THE BROWNS BOARD

~  AND  ~   🏈   only  204 days  and now 92 ? 57 ? 32 ? 19 ? YES really ! And still counting...  🏈   ....​​​​​​​🔥

syd

Well we've broken the three week mark, and are at Ross Fichtner days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Fichtner played on both sides of the ball at Purdue, he shared duties as the Boilermakers QB right after Len Dawson, and also played cornerback.

He was a 3rd round pick of the Browns in 1960 (and a second round pick of the AFL Buffalo Bills) who started in the NFL as a cornerback, then moved to free safety, and eventually became the Browns strong safety. He was the Browns starting free safety in the 1964 NFL Championship, and played in Cleveland through the 1967 season.

He would finish his career in 1968 with the New Orleans Saints, finishing his career with 27 interceptions. His son was a longtime Steelers assistant coach, coaching in Pittsburgh from 2007-2020, the last three as their Offensive Coordinator. Ross passed away in 2022. 

ross fichtner.jpeg

• Thanks 1

In the long history of the Browns, there haven't been too many players more beloved than our man of the day... We are now at Bernie Kosar days until the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Kosar grew up in Boardman, and won a national championship at the University of Miami in 1983. He graduated early and entered the 1985 supplemental draft instead of the traditional draft because the Browns had obtained Buffalo's #1 pick by trading away two first rounders, a third and a sixth. Kosar would become the Browns starting quarterback in his rookie season after a season-ending injury to Gary Danielson, and would help lead the Browns to an AFC Central title, and a close loss to Miami in the playoffs.

The Browns would transition from a run-first team in '85 to a prolific, balanced offense in Kosar's second season, with help of offensive coordinator Lindy Infante. Kosar would lead the Browns to back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances, but would end of just short of the Super Bowl with two heartbreaking losses to Denver. He lead the AFC in QB rating in 1987. Bernie would miss most of the 1988 season with injuries, and would return in 1989 to throw for 3533 yards, but once again the Browns would lose to Denver in the AFC Championship Game. 

Between 1990-1993, Kosar would battle injuries and the Browns were in a rebuilding era, as the mid-to-late 80s teams started to age quickly, specifically the OLine. Bill Belichick would cut Kosar during the 1993 season, and his days as a starting QB were effectively done. He'd finish the season in Dallas (picking up a Super Bowl ring as backup to Troy Aikman), then spend his last three seasons in Miami as a backup. For his career, Kosar threw for 23,301 yards, 124 touchdowns and 87 interceptions. 

bernie kosar .jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i believe it was the week after Bernie was let go. and i  was on the 50 yard line center(seahawks game) and rode belichek for most of the game. and yes he was nice enough to turn around and acknowledge my boorish behavior

Love Ya Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, syd said:

i believe it was the week after Bernie was let go. and i  was on the 50 yard line center(seahawks game) and rode belichek for most of the game. and yes he was nice enough to turn around and acknowledge my boorish behavior

Love Ya Bernie

The infamous Todd Philcox game in Seattle. 

Belichick wasn't well-liked here, specifically for this move, but sadly he was right about Kosar. By his fifth or sixth season, he was already in decline. By the time Bill cut him, his days as a starter were done. He was only 29. 

• Like 1

Good morning lads! Allow me to blow your minds with this tasty trivia tidbit, for today I will inform you (or remind you) that once, the Browns had a QB with a truly fantastic name. Yes, boys, we are Dick Shiner days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Shiner was a 1964 seventh round pick of Washington who played sparingly for the Redskins for three seasons behind started Sonny Jurgenson.

He then came to your Cleveland Browns in 1967, and Dick backed up Frank Ryan. In his one glorious season for the Browns, the ol' Pud Polisher was 3 for 9 for 34 yards, no touchdowns and 1 interception. Shiner would then be involved in the trade to Pittsburgh that netted the Browns QB Bill Nelsen, who would replace Ryan. Shiner started nine games in 1969 for the Steelers, Chuck Noll's first season in Pittsburgh as head coach.

He was traded to the NY Giants the following year after the Steelers drafted Terry Bradshaw, and then would play in Atlanta (1971-73) and finish his career in New England, retiring after the 1974 season. For his career, Shiner threw for 4801 yards with 36 touchdowns and 43 interceptions. Below is one of the craziest football cards you will ever see, a guy in a Browns uniform with a Steelers logo on the card. 

dick shiner.jpeg

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The infamous Todd Philcox game in Seattle. 

Belichick wasn't well-liked here, specifically for this move, but sadly he was right about Kosar. By his fifth or sixth season, he was already in decline. By the time Bill cut him, his days as a starter were done. He was only 29. 

Bernie was always my guy.  He also was a 100% BROWNS fan.

Bernie's benefits company in Boardman was next door to my doctor's office  -but- he was never there ..... his dad Bernie Senior would plop his lazy butt there and figure how to get more money out of it.  I never liked him.  The only money Bernie ever took out was to pay for his sister's college bills .... his dad spent the rest ..... on himself..

Bernie's uncle worked at the same US Steel plant that I was at.  He was an OK guy, he worked in the same department that my dad was a boss of.  My dad also got my one cousin a job there in the communications department at.  My dad was an electrical test engineer in charge of central power there.  A real smart guy,  he knew Bernie's uncle well.  

US Steel in Youngstown/ McDonald had over 10,000 employees, over 15,000  at one time.  When I as there a real family company  ...... Intel it closed. Oh well.   Nice company to work for.

Just a little Kosar family information. 

Bernie-Kosar.jpg

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Good morning lads! Allow me to blow your minds with this tasty trivia tidbit, for today I will inform you (or remind you) that once, the Browns have a QB with a truly fantastic name. Yes, boys, we are Dick Shiner days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Shiner was a 1964 seventh round pick of Washington who played sparingly for the Redskins for three seasons behind started Sonny Jurgenson.

He then came to your Cleveland Browns in 1967, and Dick backed up Frank Ryan. In his one glorious season for the Browns, the ol' Pud Polisher was 3 for 9 for 34 yards, no touchdowns and 1 interception. Shiner would then be involved in the trade to Pittsburgh that netted the Browns QB Bill Nelsen, who would replace Ryan. Shiner started nine games in 1969 for the Steelers, Chuck Noll's first season in Pittsburgh as head coach.

He was traded to the NY Giants the following year after the Steelers drafted Terry Bradshaw, and then would play in Atlanta (1971-73) and finish his career in New England, retiring after the 1974 season. For his career, Shiner threw for 4801 yards with 36 touchdowns and 43 interceptions. Below is one of the craziest football cards you will ever see, a guy in a Browns uniform with a Steelers logo on the card. 

dick shiner.jpeg

Well there are not many  #18 jersey wearing like Dick Shiner above but there are  few  notable names that did.

Like  #18  Gary Danielson  for example in  1985, 1987 & 1988  as an emergency quarterback went down with injuries like Bernie Kosar. 

And  #18  Len Dawson  early in his career in 1960 & 1961  after being hardly used in Clevland or in Pittsburgh 1957-1959  and eventually ending up in Kansas City. 

Or  #18  Mike Tomzack. In Cleveland in 1992  for one year.  A lot of  players going through here many moved on to or through  Poittsburgh.  Why not ?

We are only two days away from the last preseason game, and we are also Brian Sipe days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. The Californian was a 13th round pick of the Browns in the 1972 Draft out of San Diego State. He had a slow go at it getting his career started, he was a practice squad player his first two seasons, and didn't become a full-time starter until 1976, when he lead the Browns to a 9-5 record, a six game improvement over the previous season. Over the course of the 1979 and '80 season, he lead the Browns in eleven game-winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime, spawning the "Kardiac Kids". In 1980, Sipe would throw for 4132 yards and 30 touchdowns, helping the Browns go to the playoffs for the first time since 1972. He was named the NFL's MVP and went to the Pro-Bowl. Sadly, the exciting season ended with Sipe throwing an interception vs the Raiders in the frost-bitten "Red Right 88" playoff game. The Browns would slump after that, with Sipe losing his starting job for a while in 1982 to Paul McDonald. He would regain his starting job in 1983 and lead the Browns to a 9-7 record. Sipe would then jump to the USFL, where he would play his final two pro football seasons. For his career, Sipe threw for 23,763 yards, 154 touchdowns and 149 interceptions. 

brian sipe.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Well let me start your weekend off by telling you that we are only Josh Cribbs days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! The Browns signed Cribbs after he went undrafted in the 2005 Draft, and converted the Kent State QB into a special teams extraordinaire. Cribbs would play for the Browns through the 2012 season, going to the Pro Bowl three times. He end his career with stops in Oakland, New York (Jets) and Indianapolis over the last two seasons in the NFL. He was named to the NFL 2000s All-Decade Team. In his career, he would have 11,113 yards in kickoff returns (26.1 avg) and 8 touchdowns, and add another 2373 yards (10.7 avg) and another 3 touchdowns in punt returns. On offense, he'd run for 797 yards (5.7 avg) and 2 touchdowns and would have 110 career receptions for 1175 yards and 7 touchdowns. His wife Maria and Josh can be seen on their show "Cribbs in the CLE" on WOIO. 

josh cribbs.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• mjp28 changed the title to ~  AND  ~   🏈   only  204 days  and now 92 ? 57 ? 32 ? 19 ? YES really ! And still counting...  🏈   ....​​​​​​​

Good morning gentlemen, and others, as we sprint closer to another fun-filled football season. In fact, we are now Mike Phipps days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Phipps might be possibly the most infamous of all the players we've profiled, and while the popular sentiment is that the Browns executed one of the worst trades in NFL history to get him, they might have pulled off one of the best trades ever to get rid of him!

Phipps was a three year starter at Purdue (1967-69) where he lead the Boilermakers to three straight wins over Notre Dame, who had won a National Championship in 1966. He finished second in the Heisman his senior year, and the Miami Dolphins selected Phipps #3 overall in the 1970 Draft. They already had Bob Griese (who Phipps had succeeded as starter at Purdue, coincidentally enough) so they traded him to the Browns for future Hall of Famer WR Paul Warfield. To sum up Phipps' seven seasons in Cleveland succinctly, he didn't exactly play well. In fact, he put up some of the worst numbers I've ever seen of a QB who got as much playing time for as long as he did that I've ever seen. For his career, Phipps threw for 10,506 yards (at a paltry 49.2% completion rate) with 55 touchdowns and 108 interceptions. Holy shitballs indeed. The weird thing was that somehow his starting record as a QB was 38-31-2. Well, the Bears saw something in his seven seasons with the Browns they liked (hence, why the Bears have traditionally been horrible at the QB position) and traded a 1978 first rounder to the Browns in May of 1977 for Phipps. He'd end his career there in the early 80s, and the Browns would take that first rounder in 1978 and draft Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome, and move him to TE. 

mike phipps.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Good morning gentlemen, and others, as we sprint closer to another fun-filled football season. In fact, we are now Mike Phipps days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Phipps might be possibly the most infamous of all the players we've profiled, and while the popular sentiment is that the Browns executed one of the worst trades in NFL history to get him, they might have pulled off one of the best trades ever to get rid of him!

Phipps was a three year starter at Purdue (1967-69) where he lead the Boilermakers to three straight wins over Notre Dame, who had won a National Championship in 1966. He finished second in the Heisman his senior year, and the Miami Dolphins selected Phipps #3 overall in the 1970 Draft. They already had Bob Griese (who Phipps had succeeded as starter at Purdue, coincidentally enough) so they traded him to the Browns for future Hall of Famer WR Paul Warfield. To sum up Phipps' seven seasons in Cleveland succinctly, he didn't exactly play well. In fact, he put up some of the worst numbers I've ever seen of a QB who got as much playing time for as long as he did that I've ever seen. For his career, Phipps threw for 10,506 yards (at a paltry 49.2% completion rate) with 55 touchdowns and 108 interceptions. Holy shitballs indeed. The weird thing was that somehow his starting record as a QB was 38-31-2. Well, the Bears saw something in his seven seasons with the Browns they liked (hence, why the Bears have traditionally been horrible at the QB position) and traded a 1978 first rounder to the Browns in May of 1977 for Phipps. He'd end his career there in the early 80s, and the Browns would take that first rounder in 1978 and draft Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome, and move him to TE. 

mike phipps.jpeg

awesome read

• Like 1

It feels like Syd started this a year ago, but we are starting to get close, boys. In fact, we are Otto Graham days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Graham was signed by Paul Brown before the end of WWII, but was not the starting QB for the new Cleveland Browns in their first two AAFC games, as he arrived late from being discharged from the Navy. He quickly showed why Brown signed him a year before, and would run off ten seasons the likes will never been seen again. In all ten seasons, the former Northwestern Wild Cat lead the Browns to their respective league's championship. He'd win all four AAFC Championships, win the 1950 title in the Browns first season in the NFL, then after three tough Championship losses in a row win two more titles for the Browns in convincing fashion. After Graham retired, he'd be head coach and athletic director at the Coast Guard Academy before and after a three year stint as head coach of the Washington Redskins. 

Automatic Otto would be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965. For his career, he'd throw for 23,584 yards with 174 touchdowns against 135 interceptions. Graham still holds the record for the highest career yards per pass attempt in history. He'd also rush for 882 yards and 44 touchdowns. 

otto graham.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It feels like Syd started this a year ago, but we are starting to get close, boys. In fact, we are Otto Graham days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Graham was signed by Paul Brown before the end of WWII, but was not the starting QB for the new Cleveland Browns in their first two AAFC games, as he arrived late from being discharged from the Navy. He quickly show why Brown signed him a year before, and would run off ten seasons the likes will never been seen again. In all ten seasons, the former Northwestern WildDawg lead the Browns to their respective league's championship. He'd win all four AAFC Championships, win the 1950 title in the Browns first season in the NFL, then after three tough Championship losses in a row win two more titles for the Browns in convincing fashion. After Graham retired, he'd be head coach and athletic director at the Coast Guard Academy before and after a three year stint as head coach of the Washington Redskins. 

Automatic Otto would be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965. For his career, he'd throw for 23,584 yards with 174 touchdowns against 135 interceptions. Graham still holds the record for the highest career yards per pass attempt in history. He'd also rush for 882 yards and 44 touchdowns. 

otto graham.jpego

~   Some very good  stories in the teen numbers  ......  I will try to get back to them  soon.   mjp.

We go from the greatest QB in Browns history to the last Browns QB to lead the Browns to a NFL title, as we are now Frank Ryan days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Ryan was drafted in the 5th round of the 1958 Draft by the Los Angeles Rams out of Rice, but would play sparingly in his four seasons there. He was then traded to the Browns before the start of the 1962 training camp, and was slated as the backup to Jim Ninowski, but became the starter that season after Ninowski suffered a season-ending injury. Ryan would hold onto the starting QB position for the next six seasons.

Ryan would lead the NFL in touchdown passes in 1964 (25) and the Browns to a NFL Championship, and another trip to the NFL Title Game the next season too, but the Browns fell short vs the Packers. He'd have a fine season in 1966 too, which would end his three year in a row Pro Bowl run. He would be replaced early on in the 1968 season as starter by Bill Nelsen, as he had been battling injuries ever since the 1964 Pro Bowl. Would move on to Washington in 1969, and retire from there after the 1970 season. While with the Browns, Ryan would get his Ph.D in mathematics. After retiring, he'd put his education to work, as he worked at times in the U.S. government, was also the athletic director at Yale, professor at Rice, among other jobs.

For his career, Dr. Ryan threw for 16,044 yards with 149 touchdowns against 111 interceptions. He also added 1358 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns. 

frank ryan.jpeg

• Upvote 2

This next one might ruffle some feathers. Panties might get in a bunch... but we are now Josh Gordon days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. "Now Dutch..." you growl, "Why would you pick THIS guy? You could have used longtime kicker Don Cockroft!", you angrily add. 

Well, allow me to retort. I've been watching the Browns since the end of the Sam Rutigliano head coaching era, and I'll go to my death bed convinced that for ONE season, Josh Gordon was the most dominant Browns player I've ever seen. Gordon was a second round draft pick of the Browns in the 2012 Supplemental Draft out of Baylor, and had a solid rookie season, catching 50 balls for 805 yards (16.1 avg) and 5 touchdowns. He would miss the first two games of the 2014 season due to a failed drug test, then would just flat-out dominate, catching 87 passes for 1646 yards (18.9 avg) and 9 touchdowns. He put up these Madden Playstation numbers with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden starting 13 of the Browns games, going 1-12. (Brian Hoyer went 3-0 in his starts). 

Its been a shitshow since. Between 2014-2017, Gordon played in 11 games combined, due to failed alcohol/drug tests. He missed both the 2015 and 2016 seasons entirely. The Browns finally pulled the plug on Gordon by trading him to New England in 2018, but he voluntarily left the active roster amid a potential indefinite suspension. Returned in 2019, to only get suspended in 2020. Reinstated in 2021 and played for Kansas City, then played for Tennessee in 2022. 

A tale of two Josh Gordons:

2012/2013: 30 games, 137 rec, 2451 yards, 17.9 avg, 14 touchdowns
2014-2022: 47 games, 115 rec, 1833 yards, 15.9 avg, 7 touchdowns

sh gordon.webp

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This next one might ruffle some feathers. Panties might get in a bunch... but we are now Josh Gordon days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. "Now Dutch..." you growl, "Why would you pick THIS guy? You could have used longtime kicker Don Cockroft!", you angrily add. 

Well, allow me to retort. I've been watching the Browns since the end of the Sam Rutigliano head coaching era, and I'll go to my death bed convinced that for ONE season, Josh Gordon was the most dominant Browns player I've ever seen. Gordon was a second round draft pick of the Browns in the 2012 Supplemental Draft out of Baylor, and had a solid rookie season, catching 50 balls for 805 yards (16.1 avg) and 5 touchdowns. He would miss the first two games of the 2014 season due to a failed drug test, then would just flat-out dominate, catching 87 passes for 1646 yards (18.9 avg) and 9 touchdowns. He put up these Madden Playstation numbers with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden starting 13 of the Browns games, going 1-12. (Brian Hoyer went 3-0 in his starts). 

Its been a shitshow since. Between 2014-2017, Gordon played in 11 games combined, due to failed alcohol/drug tests. He missed both the 2015 and 2016 seasons entirely. The Browns finally pulled the plug on Gordon by trading him to New England in 2018, but he voluntarily left the active roster amid a potential indefinite suspension. Returned in 2019, to only get suspended in 2020. Reinstated in 2021 and played for Kansas City, then played for Tennessee in 2022. 

A tale of two Josh Gordons:

2012/2013: 30 games, 137 rec, 2451 yards, 17.9 avg, 14 touchdowns
2014-2022: 47 games, 115 rec, 1833 yards, 15.9 avg, 7 touchdowns

sh gordon.webp

Yeah, not a lot of competition for him wearing #12.  Vinny was the QB of our 11-5 team but it was sometimes hard to differentiate if he was the driver or the passenger.

Those Potsy Gordon numbers were impressive at times; but it was hard to depend on him for any length of time.

Speaking of that, the 1 season the Browns could count on Braylon Edwards in 2007 - check out the numbers he produced and TDs in particular:

SEASON TM GP REC TRG REC/G YDS AVG YPG TD LNG ATT ATT/G YDS YPC YPG TD LNG TOT YDS TOT TD FUM LOST

2007 CLE 16 80 153 5.0 1,289 16.1 80.6 16 78 0 0.0 0   0.0 0   1,289 16 3 2

We're so damn close, the train is almost at the station. In fact, we are Donovan Peoples-Jones days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. DPJ was a five star high school player from Cass Tech High School out of Detroit, and for reasons unknown, he decided to play college ball at TSUN. He would leave after his junior year, after a somewhat disappointing college career. In three seasons with TTUN, he caught 103 passes for 1327 yards (12.9 avg) and 14 touchdowns. He added two more touchdowns on special teams returns. 

The Browns would take Peoples-Jones in the 6th round of the 2020 Draft, and he's been a great value pick for Andrew Berry. In three seasons for the Browns, he has caught 109 passes for 1740 yards (an impressive 16 yards a catch) and 8 touchdowns. 

donovan peoples jones.jpeg

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We're so damn close, the train is almost at the station. In fact, we are Donovan Peoples-Jones days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. DPJ was a five star high school player from Cass Tech High School out of Detroit, and for reasons unknown, he decided to play college ball at TSUN. He would leave after his junior year, after a somewhat disappointing college career. In three seasons with TTUN, he caught 103 passes for 1327 yards (12.9 avg) and 14 touchdowns. He added two more touchdowns on special teams returns. 

The Browns would take Peoples-Jones in the 6th round of the 2020 Draft, and he's been a great value pick for Andrew Berry. In three seasons for the Browns, he has caught 109 passes for 1740 yards (an impressive 16 yards a catch) and 8 touchdowns. 

donovan peoples jones.jpeg

Nice write-up!  I like the Peoples-Choice.  I got me a feeling he's ready for a breakout season...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Nice write-up!  I like the Peoples-Choice.  I got me a feeling he's ready for a breakout season...

i am jacked for the season to start . I mean i wish i had a house,condo something in Cleveland for football season

We're almost to single digits, as we are Kelly Holcomb days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Holcomb was an undrafted free agent out of Middle Tennessee State signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1995, and would move on to the Indianapolis Colts and be a backup from 1996-2000. Signed by the Browns, he was Tim Couch's backup at first, but would play well in short stints in the lineup, which eventually started the "new" Browns first QB controversy. Couch would get hurt at the end of the 2002 Browns season, as they were making their first playoff push since they had returned in 1999. In stepped Holcomb, and he threw for an outstanding 429 yards and three touchdowns vs the Steelers in their Wild Card playoff game, but the defense faltered down the stretch, blowing a huge lea, and eventually the game. Holcomb would end up being named starter the next year, but injuries and mediocre play ended his future as a Browns starter. He'd be replaced by Jeff Garcia the next season, and in 2005 moved on to Buffalo, then Philadelphia, and finally Minnesota. He would retire after the 2007 season.  For his career, Holcomb started 24 games, 12 of them with the Browns, plus one remarkable playoff game. 

kelly holcomb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We're almost to single digits, as we are Kelly Holcomb days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Holcomb was an undrafted free agent out of Middle Tennessee State signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1995, and would move on to the Indianapolis Colts and be a backup from 1996-2000. Signed by the Browns, he was Tim Couch's backup at first, but would play well in short stints in the lineup, which eventually started the "new" Browns first QB controversy. Couch would get hurt at the end of the 2002 Browns season, as they were making their first playoff push since they had returned in 1999. In stepped Holcomb, and he threw for an outstanding 429 yards and three touchdowns vs the Steelers in their Wild Card playoff game, but the defense faltered down the stretch, blowing a huge lea, and eventually the game. Holcomb would end up being named starter the next year, but injuries and mediocre play ended his future as a Browns starter. He'd be replaced by Jeff Garcia the next season, and in 2005 moved on to Buffalo, then Philadelphia, and finally Minnesota. He would retire after the 2007 season.  For his career, Holcomb started 24 games, 12 of them with the Browns, plus one remarkable playoff game. 

kelly holcomb.jpeg

NICE!  When I lived in Nashville, I always listened to the sports radio station "The Fan."  As you said Holcomb played at Middle TN State University so in his life after playing - he was a commentator for MTSU.  They had Holcomb  as a guest on the radio 1 morning talking football with hosts Frank Wycheck and Mark Howard. 

All of a sudden they asked what he liked to do when he wasn't working.  He said he has a good friend Tim in KY that he likes to go hunting with.  Then the host said "Wait a minute!  That wouldn't be Tim Couch - would it?"  He said, "Yeah, he's a very good friend of mine.  We were in each other's weddings and our wives are also close friends."  Of course the host reminded him he thought there was a big QB controversy in Cleveland and you 2 guys hated each other.  Holcomb replied "that couldn't have been further from the truth; but it definitely helped sell newspapers in Cleveland at the time."  Why do I get the feeling Mary Kay Cabot was all over this like she was pouncing on her vibrator?  Kelly added, Tim never stopped being a great friend and teammate when I got the opportunity to play.  He told me you got this and I got you."   That all may not be word for word - but it's pretty fricken close.

Long story short, I learned something new that morning...

• Like 1

Well what do you know about this.... syd started this what feels like a million years ago, and here we are at Matt Bahr days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Bahr was a soccer player and place kicker at Penn State, and was a 6th round pick in the 1979 Draft by Pittsburgh. He'd get a Super Bowl ring his rookie season, play one more season in Yinzerville before moving on to San Francisco, who dealt him during his first season with them to Cleveland. Bahr would spend the rest of the 80s with the Browns, becoming a fan favorite. He'd get cut by the Browns during the preseason in 1990, and would catch on with the Giants later on that season when their starting kicker went down with an injury. He'd end up with another Super Bowl ring, as his five field goals were all the points the Giants scored to with the NFC Championship, and he'd kick the deciding field goal in the Super Bowl in the GIants upset win over Buffalo. He'd go to Philadelphia at the start of the 1993 season, then on to New England the rest of the season until his last season of 1995. 

How radically has kicking in the NFL changed? Well, Cade York made 75% of his field goals last season and he ranked 31st of all kickers. Matt Bahr was considered by most Browns fans as a solid, dependable kicker that was worthy of kicking for a Super Bowl contender of the mid to late 80s. Well, in his career, he made 300 of 415 career field goals... a 72.3% success rate. He didn't have a super strong leg, making only 6 of 23 career 50 yard or longer attempts, but strangely enough his longest career field goal (55 yards) was made during his last season with the Patriots, when he was 39 years old. 

matt bahr.jpg

The excitement for the upcoming season is palpable, gentlemen. I can feel it all the way in the cockles of my heart. Perhaps, even, the sub-cockle area. I'm going to need you fine people to temper your enthusiasm. But then again, how do I tell you guys to temper your enthusiasm and at the same time tell you that we are Kevin Hogan days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Now, you might be asking yourself, "Dutch, why did you pick Kevin Hogan of all people to profile?"

Well, allow me to retort, again. First, I'm doing these profiles, and I do whats I want. Second, Kevin Hogan was the focus of the strangest love affair for a Browns player by a Browns fan I've ever seen. PoeticG, where ever you are you goofy bastard, you loved you some Kevin Hogan. It was baffling for everyone else to read, but I won't lie, so damn entertaining. Unlike a prominent member of this message board's love affairs for Brady Quinn and Baker Mayfield, which always struck me as sexual in nature, your love for Kevin Hogan was a pure, simple love. It was adorable. 

Anyways, Hogan was one of the more experienced college QBs you'd ever see entering the NFL when he was drafted in the 2016 Draft by Kansas City in the 5th round. He started 46 games for Stanford from 2012-2015, and the Cardinal won 3 of 4 Pac 12 Titles in those four years, and 2 of 3 Rose Bowls in that time frame too. Hogan would be released after his rookie training camp by the Chiefs, and picked up by the Browns. During his rookie season he filled in for an injured Cody Kessler, and became the second Browns QB ever to run for 100 or more yards in a game. He was traded after the 2017 season by the Browns to Washington, and has bounced around the NFL since then, also playing for Denver, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Houston and Tennessee again, as of last season. In his nine career games played, eight came with the Browns, including his one carer start. 

kevin hogan.jpeg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The excitement for the upcoming season is palpable, gentlemen. I can feel it all the way in the cockles of my heart. Perhaps, even, the sub-cockle area. I'm going to need you fine people to temper your enthusiasm. But then again, how do I tell you guys to temper your enthusiasm and at the same time tell you that we are Kevin Hogan days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Now, you might be asking yourself, "Dutch, why did you pick Kevin Hogan of all people to profile?"

Well, allow me to retort, again. First, I'm doing these profiles, and I do whats I want. Second, Kevin Hogan was the focus of the strangest love affair for a Browns player by a Browns fan I've ever seen. PoeticG, where ever you are you goofy bastard, you loved you some Kevin Hogan. It was baffling for everyone else to read, but I won't lie, so damn entertaining. Unlike a prominent member of this message board's love affairs for Brady Quinn and Baker Mayfield, which always struck me as sexual in nature, your love for Kevin Hogan was a pure, simple love. It was adorable. 

Anyways, Hogan was one of the more experienced college QBs you'd ever see entering the NFL when he was drafted in the 2016 Draft by Kansas City in the 5th round. He started 46 games for Stanford from 2012-2015, and the Cardinal won 3 of 4 Pac 12 Titles in those four years, and 2 of 3 Rose Bowls in that time frame too. Hogan would be released after his rookie training camp by the Chiefs, and picked up by the Browns. During his rookie season he filled in for an injured Cody Kessler, and became the second Browns QB ever to run for 100 or more yards in a game. He was traded after the 2017 season by the Browns to Washington, and has bounced around the NFL since then, also playing for Denver, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Houston and Tennessee again, as of last season. In his nine career games played, eight came with the Browns, including his one carer start. 

kevin hogan.jpeg

If Casey Kasem was still alive, this would be the song he'd dedicate to Kevin Hogan from the 1 man show we call Poe.  

• Haha 1

Can you guys believe that we are one week away from another Browns season? That's right, we are Tom Tupa days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Tupa, who played high school football south of Cleveland, then at Ohio State, where he started at QB his senior year (2252 yards passing, 15 touchdowns, 12 interceptions) while being named an All-American as the Buckeyes punter, was a 1988 third round pick of the then Phoenix Cardinals. He'd play some QB with the Cardinals in fhe three years with them, but his QB days would end with his next gig in Indianapolis. When he moved on to the Browns in 1993, he was now strictly a punter.

And as a punter/place kick holder, he made history with the Browns, as the first NFL player to ever score on a two point conversion when a faked extra point was run in by Tupa in the 1994 season opener vs the Bengals. He'd score two more conversions that season, earning Tom the nickname "Two Point Tupa". After leaving Cleveland after the 1995 season (as did the Browns themselves), he'd play for New England, the New York Jets, Tampa Bay (where he'd win a Super Bowl) and Washington, where he'd retire after the 2005 season. 

tom tupa.jpeg

Well this turd that won't flush thread just keeps flowing down the proverbial sewage pipes to its inevitable end, isn't it? Happy Labor Day, and allow me to regale you with a story about a plucky little QB with moxie just oozing out of every orifice who was a winner as the Browns starting QB, and who wore #6. That's right you silly gooses, we are Brian Hoyer days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! 

Hoyer was born in Lakewood, raised in North Olmsted, and went to high school at St. Ignatius, starring in both football and baseball. He would go to Michigan State, and sign with New England as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He would beat out all comers and become Tom Brady's backup by the start of his rookie season, and stay in New England through the 2011 season. He'd be cut during training camp of 2012, and play with both Pittsburgh and Arizona during the season. After the season, he would sign a two year free agent contract with your Cleveland Browns. He ended up starting three games after starter Brandon Weeden broke his hip or got osteoporosis or some other old person's ailment, and won all three, but would have a season-ending injury during his third start vs Buffalo. He'd be named Browns starting QB in 2014, after both Weeden and Jason Campbell were allowed to leave, and despite the Browns wasting the 22nd overall pick on Billy Manziel. Hoyer would lead the Browns back to win from the biggest deficit in team history, when they trailed 28-3 to Tennessee in a 29-28 victory, and a 6-3 first place record. Sadly, he would struggle in the next four games, three of them losses, and the Browns would eventually turn to Billy Manziel as the starter, until he suffered a season-ending injury. After a few more late season starts, Hoyer would leave the Browns as a free agent when the season concluded.

Since 2015, Hoyer has played for Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New England (second time), Indianapolis, New England (third time) and signed with Las Vegas in 2023. He has started for seven different teams, compiling 10,668 yards, 53 touchdowns vs 35 interceptions and a 82..9 QB rating. With the Browns, the local kid had a 10-6 record as a starter. 

brian hoyer.jpeg

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well this turd that won't flush thread just keeps flowing down the proverbial sewage pipes to its inevitable end, isn't it? Happy Labor Day, and allow me to regale you with a story about a plucky little QB with moxie just oozing out of every orifice who was a winner as the Browns starting QB, and who wore #6. That's right you silly gooses, we are Brian Hoyer days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! 

Hoyer was born in Lakewood, raised in North Olmsted, and went to high school at St. Ignatius, starring in both football and baseball. He would go to Michigan State, and sign with New England as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He would beat out all comers and become Tom Brady's backup by the start of his rookie season, and stay in New England through the 2011 season. He'd be cut during training camp of 2012, and play with both Pittsburgh and Arizona during the season. After the season, he would sign a two year free agent contract with your Cleveland Browns. He ended up starting three games after starter Brandon Weeden broke his hip or got osteoporosis or some other old person's ailment, and won all three, but would have a season-ending injury during his third start vs Buffalo. He'd be named Browns starting QB in 2014, after both Weeden and Jason Campbell were allowed to leave, and despite the Browns wasting the 22nd overall pick on Billy Manziel. Hoyer would lead the Browns back to win from the biggest deficit in team history, when they trailed 28-3 to Tennessee in a 29-28 victory, and a 6-3 first place record. Sadly, he would struggle in the next four games, three of them losses, and the Browns would eventually turn to Billy Manziel as the starter, until he suffered a season-ending injury. After a few more late season starts, Hoyer would leave the Browns as a free agent when the season concluded.

Since 2015, Hoyer has played for Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New England (second time), Indianapolis, New England (third time) and signed with Las Vegas in 2023. He has started for seven different teams, compiling 10,668 yards, 53 touchdowns vs 35 interceptions and a 82..9 QB rating. With the Browns, the local kid had a 10-6 record as a starter. 

brian hoyer.jpeg 

That guy had a lot of moxie; and his coaches and teammates really liked him.  What he did without high expectations in such a short time put a positive stamp on that #6 jersey.  Others have tried to live up to it and just fell short... Those smiles above just tell it like it is... 😁

• Like 1