THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawand Jones is a MANSQUATCH among Lil' boys!

nickers

21 minutes ago, nickers said:

I just absolutely love this kid... I think we have a keeper!!

I was AMAZED at his size and balance, and QUICK FEET for a big man. He has the agility to play basketball..... me, I'd hire Joe Thomas to work with him a bit. He's IMPRESSIVE.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, calfoxwc said:

I was AMAZED at his size and balance, and QUICK FEET for a big man. He has the agility to play basketball..... me, I'd hire Joe Thomas to work with him a bit. He's IMPRESSIVE.

First, I don't think you would have to Hire him.

Second, just because Joe was one of the best to ever play doesn't mean he can teach that.  Einstein taught students at Princeton and other universities but that doesn't mean they came out as smart.  Sometimes you are the best and that is just the way it is.  

Some things you can't teach.  You just have.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Second, just because Joe was one of the best to ever play doesn't mean he can teach that.  Einstein taught students at Princeton and other universities but that doesn't mean they came out as smart.  Sometimes you are the best and that is just the way it is.  

It's the same in Music.. yeah.. you can be a good musician.. But you can't just pass along your own intangibles.. I mean.. Joe Satriani taught Kirk Hammett of Metallicrap how to play guitar.. Kirk Hammett still blows!

On 8/4/2023 at 1:38 PM, Browns149 said:

I watched him on a lot of plays. He has the ability to be very good. Just hope he can stay in decent shape

Reminds you of a  HIGH SCHOOL Game with a really BIG  guy who would smash the younger guy on the other side of the line. EXCEPT these are the NFL players  the best on the planet.   Can he keep it up against them ?   We certainly hope so.

He’s coming into a good situation.

Callahan as a coach.

Bitonio, Teller and Conklin established veterans that a young guy can observe and learn the tricks of the trade. 

Joe Thomas lurking…see comments above.

And he’s got the physical tools that you can’t teach. 

If you are OSU fan you saw a guy that was a little raw his first couple years.  But you didn’t see stupid penalties and he competed against some of the best competition. 

He needs to grasp it all soon (maybe this year) definitely by next July. 

He’s going to go against some freakish speed on the edge at this level I want to see how he holds up….I don’t see too many guys going through him. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s coming into a good situation.

Callahan as a coach.

Bitonio, Teller and Conklin established veterans that a young guy can observe and learn the tricks of the trade. 

Joe Thomas lurking…see comments above.

And he’s got the physical tools that you can’t teach. 

If you are OSU fan you saw a guy that was a little raw his first couple years.  But you didn’t see stupid penalties and he competed against some of the best competition. 

He needs to grasp it all soon (maybe this year) definitely by next July. 

He’s going to go against some freakish speed on the edge at this level I want to see how he holds up….I don’t see too many guys going through him. 

Either tackle position could be his to grab next training camp. 

On 8/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Either tackle position could be his to grab next training camp. 

I read that Myles Garrett completely overwhelmed him throughout 1 of the practices.  I would have preferred to read they at least battled and Wills won some of those.  Left Tackle is supposed to be a great athlete that doesn't get repeatedly beat and embarrassed.  If he can't get the job done - would the Browns be smart to just hand the job to Wills protecting the blind side for 17 games?   Seems weird they'd guarantee Watson a 230 million $ contract only to be so careless with who is protecting him on the edge of the blind side.  There's teams in THIS division that want that guaranteed 230 million $ contract to fail and if Left Tackle is our biggest weakness on the line - guess what they're going to exploit?

I really hope I'm wrong here.   

On 8/7/2023 at 11:44 AM, nickers said:

It's the same in Music.. yeah.. you can be a good musician.. But you can't just pass along your own intangibles.. I mean.. Joe Satriani taught Kirk Hammett of Metallicrap how to play guitar.. Kirk Hammett still blows!

Or, it's like John Elway not having the ability to draft the right QB.  How long did it take before he finally caved and went after Peyton Manning?

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:10 AM, nickers said:

I just absolutely love this kid... I think we have a keeper!!

Good topic!  Here's an article I found about him on clevelandbrowns.com:

Bill Callahan impressed by 'major steps' from rookie OT Dawand Jones 

Jones played 74 snaps at the Hall of Fame Game and didn’t allow a QB pressure

Aug 08, 2023 at 11:47 AM

071223_DocProfile

Doc Louallen

Contributor

The career of rookie OT Dawand Jones is off to a quality — and durable — start. 

Jones, a fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, played every snap during Thursday's game against the New York Jets without any breaks. He played for 74 plays, the same number as his jersey, and didn't allow a QB pressure in 40 pass-blocking snaps, according to Pro Football Focus.

The performance showcased remarkable strides for Jones, who has been considered a potential steal in the draft due to his massive 6-foot-8, 375-pound frame.

"I really thought his pass protection took some major steps," offensive line coach Bill Callahan said." He still has a long way to go yet. We're still working on the run technique aspects of his play to make him a more complete player, but it was good to see him perform under the lights against good competition, taking third down sets, which are so critical to protection."

• Like 1

Besides weight and "health", what was the knock with this dude? Was it a nonchalant attitude, people wondered if he was serious about football? Can't remember for sure. I was surprised to see him go so late in the draft. When you have the intangibles, putting the rest of the tools in the bucket is just a matter of good coaching. Yes, I know, it often doesn't work out. 

This dude is a physical freak. I'm amazed at how well he moves. Hopefully he soaks up coaching like a sponge, and realizes he's in a great place with Callahan and a solid team upfront. 

38 minutes ago, FATE said:

Besides weight and "health", what was the knock with this dude? Was it a nonchalant attitude, people wondered if he was serious about football? Can't remember for sure. I was surprised to see him go so late in the draft. When you have the intangibles, putting the rest of the tools in the bucket is just a matter of good coaching. Yes, I know, it often doesn't work out. 

This dude is a physical freak. I'm amazed at how well he moves. Hopefully he soaks up coaching like a sponge, and realizes he's in a great place with Callahan and a solid team upfront. 

He was lit up the previous season by one of the few top-tier NFL pass rush prospects he faced. (Hutchinson).  So he got off to a rocky start, perception wise, in 2022. 

Regardless of his athletic profile, there will always be concerns about this size being a detriment to his play.  But also how long he can hold up as a massive human being with that frame. I.E. the seasons will wear on him (likely) faster than other lineman. 

The knock from menace2sports, the podcast from Urban's WR coach, was that DJ was entitled the last year+ within the Woody and didn't work at film, conditioning, technique, or the weight pile.

OTOH I thought I saw from an earlier article that DJ recognized the first week of rookie camp that he wasn't at the right level - and has been working on his conditioning.

We'll see.  Let's hope he's also doing enough to minimize the soft-tissue injuries.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:41 AM, ballpeen said:

ah, excellent point.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, Unsympathetic said:

The knock from menace2sports, the podcast from Urban's WR coach, was that DJ was entitled the last year+ within the Woody and didn't work at film, conditioning, technique, or the weight pile.

OTOH I thought I saw from an earlier article that DJ recognized the first week of rookie camp that he wasn't at the right level - and has been working on his conditioning.

We'll see.  Let's hope he's also doing enough to minimize the soft-tissue injuries.

I'm not sure that work ethic upgrades what we're already worrying about with our current Left Tackle - but I've recently heard that the Browns don't have plans for Jones at LT this year.  With Conklin's injury history at RT - it looks like the big feller has some opportunities ahead if he wants to put in the work. I get the sense he loves football on HIS terms; and that might not be such a bad starting point if there's a good locker room around him (role modeling professionalism).  We're gonna find out REAL soon!

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I'm not sure that work ethic upgrades what we're already worrying about with our current Left Tackle - but I've recently heard that the Browns don't have plans for Jones at LT this year.  With Conklin's injury history at RT - it looks like the big feller has some opportunities ahead if he wants to put in the work. I get the sense he loves football on HIS terms; and that might not be such a bad starting point if there's a good locker room around him (role modeling professionalism).  We're gonna find out REAL soon!

besides DTR have they announced the starting line up for tommorows game

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 1:22 PM, Flugel said:

I'll be thrilled if Jones can become the eventual starter at either tackle position, the Browns can't run from the salary cap monster forever. 

I have some doubts about his ability to be a LT longterm, but what the hell, you never know. Might as well try him out now and see what he can do. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be thrilled if Jones can become the eventual starter at either tackle position, the Browns can't run from the salary cap monster forever. 

I have some doubts about his ability to be a LT longterm, but what the hell, you never know. Might as well try him out now and see what he can do. 

Position versatility would be nice.  He’s probably ahead of Hudson so if either tackle goes down maybe he’s the first one off the bench. 

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Position versatility would be nice.  He’s probably ahead of Hudson so if either tackle goes down maybe he’s the first one off the bench. 

I'm happy he seems to be doing well, but I keep reminding myself about him and DTR that this is preseason.

As I said before, Deshone Kizer looked really good in his rookie preseason too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Speaking of the Browns and the salary cap, they just restructured Myles' contract to free up a boatload of space...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/08/browns-restructure-myles-garretts-contract-to-clear-12868-million-in-cap-space-have-the-most-space-in-nfl-now.html?fbclid=IwAR1w7V3LKL0aNUxkTh3hgjkfJNp74LlGPUXB-j7NQFkFxwTXEKpmLfNjbhQ

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn. Berry  at it again 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

he did play some LT for the Bucks

54 minutes ago, syd said:

he did play some LT for the Bucks

He's a mammoth man, I just wonder how well he would hold up against speed rushers. 

I also will watch in the upcoming years how he maintains (or doesn't) his weight. 

• 4 weeks later...

It will be fun watching how Jones stacks up in his first game against watt.

' “What awesome technique! Firm inside hand, great feet/balance, never leans on outside hand but uses it to punch and steer….bravo @dawandj79.″ ' Joe Thomas

I got his feet and balance right !

• Upvote 1