THE BROWNS BOARD

Report: Browns fire offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt

Vambo

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Right!?  They just saw what he did to us...

What baffles me about the AvP firing to begin with, is that it was our offense that kept us in the game for most of the first half against the Texans. It was our D that collapsed, and apparently it was mostly up to the coaching on our side.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2024/01/14/browns-texans-jim-schwartz-c-j-stroud-nico-collins/

In the regular season, the Browns played single-high coverage — either Cover-1 or Cover-3 on 64% of their snaps, the NFL’s highest rate.

But C.J. Stroud against Cover-1 and Cover-3 in the regular season? Try 141 of 228 for 2,054 yards, 1,335 air yards, 11 touchdowns, one interception, and a passer rating of 105.4. Only Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson had higher passer ratings against middle-of-the-field closed coverage in the regular season.

How that played out in this game was in no way beneficial to Schwartz and his players. Stroud faced single-high coverage on 16 of his 21 passing attempts in the game, and at no time did Stroud have to deal with any kind of wrinkle pre-snap to post-snap to muddy the picture and delay his reads and throws.

Now, I don't have the football know-how to distinguish my covers from my duvets, but this sounds pretty damning. The article even mentions wrinkles like professor @tiamat63, so they must know what they are talking about. 

Now, we probably shouldn't make staffing decisions based on a single game, but I do hope Schwartz takes a long hard look at himself. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:13 AM, tiamat63 said:

I don't ever remember the Brownies running weakside QB power like an old single wing from an empty motion previous to week 1 against Cincy.   Closest I can remember was the QB sweep against PIT to burn clock and make us playoff bound in 2020.  

While I don't have the numbers, I'm confident in saying there was more gun and 11 personnel usage with Watson than previous QBs.   This concluded with the epic win over the ravens. 

West Coast is a relative term.  It generally means timing throws, which are structured and layered within every offense in football. And with that, a certain play call string language that mostly meant individually tagging receivers with numbered routes.  Which might not be a predominant in the Browns lingo, but you'll find things derived from it in just about every offense as well. No different than romance languages sharing similarities by having a common ancestor in Latin. 

Also worth pointing out, one of the most efficient and consistent offenses in the NFL during his time as a head coach has been younger Shanahan in San Fran.  The same team who, last I checked, was top 2 in 21 personnel usage with a vehicle driven by under center ball action and timing throws. 

Odd how an old dog can still get it done with some old tricks that are windowed dressed appropriately. 

Re: Stef and Van Pelt.  They didn't get Flaccos arm hit as he was trying to bomb a post-corner that ended up in a DBs lap.  And they sure as fuck didn't make Flacco lock onto a primary with a little stick-out, believing he had man all the way instead of reading the strong side hook correctly.  

Any heavy handed critique lobbed at the coaching staff after how they over performed this season is idiotic at best. 

Maybe so, but we fired coaches.  Something wasn't working in the eyes of the people who count.  AVP was tasked with changing the O.  It didn't happen and we kept running the same old 20th century plan.

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

What baffles me about the AvP firing to begin with, is that it was our offense that kept us in the game for most of the first half against the Texans. It was our D that collapsed, and apparently it was mostly up to the coaching on our side.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2024/01/14/browns-texans-jim-schwartz-c-j-stroud-nico-collins/

Now, I don't have the football know-how to distinguish my covers from my duvets, but this sounds pretty damning. The article even mentions wrinkles like professor @tiamat63, so they must know what they are talking about. 

Now, we probably shouldn't make staffing decisions based on a single game, but I do hope Schwartz takes a long hard look at himself. 

I will give an initial impression - it isn't so much a "damning" more so than an "it is what it is".   What the Brownies have been the best with,  defensively at least, are structures that other NFL defenses have gone away from.  Because the better QBs have been shredding single high for 5+ years now.  This stems from the after effects of philosophy shifts in the wake of the Legion of Boom.  That means both offensively and defensively.   

The most obvious shift is running more two high, like we did under Joe Woods.  Downside, and I've said this all season, sans Thornhill and McLeod to a degree (being hurt)  our safety play doesn't allow for the adjustments to be as effective, either in post snap shifts or pre-snap alignment.  It's a personnel deficiency.  

It's a classic "we are what we are".  We're good at what we do, probably the best in the NFL at single high because of our corners.  But when Ward is hurt, or we run into teams with the ability to counter those looks while possibly keeping Myles and the pass rush a bit in check, then the result is what you saw in Houston. 

I'll put in some work tonight a bit, and have more details for you guys over the weekend.  I haven't been around, life has tossed up a curve-ball of pure madness.  It'll be nice to relax and digest some film

• Thanks 2

The Browns also plan to interview more offensive coordinator candidates in the coming days. As of Wednesday afternoon, Deshaun Watson’s former Texans’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tim Kelly — the Titans offensive coordinator in 2023 — was not scheduled to interview.

Watson had his best year under Kelly in 2020 and Cleveland could include him in future interviews if they don’t find their guy soon. Kelly was the Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator last year under Mike Vrabel after seven years with the Houston Texans.

38 minutes ago, syd said:

I can't say that i am really enamored with any of them.

Agreed.. ^^ 

somewhat hoping the 49'ers lose this weekend

Klint Kubiak - Pass Game Coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Kubiak started his NFL coaching career with the Minnesota Vikings as an offensive quality control coach from 2013 to 2014, where he coached with Stefanksi.

Gary Kubiak is Klint's father and assisted Stefanski during his full season as offensive coordinator with the Vikings in 2019, while Klint was the quarterbacks coach on that staff.

He took over as the offensive coordinator for Minnesota in 2021.

Kubiak, who will be 37 years old in February, now has almost a decade of experience working with offenses, and his past year on the 49ers coaching staff has made him even more intriguing to clubs searching for a new offensive coordinator.

Note: Interviewed for the Saints Offensive Coordinator job. (Zoom meeting)

Brian Griese - Quarterbacks Coach, San Francisco 49ers

While Brian Griese lacks play-calling expertise, the Browns are not looking for a play-caller. The former NFL quarterback worked under Kyle Shanahan for the last two seasons.

Griese scouted Brock Purdy and helped bring him to San Francisco. Under Griese's watch, Purdy emerged as an MVP candidate in 2023-24.

Griese will be getting looks as a potential offensive coordinator this hiring cycle.

kinda shocked, more teams haven't done the same   ^ ^ ^ 

I'd have more interest in meeting with Kubiak.. more offensive background than most we've met with. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Agreed.. ^^ 

somewhat hoping the 49'ers lose this weekend

Klint Kubiak - Pass Game Coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Kubiak started his NFL coaching career with the Minnesota Vikings as an offensive quality control coach from 2013 to 2014, where he coached with Stefanksi.

Gary Kubiak is Klint's father and assisted Stefanski during his full season as offensive coordinator with the Vikings in 2019, while Klint was the quarterbacks coach on that staff.

He took over as the offensive coordinator for Minnesota in 2021.

Kubiak, who will be 37 years old in February, now has almost a decade of experience working with offenses, and his past year on the 49ers coaching staff has made him even more intriguing to clubs searching for a new offensive coordinator.

Brian Griese - Quarterbacks Coach, San Francisco 49ers

While Brian Griese lacks play-calling expertise, the Browns are not looking for a play-caller. The former NFL quarterback worked under Kyle Shanahan for the last two seasons.

Griese scouted Brock Purdy and helped bring him to San Francisco. Under Griese's watch, Purdy emerged as an MVP candidate in 2023-24.

Griese will be getting looks as a potential offensive coordinator this hiring cycle.

kinda shocked, more teams haven't done the same   ^ ^ ^ 

I'd have more interest in meeting with Kubiak.. more offensive background than most we've met with. 

I might be late with this thought; but if Stefanski doesn't want to be replaced calling the plays - guys like Griese and Kubiak could be a threat to that thought.  Consequently, they are more of a conflict of interest to what Stefanski wants as he holds the decision to who fits his need best.  

The guy that looks most exciting to me is Houston's QB Coach Jerrod Johnson; but how much did he REALLY have to do for the best QB in the draft?   CJ Stroud was an instant success at Ohio State.  The only growing pains I witnessed there were in his very 1st start for only a couple quarters or so.  

Seeing names scroll on the NFL Channel/ESPN like Kellen Moore and Brian Johnson makes me wonder if the Warden put hallucinogens in my salad.  There's no way either guy offers an upgrade to Van Pelt.  In fact, the last time Van Pelt called plays for the Browns - they slapped Pittsburgh upside the head in the playoffs with 48 points and a victory at their dump. Biggest difference that day?  Roethlisberger had 5 turnovers while Cheesecakes had 3 TD passes and 0 INTs/turnovers.  In other words, something like that could threaten how much longer Stefanski looks like the guy best fit to call the plays.  

The OLD Browns used to fire coaches to hurry up and hire guys that weren't upgrades.  I can't help but worry that we're seeing this with the OC position.  To you guys that were here in the mid-late 80s, who did a better job of calling the plays in Lindy Infante's offense here: Infante or his replacement the next year? They kept HIS offense; but the guy trying to call the plays in that system didn't have the background and understanding as to how to attack aggressive zone blitzes/heavy blitz schemes.  Infante made those teams pay with a cement shoe'd/cerebral QB.  He knew what plays to call for every situation, down and distance. He dictated the chess game manipulating the Safeties.  Meanwhile, Brian Brennan led our team with 55 receptions almost exclusively on 3rd going over the middle/exploiting the hook zones left open from blitzing LBers.  The other guy that was an unsung hero on 3rd downs was RB Herman Fontenot with 47 receptions exploiting the flats vacated by blitzing LBers. 1986 was the year this team won 12 games. My favorite saying that season was "if the opponents ain't cryin - we ain't tryin." 

On 1/22/2024 at 6:41 PM, Orion said:

Yes, it kinda' does.  I'm assuming that they really like him.  But Stef is the HC.  He hires his staff.  The OC doesn't hire the HC's staff.  But they can sure discuss people for the offensive coaching positions.  Again I'm assuming that they liked this guy and didn't want to wait around.

input ? 0 for the o.c ? are we doing things backwards again ?

2 hours ago, syd said:

input ? 0 for the o.c ? are we doing things backwards again ?

Well, that argument can be made.  But I still think that if there's a position coach out there that you've been wanting...and you can get him, then do it...even though you don't have the coordinator yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, that argument can be made.  But I still think that if there's a position coach out there that you've been wanting...and you can get him, then do it...even though you don't have the coordinator yet.

I agree. 

There guys being hired have more to do with the offensive concept we wish to attain over any real specifics about the position.  It all points to hiring a coordinator who will fit the new concept.

Stefanski is the only guy who counts.  If he wants the coach, then we will hire him.

If we found the coordinator we wanted, he would be on bord by now.  This is looking like the guy we want is still coaching his players in the playoffs.

Kubiac is my odds on favorite  to be offered the position.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree. 

There guys being hired have more to do with the offensive concept we wish to attain over any real specifics about the position.  It all points to hiring a coordinator who will fit the new concept.

Stefanski is the only guy who counts.  If he wants the coach, then we will hire him.

If we found the coordinator we wanted, he would be on bord by now.  This is looking like the guy we want is still coaching his players in the playoffs.

Kubiac is my odds on favorite  to be offered the position.

Makes sense. 

To a degree, I also think DW has some influence on this. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Makes sense. 

To a degree, I also think DW has some influence on this. 

Finding someone who is proficient in the spread/RPO offense is paramount. 

It shouldn't be as difficult as the Browns have seemingly made it the last two seasons, Jesus Tap Dancin' Christ every high school and college in the country runs it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm still confused as ____________ :D

So, Of this coaching group.... The game plan thinking tanks jobs are safe? 

Offense

SENIOR OFFENSIVE ASSISTANT     

BILL MUSGRAVE    he'd be gone 1st, if it were me 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Finding someone who is proficient in the spread/RPO offense is paramount. 

It shouldn't be as difficult as the Browns have seemingly made it the last two seasons, Jesus Tap Dancin' Christ every high school and college in the country runs it. 

It looks like they want to start a Tea-Sipper club that also wants to overthink the crap out of what they can do with the QB they invested heavily in.  This will be Watson's 3rd year here already; so by all means - try not to hurry for the return on the investment...

The 1st name that comes to mind is Greg Roman, who was Jim Harbaugh's OC at SF when they went to the SB with Colin Kaepernick.  Then he was an OC for some winning teams in Baltimore.  He's got about 25 years of experience; which might be something we should tap...

• Upvote 1

So, what will the new OC actually do?  

We have a HC who calls the plays.  He's not going to stop calling the plays.  (HC's that call plays require the play-chart to be pried from their cold dead hands)   IMO, the new OC will be an assistant to the play caller.  And will hopefully bring some fresh ideas to incorporate into Stef's system.  

Ya know it was kind of refreshing to see Stef's play calling change as he went from QB to QB throughout the season.  He was able to tailor things to the QB that he had to trot out onto the field that particular week.  And when he got to Flacco the RPO stuff had to go into moth balls.