THE BROWNS BOARD

~  AND  ~   🏈   only  204 days  and now 92 ? 57 ? 32 ? 19 ? YES really ! And still counting...  🏈   ....​​​​​​​🔥

syd

Time to gird your loins, gentlemen, because we are now Alex Mack days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Mack was another first round OLineman the Browns drafted in the 2000s, out of Cal Berkeley. In the seven seasons Mack manned the Center position for the Browns (2009-2015), he was a three time Pro Bowler. His season-ending injury in a blowout win in Pittsburgh marked the beginning of the end of the promising 2014 season. He'd move on to Atlanta in 2016 in free agency, going to three more Pro Bowls in four years, then finish his career in San Francisco with one more Pro Bowl before retiring prior to training camp, 2022.  

alex mack.webp

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Time to gird your loins, gentlemen, because we are now Alex Mack days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Mack was another first round OLineman the Browns drafted in the 2000s, out of Cal Berkeley. In the seven seasons Mack manned the Center position for the Browns (2009-2015), he was a three time Pro Bowler. His season-ending injury in a blowout win in Pittsburgh marked the beginning of the end of the promising 2014 season. He'd move on to Atlanta in 2016 in free agency, going to three more Pro Bowls in four years, then finish his career in San Francisco with one more Pro Bowl before retiring prior to training camp, 2022.  

alex mack.webp

Alex Mack,  solid pick, good player did his 13 year career the right way.   And because I've always been a stats guy,  and always believed in a follow the money  plus  the  "other"  hidden numbers and stories.    And of course the character of the player a big plus in my book.

Paychecks are a favorite of mine Mr Alex Mack did very well there,  the BROWNS also did well with Mack at center a few " other"  hidden stats.  In his 13 year career how many fines or suspensions did he have ..... give up ?   ONE in 13 years  that's it.  A forfeited  $5,000 minor offense  that's it.   Some players have a mile long rap sheet (NO names or details needed).  

Oh the BIG NUMBERS he did very well, same for the Cleveland BROWNS.     :D 

★  To uncrunch the numbers  in  13 fine years  Mack earned   $83,228,068  in GAMEDAY  checks.   He did it right and retired a wealthy  NFL  interior lineman.   That gets  4★ of 4  in my books.     Enjoy your and your family's  retirement together.    🏈     i love happy  endings.

▪︎ 13 seasons ▪︎  $59,595,000$15,175,000$900,000$200,000$1,000,000$4,800,000$1,308,068 ▪︎ $82,978,068. 2023$250,000------$250,000$59,845,000$15,175,000$900,000$200,000$1,000,000$4,800,000$1,308,068.  ▪︎ $83,228,068 ▪︎

SEASONSTEAMSALARYSIGNING BONUSROSTER BONUSWORKOUT BONUSRESTRUCTURE BONUSOPTION BONUSINCENTIVETOTAL CASH7 seasonsPlayer Cash Earnings$25,670,000-$500,000$200,000-$4,800,000$1,230,000$32,400,0005 seasonsPlayer Cash Earnings$32,500,000$11,500,000--$1,000,000-$78,068$45,078,0681 seasonsPlayer Cash Earnings$1,425,000$3,675,000$400,000----$5,500,000

• Thanks 1

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I just realized today that the Browns Training Camp starts Saturday down in West Virginia, but I didn't forget that we are now Linebacker Andra "Don't Confuse Me With The Wide Receiver The Browns Drafted With The Similar Name" Davis days from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Davis was a 5th round pick out of Florida in 2002, and was a special team player his rookie season before starting for the next six seasons at MLB. He was a stout (6'1, 255lbs) tackling machine, routinely racking up well over 100 tackles a season. He finished his career with one season in Denver and two in Buffalo. 

andra davis.jpeg

• Like 1

For the Cleveland BROWNS  the forgotten jersey number would be the number would be the number  54  over time. 

That would be pretty much a good statement.    But a few good ones coming up ...... soon.    :)

Well we couldn't be having any more fun if we all had Russian hookers pee on us, could we boys? Well try this on for size, we are only Joe Schobert days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Schobert was taken with a fourth round pick out of Wisconsin in 2016, coming off winning the Jack Lambert Trophy for the best college linebacker. He started four games at OLB for Ray Horton's 3-4 defense (remember Ray Horton's old man cornrows? Pepperidge Farms remembers) in his rookie season, then started at MLB for the next three seasons with the Browns, going to the Pro Bowl in 2017. After the 2019 season he left Cleveland in free agency for Jacksonville, who traded him after a season to Pittsburgh. After the 2021 season with the Steelers, they released Schobert. He signed and was released by Denver in August of 2022, then played briefly for Tennessee. As far as I can tell, he is not on a NFL roster for the 2023 season yet. 

joe schobert.jpeg

• Like 2

Well we couldn't be having any more fun if we all had Russian hookers pee on us, could we boys? Well try this on for size, we are only Joe Schobert days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Schobert was taken with a fourth round pick out of Wisconsin in 2016, coming off winning the Jack Lambert Trophy for the best college linebacker. He started four games at OLB for Ray Horton's 3-4 defense (remember Ray Horton's old man cornrows? Pepperidge Farms remembers) in his rookie season, then started at MLB for the next three seasons with the Browns, going to the Pro Bowl in 2017. After the 2019 season he left Cleveland in free agency for Jacksonville, who traded him after a season to Pittsburgh. After the 2021 season with the Steelers, they released Schobert. He signed and was released by Denver in August of 2022, then played briefly for Tennessee. As far as I can tell, he is not on a NFL roster for the 2023 season yet. 

joe schobert.jpeg

I really liked what he made of himself in Cleveland regardless of the short career thereafter. In appreciation of the post here's a little biscuit for our closet country music fan.

• Haha 1

Just in the nick of time, we are now D'Qwell Jackson days until the start of the 2023 season. Jackson was a 2006 second round pick of the Browns out of Maryland. Jackson was one of the longest tenured Browns of the 1999 and on era, playing in Cleveland for eight seasons, leading the AFC twice in tackles (2008 and 2011). He was a salary cap casualty after the 2013 season, and he would play his final three NFL seasons in Indianapolis. His interception of Tom Brady in a playoff loss to the Patriots started the "Deflategate" controversy. 

d'qwell jackson.jpeg

D'Quell Jackson gets it in quality numbers over a few others like Dick Ambrose, Billy Andrews  (tounge twisters) and even ol' Pepper Johnson.  Moving on  ......

As we head towards the weekend, we are now Eddie "The Assassin" Johnson days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Johnson was a seventh round pick of the Browns in 1981, out of Louisville. He started his career as a special teams player, not becoming a full-time starter at one of the inside linebacker spots of Marty Shottenheimer's 3-4 defense until 1984. Between 1984-86, he would amass an amazing 437 tackles! He would remain a starter through the 1988 season, but a change to the 4-3 defense with the arrival of Bud Carson relegated Johnson to backup status. He was released during the 1991 training camp by the Browns, and would retire soon after. He was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2000, and would sadly pass away at the age of 43 on January 21, 2003. He was one of my first favorite Browns players, rest in peace, Eddie. 

eddie johnson.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Absolutely NO doubt on #51  EJ.  No other real competition there.  Some all favorites and an unusual number selection coming up soon.

GO BROWNS  !

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just in the nick of time, we are now D'Qwell Jackson days until the start of the 2023 season. Jackson was a 2006 second round pick of the Browns out of Maryland. Jackson was one of the longest tenured Browns of the 1999 and on era, playing in Cleveland for eight seasons, leading the AFC twice in tackles (2008 and 2011). He was a salary cap casualty after the 2013 season, and he would play his final three NFL seasons in Indianapolis. His interception of Tom Brady in a playoff loss to the Patriots started the "Deflategate" controversy. 

d'qwell jackson.jpeg

Well done - Thanks!  He was a very reliable player and great leader. At 1 time, it felt like he was little overrated because his large tackle volume was mostly downfield in pursuit angles as opposed to being around the line of scrimmage vrs the point of attack. Not that there's ever anything wrong with consistently hustling and tackling. Having said that, I read somewhere that former Saint LB/FA acquisition Scot Fujita significantly helped D'Qwell out a lot in the film room with identifying specific formations and various stances from offensive linemen of opponents tipping off tendencies in various situations.  As a result, much more of Jackson's tackles were taking place at the line of scrimmage so I'm sure he was happy there were far less comparisons to Wali Rainer.

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Absolutely NO doubt on #51  EJ.  No other real competition there.  Some all favorites and an unusual number selection coming up soon.

GO BROWNS  !

He was definitely a fan fave.  Frank Minnifield, who also played at Louisville, said Eddie was quite a mentor when he arrived in Cleveland from the USFL.  He said Eddie told him 1 time "that showboat stuff ain't gonna fly here. You are now a professional that is supposed to make plays."  Eddie Johnson and Mike Johnson were great LBers for us in the 80s.  Almost sounds like a commercial for band aids - "The hits are brought to you by Johnson and Johnson."  

Yeah, they were definitely a big hit in Cleveland...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All the Browns have reported to Training Camp now with us only Vince Costello days left until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Costello, a son of Italian immigrants, grew up in a little town south of Canton named Magnolia. (My grandmother, a daughter of Italian immigrants, grew up in the same area). Vince was a three sport star at Magnolia High, and actually went to Ohio University on a basketball scholarship. He only played roundball for one year for the Bobcats, instead focusing on football and baseball while in Athens. The NFL did not draft Costello, and he signed a minor league contract with the Cincinnati Reds. He played in their farm system for four years, while also serving in the Air Force ROTC during that time. He was invited to the Browns training camp in 1956 because a former assistant coach during his time at Ohio U was now on Paul Browns coaching staff. A hamstring injury torpedoed his shot initially, but after another invite the next year, Costello made the Browns. He immediately started at middle linebacker in his rookie season of 1957, and would hold that job through the 1966 season. He had an interception of Johnny Unitas in the 1964 NFL Championship, helping the Browns shutout the heavily favored Colts. He was traded to the NY Giants for a 6th round draft pick, where he would play his final two seasons before retiring. He then was an assistant coach on a few different teams after, including working with his first head coach, Paul Brown, now in Cincinnati. 

vince costello.jpeg

• Like 1

Vince Costello was a good player from the older Cleveland BROWNS  1957-1966 era.  A solid pick.

I had a favorite from the Woody Hays and OHIO STATE  years and later a Cleveland BROWNS player  from 1982-1985 and only 38 games  Tom Cousineau.  A lot of Buckeyes football in a short time. 

....... edit add ... my mother when I was a kid had friends from Magnolia,  I never forgot that name.   

ALSO Cousineau is a volunteer with the Akron Hoban high school football team. 

● AND....  I had to look this one up ....... why the shorter NFL career for a #1 pick....... Cousineau was drafted first overall in the 1979 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills, who acquired the pick as a part of a package of five draft picks from the San Francisco 49ers in a 1978 trade for O. J. Simpson.[13] However, he never played a game for the Bills. He instead signed with the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes, who signed him for double the money originally offered by the Bills. Cousineau became a star for the Alouettes, becoming the Grey Cup Most Valuable Player in the 1979 season. He only played in four games in his third season because of an elbow injury while the Alouettes collapsed.[9]

In 1982, Cousineau wanted to return to the NFL, choosing to forego two optional years with the Alouettes. The Houston Oilers attempted to sign him, but the Bills (who still held Cousineau's NFL rights) matched the offer. Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell had long been interested in signing him.[9] Cousineau was then traded from the Bills to the Cleveland Browns for a first-round draft choice (14th overall) in the 1983 NFL Draft, plus a second and a third draft choice in subsequent years.[14] That first-round pick was used on future Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. Cousineau signed a five-year contract for $2.5 million, the highest contract ever at the time by the Browns.

~  NOW here's a classic BROWNS  LB picture from 1983.   Chip Banks, Clay Matthews,  Dick Ambrose  and  Tom Cousineau.     Only  $499 from Getty pictures who has copyrighted  everything out there ..... now.

gettyimages-164247911-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by mjp28
  • Like 2

I found this Tom Cousineau story interesting  with the  .... Bills, CFL, Houston, BROWNS,  SF ...... and so what was the HOT   in demand   #1 pick in the   entire  1979 NFL Draft actually worth ?    So let's follow the money and see ...... (right up mjp's alley).  A  #1 pick would be from  $20-$30+  Million/ year today.   Mayfield got $33M.     From OSU Marketing major Tom  Cousineau  himself .

.......Tom Cousineau's major while an he was an undergraduate at Ohio State was marketing, which is appropriate, for Cousineau has marketed his football skills as well as any professional athlete. Although he has never played a down in the National Football League, Cousineau has a starting position - weakside inside linebacker - waiting for him, along with a salary reported to be $500,000 a year, which will make him one of the highest paid players in the National Football League.

After Buffalo made Cousineau the first player taken in the 1979 N.F.L. draft, he spurned the Bills and played for three seasons with the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. The Alouettes had paid him $150,000 a year plus a $200,000 signing bonus. He became a free agent last March and, after seven weeks of weighing many inquiries, Cousineau signed a five-year contract reported to be worth $3.5 million with the Browns.

'It Worked for Me'

I guess it did  Tom and Art Modell and the BROWNS  too.  Five year 3.5M deal  or $700,000/ year.    ( I always wanted him as a Cleveland BROWNS player  .... eventually. )  

AND the Bills got Jim Kelly in the now famous 1983 quarterback class trade for Cousineau plus two additional picks.  They ended up happy with that deal.  SF got OJ, eh ?

What a deal.    (Nice topic syd,  it all starts with an individual jersey number) 

25 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I found this Tom Cousineau story interesting  with the  .... Bills, CFL, Houston, BROWNS,  SF ...... and so what was the HOT   in demand   #1 pick in the   entire  1979 NFL Draft actually worth ?    So let's follow the money and see ...... (right up mjp's alley).  A  #1 pick would be from  $20-$30+  Million/ year today.   Mayfield got $33M.     From OSU Marketing major Tom  Cousineau  himself .

.......Tom Cousineau's major while an he was an undergraduate at Ohio State was marketing, which is appropriate, for Cousineau has marketed his football skills as well as any professional athlete. Although he has never played a down in the National Football League, Cousineau has a starting position - weakside inside linebacker - waiting for him, along with a salary reported to be $500,000 a year, which will make him one of the highest paid players in the National Football League.

After Buffalo made Cousineau the first player taken in the 1979 N.F.L. draft, he spurned the Bills and played for three seasons with the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. The Alouettes had paid him $150,000 a year plus a $200,000 signing bonus. He became a free agent last March and, after seven weeks of weighing many inquiries, Cousineau signed a five-year contract reported to be worth $3.5 million with the Browns.

'It Worked for Me'

I guess it did  Tom and Art Modell and the BROWNS  too.  Five year 3.5M deal  or $700,000/ year.    ( I always wanted him as a Cleveland BROWNS player  .... eventually. )  

AND the Bills got Jim Kelly in the trade for Cousineau plus two additional picks.  They ended up happy with that deal.  SF got OJ, eh ?

What a deal.    (Nice topic syd,  it all starts with an individual jersey number) 

Interesting story!

My guy tomorrow has an interesting trade story too.... stay tuned!

• mjp28 changed the title to ~  AND  ~   🏈   only  204 days  and counting, now only 92 ? 50 ? YES really !    🏈   ....​​​​​​​

We are only seven weeks out - Bobby Mitchell days left to be exact - until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Mitchell was possibly the most talented offensive weapon the Browns ever had, considering his ability to beat you running the ball, catching the ball, or receiving the ball. Bobby was a seventh round pick of the Browns in the 1958 Draft out of Illinois, and was the perfect halfback compliment to Jim Brown at fullback - which makes Paul Brown's decision to trade him to Washington puzzling, even for a talent like Syracuse RB Ernie Davis, who was more like Brown. Washington, owned by well-known bigot George Preston Marshall, was still an all-white team in 1962. Forced by the U.S. government to integrate his team or get kicked out of the publicly-financed DC Stadium (later re-named for one of the men who forced Marshall to integrate his team, Robert Kennedy, after his assassination) the Redskins drafted Ernie Davis. Paul Brown was enamored with the Syracuse star, and sent Mitchell to Washington for him. Davis would shortly after be diagnosed with leukemia, and never played a down for the Browns.

In the four years Mitchell played for the Browns, he amassed 2297 yards rushing, 1463 yards receiving, 607 yards in punt returns and 1550 yards in kickoff returns, and 38 total touchdowns. When he moved on to Washington, he was moved from halfback to flanker (wide receiver) and would end his career with 14,078 combined yards and 91 touchdowns. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983, and Washington retired his number 49 after his death in 2020, at age 84.

bobby mitchell.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

We are only seven weeks out - Bobby Mitchell days left to be exact - until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Mitchell was possibly the most talented offensive weapon the Browns ever had, considering his ability to beat you running the ball, catching the ball, or receiving the ball. Bobby was a seventh round pick of the Browns in the 1958 Draft out of Illinois, and was the perfect halfback compliment to Jim Brown at fullback - which makes Paul Brown's decision to trade him to Washington puzzling, even for a talent like Syracuse RB Ernie Davis, who was more like Brown. Washington, owned by well-known bigot George Preston Marshall, was still an all-white team in 1962. Forced by the U.S. government to integrate his team or get kicked out of the publicly-financed DC Stadium (later re-named for one of the men who forced Marshall to integrate his team, Robert Kennedy, after his assassination) the Redskins drafted Ernie Davis. Paul Brown was enamored with the Syracuse star, and sent Mitchell to Washington for him. Davis would shortly after be diagnosed with leukemia, and never played a down for the Browns.

In the four years Mitchell played for the Browns, he amassed 2297 yards rushing, 1463 yards receiving, 607 yards in punt returns and 1550 yards in kickoff returns, and 38 total touchdowns. When he moved on to Washington, he was moved from halfback to flanker (wide receiver) and would end his career with 14,078 combined yards and 91 touchdowns. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983, and Washington retired his number 49 after his death in 2020, at age 84.

bobby mitchell.jpeg

Well done Dutch!  Any RB that impressed Jim Brown was worthy of high praise; and the numbers you shared support the respect he earned. The way his career unfolded sounds very similar to the way Eric Metcalf's career went.  Metcalf became far more effective as a slot receiver after Cleveland than the Browns ever allowed him to be as a RB.  It would have been nice if the Browns had the wherewithal to try using him in the slot where access to open fields was easier.   Mitchell was a better RB than Metcalf as was Leroy Hoard when he finally got the chance to start.  

Poor Ernie Davis was diagnosed with Leukemia before his NFL career ever had a chance to launch.  It almost makes you wonder if the Washington Redskins knew he had Leukemia before they traded the guy they selected 1st overall to Cleveland.  Seems weird a guy would go from that gotta-have to let's trade him (unless there was something scary going on with his health like unexplained weight loss or an onset nose bleeds). 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

bobby mitchell.jpeg

First no doubt on the  HOF Class of 1983  #49 Bobby Mitchell as a player with Cleveland or Washington.    

Second there are absolutely no real notable players on the Cleveland BROWNS that have ever worn the #49.

NOW  the important stuff,  after the 1961 season I was 11 going on 12 during the 1962 season   - but -  wait- my Cleveland BROWNS  traded  #49  Bobby Mitchell to the Washington Redskins   WHAT !    THEY CANT DO THAT !   How can you break up the Greatest  1-2 punch running game on earth with the Greatest JIM BROWN + Bobby Mitchell.   Take it back.  Why ?      (and i never liked the Redskins after that) 

Well I was young back then and in time I would understand and get over it ...... yeah maybe 20 or 30 years,  lol.   And the BROWNS  did win it all in 1964 but my next crushed psyche attack was coming up when I was 14 .... JIM BROWN  RETIRES at the top of his career, 9 years.  Led the NFL in rushing  8 of 9 years.  Why ?   HE CANT DO THAT !    

Our beloved Cleveland BROWNS  who needs a shrink ?      GO BROWNS  ! 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps you are feeling persecuted, like there is an evil conspiracy to do you in... Well fear not! Throw off your tin foil hat and rejoice, for we are Ernie Green days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Another excellent Browns running back that gets overshadowed by his teammate, Green was a 14th round pick of the Green Bay Packers in 1962, but was traded by Vince Lombardi to the Browns in training camp. Green would play sparingly for the Browns his rookie season, but would be the replacement the Browns were looking for to fill the departed Bobby Mitchell. When Jim Brown retired after the 1965 season, Green slid in to his fullback position, and went to two consecutive Pro Bowls. Injured during a 1968 preseason game, he played little that season, and would retire shortly after. Green rushed for 3204 yards and 15 touchdowns, and added 195 receptions for 2036 yards and another 20 touchdowns. 

ernie green.jpeg

First,   wlll  #48 Ernie Green   like the previous  #49  but just good but not a real BIG standout name.  He's no Jim Brown  or Bobby Mitchell    -but-   who is ? 

And second like  #49  there are no other players even close to Ernie Green's numbers.   Well  here they are NOT spectacular  but good enough.  ( I was worried that we might have our first  no winner !     OMG. and  No pictures.    ( and like magic his ink switched from black to red ĺ.    :o  

Good but not great in Cleveland,  Ohio.

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV Awards
Career       89 76 668 3204 15 73 4.8 36.0 7.5 195 2036 10.4 20 69 2.2 22.9 863 6.1 5240 35 11 60  
1962 24 CLE HB 48 13 4 31 139 0 45 4.5 10.7 2.4 17 194 11.4 1 65 1.3 14.9 48 6.9 333 1 2 4  
1963 25 CLE HB 48 14 12 87 526 0 73 6.0 37.6 6.2 28 305 10.9 3 35 2.0 21.8 115 7.2 831 3 2 9  
1964 26 CLE HB 48 14 14 109 491 6 37 4.5 35.1 7.8 25 283 11.3 4 32 1.8 20.2 134 5.8 774 10 1 10  
1965 27 CLE HB 48 13 13 111 436 2 41 3.9 33.5 8.5 25 298 11.9 2 69 1.9 22.9 136 5.4 734 4 3 8  
1966* 28 CLE FB 48 14 14 144 750 3 35 5.2 53.6 10.3 45 445 9.9 6 31 3.2 31.8 189 6.3 1195 9 2 14 PB
1967* 29 CLE FB 48 13 12 145 710 4 59 4.9 54.6 11.2 39 369 9.5 2 41 3.0 28.4 184 5.9 1079 6 1 11 PB
1968 30 CLE RB 48 8 7 41 152 0 14 3.7 19.0 5.1 16 142 8.9 2 62 2.0 17.8 57 5.2 294 2 0 4  

The journey to the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns continues on, seeing that it is Fullback Lawrence Vickers days until the Browns kickoff vs the Bengals. Vickers was a sixth rounder in 2006 out of Colorado, and took over the starting fullback position in 2007, helping Jamal Lewis have a very good year. The next season, Vickers would be a Pro Bowl alternate at fullback. Strange Vickers fact: He scored three touchdowns for the Browns - all pass receptions vs the Steelers. 

lawrence vickers.jpeg

And at #47 we have one   Mr Lawrence Vickers   in what was an apparent commitment to establish a running game.   And he was picked in the same draft class as the  Cleveland BROWNS  number one pick in draft that year at  OT  Mr Joe Thomas.   Yes the same Joe Thomas that will be enshrined in the  NFL HALL of FAME  this coming AUGUST 5th.

And second there are NO other #47 players that can come close to Mr Lawrence Vickers.

That all makes sense now.    :mellow:

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And at #47 we have one   Mr Lawrence Vickers   in what was an apparent commitment to establish a running game.   And he was picked in the same draft class as the  Cleveland BROWNS  number one pick in draft that year at  OT  Mr Joe Thomas.   Yes the same Joe Thomas that will be enshrined in the  NFL HALL of FAME  this coming AUGUST 5th.

And second there are NO other #47 players that can come close to Mr Lawrence Vickers.

That all makes sense now.    :mellow:

Vickers was a 2006 draft pick, Thomas was in 2007. 

But yes, it was pretty slim pickings with #47 and the Browns. 

We are now at Don Fleming days left until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Fleming grew up in Shadyside, Ohio and played football and baseball for the University of Florida. A 1959 draft pick of the Chicago Cardinals, Fleming forgo the NFL to play another year of college baseball for the Gators, and the now St. Louis Cardinals traded Fleming in 1960 to the Browns. Over the next three seasons, Fleming would regularly play safety, nabbing ten interceptions, four fumble recoveries and being named to the Sporting News All-NFL team in 1962.

During the football season, he and his wife lived in Shadyside, but during the offseason they lived in Florida. On June 4th, 1963, working as a construction foreman, he and a fellow coworker were electrocuted in a construction accident. Neither could be saved.  His death came only seventeen days after the death of Ernie Davis, and both had their numbers retired by the Browns. 

don fleming.jpeg

Vickers was a 2006 draft pick, Thomas was in 2007. 

But yes, it was pretty slim pickings with #47 and the Browns. 

That is TRUE .....  even though I read an article that had them in the same plan to run the football.    Hmmm, I digress there.  Made a good HOF story though.   :lol:

We are now at Don Fleming days left until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Fleming grew up in Shadyside, Ohio and played football and baseball for the University of Florida. A 1959 draft pick of the Chicago Cardinals, Fleming forgo the NFL to play another year of college baseball for the Gators, and the now St. Louis Cardinals traded Fleming in 1960 to the Browns. Over the next three seasons, Fleming would regularly play safety, nabbing ten interceptions, four fumble recoveries and being named to the Sporting News All-NFL team in 1962.

During the football season, he and his wife lived in Shadyside, but during the offseason they lived in Florida. On June 4th, 1963, working as a construction foreman, he and a fellow coworker were electrocuted in a construction accident. Neither could be saved.  His death came only seventeen days after the death of Ernie Davis, and both had their numbers retired by the Browns. 

don fleming.jpeg

The only other  #46  would be on a asterisk  *Lou Groza  from 1946-1949  -and-  1950-1951  before switching to  #76  for the rest of his fine career.   Just to complete his #46 days: 

• Stats
  Games 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Scoring   Scoring Kickoffs    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM Lng FG% XPA XPM XP% KO KOYds TB TB% KOAvg AV Awards
1946 22 CLE C 46 14 5                     2.07 0.93   44.8% 3.36 3.21 95.7%              
1947 23 CLE RT 46 12 5                     1.58 0.58   36.8% 3.50 3.25 92.9%              
1948 24 CLE LT 46 14 14                     1.36 0.57   42.1% 3.71 3.64 98.1%              
1949 25 CLE LT 46 12 12                     0.75 0.17   22.2% 2.92 2.83 97.1%              
1950* 26 CLE LT 46 10 8                     1.90 1.30   68.4% 2.90 2.90 100.0%             PB
1951* 27 CLE LT 46 12 12                     1.92 0.83   43.5% 3.58 3.58 100.0%             PB
1952*+ 28 CLE LT 76 12 12                     2.75 1.58   57.6% 2.67 2.67 100.0%             AP1, PB
1953*+ 29 CLE LT 76 12

Not even this oppressive heat can stop the inevitable fun that is an upcoming Cleveland Browns season, as we are Ernie Davis days until the start of the 2023 Browns season. Davis was a great follow-up to Jim Brown at Syracuse, in fact he wore Browns #44. In the three years he played for the Orangemen (freshman could not play back then) he helped Syracuse win the National Championship in 1959 and was named All-American the next two seasons, including winning the Heisman Trophy his senior season in 1961. He was the first black player to win the Heisman, and almost was the first black player to play for the Washington Redskins, but Davis refused to play for their racist owner, George Preston Marshall, and demanded a trade. Paul Brown quickly jumped on the chance to have an All-Syracuse backfield, and traded future Hall of Fame RB Bobby Mitchell to Washington for the first overall pick of the 1962 NFL Draft, the "Elmira Express". 

Unfortunately, Paul Brown's dream never happened. Davis had a swollen throat during the College All-Star Game practices leading up to their exhibition game vs the World Champion Green Bay Packers, and what was expected to be a case of the mumps was leukemia. Davis never played a down for the Browns, but did suit up in a Browns uniform and ran out onto the Cleveland Stadium field during a night preseason game, as a spotlight followed him. He would pass away the following May, at the age of 23. 

ernie davis.jpeg

• Upvote 1