THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawand Jones is a MANSQUATCH among Lil' boys!

nickers

On 10/18/2023 at 7:04 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I'd think Conklin's days with the Browns are over, I'm sure the Browns would save a ton of money if Jones replaced Conklin, which will come in handy in the very near future.

Plus, Conklin is always hurt. 

Didn't they extend his contract length and salary amount this past off-season?  I thought I read that on the Browns website.  I can't remember how much cake, if any, they guaranteed.  It's too bad because in 1 respect Conklin is the ultimate professional and very talented when healthy.  The problem is what you alluded to about him never being healthy. He tries to play through injuries a lot; but that has made him vulnerable to collateral injuries.

Now for the blind side, I think the Browns have already blindly committed to Jed's 5 year option. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Didn't they extend his contract length and salary amount this past off-season?  I thought I read that on the Browns website.  I can't remember how much cake, if any, they guaranteed.  It's too bad because in 1 respect Conklin is the ultimate professional and very talented when healthy.  The problem is what you alluded to about him never being healthy. He tries to play through injuries a lot; but that has made him vulnerable to collateral injuries.

Now for the blind side, I think the Browns have already blindly committed to Jed's 5 year option. 

Committing to Jed is like committing suicide....

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Conklin should really consider retiring at this point. I believe he restructured before this season into a 3 year deal. 

Jones is Conklin's longterm replacement at RT. Not sure what they will do at LT. Some have hypothesized that Jones could be the LT, I just don't know about that. I'd probably stick with him at RT and try and fix the LT problem. (Easier said than done)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Conklin should really consider retiring at this point. I believe he restructured before this season into a 3 year deal. 

Jones is Conklin's longterm replacement at RT. Not sure what they will do at LT. Some have hypothesized that Jones could be the LT, I just don't know about that. I'd probably stick with him at RT and try and fix the LT problem. (Easier said than done)

Easier said than done…is spot on.  Pat Kirwan made a point a couple weeks ago about expansion football.  A caller mentioned the need for the NFL to expand in London and Berlin and other places- Kirwan pointed to the lack of blindside protectors as a concern when you are adding teams.  He mentioned there are a good number of teams that have no answer and no options at that spot.  That’s an issue if you are trying to protect 230M investments.

The market will be interesting this coming offseason and I don’t think we will have the financial capability to play in it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Regarding Conklin- yep, the Browns are on the hook for a lot of dead cap for Jack. Not only 2024, but 2025 as well- unless he takes a retirement buyout. 

Remains to be seen if he'll try to come back from that ACL injury next year. 

And old Jed's a millionaire- the Browns picked up his fifth year 2024 option for $16 million.  At best he's average, and at worst a liability.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding Conklin- yep, the Browns are on the hook for a lot of dead cap for Jack. Not only 2024, but 2025 as well- unless he takes a retirement buyout. 

Remains to be seen if he'll try to come back form that ACL injury next year. 

And old Jed's a millionaire- the Browns picked up his fifth year 2024 option for $16 million.  At best he's average, and at worst a liability.  

The Browns are just a flat out stupid, poorly run franchise...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree.  Conklin has had nothing but bad luck trying to stay healthy.  I think we got into this mess at Left Tackle in the first place by taking Wills who is better suited to play Right Tackle thinking it'll be an easy re-wire.  We was wrong.  Let's keep Jones in his comfort zone where he has a chance to develop into something great.  

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Gosh, Mr. Eeyore, maybe you should find another team to follow?   

Stream tenfoldkayden - not all the same by tfkayden | Listen online for  free on SoundCloud

They keep this shit up I just might...

• 3 weeks later...

Re-posting this from the Flacco thread with h/t to @TexasAg1969

Wow! Just wow. 100% pass protection success against TJ Watt. No pressures, hurries, nada, bupkis! We were impressed by his size from day one, but look at his footwork, the awareness, and his refined use of hands. It is all there!

What a pick! If we re-draft today based on current play, I say Dawand goes first round. Possibly top 10. This kid is worth his considerable weight in gold! 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Just in, dawand has a knee injury that requires season ending surgery. Occurred in practice last week…

Link?

8 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I saw it in stefanski press conference but here it is

Gahhh!.. there goes my OROY hopes for him...

• Upvote 1

As much as this all sucks, I'll tell you one thing. The depth at face value of our tackles next year is going to be well above average with the amount of playing time these dudes are getting. Obviously it hasn't been ideal but I also don't think the now 4th and 5th string dudes have been abysmal either. 

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Gahhh!.. there goes my OROY hopes for him...

Well the "good" news- if you want to call it that- is Jed Wills is eligible to come off IR...  

"However, Wills probably will need more time to recover. Veteran Geron Christian has started at left tackle since Wills’ injury and has done a valiant job protecting the various quarterbacks who have been under center in that span." 

There's been speculation when Wills comes back switching Christian from left to right tackle. though I have to wonder...  IIRC EDIT: Fact check Wills was indeed a right tackle at Alabama, and the Browns switched him over to the left side.  So play Wills at RT, and leave Christian at LT?  

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, tiamat63 said:

Would also help us to understand why he struggled with Watt. 

But DID he struggle with him?  I could swear I read where he pretty much nullified Watt. 

• Thanks 1

Jones was a solid backup to Conklin, I wonder if his massive size may lead to more lower body injuries that could derail his career. Heard it’s an MCL and he’ll be ready to go before next season.

Wills will be back and we have decent depth otherwise, Pocic injury didn’t seem serious too. If anyone can keep the group playing well it’ll be Callahan. Maybe they’ll need to add another depth piece though.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bbedward said:

Wills will be back and we have decent depth otherwise, Pocic injury didn’t seem serious too. If anyone can keep the group playing well it’ll be Callahan. Maybe they’ll need to add another depth piece though.

There's going to be some shifting going on with with the OL, I think that's obvious. We've got a ton of money invested, and we're getting mixed results. This pains me to say, and lord strike me down, but Bitonio is starting to lose a step and he costs a fortune. Teller's pass blocking is so hit and miss, but he's younger than Bitonio. I like Nick Harris as a Center, but I'm not sure about his size for Guards. Still, Harris would be a lot cheaper than Teller. 

Long story short, things will change, but the good news is we have depth, and REAL talented depth. Just need to stay away from the damn injury bug. 

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Steelers, game 2 I believe? 

I thought so.  He did a good job in that game, while injured.

Wills is now gone for the year...but he's been gone for some time now anyway.  What hurts is losing the DLineman Hurst.  :(