THE BROWNS BOARD

Cedric Tillman

Orion

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

While Jalin Hyatt got all the hype - I think Tillman is going to be a better pro.  Try to picture a Josh Gordon that likes football more than marijuana; and that's how I see Cedric Tillman.  We got a tall WR that actually likes football and he's good at it too!  

I may be old. I may be tired. But that doesn't mean I'm uninspired.   

He's got the size this WR room needed, hopefully he's got the talent and work ethic go along with it. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:29 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I kind of do? 

The Butch Davis era feels like it was 100 years ago. 

Drafting the work ethic of Gerrard Warren instead of LaDanian Tomlinson is the 1st thing I remembered about the Butch Davis era.  He followed that up with telling everyone they had to earn their starting jobs while Warren was lazy and sitting out drills in practice.  He also assured us HIS RB James Jackson was as good as Edge James.  After his defense and chosen ones at LBer gave up over 500 yards rushing to Jamal Lewis in just 6 quarters 1 season - Davis said something along the line of "when you really think about it - our defense played really well today outside of a few big plays they had on us."  Then there's the playoff game he power played Foge Fazio and went prevent defense on Tommy FREAKIN Maddox.  That blew a gigantic lead.  Having said that, a wide open Dennis Northcutt over the middle had the ideal opportunity to put the game away when a pass that hit him right between the 8 and the 6 on his jersey landed on the ground.  At the very least it would have been a 1st down causing Pitt to burn their final timeout.  At best, there was nobody between him and the end zone.  The really bad guy in this thread KJ had 4 receptions for 140 yards, which was an average of 35 yards per reception. I can assure you more veterans beside KJ hated Butch Davis on that team he quit on.

I never thought KJ was the horrible player I'm reading he was in this thread.  In his 1st year on pretty much an expansion team in 99 he had 66 catches for 986 yards at 14.9 yards per catch and 8 TDs.  He played with bad hamstring his entire 2nd year so his numbers dropped.  However, his 3rd year he had 84 receptions for 1097 yards and 9 TDs.  That's a combined 17 TDs in just his rookie and 3rd season.  In comparison, the All Galaxy speedster Dennis Northcutt only had 11 TD receptions in the 7 years he was with the Browns.  The same guy that showed up to the combines at something like 163lbs and ran 4.4 forties at the time that was ideal in 2000.  The Browns drafted Northcutt with the 1st pick of round 2; and the knucklehead held out

In a 56 minute interview Jay Crawford had with KJ on Club 46, KJ explained Marvin Harrison encouraged him to change positions from QB to WR at SU.  Not only that but he taught him how to play WR and worked with him.  Sounded like it continued in off-seasons following Harrison's time at SU. I realize NOBODY is Jerry Rice - but Harrison is a HOF WR that KJ really looked up to.  I'm guessing that was a big part of the reason he didn't feel like Rice needed to help him.  The truth of the matter is KJ only played WR for 1.5 years at SU.  When he was an All American as a senior it wasn't at WR. It was as a return man on STs.  Considering all that, I think he played some decent football in Cleveland at least early-on.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Flugel said:

a wide open Dennis Northcutt over the middle

I remember it as an out pattern near the sidelines.  Me and two of my best friends were watching the game and all three of us, at the same instant yelled out Ohhh!!!

I also recall that all of Butch's scouts had told him to draft NOT Gerard Warren, but Richard Seymour.  But Noooo, 'cos Butch recruited Warren so it HAD to be Warren.

But....that was 100 years ago now.  :)

56 minutes ago, Orion said:

I remember it as an out pattern near the sidelines.  Me and two of my best friends were watching the game and all three of us, at the same instant yelled out Ohhh!!!

I also recall that all of Butch's scouts had told him to draft NOT Gerard Warren, but Richard Seymour.  But Noooo, 'cos Butch recruited Warren so it HAD to be Warren.

Just like we should've drafted Roethlisberger instead of his "Souldja" WIn-SLOW.. I still think Davis is a great coach... Davis's biggest enemy was himself and his ego...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yes indeed...

I'm fairly certain Flugs is 100 years ago now. Next I expect he'll be talking the good ole days of Jim Thorpe.🤣

• Haha 2

Drafting the work ethic of Gerrard Warren instead of LaDanian Tomlinson is the 1st thing I remembered about the Butch Davis era.  He followed that up with telling everyone they had to earn their starting jobs while Warren was lazy and sitting out drills in practice.  He also assured us HIS RB James Jackson was as good as Edge James.  After his defense and chosen ones at LBer gave up over 500 yards rushing to Jamal Lewis in just 6 quarters 1 season - Davis said something along the line of "when you really think about it - our defense played really well today outside of a few big plays they had on us."  Then there's the playoff game he power played Foge Fazio and went prevent defense on Tommy FREAKIN Maddox.  That blew a gigantic lead.  Having said that, a wide open Dennis Northcutt over the middle had the ideal opportunity to put the game away when a pass that hit him right between the 8 and the 6 on his jersey landed on the ground.  At the very least it would have been a 1st down causing Pitt to burn their final timeout.  At best, there was nobody between him and the end zone.  The really bad guy in this thread KJ had 4 receptions for 140 yards, which was an average of 35 yards per reception. I can assure you more veterans beside KJ hated Butch Davis on that team he quit on.

I never thought KJ was the horrible player I'm reading he was in this thread.  In his 1st year on pretty much an expansion team in 99 he had 66 catches for 986 yards at 14.9 yards per catch and 8 TDs.  He played with bad hamstring his entire 2nd year so his numbers dropped.  However, his 3rd year he had 84 receptions for 1097 yards and 9 TDs.  That's a combined 17 TDs in just his rookie and 3rd season.  In comparison, the All Galaxy speedster Dennis Northcutt only had 11 TD receptions in the 7 years he was with the Browns.  The same guy that showed up to the combines at something like 163lbs and ran 4.4 forties at the time that was ideal in 2000.  The Browns drafted Northcutt with the 1st pick of round 2; and the knucklehead held out

In a 56 minute interview Jay Crawford had with KJ on Club 46, KJ explained Marvin Harrison encouraged him to change positions from QB to WR at SU.  Not only that but he taught him how to play WR and worked with him.  Sounded like it continued in off-seasons following Harrison's time at SU. I realize NOBODY is Jerry Rice - but Harrison is a HOF WR that KJ really looked up to.  I'm guessing that was a big part of the reason he didn't feel like Rice needed to help him.  The truth of the matter is KJ only played WR for 1.5 years at SU.  When he was an All American as a senior it wasn't at WR. It was as a return man on STs.  Considering all that, I think he played some decent football in Cleveland at least early-on.

KJ was good

The other thing I remember about Butch was he fell in love with Kelly Holcomb because of the playoff game vs Pitt. He forgot Pitt was down two starting CBs in that game. 

Couch had flaws but could have been something good. Never had a clean pocket. 

Damn, I wish these tragic memories would disappear from my brain😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

I went back to find it for us and it's near the last 2 minutes of the game.  You can find it on youtube.  He drops the ball with one of his feet on the hash marks; so it wasn't an out pattern to the sidelines.  That said, he was not going toward the middle of the field as I described it.  Most important point is he dropped a pass that would  have made Pittsburgh burn their final time while the Browns would have got a brand new set of downs that late in the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

KJ was good

The other thing I remember about Butch was he fell in love with Kelly Holcomb because of the playoff game vs Pitt. He forgot Pitt was down two starting CBs in that game. 

Couch had flaws but could have been something good. Never had a clean pocket. 

Damn, I wish these tragic memories would disappear from my brain😬

KJ was ok... but like Dropcutt.. He was a pussy and afraid to catch in traffic

made Pittsburgh burn their final time while the Browns would have got a brand new set of downs that late in the game. 

Yup.  That easy catch, dropped, cost us a playoff win against the Steelers.  It doesn't get much worse than that!  Sorry!  Dropcutt for life.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Yup.  That easy catch, dropped, cost us a playoff win against the Steelers.  It doesn't get much worse than that!  Sorry!  Dropcutt for life.

Do you know who else dropped a very important pass that could have sealed the deal that day?  After a rookie season getting 10 INTs as a Nickel Back after being drafted in the 4th round out of the University of South Florida in 2001 - DB Anthony Henry had an easy INT bounce off his chest in the 2nd half of that playoff game vrs Pitt following the 2002 season.

I don't know about anyone else; but for me - watching Cleveland FINISH Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh in the playoffs after the 2020 season put a lot of closure on that previous post season game against them.  This time the Browns intercepted Roethlisberger 5 times after they recovered the bad shotgun snap to him in the end zone on the opening play.  41 more points later - it was a very refreshing team win with NOBODY willing to give them charity.  

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

it was a very refreshing team win

'Twas my birthday.  A glorious day.  :)   But in reality, even with what, 7 turnovers, they still scored 37 points on us.  We weren't ready for prime time.  As a matter of fact, we haven't been ready for prime time this whole century...and we're closing in on 25% through it.  This has to be the year.  And Berry knows it.  He's stocking up on players.

The Cleveland Browns have had a busy offseason. From signing four new faces along their putrid defensive front a year ago to selecting seven new faces in the 2023 NFL draft, general manager Andrew Berry has not gotten much sleep since the season ended.

And he may not be done yet.

Berry was a guest on ESPN Cleveland’s radio show yesterday and stated the Browns still have some moves in the works:

“There may be some other things that we’re looking to do, either on the veteran market or trade market over the next several weeks.”

• Like 1

Pittsburgh was just always tough even without Ben, they were almost never out of a game with us no matter the score or time left. And it was bad when we made him scramble, to see him chugging for the sidelines with guys in hot pursuit I knew a big play was following. Steelers just had our number for too long now.

We had the Chiefs game in the palm of our hands.

11 minutes ago, Jax said:

Pittsburgh was just always tough even without Ben, they were almost never out of a game with us no matter the score or time left. And it was bad when we made him scramble, to see him chugging for the sidelines with guys in hot pursuit I knew a big play was following. Steelers just had our number for too long now.

We had the Chiefs game in the palm of our hands.

That Chad Henne run on 3rd and 14 for a 13 yards and two and a half feet, then the conversion pass on 4th down will haunt my slumber for years. 

7 hours ago, nickers said:

KJ was ok... but like Dropcutt.. He was a pussy and afraid to catch in traffic

I always thought he was reliable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

in the begging he looked promising..  But it seemed like he flamed out...

And a nice blast from the past.     :D       

https://youtu.be/ZANnuzSFdag  
A really nice YouTube clip !   mjp.

A blast from the past, it feels like I’ve probably even posted this before, but I don’t care. Back on October 24, 1993 Eric Metcalf returned two punts for touchdowns against the hated Pittsburgh Steelers. The Browns finished that season 7-9, but they won that game 28-23. And Metcalf’s 75-yard return for a TD was the game-winning score.

The Browns trailed 23-21 at the time and the Steelers once again punted long and gave Eric Metcalf room to work. And work he did.

This was the season after Belichick cut Bernie Kosar. The Browns were 5-2 after this win over the Steelers and headed into their bye week. I don’t remember any of this mind you, but I looked it all up for kicks. I’m sure Browns fans were talking about playoffs and the Super Bowl and many were talking about how right the Browns were to move on from Bernie and for signing Vinnie Testaverde.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:56 PM, Bob806 said:

Me too Bob. It sure felt like the whole city of New Orleans was in the end zone when KJ caught the Hail Mary pass from Couch for the 1st W in 99.  

I think Nicks might be confusing KJ with Quincey Morgan - although Quincey just didn't drop the ball in crowds.  He wasn't a drop snob - he'd drop it if he was open or covered. 

I STILL remember his drop against Jax that caused Bottlegate.  As much as I hate to say it, the replay clearly showed he dropped the ball.  Anyway, someone on the board photoshopped a picture of Stan (Atenears) throwing/releasing a bottle.  Talk about a Genie with a Bottle.  That was one funny thread.     

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:09 AM, nickers said:

in the begging he looked promising..  But it seemed like he flamed out...

True.  That said, do you know how many players we can apply that to when one coaching staff gets fired for the next one to take a shot at improving things?   They all want their guys and perceived system fits...

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 6:54 AM, Flugel said:

Me too Bob. It sure felt like the whole city of New Orleans was in the end zone when KJ caught the Hail Mary pass from Couch for the 1st W in 99.  

I think Nicks might be confusing KJ with Quincey Morgan - although Quincey just didn't drop the ball in crowds.  He wasn't a drop snob - he'd drop it if he was open or covered. 

I STILL remember his drop against Jax that caused Bottlegate.  As much as I hate to say it, the replay clearly showed he dropped the ball.  Anyway, someone on the board photoshopped a picture of Stan (Atenears) throwing/releasing a bottle.  Talk about a Genie with a Bottle.  That was one funny thread.     

Shoot Flugs, you have to cut Quincy some slack.  He did pretty damn good for a guy with no thumbs.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Shoot Flugs, you have to cut Quincy some slack.  He did pretty damn good for a guy with no thumbs.

And that may not be the worst of it.  I'm sure someone will want to tell us they heard KJ was hiding Quincy's contact lenses on game day. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ceddy's ability to create and find space is made possible by two things...

- His size and wingspan

- His ability to go from top speed to back down the route stem in a phone booth.

Granted, deceleration when you don't run an insane top end isn't the most impressive thing.   But when you're 6'3, 210lbs and can start to scare DB's downfield with your reach and height.... being able to quickly get out of your vertical push becomes that much more deadly.     Two separate games, two separate plays to show you what I'm talking about.  

CT2a.thumb.jpg.9e8b87625751926bdf67c2807aa577db.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plant step here serves two purposes. 

One, anytime you don't center your leverage against a DB, that step can help to get said DB to open his hips prematurely.   In this case, the CB does have a bit of opening. Nothing a d1 athlete shouldn't be able to recover from, but it's a game of inches.   Hips open outside, means you have a DB who can't as easily beat you back inside on positive breaks.

Two, that step serves as your plant --- >drive.  So you'll drive to the DB's inside shoulder, across his face without wasting motion.

CT2b.thumb.jpg.599a4232e5316f9f40c8d4ab9b944d1d.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where that plant to drive step, while not incredibly explosive, really ends up working.  You now have a DB who's playing high shoulder, having to get his hips back inside and using his upfield arm to make contact on your (Ceddy) outside shoulder.   It's great positioning to 'box out' a shorter CB.  Let's be real, at 6'3, CT is going to be taller than 99% of the corners he'll draw.  NFL average for a CB is 5'11 and maybe some change.

But this positive to vertical break threatens a DB because now, if you drive vertical, he's back shoulder and can be beaten further inside on a positive break.  So a route like a climb, (breaks like a slant, backup field then to post/deep over) becomes a real problem.   DB's tend to panic in this position, worry about early recovery and can sail by you.

CT2c.thumb.jpg.3078759184e8decb4d44e1592d0c6091.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plant step to throttle down.  I've noticed with Ced, his first step to slow his momentum and hip sink are blink of an eye, a couple frames.   You don't get a WR who, if DB's are stacked on you can sort of 'feel' the subtle motions from your arms or shoulders that signal a slow down.  It's immediate, and very difficult to deal with.    Because of where the CB is (high hip, outside shoulder)  Ced begins his break, hip sink and upper body turn back inside and away from the CB.    By the way, his balance and control his top notch.  That's what allows him, at 6'3, to get away with this sort of thing.  

CT2d.thumb.jpg.7ab9ee8e4cc59c0e48ec56d0bcb79e8d.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No further comment needed besides the caption.   It's the little things.

CT2e.thumb.jpg.a3bcb6a4b656fcdeea9d4bb216e0ccc4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ced's eyes are around and the weak hook, the alley defender, threatens the throwing lane on the initial (positive) break.  CT see's this and works back down his route, and begins expanding outside a touch.    This means he'll be a target quicker for his QB, and the CB is now high off his backhip and even with him.   Once again, allowing the bigger body to box out in the paint. 

You'll notice Hooker and CT are on the same page with no only the route timing, but understanding the coverage to the weakside of the formation and where the ball will have to go.

CT2f.thumb.jpg.3cd58941a571f3de3a63afc68f3f8c1b.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ball has been out as CT works back down and outside.   CB is now trailing and back off to inside shoulder.

CT2g.thumb.jpg.be6fb6e65281992f2acdeb5ba852930f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caption tells you it all.     Ced would have to have been Larry Fitz to possible reel this one in.    It's a questionable throw by Hooker, but it displays the quick work in short, tight spaces and the coverage recognition to real time adjustment by Tillman.  

CT2h.thumb.jpg.bdfbcdfee4557e233efbc032c6ae7430.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more from his game against Kentucky.  This time against off.

CT4a.thumb.jpg.84fb9fde04d7f79a8d0d832044114cfd.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kentucky in a split field coverage.

CT4b.thumb.jpg.3e03be885f02b8ef8cf6b59ee830e31a.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

This just further goes to highlight CT's ability to drive, throttle down, snap and locate.    

CT4C.thumb.jpg.0e92c3e7dfb6ebf52686245ad9a7c372.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again talking about balance here.  Look at the extension for his plant foot on his first move to break.  Then look at the weight distribution - it's outstanding balance.

CT4D.thumb.jpg.c857e9585f7bf7ed6aa43f9e6d535298.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot happening in this frame whether you'd realize it or not.    As Ced has sunk his leverage, he's getting his hips around but this upper body and, most importantly, his eyes are "detached" from his lower frame. Meaning he's getting his head around as his body is working out of the break.    He's getting coverage tells and landmarks on defenders during his break.     In this case, he see's a curl expand and the corner that was over top staying in his deep 1/3. 

CT4E.thumb.jpg.0629f42178096473d6603da135d4e7d1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way CT4 can make himself clear for his QB is, again, to work back down the route step and to push even further outside the numbers.   While the DB his lower than him in this frame, he still has to cover ground horizontally to be able to affect CT or the catch.    Like I noted in the frame with the first plant step, CT has gone from top end, to drive step, with identifying the under coverage within 2 1/4 yards.   That's working in condensed space.  

CT4F.thumb.jpg.6697da51579d7c2b698db7f6a7723a5a.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players like working in space, especially this generation.   Ced actually expands slight more towards the sideline while getting back down the stem.   

CT4G.thumb.jpg.0f4dd94d7c921ed88db7246c11bf4115.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love, LOVE seeing a WR lower his leverage to adjust to a low and outside ball.   CT is a hands catcher with great extension, but he's making sure there is a much lesser chance for drop when you put your body behind the ball.   That's looking the throw in like a pro. 

CT4H.thumb.jpg.0d84e1c00bf0cb5a692066180ed64277.jpg

If he ran a 4.4 and avoided injury, he'd have been a 1st round pick.   I really don't have much doubt about that.     While he isn't the speedster so many Madden-ites want, what technique and understanding he has really endears him to his QB's quickly.   He might even make a splash as soon as this season.  I wouldn't count on a 1k yards, but what you could see is a nice connection early with Watson building trust and getting some clutch catches in to move chains.   That comes from the little things he does well to make his QB's job do-able.   From the hands catching, body placement, physical dimensions, ability to work with and create little (NFL distance) separation,  to the post snap adjustments and being on the same page as his QB.   

NFL isn't college, but there's some nice tape here to show that CT could be a 'pro's pro'.  Does the little things right and quietly makes a measurable impact on his team.    Gut feeling, you'll be hearing his name in mini camp and certainly in training camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Gut feeling, you'll be hearing his name in mini camp and certainly in training camp.

Today Stef said that he's doing a good job but like the other rookies is swimming sometimes.  They're not giving it to the receivers in chunks.  They hit them with the whole package so that they can realize how much work it's going to take.  But I think I read where he's made some nice toe-tapping endzone/sideline catches from Watson. 

I've been wanting a tall WR.  Go Cedric!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Ceddy's ability to create and find space is made possible by two things...

- His size and wingspan

- His ability to go from top speed to back down the route stem in a phone booth.

Granted, deceleration when you don't run an insane top end isn't the most impressive thing.   But when you're 6'3, 210lbs and can start to scare DB's downfield with your reach and height.... being able to quickly get out of your vertical push becomes that much more deadly.     Two separate games, two separate plays to show you what I'm talking about.  

CT2a.thumb.jpg.9e8b87625751926bdf67c2807aa577db.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plant step here serves two purposes. 

One, anytime you don't center your leverage against a DB, that step can help to get said DB to open his hips prematurely.   In this case, the CB does have a bit of opening. Nothing a d1 athlete shouldn't be able to recover from, but it's a game of inches.   Hips open outside, means you have a DB who can't as easily beat you back inside on positive breaks.

Two, that step serves as your plant --- >drive.  So you'll drive to the DB's inside shoulder, across his face without wasting motion.

CT2b.thumb.jpg.599a4232e5316f9f40c8d4ab9b944d1d.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where that plant to drive step, while not incredibly explosive, really ends up working.  You now have a DB who's playing high shoulder, having to get his hips back inside and using his upfield arm to make contact on your (Ceddy) outside shoulder.   It's great positioning to 'box out' a shorter CB.  Let's be real, at 6'3, CT is going to be taller than 99% of the corners he'll draw.  NFL average for a CB is 5'11 and maybe some change.

But this positive to vertical break threatens a DB because now, if you drive vertical, he's back shoulder and can be beaten further inside on a positive break.  So a route like a climb, (breaks like a slant, backup field then to post/deep over) becomes a real problem.   DB's tend to panic in this position, worry about early recovery and can sail by you.

CT2c.thumb.jpg.3078759184e8decb4d44e1592d0c6091.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plant step to throttle down.  I've noticed with Ced, his first step to slow his momentum and hip sink are blink of an eye, a couple frames.   You don't get a WR who, if DB's are stacked on you can sort of 'feel' the subtle motions from your arms or shoulders that signal a slow down.  It's immediate, and very difficult to deal with.    Because of where the CB is (high hip, outside shoulder)  Ced begins his break, hip sink and upper body turn back inside and away from the CB.    By the way, his balance and control his top notch.  That's what allows him, at 6'3, to get away with this sort of thing.  

CT2d.thumb.jpg.7ab9ee8e4cc59c0e48ec56d0bcb79e8d.jpg

No further comment needed besides the caption.   It's the little things.

CT2e.thumb.jpg.a3bcb6a4b656fcdeea9d4bb216e0ccc4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ced's eyes are around and the weak hook, the alley defender, threatens the throwing lane on the initial (positive) break.  CT see's this and works back down his route, and begins expanding outside a touch.    This means he'll be a target quicker for his QB, and the CB is now high off his backhip and even with him.   Once again, allowing the bigger body to box out in the paint. 

You'll notice Hooker and CT are on the same page with no only the route timing, but understanding the coverage to the weakside of the formation and where the ball will have to go.

CT2f.thumb.jpg.3cd58941a571f3de3a63afc68f3f8c1b.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ball has been out as CT works back down and outside.   CB is now trailing and back off to inside shoulder.

CT2g.thumb.jpg.be6fb6e65281992f2acdeb5ba852930f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caption tells you it all.     Ced would have to have been Larry Fitz to possible reel this one in.    It's a questionable throw by Hooker, but it displays the quick work in short, tight spaces and the coverage recognition to real time adjustment by Tillman.  

CT2h.thumb.jpg.bdfbcdfee4557e233efbc032c6ae7430.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more from his game against Kentucky.  This time against off.

CT4a.thumb.jpg.84fb9fde04d7f79a8d0d832044114cfd.jpg

Kentucky in a split field coverage.

CT4b.thumb.jpg.3e03be885f02b8ef8cf6b59ee830e31a.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

This just further goes to highlight CT's ability to drive, throttle down, snap and locate.    

CT4C.thumb.jpg.0e92c3e7dfb6ebf52686245ad9a7c372.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again talking about balance here.  Look at the extension for his plant foot on his first move to break.  Then look at the weight distribution - it's outstanding balance.

CT4D.thumb.jpg.c857e9585f7bf7ed6aa43f9e6d535298.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot happening in this frame whether you'd realize it or not.    As Ced has sunk his leverage, he's getting his hips around but this upper body and, most importantly, his eyes are "detached" from his lower frame. Meaning he's getting his head around as his body is working out of the break.    He's getting coverage tells and landmarks on defenders during his break.     In this case, he see's a curl expand and the corner that was over top staying in his deep 1/3. 

CT4E.thumb.jpg.0629f42178096473d6603da135d4e7d1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way CT4 can make himself clear for his QB is, again, to work back down the route step and to push even further outside the numbers.   While the DB his lower than him in this frame, he still has to cover ground horizontally to be able to affect CT or the catch.    Like I noted in the frame with the first plant step, CT has gone from top end, to drive step, with identifying the under coverage within 2 1/4 yards.   That's working in condensed space.  

CT4F.thumb.jpg.6697da51579d7c2b698db7f6a7723a5a.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players like working in space, especially this generation.   Ced actually expands slight more towards the sideline while getting back down the stem.   

CT4G.thumb.jpg.0f4dd94d7c921ed88db7246c11bf4115.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love, LOVE seeing a WR lower his leverage to adjust to a low and outside ball.   CT is a hands catcher with great extension, but he's making sure there is a much lesser chance for drop when you put your body behind the ball.   That's looking the throw in like a pro. 

CT4H.thumb.jpg.0d84e1c00bf0cb5a692066180ed64277.jpg

If he ran a 4.4 and avoided injury, he'd have been a 1st round pick.   I really don't have much doubt about that.     While he isn't the speedster so many Madden-ites want, what technique and understanding he has really endears him to his QB's quickly.   He might even make a splash as soon as this season.  I wouldn't count on a 1k yards, but what you could see is a nice connection early with Watson building trust and getting some clutch catches in to move chains.   That comes from the little things he does well to make his QB's job do-able.   From the hands catching, body placement, physical dimensions, ability to work with and create little (NFL distance) separation,  to the post snap adjustments and being on the same page as his QB.   

NFL isn't college, but there's some nice tape here to show that CT could be a 'pro's pro'.  Does the little things right and quietly makes a measurable impact on his team.    Gut feeling, you'll be hearing his name in mini camp and certainly in training camp.

Good stuff buddy.

I also like the way the guy knows how to shield defenders in tight coverage.  I live in Tennessee so I could watch all the Vols games I wanted.  Minus the top end speed, he reminds me of Terrell Owens in body type and how he can use his body to be open even when he isn't.

Some receivers play skinny.  Some know how to play wide.  He can play wide.  10" hands don't hurt anything either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Good stuff buddy.

I also like the way the guy knows how to shield defenders in tight coverage.  I live in Tennessee so I could watch all the Vols games I wanted.  Minus the top end speed, he reminds me of Terrell Owens in body type and how he can use his body to be open even when he isn't.

Some receivers play skinny.  Some know how to play wide.  He can play wide.  10" hands don't hurt anything either.

Wish he had Owens' wheels. 

Marques Colston....  maybe with a splash of Michael Thomas.  Or maybe the other way around?   Either way, that's my best reach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Wish he had Owens' wheels. 

Marques Colston....  maybe with a splash of Michael Thomas.  Or maybe the other way around?   Either way, that's my best reach.

Maybe a little of all?  LOL...I'll be happy if some day people say they hope their receiver is a bit like Tillman.

Hyatt got a lot of love and well deserved, but until Tillman got hurt, he was the Vol receiver you planned against.  I think a lot of people have forgotten that.  

I think we got a good one with that guy.  A lot depends on the receiver, QB connection, but this has a chance to be the start of a beautiful relationship.

• Like 1