THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns cut's

syd

Cleveland Browns

• DB Chris Westry
  • Thanks 1

As the Cleveland Browns continue their trek toward their initial 53-man roster, they have made a surprising and unexpected move. One of their more valuable offensive line depth pieces who even started with the first team offense in the absence of Joel Bitionio, the Browns have waived guard Michael Dunn (according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero).

This could be a move where the Browns trust Dunn to hold tight while they roster a player who needs to hit Injured Reserve, then they reach back out. However, Dunn will have to clear waivers, however, so there is no guarantee he will not land immediately with another franchise.

This is surprising, Harris makes the team then ?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, syd said:

After cutting guard Michael Dunn, the Cleveland Browns have made roster moves with two other guards as well. They have placed Drew Forbes on the non-football injury list and have terminated the contract of Wes Martin. They now have no backups on the roster at guard.

The Browns wish Michael Dunn a “Happy Birthday”…and 2 hours later cut him.

IMG_4709.jpeg

3 hours ago, syd said:

As the Cleveland Browns continue their trek toward their initial 53-man roster, they have made a surprising and unexpected move. One of their more valuable offensive line depth pieces who even started with the first team offense in the absence of Joel Bitionio, the Browns have waived guard Michael Dunn (according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero).

This could be a move where the Browns trust Dunn to hold tight while they roster a player who needs to hit Injured Reserve, then they reach back out. However, Dunn will have to clear waivers, however, so there is no guarantee he will not land immediately with another franchise.

I hope so.  Dunn is way better than harris.  Hopefully we are trying to trade the guy.  He won't play center and he sucks at guard.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And they see nothing that stands out or that you can’t get off the street the week of a game. 

Seems like it, right......

Final cuts are a commin'.

4 hours ago, syd said:

Waived (2):

QB Kellen Mond

DE Charles Wiley

sorry syd but, These are from days ago. Mond was brought back after Dobbs was traded..(Mond was never officially waived..Teams have to 4pm/ never sent wavier to NFL) 

Kellen Mond is still on the roster Monday  (Here today, Might be gone tomorrow?)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

And they see nothing that stands out or that you can’t get off the street the week of a game. 

It would be best to have a guy on board longer than that.  I'd bet we pick someone up and have them on the PS and dressed for games.  You get to have that extra guy dressed this year.  It would be stupid to not do so.  To me having that guy around on gamedays would be a good learning tool for that young player.

JMO

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

IMG_4709.jpeg

This sucks Moose shoot!   I thought this guy was really reliable for us.  He could play either Guard spot or even Center if necessary. 

How'd they tell him? "Hey, we're giving you the next day off, and the rest of the year without pay.  Isn't that great?"  Someone like Carolina will probably add him to their hot mess - or anyone with a lot of injuries upfront.  They'll be able to thank Cleveland and Bill Callahan for developed player they can now plug and play.  

49 minutes ago, Flugel said:

This sucks Moose shoot!   I thought this guy was really reliable for us.  He could play either Guard spot or even Center if necessary. 

How'd they tell him? "Hey, we're giving you the next day off, and the rest of the year without pay.  Isn't that great?"  Someone like Carolina will probably add him to their hot mess - or anyone with a lot of injuries upfront.  They'll be able to thank Cleveland and Bill Callahan for developed player they can now plug and play.  

I thought he was going to make the 53, versatile guy.

Maybe they were going to put him on the PS?

Still a shitty way to treat a player.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

IMG_4709.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Flugel said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/28/browns-drew-forbes-nfi-wes-martin-cut/

"The most likely outcome to this situation is that the Browns have promised Michael Dunn a newer deal, allow themselves to clear a roster spot to place an injured player on Injured Reserve, then will inevitably re-sign him."

27 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Agree..

Something does not feel right with this decision. Mainly because Drew Forbes hasn't been able to stay on the field since Drew was drafted.. 

Here's two options.

a.) Maybe this is over trying to get WR Micheal Woods III on the 53, to have a option to bring him back Oct./Nov? Same maybe true with Isiah Thomas or Alex Wright?   

b.) Dunn has played fairly well at Center too.  I'm hoping his birthday was getting a new deal worked that gets announced soon or after IR's can be moved..

In today's NFL. G/C Micheal Dunn's worth is more than just over a million. https://overthecap.com/player/michael-dunn/6362

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, syd said:

Surprising indeed!  Maybe that will lead to a fulltime starting position on a team that desperately needs more help on the OL. 

IMO, Harris is much better at Center than he is at Offensive Guard.  If anyone remembers the beginning of training camp last year - the Browns were happy enough with Harris' development that Center was his job to lose.  That, of course, lasted a couple of plays into the preseason game at Jacksonville when he suffered a season ending injury. 

Also, it didn't seem like some of our fanbase was as happy with Pocic when he 1st arrived here as they became AFTER the Browns gave him the opportunity to show people what he can do. He did really well for us before and after he got injured (and missed some games) last season.  At least we'll have 2 Centers the Browns are really comfortable with. The backup will probably also be counted on to play Guard if Bitonio or Teller has to miss any time. I think we already had Harris listed as a backup Guard in our depth chart thread. It looks like the Browns are very confident in Wypler and Harris to handle the backup duty at Guard or Center. Since they're both draft picks - they're probably a little more cost efficient to the cap.

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Agree..

Something does not feel right with this decision. Mainly because Drew Forbes hasn't been able to stay on the field since Drew was drafted.. 

Here's two options.

a.) Maybe this is over trying to get WR Micheal Woods III on the 53, to have a option to bring him back Oct./Nov? Same maybe true with Isiah Thomas or Alex Wright?   

b.) Dunn has played fairly well at Center too.  I'm hoping his birthday was getting a new deal worked that gets announced soon or after IR's can be moved..

In today's NFL. G/C Micheal Dunn's worth is more than just over a million. https://overthecap.com/player/michael-dunn/6362

Another thing I overlooked was Harris was a 5th round pick in 2020 and Wypler is a 6th round pick in 2023.  These options save the Browns a lot more money on those 1st contracts under the rookie salary cap restrictions.  Both played Center in college to provide the depth there as well as OG.  This will all be very important to our cap space moving forward...

24 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/28/browns-drew-forbes-nfi-wes-martin-cut/

"The most likely outcome to this situation is that the Browns have promised Michael Dunn a newer deal, allow themselves to clear a roster spot to place an injured player on Injured Reserve, then will inevitably re-sign him."

You and Gumbs might be right about that!  As always, stay tuned...

The biggest deal with Michael Dunn 

he is a vested player( more than 4 years of service)

Dunn is not exposed to the NFL waiver wire. (can't be claimed) But teams can call his agent to highball the browns

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It would be best to have a guy on board longer than that.  I'd bet we pick someone up and have them on the PS and dressed for games.  You get to have that extra guy dressed this year.  It would be stupid to not do so.  To me having that guy around on gamedays would be a good learning tool for that young player.

JMO

Normally I would say yes…we have 230M QB and a developmental mid round pick(looks like he has a promising career ahead of him) position settled hopefully.

if it means losing a guy like Diabate or Watkins - no.  Those are guys that could get some serious burn considering our pending free agent decisions in 2024 in both groups 

Austin Watkins, Jaelon Darden, T.Togiai, Demetric Felton Jr., Isaiah Thomas, Michael Dunn among the #Browns not making the initial 53 - but many will be back on PS or roster; Mohamoud Diabate and Ronnie Hickman have played their way onto the 53.  Per Mary K.

• Thanks 2

Just now, tiamat63 said:

I'm not one to revel in another man losing his job, but how in the hell Jordan Elliot survived the first and second round of cuts is just beyond me?

He must look sexy in practice...

• Haha 1