THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns' Perrion Winfrey arrested on misdemeanor assault complaint

Korsou Dawg

21 hours ago, Flugel said:

😆 Back with Johnny Fratboy, I used to tell everyone "Relax Jim Kelly was a party animal coming out of college just like former Atlanta Falcon Brett Favre. And Kelly is still Irish."  The difference?  Favre and Kelly liked football enough to commit to it for a career.  Fratboy liked his rear view mirror and the temporary fame from it.

About our current Romper Room dilemma of "will poor little Perrion get a chance to grow up?" He's not Albert Haynesworth or he would have been a 1st round pick by a team that actually studied and scouted DTs last year.  Anyone that has a pulse knows our FO was way too smart to prioritize the DT position.  Consequently, they drafted a guy that most other teams doing their research stayed away from.  Now here comes the "Oh yeah? He was a only 4th round draft pick so what did we have to lose?"  My answer?  For a team that wasn't entering the draft until round 3 for a position group that is supposed to protect the LBers from offensive linemen AND stop the run - how'd we do?   4 LBers on IR and our staring DTs were Raggedy Ann and Andy.  It was so bad we had to use a guy that failed in Jax as a DE (Taven Bryan) in our DT rotation at times.  

So here we are celebrating FA signings like Maurice Hurst and Trysten Hill as what a terrific job this FO is doing. I did it too before I really looked into what was actually done to better the IDL personnel. YES, Tomlinson was a very good acquisition as a run stopper.  That said, Minnesota was very weak on defense and I think the Giants just rushed for another TD on them as we speak.  I bring that up because Tomlinson is going to need something more reliable than wet band aids like Trysten Hill and Maurice Hurst going tag team with him inside/upfront.   Let's be honest, we're really only wishful thinking Hill and Hurst to be something they've been incapable of thus far in the NFL.

Do we really want to be listening to another year of "Browns fans just need to be patient?"  What has this FO done to accomplish such unchallenged tenure?  They're the only ones not getting fired for how this roster has been built.  All these 1 year contracts aren't a foundation for the future - the Browns HAVE TO FREAKIN DRAFT BETTER or they stay in the basement and only coaches will get fired for the incompetence of the FO.  A FO that hasn't draft well and traded away the 1st 2 rounds for 2 consecutive years has now cornered itself into no margin of error in the draft this time around.

How are the the Browns going to compete at the IDL?     As much as I can't stand trading away any more future picks - they gotta move up and draft either Mazi Star Smith or Keeanu Benton to change the way this defense does business on game day.  That, or stick with Legally Blind fantasy football keeping Cleveland in the last place comfort zone...  

I might disagree with some of your take, but I do agree, and think, we will trade up.  We have had conversations about how the Browns don't need to draft 8 players.  That leaves trade back for a pick next year, trade up, or both.  I am not sure we will move up in to the 2nd round.  I am not going to pull out trade charts to see what the various costs might be, but if a few players we really like are there at the top of the 3rd, I see a move.  We might even be able to move up, send off a 4th rounder and pick up a extra pick next year all in one deal.

I'd add Gervin Dexter to the list of defenders you mentioned as players who might be on the target list.  We seem to have shown a lot of interest in him.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I might disagree with some of your take, but I do agree, and think, we will trade up.  We have had conversations about how the Browns don't need to draft 8 players.  That leaves trade back for a pick next year, trade up, or both.  I am not sure we will move up in to the 2nd round.  I am not going to pull out trade charts to see what the various costs might be, but if a few players we really like are there at the top of the 3rd, I see a move.  We might even be able to move up, send off a 4th rounder and pick up a extra pick next year all in one deal.

I'd add Gervin Dexter to the list of defenders you mentioned as players who might be on the target list.  We seem to have shown a lot of interest in him.

Yeah, I'm hearing Dexter is one of the guys they might be interested in.  I'm a little surprised Lindy's rates him 7th and Wisconsin's Keeanu Benton 8th with both guys getting a 7.1 grade.  I'll feel a lot better if I see the FO knows the DT position/cupboard is still a little empty in their approach to this draft.  A guy that could be in our draft slot if we don't trade up is Alabama's Byron Young (who started 5 games as a true freshman in a program that's hard to accomplish).  He closed out his 4 year career as a 2nd Team All American and I think he's flying under the radar.  Having said that, Ozzie Newsome went to Bama (and he's still helping the Ravens a lot this offseason) so that could be 1 guy that would ruin our shot at this kid if we don't trade up.    

10 hours ago, Orion said:

It’s time to pull the plug on Perrion Winfrey

CORY KINNAN
Sat, Apr 15, 2023, 12:45 PM EDT

( I personally don't think that they'll cut him )

Usually they put another batter in the batter's box after strike 3.  This article mentions Winfrey just hit strike 4 with only 1 year under his belt.  Do the Browns really need this kind of guy in the locker room?  If his head isn't clear - it's not like he's going to be easy to coach for whatever that's worth.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Usually they put another batter in the batter's box after strike 3.  This article mentions Winfrey just hit strike 4 with only 1 year under his belt.  Do the Browns really need this kind of guy in the locker room?  If his head isn't clear - it's not like he's going to be easy to coach for whatever that's worth.

I got the impression he fell in the Draft because of character concerns. Now, I'm not saying I would draft only choirboys if I was a GM, but if I did select a guy with character concerns, immediately after drafting him I would sit him down and tell him: "Here's the deal. You were a FILL IN ROUND talent who fell to the FILL IN round because of character concerns. We believe you can be an asset to the FILL IN THE BLANK football team if you grow up and act like a professional. This is not a suggestion, and this is the last time we are having this conversation. Your professional future is on you. If you put in the work, and stay out of trouble, we will do everything to help you be the best NFL player you can be. If you continue to be a problem, you will no longer be here. Deal?"

Myles Garrett was calling this out like the second week of the season. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But, but, but..................we just interviewed Gervon Dexter yesterday. For some reason that does not look like a trade up for DT according to tia.🤠

Considering I called Dex a day 2 pick...  Browns likely wouldn't have to trade up for him.  

But he does fit the height, wingspan mold that Schwartz seems to have built over the course of his drafting career.  

Not a huge fan of what showed up on film. But there could be several causes for that. Not like Florida has a great coaching staff. 

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

This article mentions Winfrey just hit strike 4 with only 1 year under his belt.  Do the Browns really need this kind of guy in the locker room?  If his head isn't clear - it's not like he's going to be easy to coach for whatever that's worth

Even though I haven't liked him since he got here and...and...what was it, he was holding out signing his contract like he was a 1st rounder?  (something like that I think).  He looks good gettin' off the bus so I'd like to see if perhaps Schwartz can make something out of him.

I don't look at the hold out as a negative.  That would have been done on the advice of his agent.  I don't recall all the specifics around that, but if the players around him were unsigned he is going to wait to see what those players received.  Also, if players around him were getting something that he wasn't being offered, that could trigger a hold out.

That is simply a matter of business and not necessarily a reflection on the player.

My feeling is to wait and see what happened.  He grabbed a woman....what exactly does that mean?

I too hope we stick with the guy and see if he can be a force for this team.  That can change if it turns out that his grabbing her resulted in a dislocated shoulder or something more than a fingernail scratch on the wrist.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I don't look at the hold out as a negative.  That would have been done on the advice of his agent.  I don't recall all the specifics around that, but if the players around him were unsigned he is going to wait to see what those players received.  Also, if players around him were getting something that he wasn't being offered, that could trigger a hold out.

I believe you are correct about this - someone above Winfrey in draft selection gummed up the works from what I remember. It wasn't Winfrey out of nowhere holding out, something above happened that threw off the contract demands below. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, Orion said:

It’s time to pull the plug on Perrion Winfrey

CORY KINNAN
Sat, Apr 15, 2023, 12:45 PM EDT

( I personally don't think that they'll cut him )

Well Jimmy Haslam is the owner so nothing would surprise me.  Believe it or not, the holdout didn't really bother me as strange as it was. The thing that jumped out at me in the article you shared is this cut and paste from it. "And the Browns experienced that rockiness in the first year of his NFL career. From being benched in a preseason game for being late to practice, to getting suspended from a regular season game for continued tardiness, to sustaining a concussion from getting into a scooter accident...  It's the trend of him showing up late to work for a sport/career/profession he's supposed to love.  When that's a trend, how much more can you show your employer that you just don't care?  Teenagers show up late to jobs when it's something like washing dishes.  That's because it's just a job - not a career.  For an NFL team in need of a legit starter and/or quality help for the rotation - Winfrey's attitude left a lot to be desired toward the 1st/only team willing to take him 4 rounds into the draft.

The Browns almost have to keep him beyond the draft and into training camp. A kinder, less caffeinated Flugel suddenly thinks we need to see how he he responds to the adversity in training camp. That said, if he doesn't bring a better attitude - I doubt Schwartz would hesitate to cut a repeating trend. In saying that, it still means Schwartz can help the guy - just not for this team.

Edited by Flugel
Kinder, less caffeinated Flugel
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Well Jimmy Haslam is the owner so nothing would surprise me.  The thing that jumped out at me in the article you shared - it's the trend of him showing up late to work for a game he's supposed to love.  When that's a trend, how much more can you show your employer that you just don't care about the profession/career?  Teenagers show up late to jobs when it's something like washing dishes.  That's because it's just a job - not a career.  For an NFL team in need of a legit starter and/or quality help for the rotation - Winfrey's attitude left a lot to be desired toward the 1st/only team willing to take him 4 rounds into the draft.

The Browns almost have to keep him beyond the draft and into training camp.  That said, if he doesn't bring a better attitude - I doubt Schwartz would hesitate to cut a repeating trend.

I said Johnny Fucktard?... Maybe I meant Corey Coleman or Josh Gordon?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, nickers said:

I said Johnny Fucktard?... Maybe I meant Corey Coleman or Josh Gordon?

Or maybe one of those one year contract veterans who signed to take the money and run to the bank rather than on the field for the Browns. So forgettable that I can't remember their names anymore.🤔

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Prior to Tomlinson being signed, PW was our most talented IDL.  So he's going to be given quite a bit of leash, even in this sort of instance.  

I'd be surprised if he was let go.  

In most cases I would think he's given this season to "Turn the corner" mentally,physically spiritually and in all ways of life.. Although we know it requires one bite at a time...

5 hours ago, nickers said:

In most cases I would think he's given this season to "Turn the corner" mentally,physically spiritually and in all ways of life.. Although we know it requires one bite at a time...

Mid-rant I started thinking it wouldn't suck for any of us if this guy showed up ready to go with some sic em, sock em, and sack em.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Mid-rant I started thinking it wouldn't suck for any of us if this guy showed up ready to go with some sic em, sock em, and sack em.

That's the hope for more of us I believe...

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

It's the trend of him showing up late to work

As a manager of a logistics operation, I hated that.  I never showed up late for work since the first day of my first ever job.  And ya know why?  Because I can tell time!

I had a worker who showed up late about once a week.  Let's call him/her Shit For Brains.  So, in one particular review I said, Shit For Brains, I can have you to work on time every day.  And SFB said, no boss, I just can't help it.  I said, I can do it.  But it'll cost the company money.  You see, every day that you punch in on time, a crisp, new, one hundred dollar bill will be spit out by the time clock.  SFB immediately said, 'Oh yeah!  I'd be on time every day!'   So I said, Well SFB, you just told me that you could be on time to work every day if you wanted to.   

Winfrey & SFB feel the same way.  It's not important to them to be on time....or to be reliable.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Prior to Tomlinson being signed, PW was our most talented IDL.  So he's going to be given quite a bit of leash, even in this sort of instance.  

I'd be surprised if he was let go.  

I agree.   Like i said, it would have to be fairly punitive.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

As a manager of a logistics operation, I hated that.  I never showed up late for work since the first day of my first ever job.  And ya know why?  Because I can tell time!

I had a worker who showed up late about once a week.  Let's call him/her Shit For Brains.  So, in one particular review I said, Shit For Brains, I can have you to work on time every day.  And SFB said, no boss, I just can't help it.  I said, I can do it.  But it'll cost the company money.  You see, every day that you punch in on time, a crisp, new, one hundred dollar bill will be spit out by the time clock.  SFB immediately said, 'Oh yeah!  I'd be on time every day!'   So I said, Well SFB, you just told me that you could be on time to work every day if you wanted to.   

Winfrey & SFB feel the same way.  It's not important to them to be on time....or to be reliable.  

🤣 Thanks for the 2 minute abs Orion!  That's a gem. 

I shared once upon a time I played on one of the dumbest football teams that ever existed my freshman year.  The crazy thing was I loved every damn one of them.  We couldn't ever go on 2 because the RT next to me couldn't count that high.  He was bigger than all of the fathers; and man he could hit-n-ruin someone.  Every time we went with a quick count, he never got out of his stance.  Every time we tried to go on 2 - he went on 1.  His 1st name was Neil.  Whenever we broke the huddle and got to the line of scrimmage - he forgot the count.  Inevitably here comes the "Hey Flugel what's it on man?"  It's on 1 Neil.  Per usual , 1 game this went on every single play for about 3 series.  Finally, the guy lined up across from me caught us off-guard with "Flugel I got this - It's on 1 Neil."   After the play, the guy asked me - "Is Neil the only one out here that doesn't know you guys go on 1 every single play?"   I said yes but I don't have the heart to tell him because then he's gonna ask me why.   He said "you guys are hilarious." 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I shared once upon a time I played on one of the dumbest football teams that ever existed my freshman year. 

Back in the day A&M had a OT who all on the team considered the dumbest ever. But Mo Moorman from Kentucky was a first round pick of the Chiefs as a LT and won the last inter-league Superbowl championship of the old AFL over the NFL Vikings in 1970. Funny thing is that with his money he "started Mo Moorman Distributing Company. The distributing company featured Coors Light, Zima, Corona, and other imports such as Stella and Dos Equis. In 2007, Mo sold the company to River City Distributing Company giving River City over 80% of the market share in the city of Louisville." Guess he was not as dumb as everyone on the team thought he was.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ballpeen said:

He grabbed a woman....what exactly does that mean?

It means generally that he's immature and specifically that he cannot control his emotions.  In the NFL as with all sports you need to be able to control yourself - not get PF's for fighting, not get offsides penalties, etc.

This doesn't just put the longevity of his NFL career in question but also makes me wonder if he is able to maintain gainful employment for more than 6 consecutive months as an adult after his time in the NFL ends.

It's a big character flaw of PW - period dot, full stop, do not pass go.

And it's just one piece in the puzzle. He's late to work, he's falling asleep at work, he's not learning the content that work requires him to execute, he's assaulting people nominally "in his life" ... This is a person who's been coddled since birth because it's always easier to pass him than call him out.

What will it take for him to change? My guess is the same thing that it takes an addict --- recognition that where he is at present could be taken away if he doesn't step up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Back in the day A&M had a OT who all on the team considered the dumbest ever. But Mo Moorman from Kentucky was a first round pick of the Chiefs as a LT and won the last inter-league Superbowl championship of the old AFL over the NFL Vikings in 1970. Funny thing is that with his money he "started Mo Moorman Distributing Company. The distributing company featured Coors Light, Zima, Corona, and other imports such as Stella and Dos Equis. In 2007, Mo sold the company to River City Distributing Company giving River City over 80% of the market share in the city of Louisville." Guess he was not as dumb as everyone on the team thought he was.

Interesting!  I may already know the answer to this; but have you ever seen a really intelligent person that lacked common sense?  

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Interesting!  I may already know the answer to this; but have you ever seen a really intelligent person that lacked common sense?  

Every morning when I wake up I just open my eyes and she's right there. Even my son in law once said to my daughter, "Are you sure she was a Magna Cum Laude grad of Cornell? She has no common sense."😴

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

I shared once upon a time I played on one of the dumbest football teams that ever existed my freshman year.  The crazy thing was I loved every damn one of them.  We couldn't ever go on 2 because the RT next to me couldn't count that high.  He was bigger than all of the fathers; and man he could hit-n-ruin someone.  Every time we went with a quick count, he never got out of his stance.  Every time we tried to go on 2 - he went on 1.  His 1st name was Neil.  Whenever we broke the huddle and got to the line of scrimmage - he forgot the count.  Inevitably here comes the "Hey Flugel what's it on man?"  It's on 1 Neil.  Per usual , 1 game this went on every single play for about 3 series.  Finally, the guy lined up across from me caught us off-guard with "Flugel I got this - It's on 1 Neil."   After the play, the guy asked me - "Is Neil the only one out here that doesn't know you guys go on 1 every single play?"   I said yes but I don't have the heart to tell him because then he's gonna ask me why.   He said "you guys are hilarious." 

LOL LOL ! You've told me that story before, and it is freaking hilarious every time !!! LOL

• Thanks 1