THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Browns Training Camp

gumby73

QB's & Rookies reported Wednesday. All 88 of 90 possible players, plus staff are to report Friday to Berea, Ohio on July 21st 2023.

Saturday the team will travel to begin camp at The Greenbrier Resort in W.Virginia. That afternoon from July 22 (walk-thru) thru July 30th.

August 1st thru August 24th the camp will move back to Berea,Ohio. Camp tickets are available. (in Bold print)

Berea,Ohio Schedule

The 2023 Browns training camp schedule is as follows:

* All times are ET.

* Open practices in bold

Tues. Aug. 1 — 2 p.m.

Wed. Aug. 2 — No practice

Thurs. Aug. 3 — Preseason game vs. New York Jets (Hall of Fame Game), 8 p.m., News 5

Fri. Aug 4 —— No practice

Sat. Aug. 5 — No practice

Sun. Aug. 6 — 2 p.m.

Mon. Aug. 7 — 2 p.m.

Tues. Aug. 8 — No practice

Wed. Aug. 9 — 2 p.m.

Thurs. Aug. 10 — No practice

Fri. Aug. 11 — Preseason game vs. Washington, 7:30 p.m., News 5

Sat. Aug. 12 — No practice

Sun. Aug. 13 — No practice

Mon. Aug. 14 — Joint practice in Philadelphia, 2 p.m.

Tues. Aug. 15 — Joint practice in Philadelphia, 2 p.m.

Wed. Aug. 16 — No practice

Thurs. Aug. 17 — Preseason game at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m., News 5

Fri. Aug 18 — No practice

Sat. Aug. 19 — No practice

Sun. Aug. 20 — 2 p.m.

Mon. Aug. 21 — No practice

Tues. Aug. 22 — 1:25 p.m.

Wed. Aug. 23 — 1:25 p.m.

Thurs. Aug. 24 — 11:30 a.m

Fri. Aug. 25 — No practice

Sat. Aug. 26 — Preseason game at Kansas City, 1 p.m., News 5

Camp Roster

Cleveland Browns Depth Chart

Browns Roster sits at 88 of 90 players after P. Winfrey was cut.. (edit 7-22- adding Michael Woods back in. And signing WR Austin Watkins. Roster is full at 90 to Camp Greenbrier) 

Browns Camp News should start breaking out starting Friday or Saturday !

Members welcome to post daily updates here ! 

Let's Go Browns !

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

So I'm the dumbass who put in his Google calendar that training camp tickets were open this past Monday at 9a.  Turns out it was Saturday. 

If anyone has stumbled across an open camp date, preferably for the 7th, holler at your boy.   Help me help you get some of the best training camp reporting you'll find online. 

Opening Camp Business from Friday..

1) Browns wide receiver Marquise Goodwin will miss the start of training camp due to blood clots in his legs and lungs. Said he began experiencing discomfort in his legs and slight shortness of breath during organized team activities in the spring, and a check-up revealed the blood clots in his legs and lungs.

Goodwin will start camp with a declared non-football illness*. 

2) 3 players fall under the non-football injury* list, is for players who suffered injuries or ailments outside of NFL activities. 

The Browns placed,

a.) WR Anthony Schwartz, a former third-round pick fighting for a roster spot this season, will begin training camp on the non-football injury list, per the wire.

b.) Guard Colby Gossett will also start on NFI list

c.) 2022 draft pick WR Michael Woods. Woods ruptured his Achilles training this offseason. Goes to NFI List..

All 4 players count towards 90 man Camp roster. (adding Watkins & Woods, to depth chart, gives us a full 90 man roster/ will update above depth chart)

3. One Player addition signed.  He is the cousin of wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

The Browns are also reportedly signing wide receiver Austin Watkins, who most recently played for the Birmingham Stallions in the USFL. Two call ups from the 49ers. (see thread)

Saturday includes a flight to W. Virginia. Walk-thru 3:45pm.. Media will be available on the grounds.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Orion said:

They're related eh?  Cool.

What color font do we use if a small camp roster whine is posted ?  😁

Nothing really post worthy came out of yesterday's walk-thru. Early 10:30 am practice start today 

The Good... Starting LB'ers Taki & Walker got on the field with no contact.

The Whine.. (grape)

If Berry knew all 3 shifty/speed WR's Schwartz, Goodwin & Grant can't practice? Why add a late choice WR in Austin Watkins? After drafting his same body clone of Cedric Tillman ?    The only roster'd WR speed left to practice is? E.Moore, J. Darden or M. Harley?

edit- The first few days will be relatively light before the Browns practice in full pads for the first time on July 28.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:53 AM, tiamat63 said:

So I'm the dumbass who put in his Google calendar that training camp tickets were open this past Monday at 9a.  Turns out it was Saturday. 

If anyone has stumbled across an open camp date, preferably for the 7th, holler at your boy.   Help me help you get some of the best training camp reporting you'll find online. 

Don't worry about it.  It's nice that you share your Training Camp observations and insights with us every time you attend.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

What color font do we use if a small camp roster whine is posted ?  😁

Nothing really post worthy came out of yesterday's walk-thru. Early 10:30 am practice start today 

The Good... Starting LB'ers Taki & Walker got on the field with no contact.

The Whine.. (grape)

If Berry knew all 3 shifty/speed WR's Schwartz, Goodwin & Grant can't practice? Why add a late choice WR in Austin Watkins? After drafting his same body clone of Cedric Tillman ?    The only roster'd WR speed left to practice is? E.Moore, J. Darden or M. Harley?

edit- The first few days will be relatively light before the Browns practice in full pads for the first time on July 28.

We are shopping at ALDIs at this point - you aren’t finding anything too fancy at this point.  Having said that we have a promising group of guys that can fill out a 5th/6th WR role and I think from the group we cut there is strong chance someone gets picked up to fill out the end of another teams roster.

Watkins looks pretty good. Uphill battle for him though I don’t see him contributing on special teams in anyway and that’s probably what they will look for in that last spot. 

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We are shopping at ALDIs at this point - you aren’t finding anything too fancy at this point.  Having said that we have a promising group of guys that can fill out a 5th/6th WR role and I think from the group we cut there is strong chance someone gets picked up to fill out the end of another teams roster.

Watkins looks pretty good. Uphill battle for him though I don’t see him contributing on special teams in anyway and that’s probably what they will look for in that last spot. 

Hey SD, what's new with you ?  We're getting some SD weather. we'll with some buckets of humidity added ........  Your  "shopping at ALDIs"  caught my eye and probably TRUE with the BROWNS as far on field talent too.   Now grocery shopping we are in the Boardman shopping mecca by Rt 224 & South Ave.   Within about a 3+ mile radius of ALDIs, MARCs, Sam's, a couple dollar stores,  Giant Eagle  .... and a Wedgwood Pizza  to boot.

Wonderful if you like to cook, bake or cookout  ..... which go great with sports.

• Upvote 1

As training camp began (we’ve got you covered with Day 1 and Day 2 notes), there is still questions about what Cleveland’s interior defensive line will look like. DT Dalvin Tomlinson looks to be playing 3-technique but the lack of quality depth is still concerning.

Berry spoke to the media on-site at the Greenbriar and was asked about filling the hole at defensive tackle. Speaking generally about the roster, the Browns GM made it known that the first half of camp was going to be spent assessing the roster:

With the final preseason game just over a month away and Cleveland having four preseason games due to the Hall of Fame Game versus the New York Jets, the “middle of camp” will be around August 12th.

-----------

I'm figuring that they will, at some point, maybe even as late as roster cuts, bring in an interior DLineman.  Berry cannot allow what happened to the middle of our run D last year happen again this year.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Hey SD, what's new with you ?  We're getting some SD weather. we'll with some buckets of humidity added ........  Your  "shopping at ALDIs"  caught my eye and probably TRUE with the BROWNS as far on field talent too.   Now grocery shopping we are in the Boardman shopping mecca by Rt 224 & South Ave.   Within about a 3+ mile radius of ALDIs, MARCs, Sam's, a couple dollar stores,  Giant Eagle  .... and a Wedgwood Pizza  to boot.

Wonderful if you like to cook, bake or cookout  ..... which go great with sports.

How are you MJP?  Getting the Fall Football cooking menu ready? 

I actually like ALDIs we only have a few out here. 

I’m Doing well…we’ve had great weather no heat (maybe a week of mid 80s) humidity of course is never bad. Getting ready for some Ohio visitors this coming week…no Wedgewood this time but I normally get some Nodays Pepperoni rolls when family comes out.  We are excited for the Track next weekend at Del Mar and some Browns football right around the corner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Ohio seems to be a hot spot for mom and pop pizza joints. There is a place in Medina called Fat Bob's that has some bomb ass pizza as well.

Oh yes ..... but slowly over time some are going away   - and -   unfortunately replaced with another franchise pizza.org shop.    :huh:

And from the   (1967 to now)  year old  Fernando's Wedgewood  Pizza  our favorite.   The House Special with extra mushrooms and extra cheese,  ummm-ummm  !   :)

See    ● GAMEDAY ●    meals thread for a delicious picture.  ]

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hey SD, what's new with you ?  We're getting some SD weather. we'll with some buckets of humidity added ........  Your  "shopping at ALDIs"  caught my eye and probably *TRUE with the *BROWNS as far on field talent too.   Now grocery shopping we are in the Boardman shopping mecca by Rt 224 & South Ave.   Within about a 3+ mile radius of ALDIs, MARCs, Sam's, a couple dollar stores,  Giant Eagle  .... and a Wedgwood Pizza  to boot.

Wonderful if you like to cook, bake or cookout  ..... which go great with .... sports. <--

Ok Mod...start deleting 3 food post from here^^ Thank you

Stay on a Training Camp topic please !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Ok Mod...start deleting 3 food post from here^^ Thank you

Stay on a Training Camp topic please !

Just saying hi to relocated BROWNS fans,  (who also like our pizza)  I don't think it will go anywhere from there. (Also no childish swearing or gay talk used....unlike others.)

But thanks for your comments and suggestions.     :)

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Just saying hi to relocated BROWNS fans,  (who also like our pizza)  I don't think it will go anywhere from there. (Also no childish swearing or gay talk used....unlike others.)

But thanks for your comments and suggestions.     :)

Hey this was gay! :P

Only thing of worth from day 2 to track, is how long it takes to get Amari Cooper back on the field

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- Browns receiver Amari Cooper appeared outside with the rest of his teammates at the start training camp on Sunday, but quickly went inside on Day 2 with what proved to be “a minor tweak” of something, general manager Andrew Berry said after practice.

Berry declined to specify what body part Cooper tweaked, but did say that it’s not related to the core muscle surgery he had in February. Cooper spent some time in the therapy pool inside the Sports Performance building at The Greenbrier.

edit- Got a dollar, Berry makes a move after Friday's pads come on & before the 12th 🤫

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Only thing of worth from day 2 to track, is how long it takes to get Amari Cooper back on the field

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- Browns receiver Amari Cooper appeared outside with the rest of his teammates at the start training camp on Sunday, but quickly went inside on Day 2 with what proved to be “a minor tweak” of something, general manager Andrew Berry said after practice.

Berry declined to specify what body part Cooper tweaked, but did say that it’s not related to the core muscle surgery he had in February. Cooper spent some time in the therapy pool inside the Sports Performance building at The Greenbrier.

edit- Got a dollar, Berry makes a move after Friday's pads come on & before the 12th 🤫

Thanks Gumbs!  From what I've heard - they're going to keep things fairly light in the 1st week.  

As no surprise, we're probably looking at Tomlinson, Ika, and Elliott as the top 3 DTs.  If we lose Tomlinson or Ika to injury this year - we may be looking at kicking Myles Garrett inside for a series here and there (since most of our depth all of a sudden seems like it's on the edges.

Knowing the injury history/wear and tear situation with Conklin - Dawand Jones will get plenty of action at RT.  Meanwhile, the is a VERY important year for LT Jed Wills and the passing game.  There's a lot hinging on him becoming what he hoped/needed him to.  If not, we'll have to assign a TE to his left.  I'm the knucklehead that would love to see Dewand Jones lining up to the left of Wills as a TE with more of a blocking purpose.  That said, the big feller was supposed to be a big time basketball player in high school catching passes/scoring in traffic.  The wing span on a 6'8" target like this might make for a surprisingly good TE option.  I'm guessing not many coaches would have asked LB Mike Vrable to line up at TE with Gronk on the other side in red zone/goal line situations; and that turned into quite a few TD receptions for Vrable.  Something like that wouldn't suck from Jones aside from NFL experience blocking on 1 edge.

As always, let's see what happens...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Flugel said:

As no surprise, we're probably looking at Tomlinson, Ika, and Elliott as the top 3 DTs.  If we lose Tomlinson or Ika to injury this year - we may be looking at kicking Myles Garrett inside for a series here and there (since most of our depth all of a sudden seems like it's on the edges.

I like that Schwartz can evaluate Elliott vs Ika in pads. Who works parked next to Tomlinson? Berry seemed high on Elliott last season (over-evaluated imo) With Winfrey gone. It's Elliott's job to lose to Ika imo. Elliott's talent evaluation needs to stay higher than whats on the DT street. 

from most media reads.. Za'Darius Smith kicks inside to DT.. Garrett & Obo to play wide 9 DE's .. stay tuned  

21 hours ago, Flugel said:

Knowing the injury history/wear and tear situation with Conklin - Dawand Jones will get plenty of action at RT.  Meanwhile, the is a VERY important year for LT Jed Wills and the passing game.  There's a lot hinging on him becoming what he hoped/needed him to.  If not, we'll have to assign a TE to his left. 

As always, let's see what happens...

I've seen before pads Friday, called the amp up period. Offensive plays are being installed.. The only report on Dawand Jones, was him playing LT2/ w/Hudson playing RT2 on Day 1.. Jones was excused, ill on days 2 & 3..  Hudson vs Jones is the swing tackle camp battle. Bill Callahan knows Right from Left Tackles. I like where he started Jones. LT 

Camp day 3 edit- WR depth reps- Coop was out. Schwartz/Grant/Goodwin remained out. David Bell/ Cedric Tillman & Daylen Baldwin saw 1st team reps with DPJ & Elijah Moore. Jaelon Darden & DPJ split kick/punt return duties.    

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I like that Schwartz can evaluate Elliott vs Ika in pads. Who works parked next to Tomlinson? Berry seemed high on Elliott last season (over-evaluated imo) With Winfrey gone. It's Elliott's job to lose to Ika imo. Elliott's talent evaluation needs to stay higher than whats on the DT street. 

from most media reads.. Za'Darius Smith kicks inside to DT.. Garrett & Obo to play wide 9 DE's .. stay tuned  

I've seen before pads Friday, called the amp up period. Offensive plays are being installed.. The only report on Dawand Jones, was him playing LT2/ w/Hudson playing RT2 on Day 1.. Jones was excused, ill on days 2 & 3..  Hudson vs Jones is the swing tackle camp battle. Bill Callahan knows Right from Left Tackles. I like where he started Jones. LT 

Camp day 3 edit- WR depth reps- Coop was out. Schwartz/Grant/Goodwin remained out. David Bell/ Cedric Tillman & Daylen Baldwin saw 1st team reps with DPJ & Elijah Moore. Jaelon Darden & DPJ split kick/punt return duties.    

Thanks!  To the 1st thing I bolded from you above - I was wondering how far Za'Darius got his weight up to.  I don't know how accurate the pre-season Football Preview Magazines are but Athlon's list Myles and Za'Darius at the same height and weight (6'4" 272lbs).  My intrigue for kicking Myles inside on occasion (like Houston used to with JJ Watt) is the elite power and explosion he packs.  I know Za'Darius has a lot of that too; but my guess is Garrett has the best chance to overwhelm the 300-325lb OGs in this league.  Schwartz will have the right guys in the right places so I'm fine with whoever he feels comfortable with.  The BIGGER hope is we have a DT rotation where there's little to no drop-off with the guys that earned their roles so we can keep all our effective edge rushers outside where they prefer to be. I'm kind of excited at how many edge rushers the Browns added this year; because it gives us the flexibility if depth gets depleted anywhere on the DL.  I'm really looking forward to seeing Schwartz orchestrate it all.

To the 2nd bolded part, I really liked what I read from you.  Not that it was a huge surprise - it just rewards Hudson for all his efforts to improve each year as challenging as it might be to win that battle. I'll close my jibberish with a couple old sayings. It's not the size of the dawg in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dawg.  If you fail to prepare - then prepare to fail.  

Hope and pray for good health, more than anything. 

Still of the belief Togiai gets a longer look than Elliot.  He was bordering on ineffective before the weight gain, after said gain he was a liability.  So he's lost marginal explosiveness and combined it with no improvement in functional strength or technique.  

Tommy at least, given his power and natural lower pad level from height, can hold his own against gap and down power teams.  This is the reason why he saw high marks against squads like the Ravens, but was given an F- against zone teams like ATL. 

Still banking on Mo or Hill showing their improved physique and better health. Either would be a upgrade.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:16 AM, Flugel said:

Don't worry about it.  It's nice that you share your Training Camp observations and insights with us every time you attend.  Thanks!

Can't give those same thoughts if I don't get tickets though bubs.   We'll see, I'm not about to satisfy the scalpers on Ebay by paying for something designed to be free. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Thanks!  To the 1st thing I bolded from you above - I was wondering how far Za'Darius got his weight up to.  I don't know how accurate the pre-season Football Preview Magazines are but Athlon's list Myles and Za'Darius at the same height and weight (6'4" 272lbs).  My intrigue for kicking Myles inside on occasion (like Houston used to with JJ Watt) is the elite power and explosion he packs.  I know Za'Darius has a lot of that too; but my guess is Garrett has the best chance to overwhelm the 300-325lb OGs in this league.  Schwartz will have the right guys in the right places so I'm fine with whoever he feels comfortable with.  The BIGGER hope is we have a DT rotation where there's little to no drop-off with the guys that earned their roles so we can keep all our effective edge rushers outside where they prefer to be. I'm kind of excited at how many edge rushers the Browns added this year; because it gives us the flexibility if depth gets depleted anywhere on the DL.  I'm really looking forward to seeing Schwartz orchestrate it all.

To the 2nd bolded part, I really liked what I read from you.  Not that it was a huge surprise - it just rewards Hudson for all his efforts to improve each year as challenging as it might be to win that battle. I'll close my jibberish with a couple old sayings. It's not the size of the dawg in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dawg.  If you fail to prepare - then prepare to fail.  

This was a suggestion I made last year (kicking Myles inside on some downs) it wasn’t met as pleasantly as I thought it would be met.  But We saw this more in prior years and I believe we had success deploying it for some of the reasons you stated.  I don’t think or know if Zadarius offers the same flexibility…there was talk that he faded down the stretch too and I think his game from what I’ve seen bodes well on the outside.  Tomlinson offers flexibility (not as a DE).  My hope is maybe McGuire flashes, everyone else including Okoronkwo should be situational and on a pitch count. 

to move back a level…I wasn’t thrilled about our LB situation last year - we are putting our eggs in Anthony Walker will play 15-17 games basket and I hope for our sake that plays out. We were thin their last year we are thin again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In other Camp news..  

Justin Herbert, Chargers agree to five-year, $262.5 million extension

Herbert will receive '$218.7 million in guarantees' in his new deal. 💰

https://www.nfl.com/news/justin-herbert-chargers-agree-to-five-year-262-5-million-extension

Browns return to practice Thursday

The money that QB's get is just plain bonkers.  But what are ya gonna do?  Let him walk and hire Baker Mayfield?  Teddy Twatwater?   Andy Dalton?  Not if you want to challenge for a championship.  It's madness.  

20 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

This was a suggestion I made last year (kicking Myles inside on some downs) it wasn’t met as pleasantly as I thought it would be met.  But We saw this more in prior years and I believe we had success deploying it for some of the reasons you stated.  I don’t think or know if Zadarius offers the same flexibility…there was talk that he faded down the stretch too and I think his game from what I’ve seen bodes well on the outside.  Tomlinson offers flexibility (not as a DE).  My hope is maybe McGuire flashes, everyone else including Okoronkwo should be situational and on a pitch count. 

to move back a level…I wasn’t thrilled about our LB situation last year - we are putting our eggs in Anthony Walker will play 15-17 games basket and I hope for our sake that plays out. We were thin their last year we are thin again. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The reason I think it's a better idea this year (especially if there's an injury to Tomlinson or Ika); is the FO brought in so much more competition and depth on the edges.  My thinking is the drop-off outside from kicking Garrett inside isn't nearly as risky at it would have been in 2022.  I'm hoping some of the veteran DTs they added are just as good or better than Winfrey would have been anyway.  Outside of an occasional good play from Winfrey, he still had a lot of bad habits like pad height out of stance he repeated far too much for comfort.  Like you I hope McGuire and Okoronkwo and others can give us the reliable situational reps. Meanwhile it will also be interesting to see if their experience and new coaching has them at an improved level.  

I have the same thought you do about Za'Darius moving inside not so much as an insult to him; but Garrett has elite power, explosion and quicks to make him lining up anywhere near that football something for offenses to worry about.  Meanwhile, Za'Darius has made Pro Bowls on the edge so that if we did kick Garrett inside that's a much better drop-off than anything we had last year.  I wasn't a big fan of Clowney.  He reminded me of the types of FAs we had in the past that thought "I ain't risking the rest of my career on trying to bring Cleveland's defense to another level."  When the veteran lined up offsides on 3rd and 4 one game and twice in another game - that's a lack of focus defining his inner chest. 

You have a legit concern about the LBer Corps being thin. Heading into 2020 I was really worried about the LBer Corps; but they never prevented us from going 11-5.   I think our new DC will be exactly what the doctor ordered for this group.  We're gonna find out real soon... 

On 7/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, Orion said:

The money that QB's get is just plain bonkers.  But what are ya gonna do?  Let him walk and hire Baker Mayfield?  Teddy Twatwater?   Andy Dalton?  Not if you want to challenge for a championship.  It's madness.  

It will be interesting to see how giant of a contract Watson's is in comparison this time next year.

I have a feeling his "groundbreaking" contract isn't going to look as enormous by then. 

Edit: When he signed the contract in March of 2022, he was the highest paid QB in the NFL. He is now 8th, and Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson still haven't been paid yet. 

Edit Part Deux: Lamar has signed a contract extension. Burrow and someone else I think are due or about to be due. I can't remember who, because the heat this week has melted my brain.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, SdBacker80 said:

We are shopping at ALDIs at this point - y

LOL...I like that.  Aldi's pretty much sucks.  I like my grocery store neat and clean.  At Aldi's you have shit just thrown all over the place.  It's like shopping in Eastern Europe.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Lately, every time I compliment something we're eating - my wife says I got it at Aldi's.  Finally, I asked did I ever insult that place or something?  She said "no, I just want you to know you can find some really good bargains if/when you're not close minded."   This can apply to the Browns too when we remember Josh Cribbs was an undrafted free agent once upon a time.