THE BROWNS BOARD

Players getting PAID

Korsou Dawg

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Herbert was inevitable.  Burrow & Jackson next.  We had cause for concern last Spring when we paid Watson…and we ate a sh!tburger last year with the suspension.  Now he’s back and it is the Chargers turn to pay a QB, Cincy and Baltimore is next.  And then the “tough” calls on the supporting cast will come.  Three teams will likely fight it out with for playoff spots 

Now Andrew Thomas has played okay.  That contract though  is too rich for my blood and I know RBs don’t get paid or appreciated - Saquon isn’t the most healthy guy either but their average QB and Average LT get paid- and they slip him a one year deal and not even at the top of running back ladder.  Ouch. 

Good on Andrew Thomas.  He holds a special place for me because he was the last 1st round OL that myself and Tour were lock-step in agreement on.  

Dude had a very rough rookie season, but he has grown into a top 10 LT, maybe even higher depending on how you view career length and injury as a factor. 

Nice to see attention paid to the big men in the trenches. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Herbert was inevitable.  Burrow & Jackson next.  We had cause for concern last Spring when we paid Watson…and we ate a sh!tburger last year with the suspension.  Now he’s back and it is the Chargers turn to pay a QB, Cincy and Baltimore is next.  And then the “tough” calls on the supporting cast will come.  Three teams will likely fight it out with for playoff spots 

Now Andrew Thomas has played okay.  That contract though  is too rich for my blood and I know RBs don’t get paid or appreciated - Saquon isn’t the most healthy guy either but their average QB and Average LT get paid- and they slip him a one year deal and not even at the top of running back ladder.  Ouch. 

Lamar already signed a new deal some time ago, much higher than Watson, though less guaranteed. Burrow should get the highest in the league before the season starts. Next (off-)season Lawrence is next.

As it stands, Watson is only the seventh highest paid QB, with guys who have showed decline like Wilson and Rodger ahead of him. While people were screening bloody murder when he was signed, that's just fair market value. He is 3rd all-time in career QBR. If he plays anything like that the next couple of seasons, I would rephrase to: bargain. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Lamar already signed a new deal some time ago, much higher than Watson, though less guaranteed. Burrow should get the highest in the league before the season starts. Next (off-)season Lawrence is next.

As it stands, Watson is only the seventh highest paid QB, with guys who have showed decline like Wilson and Rodger ahead of him. While people were screening bloody murder when he was signed, that's just fair market value. He is 3rd all-time in career QBR. If he plays anything like that the next couple of seasons, I would rephrase to: bargain. 

If he doesn't bring us a SB its a complete failure to me.. Period!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

The most basic of arithmetic is a problem for you, isn't it?

SB or Bust... Is that too hard for you?... Apparently it is...

14 minutes ago, nickers said:

SB or Bust... Is that too hard for you?... Apparently it is...

26 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

The most basic of arithmetic is a problem for you, isn't it?

But he's got..................................................................................................................LOL!🐏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But he's got..................................................................................................................LOL!🐏

It's that or the ...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, nickers said:

If they ever did a "where are they now" story about Linus and Sally in the Pumpkin Patch - I'll bet they ended up with more kids from those visits on Halloween than the family on Walton's Mountain ever had.  

Anyway, they gave up a lot to get Watson so I'll guarantee you're not the only one that feels this way.  I wanted us to draft the guy when all we would have had to do was use the 1st overall pick we earned from 1-15 football (with a contract that would have been restricted to the rookie salary cap).  At the time, we wouldn't have to worry how long he needed to be suspended for - and how long the rust factor would take before seeing the same guy that led Houston to the playoffs in his 1st 2 of 3 years suiting up there. I just think the Browns Owner and FO made it all way tougher than it ever needed to be in bringing Watson here.  All of that said, he's here and this offseason sure unfolded far better than most of us thought it would.

I don't have a problem with your point.  We've had some board members pass away in recent years while we were in "Cleveland Browns fans just need to be more patient mode."   When reasonable people have to endure the unreasonable circumstances this fanbase has to endure for decades - there comes a time when "now or never" seems pretty reasonable.  I'm gonna agree we need to make it happen damn soon; but I'll chicken shit it to while Watson is here hoping it's this year.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@nickers and @TexasAg1969 I am hopeful about Watson's play, yes. Calling him a bust if he does not win the Browns our first SB is just plain idiotic regardless. Not being capable of counting to 10 kind of idiotic.   

Whatever helps you sleep at night , Puppy...

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@nickers and @TexasAg1969 I am hopeful about Watson's play, yes. Calling him a bust if he does not win the Browns our first SB is just plain idiotic regardless. Not being capable of counting to 10 kind of idiotic.   

I got the impression "it's a bust" is different than "he's a bust" in this conversation.  He's attacking the "all or none" plan in this debate.  If he wanted to attack the QB he would have typed "Watson is a bust" in this.  We've even had an NFL MVP at QB not even able to lead us to the Super Bowl, let alone win it.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

As someone who's dating a latina, it's actually pronounced 'papi'.  

Well this is America... Bye!

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

I got the impression "it's a bust" is different than "he's a bust" in this conversation.  He's attacking the "all or none" plan in this debate.  If he wanted to attack the QB he would have typed "Watson is a bust" in this.  We've even had an NFL MVP at QB not even able to lead us to the Super Bowl, let alone win it.  

Korsou had too much Buffalo Trace... He'll live I think...

On 7/28/2023 at 6:01 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't every season Super Bowl or bust?

I don't know about that, but according to Fans (as in fanatic) every August the Browns win the SB and the Aggies win the N.C.🤗:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't know about that, but according to Fans (as in fanatic) every August the Browns win the SB and the Aggies win the N.C.🤗:rolleyes:

We always win it on paper... Or win the off season... I'm sick of visits to the playoffs.. Saw a bunch in the 80's I want the whole monty... or it's just another wasted season for me...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

We always win it on paper... Or win the off season... I'm sick of visits to the playoffs.. Saw a bunch in the 80's I want the whole monty... or it's just another wasted season for me...

To me it is very situational, I felt like we pissed away a great opportunity with the Chiefs divisional game.  I said it then too the opportunity was there.   But Looking back, appearing in or winning a Super Bowl with Baker was probably out of the question unless you had a perfect storm.  

The 80s no question, 88 team I believe that was a missed opportunity.  The 87 Browns team may have had problems with the Giants Defense. 

I will be disappointed if this core Browns team- Chubb, Watson, Garrett do not get to a Super Bowl. 

I guess my point is that some on here want to make it out as some kind of tragedy if the Browns don't win a Super Bowl with Watson, because of the draft picks used to get him, and his contract.

As compared to what? The first 50+ Super Bowl seasons pre-Watson that the Browns didn't win either? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nickers said:

We always win it on paper... Or win the off season

I used to say, We're extremely entertaining in the offseason.  But then, the regular season starts....and we're not entertaining at all.

That, of course, changed when Stefanski was hired.  

Last year, Roger GoToHell screwed us over by not adhering to the new sentence administrator who said 6 weeks and instead took our QB away for 11 weeks.  Hopefully we screw Roger to the tune of a SB victory.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:03 AM, nickers said:

I have often said that anything but a Superbowl win is a failed season. So if we are going to stick it on individual players, all of our players since the 1964 championship team have been complete failures.

42 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

all of our players since the 1964 championship team have been complete failures.

Which of course, is not true.  Else we have a complete failure currently being enshrined in the HOF.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Which of course, is not true.  Else we have a complete failure currently being enshrined in the HOF.

I don't disagree, but if we apply Nicks criteria for Watson, it sure is.  Joe Thomas didn't win us a Superbowl, or even come close for that matter.  He was a player on some of the worst teams in NFL history.  

What did Sipe do...he didn't win a Superbowl, he's a schmuck.

Bernie, he didn't win, he is just a clod.

Clay Matthews, no wonder he isn't in the HOF, he didn't win anything. They should just remove his name from the HOF ballot.

Those guys didn't do anything more to help us win.  They are all pretty much the same as Jim Bundren or Zukaskis.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1