THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawand Jones is a MANSQUATCH among Lil' boys!

nickers

On 8/7/2023 at 11:52 AM, mjp28 said:

Reminds you of a  HIGH SCHOOL Game with a really BIG  guy who would smash the younger guy on the other side of the line. EXCEPT these are the NFL players  the best on the planet.   Can he keep it up against them ?   We certainly hope so.

LOL, mjp.  We're both around the same age- so you probably remember a guy by the name of John Hicks- offensive line. Ohio State, Jets NFL. John Hay high school in Cleveland. We (Benedictine) played John Hay several times when Hicks was there- and it was exactly as you described. Man among boys. 

Oh, and my good friend and co season ticket holder had an unforgettable close encounter with Hicks- playing baseball. Don was a catcher and um- Hicks kind of steamrolled him at home plate.  

• 1 month later...

Rookie had himself a day..

Dawand Jones allowed one quarterback pressure on 37 allowed-pressure opportunities on his way to a 67.4 pass-blocking grade and recorded a 74.1 run-blocking grade.

Enjoy watching the big man's foot speed, kick, balance & long armed hand fights 🍿

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

So much potential there. If he keeps improving, it is his position, and I doubt we see much more of Conklin.

Now if only he had a big, or slightly littler brother who could plat LT!

I'd think Conklin's days with the Browns are over, I'm sure the Browns would save a ton of money if Jones replaced Conklin, which will come in handy in the very near future.

Plus, Conklin is always hurt. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes, he is. Seems he only plays half seasons if that much.

He's not worth what were giving him.. Would love to see him and wills replaced...

On 10/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, gumby73 said:

Rookie had himself a day..

Dawand Jones allowed one quarterback pressure on 37 allowed-pressure opportunities on his way to a 67.4 pass-blocking grade and recorded a 74.1 run-blocking grade.

Enjoy watching the big man's foot speed, kick, balance & long armed hand fights 🍿

This cutup saved me quite a bit of time, thanks for that Gumbs.   A few thoughts.

- Watching Oline snaps and sifting through every single play still truly matters.  Because, let's say in 19 snaps, there's going to be MAYBE half dozen that really clue you into where that player is at.   I've found it to be no different watching college QB's anymore.   My best example was when I had my going over of Matt Corral at Ole Miss.   You get a handful of plays where the details paint the bigger picture.

- This goes back to those bigger bodies that Bama was cranking out for a while there at tackle who were just too big to play OT in the NFL - Robinson and Leatherwood come to mind.   Orlando Brown Jr is another example, minus being from Bama.   In order to succeed at that size, you need elite wingspan and hand usage.  Your initial pass pro punch is going to make a break your ability to hold up 1 on 1.       Dawand has clearly been working on his.   I would suspect, because of again his size to his mobility, is why he would show up better at the longer/taller edge players such as Myles, Bosa, Armstead, Hendrickson, Arden, etc etc...       Because those are the body types that allow him to use his wingspan and strength more than anything.  Larger strike area means more ability to slow down the initial rush.  

Would also help us to understand why he struggled with Watt.  TJ is a bit more compact compared to those I've listed, while he maintains a great wingspan for his height,  and his ability to work off from a tackles strike and sort of 'pace' and play off that first punch is second to none.   Think of it like someone using your own momentum against you.        This also gives me pause because we have some of those similarly more compact and twitchy guys coming up on the schedule - Ekubam, Nwosu, Bryce Huff, to name a few.      So while this is a great start, Jonesy needs to keep building on it and help to slowly develop those weaknesses into potential, shall we say - draws?  

While that is all good and well, there are times he still finds himself extended beyond the stability of his base, and sort of lunging his upper body into contact instead of trusting his arm length.     From the linked video above....

DJF1.thumb.jpg.98f62036521f940ad426422dfffd31f8.jpg

This is the best example I can find.   Jermaine Johnson in the pre-season saw this and tried ripping him down by pulling on his arms and toppling him over when he saw this.  Problem being that he's such a mountain of a man, that's much easier said than done.   

I'm content at Dawand's development.  But I'm also keen to the fact that, per my snap counts, he had chip help or was dealing with a widened rusher from Njoku being inline on over half his drop backs. The majority of the rest of the drop backs involved screens, some boot action where he was washing the 1 or 3tech and/or the Browns going to the quick passing game.        So there was still significant help throw his way against San Fran in the form of personnel and playcalling.    Granted, it makes sense - questionable QB play, so you protect the edges and do what you can to generate cheap offense while avoiding turnovers.      But I'm not one to easily impress, so while I recognize the level of game, I also recognize that DJ still has flaws he needs to continuously improve on.    I'll check back in here after the game today, because I doubt the coaches will be giving him the level of help he received against Bosa.   And like I mentioned above, the Colts have a couple of those shorter, 'boxy' type edge rushers.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Say hello to your new starting LT next year. Conklin will be back and under contract, Wills has to move on. 

What, for another half to one quarter season? I don't think betting on Conklin at this point makes too much sense even at RT, so Jed remains unless we get a jewel somehow.

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Brownies have already used the 5th year option on Jed.  

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. Guys on the podcast were talking about it and weren't sure how it'd go. You always need Tackle depth, but you can't pay big bucks for someone to ride the bench. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but you won't be able to keep Thanos on the sidelines. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. Guys on the podcast were talking about it and weren't sure how it'd go. You always need Tackle depth, but you can't pay big bucks for someone to ride the bench. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but you won't be able to keep Thanos on the sidelines. 

At some point... You have to make a decision on Wills... He's just been average... And moreso a liability... Id find any way possible to move on from him...

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Next thing ya know ol’ Jed’s a millionaire…

Inquiring minds want to know if ol' Jed and DW are moving out to Beverly Hills together to lie next to their cement pond while Ellie May gives them "The Special".🤩

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:29 AM, tiamat63 said:

Brownies have already used the 5th year option on Jed.  

Unfortunate....

On 10/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, nickers said:

At some point... You have to make a decision on Wills... He's just been average... And moreso a liability... Id find any way possible to move on from him...

Sometimes Nickers, using the "just cut him" argument doesn't work from a cap perspective. Both Wills and Conklin carry significant ($10 million+) dead cap numbers for 2024.  OTOH Jones is currently playing on his 4th round rookie contract that by comparison is paying him peanuts. 

On 10/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, tiamat63 said:

This cutup saved me quite a bit of time, thanks for that Gumbs.   A few thoughts.

- Watching Oline snaps and sifting through every single play still truly matters.  Because, let's say in 19 snaps, there's going to be MAYBE half dozen that really clue you into where that player is at.   I've found it to be no different watching college QB's anymore.   My best example was when I had my going over of Matt Corral at Ole Miss.   You get a handful of plays where the details paint the bigger picture.

- This goes back to those bigger bodies that Bama was cranking out for a while there at tackle who were just too big to play OT in the NFL - Robinson and Leatherwood come to mind.   Orlando Brown Jr is another example, minus being from Bama.   In order to succeed at that size, you need elite wingspan and hand usage.  Your initial pass pro punch is going to make a break your ability to hold up 1 on 1.       Dawand has clearly been working on his.   I would suspect, because of again his size to his mobility, is why he would show up better at the longer/taller edge players such as Myles, Bosa, Armstead, Hendrickson, Arden, etc etc...       Because those are the body types that allow him to use his wingspan and strength more than anything.  Larger strike area means more ability to slow down the initial rush.  

Would also help us to understand why he struggled with Watt.  TJ is a bit more compact compared to those I've listed, while he maintains a great wingspan for his height,  and his ability to work off from a tackles strike and sort of 'pace' and play off that first punch is second to none.   Think of it like someone using your own momentum against you.        This also gives me pause because we have some of those similarly more compact and twitchy guys coming up on the schedule - Ekubam, Nwosu, Bryce Huff, to name a few.      So while this is a great start, Jonesy needs to keep building on it and help to slowly develop those weaknesses into potential, shall we say - draws?  

While that is all good and well, there are times he still finds himself extended beyond the stability of his base, and sort of lunging his upper body into contact instead of trusting his arm length.     From the linked video above....

DJF1.thumb.jpg.98f62036521f940ad426422dfffd31f8.jpg

This is the best example I can find.   Jermaine Johnson in the pre-season saw this and tried ripping him down by pulling on his arms and toppling him over when he saw this.  Problem being that he's such a mountain of a man, that's much easier said than done.   

I'm content at Dawand's development.  But I'm also keen to the fact that, per my snap counts, he had chip help or was dealing with a widened rusher from Njoku being inline on over half his drop backs. The majority of the rest of the drop backs involved screens, some boot action where he was washing the 1 or 3tech and/or the Browns going to the quick passing game.        So there was still significant help throw his way against San Fran in the form of personnel and playcalling.    Granted, it makes sense - questionable QB play, so you protect the edges and do what you can to generate cheap offense while avoiding turnovers.      But I'm not one to easily impress, so while I recognize the level of game, I also recognize that DJ still has flaws he needs to continuously improve on.    I'll check back in here after the game today, because I doubt the coaches will be giving him the level of help he received against Bosa.   And like I mentioned above, the Colts have a couple of those shorter, 'boxy' type edge rushers.

A possibly off the mark observation/theory l have about Jones is that he’s not going to rack up a lot of holding calls. His blocking style comfort zone seems to be to use his hands and size to keep opponents literally at arms’ reach. A sort of push ‘em back push ‘em back approach where, as long as his feet can maintain position, works for him. 

And it doesn’t allow the defender to get close enough where he would have the opportunity to hold him.

Sound like a sound theory? And is there a website that keeps track of holding calls where l could verify this?

45 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Dear lord what shoe size is that?!? 

Mama would call those bad boyz a pair of       "Canal Boats"  😃   

15" plus 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:31 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

A possibly off the mark observation/theory l have about Jones is that he’s not going to rack up a lot of holding calls. His blocking style comfort zone seems to be to use his hands and size to keep opponents literally at arms’ reach. A sort of push ‘em back push ‘em back approach where, as long as his feet can maintain position, works for him. 

And it doesn’t allow the defender to get close enough where he would have the opportunity to hold him.

Sound like a sound theory? And is there a website that keeps track of holding calls where l could verify this?

To an extent.  Dawand already has two? I believe holding calls against him.  That's in the running game though.  Which is where I maintain that, at his size, his feet will likely always been an issue creating drive in the running game.  However, where you are right and how your theory fits, is keeping defenders at arms reach.  That isn't really possible when you're washing down anyone on the IDL.  Good footwork, low base, and drive are the biggest 3.   When we run vertical zone, he just doesn't move the way smaller tackles would.  Which also makes for a potential hit and miss in the screen game.   I showed in my review thread where he was blown up by releasing downfield and getting smoked from too much space allowed between himself on the LB.   But he also came back in week 2 and had a nice HB screen setup to his side, where he was tighter to the line and let the RB work closer to his setup.  

I know the Brownies have 9 holding calls on the season, but I don't have the breakdown on how many assigned to whom.  Off top, I know Pocic and Dawand each have 1.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

To an extent.  Dawand already has two? I believe holding calls against him.  That's in the running game though.  Which is where I maintain that, at his size, his feet will likely always been an issue creating drive in the running game.  However, where you are right and how your theory fits, is keeping defenders at arms reach.  That isn't really possible when you're washing down anyone on the IDL.  Good footwork, low base, and drive are the biggest 3.   When we run vertical zone, he just doesn't move the way smaller tackles would.  Which also makes for a potential hit and miss in the screen game.   I showed in my review thread where he was blown up by releasing downfield and getting smoked from too much space allowed between himself on the LB.   But he also came back in week 2 and had a nice HB screen setup to his side, where he was tighter to the line and let the RB work closer to his setup.  

I know the Brownies have 9 holding calls on the season, but I don't have the breakdown on how many assigned to whom.  Off top, I know Pocic and Dawand each have 1.

Teller has at least 1 or 2 that I remember.

• Thanks 1