THE BROWNS BOARD

Dutch's Random Ohio State Droppings

1. Ryan Day, facing what is a make or break season, would not guarantee the starting QB spot to Kyle McCord. McCord enters the transfer portal instead of fighting for the starting gig again, almost goes to Nebraska, ends up at Syracuse.

2. You almost get the impression that Day never was sold on McCord. He tried to get North Carolina QB Drake May last offseason (probably the 2nd overall pick in next year's draft), and pounced on Kansas State's Will Howard (Highlight video at bottom). Howard is a big boy with wheels, along the lines of Josh Allen. He has one year of eligibility, then most likely it becomes the Air Noland Show. The last three years, Ohio State has rarely ran their QB, which makes life easier for opposing defenses. It seems like we will see the return of QB runs in the Buckeye offense. 

3. With the exception of WR Marvin Harrison Jr and Streetsboro's  DT Mike Hall, one by one draft eligible Buckeyes are coming back to Ohio State. The '24 team should be a deep squad. 

4. Ryan Day is giving up play-calling duties, it appears he's looking to hire a young, upcoming Tom Herman-like OC. There could be some firings on the coaching staff. The overall offense needs to get tougher, EVERYONE, the OLine, the TEs and the WRs have to get more physical and actually block. 

• Upvote 1

• mjp28 pinned this topic

Is OHIO STATE 2020+  the new  Alabama of prior decades ?   Is Alabama and the   SEC  "in general"   getting  softer and the  BIG TEN  on the rise again ?

♣︎   DISCUSS .....

It's pretty much the SEC and the Big Ten starting next season, and everyone else.

I don't like the direction NCAA football is heading, at all. I guess I've turned into the old guy yelling at clouds, but I'm going to miss the old Big Ten, SEC, Pac 10, Big 8, Big East and ACC. If I was King of NCAA football, conferences would be capped at 12 and there would be a limit to how far apart schools could be, but alas, I'm not. 

So I'm going to keep following Ohio State and just shrug at college football in general. I do like the 12 team playoff, much better than the old bowl system. 

Ohio State has hit the transfer portal again, this time picking up RB Quinshon Judkins from Ole Miss. Then 5'11, 210lb junior-to-be has 2725 yards rushing in two seasons with Ole Miss, with 31 touchdowns rushing. It has been speculated that OSU back Treveyon Henderson is leaning towards returning, not sure if perhaps he's changed his mind, thus Judkins coming here to replace him. 

Edit: This is not official yet as of 9:52EST Monday night. Every thing apparently is pointing for Judkins joining Ohio State, but it has not been finalized, yet. A thousand apologies to the one or two people who read this. 😉

Edit Part Deux: So at 11:13EST Monday night Judkins made it official, he and his two years of eligibility WILL be coming to Columbus. Treveyon Henderson has until next Monday, Jan 15th to declare for the NFL Draft. Most OSU players who could leave for the draft early have decided to stay, still waiting on a few to announce. 

A few more OSU droppings...

1. Like I said before, it appears almost every Buckeye who could leave early for the NFL is returning to Columbus, and this now includes CB Denzel Burke. He was projected as a fringe first rounder/2nd rounder, but decided to return for his senior year.

2. Ryan Day fired special teams coach Parker Fleming today, and here's to him promoting James Laurinaitis into the position. It's time he was made a full-time coach, and Laurinaitis could become a recruiter for the defense like Brian Hartline is for the offense. 

3. Larry Johnson has been a godsend for Ohio State since bolting Happy Valley almost a decade ago, but the DLine coach is not getting younger. (He's older than the subject of the next dropping, actually) Here's a rumor of a potential replacement: Akron Zips alum, Miami Dolphins HOF DE Jason Taylor. Talk about a potential recruiting monster. 

4 With Nick Saban's abrupt retirement, the transfer portal opens up for Alabama immediately for 30 days. Stud safety Caleb Downs instantly started following 10 Ohio State players. It's going to be a feeding frenzy down in Tuscaloosa for the month, and if Alabama poaches a HC from another program, like Oregon's Dan Lanning or Clemson't Dabo Swinney, for example, well that school would also have their transfer portal open. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A few more OSU droppings...

4 With Nick Saban's abrupt retirement, the transfer portal opens up for Alabama immediately for 30 days. Stud safety Caleb Downs instantly started following 10 Ohio State players. It's going to be a feeding frenzy down in Tuscaloosa for the month, and if Alabama poaches a HC from another program, like Oregon's Dan Lanning or Clemson't Dabo Swinney, for example, well that school would also have their transfer portal open. 

#4.  I saw that one coming for the past few years.   The crown is now  open   to be passed on to  ( someone ).   What school  or  head will get it ???

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

#4.  I saw that one coming for the past few years.   The crown is now  open   to be passed on to  ( someone ).   What school  or  head will get it ???

I believe it was all ready Georgia, If we were at a 12 team playoff this year they could have won three staright

J.T. Tuimoloau will be coming back to Ohio State this season for his senior season. 

I believe underclassmen have until Monday to declare for the NFL Draft, and OSU is still waiting on RB Treveyon Henderson's decision. With the exception of DT Mike Hall and WR Marvin Harrison Jr, all other underclassmen eligible to leave early for the draft have decided to remain in Columbus. 

Edit: It has just been announced that RB Treveyon Henderson will be returning to Ohio State in 2024. 

• Upvote 1

You are about to get the biggest Aggie joke who single handedly wrecked the 2023 A&M team by firing Jimbo prematurely. That opened up the team to massive portal declarations which then opened it up further to NFL declarations, which also wrecked the recruitment that was at the time in the top 5 in the nation. We got raided by other college programs and by the NFL to the point we had only 55 scholarship players in our bowl game with two walkons and a true freshman in our D backfield and half the DL's missing plus our best offensive and defensive players headed for the draft. And committed recruits dropped for 20 to 14 almost overnight with those 6 coming right off the top of the list almost exclusively to SEC teams/rivals. (Are you listening Michigan?)

At the very least he should have waited until after the season was over. Or realized for two strait seasons Jimbo was relying on 3rd string or worse QBs (bad injury bug) barely into SEC play. 

Good luck.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-focusing-on-texas-a-m-ad-ross-bjork-to-fill-same-role-replace-gene-smith-per-report/

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You are about to get the biggest Aggie joke who single handedly wrecked the 2023 A&M team by firing Jimbo prematurely. That opened up the team to massive portal declarations which then opened it up further to NFL declarations, which also wrecked the recruitment that was at the time in the top 5 in the nation. We got raided by other college programs and by the NFL to the point we had only 55 scholarship players in our bowl game with two walkons and a true freshman in our D backfield and half the DL's missing plus our best offensive and defensive players headed for the draft. And committed recruits dropped for 20 to 14 almost overnight with those 6 coming right off the top of the list almost exclusively to SEC teams/rivals. (Are you listening Michigan?)

At the very least he should have waited until after the season was over. Or realized for two strait seasons Jimbo was relying on 3rd string or worse QBs (bad injury bug) barely into SEC play. 

Good luck.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-focusing-on-texas-a-m-ad-ross-bjork-to-fill-same-role-replace-gene-smith-per-report/

Because your program just paid players. The stuff you technically can't do with NIL but plenty of schools do anyway. Those players had no commitment to the school, coach, etc... just the cash. 

Is it really any surprise they all left immediately for greener pastures?

A&M dug their own grave here

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Good luck.

Honestly, I'm not really informed on the new OSU AD hire...

But - and don't take this the wrong way - Texas A&M has always struck me as a program that is all style, no substance. There's always talk about how much money they have and how they are getting this great player and that great player but generally at the end of every season they just are kind of 'meh'. 

12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Because your program just paid players. The stuff you technically can't do with NIL but plenty of schools do anyway. Those players had no commitment to the school, coach, etc... just the cash. 

Is it really any surprise they all left immediately for greener pastures?

A&M dug their own grave here

And exactly who do you think was in charge of all that? Now OSU has him. Good luck with that to them.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Honestly, I'm not really informed on the new OSU AD hire...

But - and don't take this the wrong way - Texas A&M has always struck me as a program that is all style, no substance. There's always talk about how much money they have and how they are getting this great player and that great player but generally at the end of every season they just are kind of 'meh'. 

No argument there on those who left through the portal. The ones who stayed will be the core of the rebuild in a way the fans deserve. Kind of like the Browns fans don't you think? And they have added 22 from the portal who want a chance to prove themselves to the NFL. They didn't come for the money either. Just a chance.

EDIT: Make that 23 now with the latest 5 star from Bama.   https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/dezz-ricks-commits-to-texas-am-football-transfer-portal-alabama--225571109/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=240116_221215_TexasA%26MAggies&utm_content=Link&eid=c780a40b821957c690b8d305176df6c4ec80c0a431e9641419612d4c0fe6b57c

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And exactly who do you think was in charge of all that? Now OSU has him. Good luck with that to them.

No, I agree. I imagine this AD has a knack for NIL and other thing$. Definitely an OSU problem now. 

I expect OSU to have a higher level of program loyalty among players than A&M though, even if that's just mainly because A&M is so low...

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

No, I agree. I imagine this AD has a knack for NIL and other thing$. Definitely an OSU problem now. 

I expect OSU to have a higher level of program loyalty among players than A&M though, even if that's just mainly because A&M is so low...

On 1/11/2024 at 7:01 PM, syd said:

I believe it was all ready Georgia, If we were at a 12 team playoff this year they could have won three staright

GEO, OSU  ( and who else is in there ? )  can compete for the top 4 or maybe 6 teams in the   new TOP 5   in college football now 

And will they go where   every other division   from D-AA down to high school and even down to pee-wee football does.  Yes have a   16 team playoff   they are perfectly set up now just use the early bowl games for the first founds of the top 16 games.   Those early bowls would   love   to have SOLD OUT games versus  half   EMPTY   and run it out from there using this format.

A winner at every level.

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

GEO, OSU  ( and who else is in there ? )  can compete for the top 4 or maybe 6 teams in the   new TOP 5   in college football now 

And will they go where   every other division   from D-AA down to high school and even down to pee-wee football does.  Yes have a   16 team playoff   they are perfectly set up now just use the early bowl games for the first founds of the top 16 games.   Those early bowls would   love   to have SOLD OUT games versus  half   EMPTY   and run it out from there using this format.

A winner at every level.

Some programs have shown the ability to be very creative in an attempt to be relevant recently. 

https://theathletic.com/5210270/2024/01/19/caleb-downs-commit-ohio-state/

After Nick Saban announced his retirement, Alabama players starting running to the transfer portal. 

Ohio State just picked up the best one, true freshman safety Caleb Downs. After finishing second to Alabama in the recruitment of Downs, they edged out Georgia to get him to Columbus for the next two seasons, at least. 

caleb downs to osu.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:06 AM, Canton Dawg said:

Bill O’Brien is being reported to be the new Buckeye’s Offensive Coordinator.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39338343/sources-bill-obrien-joining-ryan-day-ohio-state-staff-oc

While it's very probable that he's going to be a relatively short-term hire, having another experienced coach with Day is a good thing, and let's Day concentrate on the whole team during the game while O'Brien calls plays. 

A local kid from Painesville that I mentioned earlier, 4 star DE Dominick Kirks, just officially committed to Ohio State. This was a big flip, giving the 2024 class a needed third DLineman. 

It also appears that 5 star QB Julian Sayin, who Ohio State recruited heavily after Dominic Raiola de-committed but went to Alabama instead, now could be signing with Ohio State as soon as this evening. He was yet another Alabama player (he was a member of the 2024 recruiting class) who entered the transfer portal when Saban retired. 

Ohio State's very highly ranked 2024 class keeps getting better. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

A local kid from Painesville that I mentioned earlier, 4 star DE Dominick Kirks, just officially committed to Ohio State. This was a big flip, giving the 2024 class a needed third DLineman. 

It also appears that 5 star QB Julian Sayin, who Ohio State recruited heavily after Dominic Raiola de-committed but went to Alabama instead, now could be signing with Ohio State as soon as this evening. He was yet another Alabama player (he was a member of the 2024 recruiting class) who entered the transfer portal when Saban retired. 

Ohio State's very highly ranked 2024 class keeps getting better. 

I saw one way to early  Top 25 in 2024 with OSU at  #5  and quite a bunch of new names on the list.   Refreshing in a way plus Satan R. Saban departing and many other names in the mix,  it will shake things up a bit.

Other new names mentioned on the potential transfer lists.

Edited by mjp28

Ohio State gets a commit from 4 star OT Carter Lowe of Toledo Whitmer for their 2025 Recruiting class, which has started off very well.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2024/01/2025-four-star-in-state-offensive-tackle-commits-to-ohio-state-over-michigan.html

Ohio's 2026 OLine recruits is considered one of the best crops of OLinemen from Ohio in almost 20 years, with Ohio State in great shape to land two top notch tackles in Sam Greer (Akron Hoban) and Maxwell Riley (Avon Lake) and a great interior prospect in Will Conroy (St. Ignatius). I believe all three have received offers from Ohio State. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:02 PM, Canton Dawg said:

Maybe Marvin Harrison Jr in 2025?

IMG_5258.png

Good point CD!  I can definitely see Harrison Jr earning that honor next. Sounds like a fun game we can play with Woody - Lookey lookey who's that Rookie?

1. Ohio State's 2025 recruiting class on paper just got even better. They already had 5 star CB Devin Sanchez committed, now they nabbed the #1 CB in the nation, Na'eem Offord. As always, there's a long way until the official national signing day.

2. So it appears 97% sure that new OC Bill O'Brien will never actually call a play for Ohio State, as the new opening at Boston College for their head coaching job appears to be his any moment now. Two names to replace him to consider: UCLA Head Coach Chip Kelly, who Day coached under before coming to Ohio State, and Akron Head Coach Joe Moorhead, who was the Oregon OC in 2021 when Oregon came to the Shoe and shredded the Buckeyes defense. He started the process of the massive coaching staff changes on defense after the season in Columbus. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

1. Ohio State's 2025 recruiting class on paper just got even better. They already had 5 star CB Devin Sanchez committed, now they nabbed the #1 CB in the nation, Na'eem Offord. As always, there's a long way until the official national signing day.

2. So it appears 97% sure that new OC Bill O'Brien will never actually call a play for Ohio State, as the new opening at Boston College for their head coaching job appears to be his any moment now. Two names to replace him to consider: UCLA Head Coach Chip Kelly, who Day coached under before coming to Ohio State, and Akron Head Coach Joe Moorhead, who was the Oregon OC in 2021 when Oregon came to the Shoe and shredded the Buckeyes defense. He started the process of the massive coaching staff changes on defense after the season in Columbus. 

Per your points, both Kelly and Moorhead look like they could be a great fit for the Ohio State Offense.  Seeing another Buckeye crowned Rookie of the Year last night reminds everyone Ohio State is a very attractive place to be an OC.

• Upvote 1