call that shit a false start as opposed to much more obvious, and much more impactful, offsides?

I don't wanna hear "well that play didn't make the game"-fuck yes it did. The Browns should have (and would have) gone for it with a 4th and short 1 with arguably the best short yardage unit in the NFL. The whole game changes but of course it doesn't go our way.

I've never thought the NFL is outright rigged, but it's very obvious to me in the last 3-4 years there's a secret rule that close calls favor the more marketable team. As they go into Europe, Canada, and South America the face of the league can't be the Browns. How on earth can you explain Brissett getting hit in helmet, a flag gets thrown, and gets picked up? It's absolute

• Upvote 3

Coaches film is up.  

Early thoughts. 

- Defense did an admirable hustle job.  You can see some fires lit, Myles was running his ass off.  But it still isn't enough without a little more talent and depth that holds up in the 2nd half.  And the offense going through dry spells isn't ideal either.       I get why the yelling and frustration in the locker room.  I see some real heart out here early, and if you lose when you're at "that" level, psyched and a good deal stressed, it never goes well afterwards.    All that pent up and then expressed passion/emotion has to go somewhere.    This would have been an anchors off the shoulders type of win, especially in the locker room.     Instead, unlike a 'typical' loss, it has the opposite effect.

- Both defenses did a good job with prep work and being effective on their sides of the field early.  Coaches watched a great deal of what the Gmen did to Lamar last week.    Ronnie Harrison was able to get involved early, much like last year, because of that.  On early downs where the Ravens are run heavy from their option/power and love to take downfield shots, we followed the Giants play book by sending our big nickel off the slot to pickup Lamar on the keep.  This means our Dline wasn't occupied by being frozen with reads and being put in 'no-win' situations.

For those of you wanting to be overly critical of Joe Woods, the defensive play from the first 4 drives of the Ravens has been pretty damn good.  

- Travis Jones looked good.

- How about your boy Geno fuckin' Stone?   Oh, God... @Tour2ma, if you were still with us I'd be putting that one in the W column in our years long game of one-ups-manship on evals.    Miss ya, buddy.  And I know you're laughing about this one somewhere and thinking, "yeah, he got me".    Don't worry, you were right about Kellen Mond sticking around.

- Teams are, much like with Baker, much like with Lamar, overplaying their hand and DB's taking away positive breaking routes.  Jacoby did some good things, then he did some not good things.    It just the QB he is.  But until we can consistently exploit the perimeter, we'll struggle for multiple drives and down the stretch in almost every game.

- Emerson's footwork and patient mirrior/ phase continue to improve. I love the work he's putting in with the coaches and film study, little else leads to such an improvement from week 1.       He got beat early but didn't panic.  My only wish is that he was more violent with his hands in the first 5 yards.  I know, it's the NFL and refs are flag happy.  But that's the only way you're going to survive at corner without having long ball speed.   Dial up Richard Sherman and just don't hold like he did.

- Oline continues to play well as a unit, though Wills gave up some late pressures in critical situations.  I could swear he's still thinking about his footwork at times.

- Deion Jones was specifically brought in to remove the liability that is Jacob Phillips.  And in the downs Deion was in, he outplayed Phillips, who is in his 3rd year with this team, by quite a bit.    That should be telling when I said the 4 horsemen who are the problems with this defense are Jordan Elliot, Togiai, Jacob and Delpit.    One is currently being dealt with by that move.   It's JP's processing speed on the field more than anything.  I'm sure he's a great meeting guy and good on the white board, but he sucks between the ears when the bullets are flying.  Especially slow to diagnose and trigger downhill.

- The trade off now is that we have a LB who is even smaller.  So we have to find ways to protect him and JoK.   Speaking of...

- JoK had some awesome movement getting underneath pulls and voided gaps from the backside.  This is where he speed backside to far side really shines.   And because he can get under pulls, he can nab a couple TFL here and there. On the flip side, you can give up a lane like that if you don't get home.  Which he did in the 1st half.

- Delpit was targeted early and it was very much clear the Pats coaches have given a plan of attack to every other coaching staff since then.  Worse, there are times his eyes are getting caught in places they shouldn't be. We're fortunate to not have given up an early TD on the Ravens 2nd drive. And I know it's not the call or the rest of the DB's not being on the same page, EVERYBODY played it as they should. I know, I am incredibly versed with the call vs the trips the Ravens were showing. We called it ghost/roll, with a 'merc' (instead of MEG) call to the boundary corner (locking him in man)  By good fortune I mean Lamar came off the field read thinking cover 2,  and came to his right with Emerson in man coverage.  Since he beat Martin earlier, I'd venture a good guess he wanted to go back to picking on him.   Give the rookie some credit, he won this rep big time and denied the throw.  Lamar had to eat it for a sack when Myles showed up.    Delpit needs to double time work in the film room because safety play is either like a cheat code, or playing on easy mode. When you're good, offenses feel like they're playing vs 12 guys.  When you're bad, they might as well just play vs 10.       By my count, I have him tagged with a hypothetical TD given up, but a very real big 3rd and 11 conversion on the Ravens 4th drive.  A conversion that, if shut down like it should have been, would have forced a punt.  (Ravens went on to score a TD on this same drive)

I feel like I'm watching Jacob Phillips at times, but just as a DB.     It's up to him to hold up in coverage otherwise he'll be the first DB circled at the start of every assistant and coaches meeting from other team on Monday when the coaches go "Ok, where do we start?"... 

Actually, it looks like he already has earned that title.... 

Might have more for you later.  

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Coaches film is up.  

Early thoughts. 

- Defense did an admirable hustle job.  You can see some fires lit, Myles was running his ass off.  But it still isn't enough without a little more talent and depth that holds up in the 2nd half.  And the offense going through dry spells isn't ideal either.       I get why the yelling and frustration in the locker room.  I see some real heart out here early, and if you lose when you're at "that" level, psyched and a good deal stressed, it never goes well afterwards.    All that pent up and then expressed passion/emotion has to go somewhere.    This would have been an anchors off the shoulders type of win, especially in the locker room.     Instead, unlike a 'typical' loss, it has the opposite effect.

- Both defenses did a good job with prep work and being effective on their sides of the field early.  Coaches watched a great deal of what the Gmen did to Lamar last week.    Ronnie Harrison was able to get involved early, much like last year, because of that.  On early downs where the Ravens are run heavy from their option/power and love to take downfield shots, we followed the Giants play book by sending our big nickel off the slot to pickup Lamar on the keep.  This means our Dline wasn't occupied by being frozen with reads and being put in 'no-win' situations.

For those of you wanting to be overly critical of Joe Woods, the defensive play from the first 4 drives of the Ravens has been pretty damn good.  

- Travis Jones looked good.

- How about your boy Geno fuckin' Stone?   Oh, God... @Tour2ma, if you were still with us I'd be putting that one in the W column in our years long game of one-ups-manship on evals.    Miss ya, buddy.  And I know you're laughing about this one somewhere and thinking, "yeah, he got me".    Don't worry, you were right about Kellen Mond sticking around.

- Teams are, much like with Baker, much like with Lamar, overplaying their hand and DB's taking away positive breaking routes.  Jacoby did some good things, then he did some not good things.    It just the QB he is.  But until we can consistently exploit the perimeter, we'll struggle for multiple drives and down the stretch in almost every game.

- Emerson's footwork and patient mirrior/ phase continue to improve. I love the work he's putting in with the coaches and film study, little else leads to such an improvement from week 1.       He got beat early but didn't panic.  My only wish is that he was more violent with his hands in the first 5 yards.  I know, it's the NFL and refs are flag happy.  But that's the only way you're going to survive at corner without having long ball speed.   Dial up Richard Sherman and just don't hold like he did.

- Oline continues to play well as a unit, though Wills gave up some late pressures in critical situations.  I could swear he's still thinking about his footwork at times.

- Deion Jones was specifically brought in to remove the liability that is Jacob Phillips.  And in the downs Deion was in, he outplayed Phillips, who is in his 3rd year with this team, by quite a bit.    That should be telling when I said the 4 horsemen who are the problems with this defense are Jordan Elliot, Togiai, Jacob and Delpit.    One is currently being dealt with by that move.   It's JP's processing speed on the field more than anything.  I'm sure he's a great meeting guy and good on the white board, but he sucks between the ears when the bullets are flying.  Especially slow to diagnose and trigger downhill.

- The trade off now is that we have a LB who is even smaller.  So we have to find ways to protect him and JoK.   Speaking of...

- JoK had some awesome movement getting underneath pulls and voided gaps from the backside.  This is where he speed backside to far side really shines.   And because he can get under pulls, he can nab a couple TFL here and there. On the flip side, you can give up a lane like that if you don't get home.  Which he did in the 1st half.

- Delpit was targeted early and it was very much clear the Pats coaches have given a plan of attack to every other coaching staff since then.  Worse, there are times his eyes are getting caught in places they shouldn't be. We're fortunate to not have given up an early TD on the Ravens 2nd drive. And I know it's not the call or the rest of the DB's not being on the same page, EVERYBODY played it as they should. I know, I am incredibly versed with the call vs the trips the Ravens were showing. We called it ghost/roll, with a 'merc' (instead of MEG) call to the boundary corner (locking him in man)  By good fortune I mean Lamar came off the field read thinking cover 2,  and came to his right with Emerson in man coverage.  Since he beat Martin earlier, I'd venture a good guess he wanted to go back to picking on him.   Give the rookie some credit, he won this rep big time and denied the throw.  Lamar had to eat it for a sack when Myles showed up.    Delpit needs to double time work in the film room because safety play is either like a cheat code, or playing on easy mode. When you're good, offenses feel like they're playing vs 12 guys.  When you're bad, they might as well just play vs 10.       By my count, I have him tagged with a hypothetical TD given up, but a very real big 3rd and 11 conversion on the Ravens 4th drive.  A conversion that, if shut down like it should have been, would have forced a punt.  (Ravens went on to score a TD on this same drive)

I feel like I'm watching Jacob Phillips at times, but just as a DB.     It's up to him to hold up in coverage otherwise he'll be the first DB circled at the start of every assistant and coaches meeting from other team on Monday when the coaches go "Ok, where do we start?"... 

Actually, it looks like he already has earned that title.... 

Might have more for you later.  

Letting guys walk to the end zone and walk to first downs is NOT my idea of "Hustling"... They were 7 0f 15 on 3rd down defense... That's atrocious and inexcusable... They were AWFUL!

And 9n SNF tonight  CHI up big on NE,   just  2:00 left.

On our little  NFL PICKEM  it's:   NE 11  CHI 8 and 4 NO picks......FWIW.     33-14 FINAL.

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I woule have paid money to be in the film study yesterday when this play was shown to the players. 

You simply can't grasp the power of a staring tackle. It's unfathomable.

best view is at 50-51 seconds.. 

If any brown jumped? It's #96  Jordan Elliott not #68.. Hughlett moves ball to only it's tilt/tip position..   Ravens a tick quicker..imo

Sky judge please!

edit-10-29--- Mike Priefer.. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/10/browns-special-teams-coordinator-mike-priefer-explains-why-the-officials-got-the-false-start-call-right-on-sunday.html

now I'll have to agree... 

“Their whole left side of their defensive line, at least two of them, moved and hit our guys, but we had moved on our left side, which *was not an adjacent lineman* so that was a mistake that we made so that cost us the five yards,” Priefer said. (correct number is #96 Jordan Elliott)

1 hour ago, BrownsKidd said:

I can see why Koramoah went left and inside... But doesn't JJ3 (43) have enough sense to fill that hole opening to his right? There was no where to go on the left side?? 

Phillips was unblocked too.  We criticize the tackles for not keeping the backers clean.  But not the case here. 

They are who we thought they were:

Draft Profiles: Jacob Phillips // Togiai // Elliot // Delpit.  All the negatives with very few of the positives. 

Fun quote from the Delpit link: "Misses inordinate amount of tackles in a variety of ways". This is fine!

One additional failing on this D staff is the lack of improvement except for very few -- JOK, Emerson, Ward have to be considered exceptions.

18 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

"Misses inordinate amount of tackles in a variety of ways". 

Grossi also stated yesterday, that the browns ranked 2nd worse as a professional 🏈 team in missed tackles with 70 👀.. do you happen to still have your pff account? Does that 70 number jive with pff's? it would not surprise me 🤷‍♂️

From what I've watched of nfl games.. Missed tackles have got to be up by a double digit league wide... Cupcake Camp's to the same at practice's.. and Here we are        

Oh, Delpit... buddy.  

The missed tackles are one thing, but the amount of blown coverages is another.   Browns didn't play timid on defense, especially up front. Likely saved that from being another 2 TD's on the board. 

Worse, even when he has decent coverage, he's drawn Hunter Henry and Mark Andrew's on back to back weeks.  That's rough for anybody. 

will add..

the all 22 defensively looked better than prior weeks since Pittsburgh

Rookie's I. Thomas & even Alex Wright had some fairly good film.. We missed Denzel Ward big time at Balt..

D.Ward plays well vs tBengals.. hoping for a Halloween return 🤞  

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

will add..

the all 22 defensively looked better than prior weeks since Pittsburgh

Rookie's I. Thomas & even Alex Wright had some fairly good film.. We missed Denzel Ward big time at Balt..

D.Ward plays well vs tBengals.. hoping for a Halloween return 🤞  

Just like the Panthers game, don't get too hung up on that being the benchmark. 

The Ravens IOL doesn't look all that good.  On the flip side, their gap power works well into our defensive strengths. Because Tommy Togiai has questionable leg drive, movement and wingspan, but damn if he isn't strong as hell and even he made a couple plays.    I'm just not buying the fools gold on this one until I see more.

I'm looking at the over and Bengals team score.