THE BROWNS BOARD

Report: Browns fire offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt

Vambo

Report: Browns fire offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt (msn.com)

The Browns are reportedly making some big changes to their offensive coaching staff in the wake of their playoff loss to the Texans.

Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reports that they have fired offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, running backs coach Stump Mitchell, and tight ends coach T.C. McCartney.

Van Pelt joined the Browns when Kevin Stefanski became the team's head coach in 2020. Stefanski calls the team's offensive plays, so Van Pelt's role was focused on other responsibilities during his time in Cleveland. He had been a quarterbacks coach for the Bengals and Packers before making the move to Cleveland.

Mitchell has spent more than two decades as an NFL assistant after playing in the league for 10 years and has been in Cleveland since 2019. McCartney joined the team as an offensive assistant in 2020 and moved to tight ends coach in 2022.   

EOM .

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Kind of hard to run a decent offense with 3rd string OTs and a 4th string QB don't ya think? Maybe he's being blamed for not getting better ones in both positions, but since I don't know who picks 'em I don't know for sure. I still think they may be looking in the wrong place to fire, right DEPO?😱

Just now, nickers said:

Someone tell me what did AVP Coordinate exactly?

I think he acted more as a QB coach than anything, probably oversight of the position coaches.

I think Stef just wants some fresh perspectives, no other teams are poaching our guys so they can’t be that desirable.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I think he acted more as a QB coach than anything, probably oversight of the position coaches.

I think Stef just wants some fresh perspectives, no other teams are poaching our guys so they can’t be that desirable.

Then how does this woke diversity hire still have a job?

81b35560-389f-48be-bc62-08f9212419f1_1140x641.jpg

• Thanks 1

stef needs his scapegoats. Baker...(still leading the Bucs in the playoffs, 337 yards, 3 touchdowns. beat the eagles.

"1 day agoTAMPA -- Battling rib and ankle injuries, Tampa Bay quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 337 yards and 3 touchdowns to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 32-9 in the wild-card round, securing the Buccaneers' largest playoff win since their 27-point Super Bowl XXXVII victory,  "

"TAMPA -- Battling rib and ankle injuries, Tampa Bay quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 32-9 in the wild-card round, securing the Buccaneers' largest playoff win since their 27-point Super Bowl XXXVII victory, despite being 3.5-point home underdogs Monday night."
Now, stefanie calls the plays, is head coach. The rbs are playing terrific, so you fire the rb coach? Njoku is an ALL PRO and you fire the TE coach? Van Pelt is a guy who is well known as an excellent coach.
It's stefanie that calls the plays, runs the show, is head coach.

yeah, stefanie - Mayfield throws for 337 yards against the EAGLES defense? 3 touchdowns? 32-9 ? but you play him as the guy that made you fail? What about now? That last playoff loss, you suck.
  • Sad 1

Surprised about Stump Mitchell for sure. He & Callahan have been a team for awhile.

I suppose they had a staff meeting or two, and coaches aired concerns or grievances. Or maybe the assistants wanted to be set free. 

I think most of the fans were ok with this offense, considering  the injury circumstances. 

I'm looking forward to 2024. 

• Upvote 1

A part of this puzzle too is that RB coach Stump Mitchell and TE coach were canned too. I'm guessing they have an OC already on the hire list and are given them reign to hire those guys for the team. I thought ol' Stump did a fantastic job coaching up the RBs but what do I know.

I'm not categorically opposed to it- the offense was just wonky with Watson under center. Someone also made a fair point that it's not like these guys were being poached in ways we see across the league in other "offense first" coached teams like San Fran, LA Rams, etc.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

stef needs his scapegoats. Baker...(still leading the Bucs in the playoffs, 337 yards, 3 touchdowns. beat the eagles.

"1 day agoTAMPA -- Battling rib and ankle injuries, Tampa Bay quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 337 yards and 3 touchdowns to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 32-9 in the wild-card round, securing the Buccaneers' largest playoff win since their 27-point Super Bowl XXXVII victory,  "

"TAMPA -- Battling rib and ankle injuries, Tampa Bay quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 32-9 in the wild-card round, securing the Buccaneers' largest playoff win since their 27-point Super Bowl XXXVII victory, despite being 3.5-point home underdogs Monday night."
Now, stefanie calls the plays, is head coach. The rbs are playing terrific, so you fire the rb coach? Njoku is an ALL PRO and you fire the TE coach? Van Pelt is a guy who is well known as an excellent coach.
It's stefanie that calls the plays, runs the show, is head coach.

yeah, stefanie - Mayfield throws for 337 yards against the EAGLES defense? 3 touchdowns? 32-9 ? but you play him as the guy that made you fail? What about now? That last playoff loss, you suck.

Mayfield did look good, but the Eagles looked like a 5th grade CYO team trying to tackle. Honestly, I'm not discrediting Baker at all, hit hit the guys on the numbers....but I swear 220+ yards were after the catch & arm tackles.

I've got no stake in the TB-Lions game, let's see how it goes. The Lions aren't a great pass D.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nickers said:

Then how does this woke diversity hire still have a job?

81b35560-389f-48be-bc62-08f9212419f1_1140x641.jpg

Probably because she's an assistant coach. So if the boss is staying, why would the assistants be fired?  

Ya fucking retard.  Do humanity a favor and at minimum clear your posts with your mother first. She might help prevent you from saying dumb shit. 

This moron aside, not a fan of rolling heads for the sake of optics.  Especially coach Stump.  He's done a hell of a job with every player under his wing so far.  And if Andrew Berry is concerned why Ford hasn't developed into the next Chubb by now, being that they're of a similar physical mold, at some point it has to be understood that you don't hit home runs on every single pick.  Some players just are what they are. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Vambo said:

Report: Browns fire offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt (msn.com)

The Browns are reportedly making some big changes to their offensive coaching staff in the wake of their playoff loss to the Texans.

Josina Anderson of CBS Sports reports that they have fired offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, running backs coach Stump Mitchell, and tight ends coach T.C. McCartney.

Van Pelt joined the Browns when Kevin Stefanski became the team's head coach in 2020. Stefanski calls the team's offensive plays, so Van Pelt's role was focused on other responsibilities during his time in Cleveland. He had been a quarterbacks coach for the Bengals and Packers before making the move to Cleveland.

Mitchell has spent more than two decades as an NFL assistant after playing in the league for 10 years and has been in Cleveland since 2019. McCartney joined the team as an offensive assistant in 2020 and moved to tight ends coach in 2022.

Thanks for the update Vambo!    I just turned on the NFL Channel and it scrolled the names of the coaches the Browns fired.  Then, it said Alex Van Pelt remains under contract.  Having said that, it's possible your update/news above is more recent.  I'll double-check it all later for us.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Probably because she's an assistant coach. So if the boss is staying, why would the assistants be fired?  

Ya fucking retard.  Do humanity a favor and at minimum clear your posts with your mother first. She might help prevent you from saying dumb shit.

But that got a cal endorsement, so it must be accurate.🤫

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But that got a cal endorsement, so it must be accurate.🤫

Tiamet the whiney bitch can go suck a turd if he can't hang with the big boys...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, nickers said:

Tiamet the whiney bitch can go suck a turd if he can't hang with the big boys...

nickers your mom is fucking pissed off at you, She said TO GO GET YOUR FUCKING HELMET

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Who exactly are "the big boys"? 🤣 

nickers is cranky... his mom must have grounded him again. 

• Haha 1

Are you really the offensive coordinator if you are calling the plays?  In name only, I guess

So, back to the topic at hand....

Stefanski is at home with a pro-style, run first/play-action off that offense. Likes multi-TE sets. It's why he had some success with the likes of Mayfield, Brissett and Flacco.

I don't think he's a good fit with a QB who is a shotgun/RPO type of fella. I'm guessing Van Pelt isn't either.

My hope is that he hires an OC who is, and he allows that OC to call the plays. This could be a good move long-term. 

No idea about the other two guys and why they were fired. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So, back to the topic at hand....

Stefanski is at home with a pro-style, run first/play-action off that offense. Likes multi-TE sets. It's why he had some success with the likes of Mayfield, Brissett and Flacco.

I don't think he's a good fit with a QB who is a shotgun/RPO type of fella. I'm guessing Van Pelt isn't either.

My hope is that he hires an OC who is, and he allows that OC to call the plays. This could be a good move long-term. 

No idea about the other two guys and why they were fired. 

•  

The Cleveland Browns are hosting a respected running backs coach in Duce Staley as they look to fill their job opening.

Moving on from several offensive coaches today, running backs coach Stump Mitchell was among them. And it looks like the Browns are wasting no time trying to fill the vacancy left behind by the firing of Mitchell. Hosting the former running back himself (according to CBS Sports’ Josina Anderson), Staley is a well-respected coach around the NFL.

Most notable for his fiery demeanor on Hard Knocks with the Detroit Lions, Staley is not afraid to get after his players and push them to reach their highest potential. This is much needed in a running back room with two young ball carriers in Jerome Ford and Pierre Strong Jr.

He spent this past season with the Carolina Panthers, a move he made to be closer to family. Staley was let go by interim head coach Chris Tabor after the firing of head coach Frank Reich.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I was surprised to see this news too. I figured the team did well enough to keep all the coaches employed, but like Bob said, maybe they all had a heart to heart and figured this was the way to go. 

I’ll kinda miss Stump Mitchell. He was the longest tenured coach, l believe, and he had one helluva beard. One of the most aesthetically cool looking dudes to ever grace a sideline imo. 

4 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I was surprised to see this news too. I figured the team did well enough to keep all the coaches employed, but like Bob said, maybe they all had a heart to heart and figured this was the way to go. 

I’ll kinda miss Stump Mitchell. He was the longest tenured coach, l believe, and he had one helluva beard. One of the most aesthetically cool looking dudes to ever grace a sideline imo. 

Duce's beard game is lacking.

duce staley.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Surprised about Stump Mitchell for sure. He & Callahan have been a team for awhile.

I suppose they had a staff meeting or two, and coaches aired concerns or grievances. Or maybe the assistants wanted to be set free. 

I think most of the fans were ok with this offense, considering  the injury circumstances. 

I'm looking forward to 2024. 

I'll agree with the    "looking forward to 2024"   for many exciting reasons !   Mainly at QB first and then how  well they do in the draft and the other needs.

3 hours ago, syd said:

Staley was let go by interim head coach Chris Tabor

No dishonor in that Duece.  I didn't like him as our ST coach.

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

not a fan of rolling heads for the sake of optics.

I don't see how these were 'optics' firings.  I should think that 'optically' we were an overachieving team.  We lost our superstar RB just after the season started.  We lost our starting QB.  We would up with our #5 & #6 offensive tackles manning the tackle positions.  And yet we made the playoffs.

I like Stef.  And I understand that it's difficult when the HC calls the plays and somebody else is OC.  But that OC is the one who coached our only winning playoff game.  Granted, the Steelers turned the ball over 5 times...making it harder for a HC to lose that game.....come to think of it, Hue Jackson probably could've done it.  

There are reasons these guys weren't retained.  We probably won't know them until somebody writes a book.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Are you really the offensive coordinator if you are calling the plays?  In name only, I guess

I was thinking the same thing…let’s fire some offensive people that don’t call plays. 🤔

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Mayfield did look good, but the Eagles looked like a 5th grade CYO team trying to tackle. Honestly, I'm not discrediting Baker at all, hit hit the guys on the numbers....but I swear 220+ yards were after the catch & arm tackles.

I've got no stake in the TB-Lions game, let's see how it goes. The Lions aren't a great pass D.

yeah, Detroit is one tough challenge. If the Bucs' defense can stop them like they stopped the Eagles, they have a chance.

With ankle and rib injuries, Baker took off running for a first down. He has guts like Josh Allen.