THE BROWNS BOARD

~  The Cleveland BROWNS Depth Chart  - (5-27-2023).    Subject to revisions. 

mjp28

before we lose this for the 16th time ;) We're placing this here..

11758216.thumb.png.148878dc07ae6388874045e844cb6786.png

Don't look now.. but a NFL.com writer has a thought..https://www.nfl.com/news/five-nfl-offseason-storylines-that-are-overblown-three-that-deserve-more-attenti

2) The Browns are a sneaky contender

Last offseason, the Browns were one of the most talked about teams after trading for Deshaun Watson and signing him to a fully guaranteed contract.

This year, the Browns seem to have slipped into the background. That's the effect of one highly disappointing season. Watson struggled during his six starts after returning from suspension, and Cleveland quickly descended back to also-ran status.

Yet, if there's a last-to-first-place possibility (not named the Jets) I'm fascinated by, it's the Browns. I couldn't quite wedge them into my list of the 10 most complete rosters, but I'm already prepared to regret that decision.

If Watson can play anywhere close to the way he did during his Texans career, when he went to three straight Pro Bowls, the Browns will win. There's no need to make excuses for his 2022 play, but strictly from a football perspective, I expect a vastly improved performance.

The roster is in good shape, with their offseason moves precisely geared at targeting weaker spots and avoiding short-term fixes. That's a sounder approach, and they still managed to do well in the draft despite lacking first- and second-round picks.

Either way -- if Watson thrives or struggles -- the Browns are a story in 2023. If they struggle, even in a tough division, it could result in major ramifications. But this seems like a sleeper team. In a way, they remind me a bit of the Vikings heading into last season, when Minnesota won 13 games. A similar one-year flourish in Cleveland won't stun me.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good news for you - bad news for me. The bad news for me is I made an assumption and provided wrong info off the following statement: "JOK hit the offseason weight room so he can take on tight ends better this year."  This is in the Browns roster section in Lindy's Pro Football Preview 2023 where they give the height and weights and a quick comment about each guy. JOK's height and weight remained the same 6'2" 221lbs it was last year so nobody has to worry if he put on too much weight.  Sorry for the misinformation on my part.

One thing we should ALL know is it's very common for Professional Football players starting in a front 7 to hit the weight room in the off season.  My first thought was why is this even worthy of mention?  Then came the thought they probably wanted him to add about 5lbs to his frame or something; or there's ZERO need to point that out.    It was the type of sports writer stuff you've warned us about and rightfully so.  

Yes, he is a bit light in the pants.  So I have little doubt that young JOK is trying to reform is body type a bit.    No reason to apologize bubs. 

Articles are more clickbait than ever during the off-season.  Which is a shame, because there's a good lot of quality content they could dive into and still get eyes on screens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Yes, he is a bit light in the pants.  So I have little doubt that young JOK is trying to reform is body type a bit.   

This Ute is starting to grow on me.. is 6'4 222 lbs. bigger than what JOK came in at? We put 250K in his hands to sign. He's got room to grow

@Flugel  you might like this Ute

download.jpg.30b87d85eb7bc2ca37df249d54545dc4.jpg

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

This Ute is starting to grow on me.. is 6'4 222 lbs. bigger than what JOK came in at? We put 250K in his hands to sign. He's got room to grow

@Flugel  you might like this Ute

download.jpg.30b87d85eb7bc2ca37df249d54545dc4.jpg

Very impressive.  You're right Gumbs - this Ute is a Beaute.  He hustles and closes fast on people.  He's probably also one of those wiry types that is way stronger than he looks.  He looks like a young Jevon Kearse, who was a stand-up LBer at Florida once upon a time.  He got me excited like Henley did. Great stuff - thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

They only have one guy from Utah who's got a shot to make the 53. The other from Utah on the 90 is a PS OL

And unless they're from Utah, the word "contribute" is less funny

I'm still laughing at the Gambini reference which was great!  Yeah, not just Utah but any kid that goes the Undrafted Free Agent route has a very quick/small window to make an impression.  Lucky for him, the Browns have a longer training camp than most teams due to the Hall of Fame Game they are scheduled to play in. This may mean nothing at all - but Gumby mentioned the Browns gave him a competitive signing bonus for an undrafted guy.  I mentioned he reminded me of Jevon Kearse playing LBer in a 2 point stance at Florida after staring off as a redshirt 6'4" 215lb Safety in 1995 before moving to OLB in 96. Later on Florida occasionally lined up up in a 3 point stance in obvious pass rush situations.  I just went back and looked up Diabate in Lindy's draft guide and he was listed as their 11th best Inside LBer prospect (projected for 6th-7th round).  Interestingly enough, he played his 1st 3 years of college football at Florida before transferring to play his final year at Utah.  

This type of guy would have to show he can also excel on special teams, but with the changes in the return games the NFL has proposed - that may be even more difficult to accomplish.  It'll be interesting to see what unfolds.  It looks like there's a lot more competition for starting jobs, active roster spots and even practice squad opportunities in the front 7 this year.  With the hiring of Schwartz at DC on top of all this - the defense should be a lot more fun to watch once it all gets underway.     

22 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Re: Diabate 

3 games deep, UF vs LSU, UTAH vs SC and then UF show some strong indicators on why he was an UDFA.  

Good athlete, incredibly limited football player at the moment.   RAS is nice, but the mentals are lacking on film big time.

Not the answers I was hoping for; but thanks for the research.  So much for my reminds me of Jevon Kearse coming out after watching a small extract of film/best moments.  1st step instinct is very important, Bark Mingo had all the hustle and athleticism a guy could ever want; but he had the instincts of a raccoon crossing a busy highway at night.  Let's see what he does with the very small window of opportunity training camp provides.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:11 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I know they took JOK with a high second rounder, but it still feels like this front office kind of looks at the LBs as "something we'll get to later...." 

In the sense of the D, LB is a "get later" position.  I think 10 LBs were drafted in the first 3 rounds this past draft.  Basically 10% of all drafted players in those rounds.

In the NFL of today, LB just isn't a marquee position anymore as it was in the 60's.  Even the 80's.  I can't think of any defensive formation where a team brings in more linebackers.  Can you?  They start pulling them off the field in favor of faster coverage guys or more beef along the line in a goal line deal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

In the sense of the D, LB is a "get later" position.  I think 10 LBs were drafted in the first 3 rounds this past draft.  Basically 10% of all drafted players in those rounds.

In the NFL of today, LB just isn't a marquee position anymore as it was in the 60's.  Even the 80's.  I can't think of any defensive formation where a team brings in more linebackers.  Can you?  They start pulling them off the field in favor of faster coverage guys or more beef along the line in a goal line deal.

I think you're right.  It might have started to happen in the 80s; but there's 2 LBer Corps in that decade that reminded us how important/impactful the LBer position could still be.  The 85 Bears had Wilbur Marshall, Otis Wilson and Mike Singletary and the Giants had Harry Carson, Lawrence Taylor, Gary Reasons, Carl Banks, Brad Van Pelt, Pepper Johnson while the names on their Dline aren't as easy for me to remember.  Washington's Joe Gibbs said Lawrence Taylor changed the game and the way offenses had to prepare for him.  I think Joe Theisman would agree with him.  In the 90s and shortly thereafter, Pittsburgh also had a ton of Pro Bowl LBers in their zone blitz schemes like Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, James Harrison, Joey Porter and others. Having said that, these are exceptions to the rule so I do think you make a good point above.

I think LBs started to be diminished past the 80's.  I just pointed out the 80's since it was still a top position on D.  You still had plenty of teams still playing a 3-4 base.  I don't think anybody has played that as a base in quite a few years.

It just became a tweener position.  As O's started to go pass heavy, backs became diminished as did the need for linebackers.  Teams either wanted more size and pass rush from the front 4 and wanted to have more DBs on the field.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:15 PM, tiamat63 said:

Re: Diabate 

3 games deep, UF vs LSU, UTAH vs SC and then UF show some strong indicators on why he was an UDFA.  

Good athlete, incredibly limited football player at the moment.   RAS is nice, but the mentals are lacking on film big time.

No doubt.  Where I think he can shine is on special teams.  He better if he wants to make the team.  If he can do that, then he will have the time to improve in other areas...if he can.

On 6/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

The Problem with DePodesta the bean counter:

My plan vs My budget meme

Funny pic, but I don't see how that applies to DePodesta?

In the beginning the plan was to get rid of players from a team that won 1 game over 2 seasons, build some assets, and go from there.  What we are seeing now is the result of the plan.  We will soon find out if the plan pays dividends.

Seems the pics are reversed.

looking forward to seeing this guy in the pre season

MAR234312.png

Wes Martin | 67

OG | Indiana | logo_thumb_CLE.gif Cleveland Browns
Ht: 6025 / 6' 03" | Wt: 315 | Upd: 06/18/2023

Vitals

Birth Date: 05/09/1996
Original Team: WAS
NFL Entry: 19 04 131
NFL Exp: 5
Depth Chart Key: U/Was
Team History: WAS NYG JAX WAS CLE

Player History

05/19 WAS D/C signed
08/21 WAS waived
09/21 WAS P/SQ 0-2
09/21 NYG from WAS P/SQ 3
12/21 NYG Covid-19
12/21 NYG activated 14
05/22 NYG waived
05/22 JAX w/claim from NYG
08/22 JAX waived
08/22 WAS w/claim from JAX
08/22 WAS waived

09/22 WAS P/SQ 0-2
09/22 WAS activated 2
09/22 WAS P/SQ 2-4
10/22 WAS activated 4
10/22 WAS P/SQ 4-15
12/22 WAS activated 15
12/22 WAS P/SQ 15-16
12/22 WAS activated 16
03/23 WAS UFA
03/23 CLE UFA signed

Ourlads' Profile:

2019 Review: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about WES MARTIN: Wes Martin is already in line to start at left guard as there isn’t much competition that pre-existed and it was such a sore spot in 2018. The powerful run blocker will still have to earn his stripes in training camp however.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:50 PM, Orion said:

CB Thakarius Keyes.   He's a 6'1 ,  202 lb.  camp body.  A nice big corner.  Mike Pettine would love him.  A 7th round pick of the Chiefs in 2020.  Was with Chicago & Indy in 2021.  No stats last year.

Enjoyed a 2 week vacation to OH-io & Michigan missing 1 roster transaction.. 

For the Browns to add CB Thakarius "BoPete" Keyes..

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/article/cleveland-browns-thakarius-keyes-dawson-deaton--212498473/

The Browns waived 2022 7th round draft pick, C/G Dawson Deaton w/injury designation.. (in 2022, D.Deaton tore his ACL in August going to IR)

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/7/6/23786460/browns-waive-dawson-deaton-nfl-draft-thakarius-keyes

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Enjoyed a 2 week vacation to OH-io & Michigan missing 1 roster transaction.. 

For the Browns to add CB Thakarius "BoPete" Keyes..

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/article/cleveland-browns-thakarius-keyes-dawson-deaton--212498473/

The Browns waived 2022 7th round draft pick, C/G Dawson Deaton w/injury designation.. (in 2022, D.Deaton tore his ACL in August going to IR)

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/7/6/23786460/browns-waive-dawson-deaton-nfl-draft-thakarius-keyes

And this is okay because it looks like we already had a young Wypler Snapper ahead of Deaton on the depth chart anyway...  Welcome back Gumbs!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting numbers but if Wills don't get his shit togedda!... Numbers ain't gonna matta!.. Only to say the kid is a guard so.. No fear there right? I'm really intrigued by Dawand Jones... He has the potential to be special.. But.. Lets not get ahead of ourselves right? I would like to see Berry start hitting on some of these picks.. The Merry-Go-Round gets tiresome...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

These type of Camp sudden moves always spark my interest. (Waived 1 hour after practice) And I'll keep my dollar, that Berry won't make a move until mid August ;) 

We have one open roster spot !

CB Thakarius 'BoPete' Keyes was waived with injury designation for a finger injury.. Browns never reported a injured finger/nor did Keyes miss any practice time.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/7/29/23812444/cleveland-browns-waive-thakarius-keyes

updates to chart are in my post on page 1.

edit- Teams make 1 cut after final preseason game--updated FA's list https://overthecap.com/free-agency  Browns have 16M in cap space

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 6:14 PM, gumby73 said:

We have one open roster spot !

CB Thakarius 'BoPete' Keyes was waived with injury designation for a finger injury

#Browns worked out Lorenzo Burns (signed), DT Shelby Harris, Michael Joseph, Mac McCain

Shelby Harris would be a welcomed upgrade of Elliott or Winfrey.. but for now,

the 90th position goes to CB Lorenzo Burns to replace BoPete Keyes

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/7/31/23814953/browns-work-out-shelby-harris-lorenzo-burns-michael-joseph-mac-mccain

On 7/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, syd said:

looking forward to seeing this guy in the pre season

MAR234312.png

Wes Martin | 67

OG | Indiana | logo_thumb_CLE.gif Cleveland Browns
Ht: 6025 / 6' 03" | Wt: 315 | Upd: 06/18/2023

Vitals

Birth Date: 05/09/1996
Original Team: WAS
NFL Entry: 19 04 131
NFL Exp: 5
Depth Chart Key: U/Was
Team History: WAS NYG JAX WAS CLE

Player History

05/19 WAS D/C signed
08/21 WAS waived
09/21 WAS P/SQ 0-2
09/21 NYG from WAS P/SQ 3
12/21 NYG Covid-19
12/21 NYG activated 14
05/22 NYG waived
05/22 JAX w/claim from NYG
08/22 JAX waived
08/22 WAS w/claim from JAX
08/22 WAS waived

09/22 WAS P/SQ 0-2
09/22 WAS activated 2
09/22 WAS P/SQ 2-4
10/22 WAS activated 4
10/22 WAS P/SQ 4-15
12/22 WAS activated 15
12/22 WAS P/SQ 15-16
12/22 WAS activated 16
03/23 WAS UFA
03/23 CLE UFA signed

Ourlads' Profile:

2019 Review: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about WES MARTIN: Wes Martin is already in line to start at left guard as there isn’t much competition that pre-existed and it was such a sore spot in 2018. The powerful run blocker will still have to earn his stripes in training camp however.

again this guy who can play center also

28 minutes ago, syd said:

i am hoping to see them both tomorrow night 

Browns OL coach Bill Callahan, was in Washington's draft room to take part in taking Wes Martin in the 4th round.. Martin's got a fair chance to back-up L/R Guard

• Thanks 1

Browns are spoiled for choice at backup OL.  Jones, Martin, Wypler, Dunn, Hudson.. and Harris.  That's a replacement OL L-R that is at minimum competent and at most a couple of near-all-pros.  Here's hoping they're ST all-stars because I don't want to lose any of them.. and it's been a while since we've had anything other than starters.