THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy

bigbaddawgjr

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not what I'm saying. Banner said Campbell would compete with Weeden. Colt would compete with Campbell. If Colt passes Campbell then it's Colt will compete with Weeden.

PoG i get you. i'm a fan of colt mccoy. the underdog. the little guy.

but that isn't what a professional football team needs to play and win in the offensive scheme that turner runs. now if we ran a strict old school WCO colt would have a decent chance to be successful.

no, it's not colt's fault. it's not weeden's fault for getting you (and others) all butt hurt. i get it. i hate liars too. but that's what business people do. a successful biz person is a cheap cut throat piece of shit most of the time. that's how they get ahead. sure they put a good smile on their face when the camera is in front of them but you and i both know that holmgren is the reason we reached for weeden AND now when you look back at it he probably reached for mccoy.

but you could piss and moan about one of your favorite players for getting the shaft (hell he hasn't done anything to blow us all away and win the job) or you can just get behind the browns and root for them with whoever the QB is.

What? No. I don't think Ghoulie even liked McCoy anyways. This is the offseason and There are 4 QBs on the roster. 1 is going to start. Everyone is free to decide on their own which QB should start. I like McCoy. Most dont. Get over it.

That's not what I'm saying. Banner said Campbell would compete with Weeden. Colt would compete with Campbell. If Colt passes Campbell then it's Colt will compete with Weeden.

If..IF...If...If...If..

If I was 6-5 and about 26 years old, I could be an NFL QB too. I have plenty of heart and I would play for a lot less than most NFL players.

Unfortunately, I'm not 6-5...I'm not 26 years old (anymore) and I don't have anywhere near the talent to play QB in the NFL. Which gives me all of those things in common with Colt McCoy.

Cleveland is not dumb enough to trade Colt McCoy for anything less than a early second late first round pick. You're smoking crack if you think they would let the QB with the most potential on their team go for a 6-7th rounder...smoking crack.

[/quot

You are right, they probably won't trade him for a 6-7 rounder. They will more likely release him outright with no return compensation. I wish they would get a first or 2 rounder for him. I really do.

Cleveland is not dumb enough to trade Colt McCoy for anything less than a early second late first round pick. You're smoking crack if you think they would let the QB with the most potential on their team go for a 6-7th rounder...smoking crack.

GOOD FREAKING LORD

Come on, man. Really? I know you like colt. I like colt too, I wished he had more of a shot, but dude will be lucky to be traded for a seventh round pick.

PG, hate to tell you- YOU'RE the one smoking crack if you think Colt is worth a second round pick. He was already shopped around last off season for a bag of chips and a coke, and the Browns got no offers. Backup quarterbacks with far more talent than Colt are currently out there on the FA market. It will be nothing short of a miracle if the Browns can get ANY draft pick for McCoy- because other NFL GMs are smart enough & not blinded by their love of a particular player (unlike you) to know it's 99.9% certain THE BROWNS ARE GOING TO CUT COLT, AND THEY CAN SIGN HIM WITHOUT GIVING UP ANY PICK.

Bro, think about it. They have EVERY SINGLE SNAP Colt has taken since he became a Brown, games and practices on tape and have most likely watched them multiple times and dissected every bodily motion he's made. Do you really HONESTLY believe they think they need to watch all the same things live in order for them to know what they have in Colt? NOPE, they know him inside and out already and all signs point to Colt not being the answer at QB.

^+1 Really PG, how many people have to tell you the same thing before the light bulb comes on?

You spend a seventh round pick on taking a flier on a some NFL prospect that might stick in the NFL. You don't trade a QB with vast untapped potential and someone who is a leader in the locker room, a team representative, someone who has more upside than any other player at the position on your team... for a seventh round pick. That's just as absurd as asking for a first round pick for him. Get my drift?

You spend a seventh round pick on taking a flier on a some NFL prospect that might stick in the NFL. You don't trade a QB with vast untapped potential and someone who is a leader in the locker room, a team representative, someone who has more upside than any other player at the position on your team... for a seventh round pick. That's just as absurd as asking for a first round pick for him. Get my drift?

Vast untapped potential? In what? Damn sure not being a Quarterback.

McCoy has no Bree's potential, shit he cant even hold his jock strap. The kid does have a lot of heart, but it has been 3 coaches later and now is time to wash you brain of him. I do wish him luck though. I respected him a lot more then Quinn.

I'm sure you're right. It's EVERYONE else that's wrong. I heard John Clayton on ESPN this morning say that the Browns want to trade McCoy but are UNLIKELY to find anyone willing to give up ANYTHING for him.

Now I'll grant you that these guys on TV are wrong more often than they're right but seriously....this is being reported by dozens of people. You have your head so far up McCoy's ass you could tell us what he ate for lunch today.

You are right, they probably won't trade him for a 6-7 rounder. They will more likely release him outright with no return compensation. I wish they would get a first or 2 rounder for him. I really do.

Yep. I wish too. Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what fills up first. Would u give up a 1-2 pick for him when he hasn't even played like a 3

Please elaborate on this "potential" you speak of. Technically, anybody has the "potential" to be anything.

Just like I could potentially be a giant, shit-breathing, dick-shaped lizard, Colt McCoy could potentially be an NFL starting QB. I'll grant you that.

But to realistically speak of someone's potential in sports, they would have had to have shown flashes of something, which McCoy hasn't done.

You say McCoy has Brees-like potential. Okay, I'll bite:

-Brees holds the record for average YPG with 342.3.

-McCoy has broken the 300 yard mark exactly once in his NFL career.

-In McCoy's only game in which he broke 300 yards, he had to throw the ball 61 times. He also threw for 1 TD and 1 INT.

-Brandon Weeden, however, broke the 300 yard barrier twice in his first 4 games and was one Greg Little dropped pass away from doing it in his 5th game as well. In his first 300 yard game, Weeden threw for 2 TD's and 0 INT's and it took him 24 less completions to do it.

To wrap that up:

-Drew Brees throws for a fuck ton of yards

- one of our QB's has only once thrown for 300+ yards in three years, and it took 61 passes to do it.

-the other QB has broken 300 yards three times in one year, and it takes him half the passes to do it.

Which one has Brees-like potential?

That's just Greg Little and just imagine if he wouldn't have dropped all the balls he did. How much better would Colt have looked if the team helped him out and did their job. Colt takes the fall, it's all his fault huh?

You Tunapussy, are completely fucking useless. Unless you can form a complete thought and back it up with something other than rumor or speculation why don't you just shut the fuck up? Get your sour ass into another threat if your bitching snatch doesn't want to hear about Colt McCoy, why are you even here? Get lost you punk.

You Tunapussy, are completely fucking useless. Unless you can form a complete thought and back it up with something other than rumor or speculation why don't you just shut the fuck up? Get your sour ass into another threat if your bitching snatch doesn't want to hear about Colt McCoy, why are you even here? Get lost you punk.

Still waiting on that response.

2001 NFL Draft

Brees' college success led to projections that he would be a mid-to-late first round draft pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, but he slipped due to concerns about his relatively short stature for a professional quarterback (6'0"), a perceived lack of arm strength, and a sense that he had succeeded in college in a spread offense. Ultimately, Brees was the second quarterback selected in the 2001 draft, chosen by the San Diego Chargers as the first pick of the second round.[15]

San Diego originally had the first pick in that draft, but traded it to Atlanta (which used it to draft Michael Vick) in return for the fifth pick of the first round, with which San Diego drafted LaDainian Tomlinson.[15]

Early career

Brees played in his first professional game on November 4, 2001 against the Kansas City Chiefs. He won the starting job over Doug Flutie during training camp before the start of the 2002 season. Brees started all 16 games for the Chargers during the 2002 season, leading the team to an 8-8 record. After a disappointing start to the 2003 season he was replaced by Flutie. Brees' career with the Chargers was in jeopardy after San Diego acquired NC State's Philip Rivers. After the trade, it was almost certain Brees' days as the Chargers' starting QB were over. However, Rivers held out nearly all of training camp,and Brees remained the starter throughout the 2004 season, where he started 15 games and led the team to a 12-4 regular season record. Brees posted spectacular numbers, completing 65.5% of his passes for 3,159 yards, with 27 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions, giving him a 104.8 passer rating. The Chargers won the AFC West and Brees was selected to the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl. He was named 2004 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Ring any bells?

You see, Brees struggled and he had the benefit of utilizing his first round draft picked runningback. He had questions about "arm strength" and size. Every QB is going to have a down year every once in a while. While Colt only had one legitimate season to prove his worth, unfortunetly it came on the heels of an NFL lockout and the hiring of a new head coach, one with questionable ability I might add, and no offensive coordinator. Pat Shurmur himself said he had too much on his plate to be effective his first year. You can't put it all on Colt's shoulders and expect people not to notice that he was pinned behind the proverbial eightball. Peyton Hillis was a headcase and Colt went into many games probably not even knowing who would be the starting runningback. He wasn't helped by receivers who couldn't hang onto the ball and an offensive line that collapsed from the right side almost instantaneously. How can you be so blind to obvious truths? I may not be Mike Holmgren or a paid NFL Scout, but I'm a paying Cleveland Brown Fan and I know that I would like to see Colt start as opposed to any other QB that is on our team right now, and in the end- that's all that counts.

You see, Brees struggled and he had the benefit of utilizing his first round draft picked runningback. He had questions about "arm strength" and size. Every QB is going to have a down year every once in a while. While Colt only had one legitimate season to prove his worth, unfortunetly it came on the heels of an NFL lockout and the hiring of a new head coach, one with questionable ability I might add, and no offensive coordinator. Pat Shurmur himself said he had too much on his plate to be effective his first year. You can't put it all on Colt's shoulders and expect people not to notice that he was pinned behind the proverbial eightball. Peyton Hillis was a headcase and Colt went into many games probably not even knowing who would be the starting runningback. He wasn't helped by receivers who couldn't hang onto the ball and an offensive line that collapsed from the right side almost instantaneously. How can you be so blind to obvious truths? I may not be Mike Holmgren or a paid NFL Scout, but I'm a paying Cleveland Brown Fan and I know that I would like to see Colt start as opposed to any other QB that is on our team right now, and in the end- that's all that counts.

Sorry you're not going to get your wish. Congrats, long timers on this board will agree that you've now passed Lumburgh's love for Derek Anderson in your defense of McCoy. At least Anderson had 1\2 of a good season to back him up. Now it's everyone's fault except Colt that he couldn't produce.

Seriously, I've got a mind to lock this thread, but it's too much fun seeing you try to compare Colt to Drew Brees. Colt's ceiling is slightly higher than Charlie Frye's was- and it's not high enough to keep him around at $2+ million to be the third string qb.

I found this while searching for ingredients for your "crow stew"... These are not my words, but they'll work just the same...

"I keep finding more ways that McCoy played far better than he was given credit for here in Cleveland all the time, like comments from Mangini after the Jetts game in 2010 on a windy bad weather day.

Mangini praised McCoy’s drive to tie the game and send it into overtime, saying he threaded the needle on his passes into some of the tightest coverage he’d ever seen.

And when I was looking at turnovers in 2011, I found that McCoy led the Browns to rank 4th in the NFL in limiting turnovers.

With McCoy we were tied with New Orleans(13-3) and behind New England (13-3), Green Bay (15-1), and San Francisco (13-3).

Losing teams almost never protect the ball well and winning teams always do. The 2011 team didn’t have the talent to be a winning team, but they had the quarterback to do as much as any one player could do to keep them in games.

And in the 4th quarter, if we were obviously behind and needed to take more chances, McCoy threw his rare interceptions, but he also led the league with the 5th highest number of 4th quarter game-winning drives.

I found that"

...yeah, I found that.

You can clearly see that even though it's made a huge deal about Colt's size in relation to Weeden's size, it's hardly noticeable that Weeden is bigger. I think that the arm strength debate is completely blown out of proportion in reality as well. I've seen Colt throw passes with plenty of zip on them. Every pass is different and each needs a different "touch" to complete. This is where Colt has the distinct advantage where as Colt will try and "fit" a pass in with touch, Weeden just throws each pass as hard as he can, often overthrowing receivers. When a touch pass is needed for Weeden it's often way off the mark and looks awkward... and it's because he's a pitcher whereas Colt is a Quarterback. B)

I found this while searching for ingredients for your "crow stew"... These are not my words, but they'll work just the same...

"I keep finding more ways that McCoy played far better than he was given credit for here in Cleveland all the time, like comments from Mangini after the Jetts game in 2010 on a windy bad weather day.

Mangini praised McCoy’s drive to tie the game and send it into overtime, saying he threaded the needle on his passes into some of the tightest coverage he’d ever seen.

And when I was looking at turnovers in 2011, I found that McCoy led the Browns to rank 4th in the NFL in limiting turnovers.

With McCoy we were tied with New Orleans(13-3) and behind New England (13-3), Green Bay (15-1), and San Francisco (13-3).

Losing teams almost never protect the ball well and winning teams always do. The 2011 team didn’t have the talent to be a winning team, but they had the quarterback to do as much as any one player could do to keep them in games.

And in the 4th quarter, if we were obviously behind and needed to take more chances, McCoy threw his rare interceptions, but he also led the league with the 5th highest number of 4th quarter game-winning drives.

I found that"

...yeah, I found that.

Its called the internet. You can find whatever shit you want. I'll bet there are even some great YouTube videos of jamarcus Russell. If I post them, he must be good.

Archived