THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy

bigbaddawgjr

Do I think Colt IS an ELITE QB that could take us to the Superbowl?

That is a two part question but I would begin by asking you the same about Brandon Weeden quite frankly.

Is Colt an Elite QB? As of this time, no, he's not. Does he have the potential to be like a Drew Brees whom many would deem elite? I would say that he has the potential to be on that level, yes.

Could he take us to the Superbowl? There are many great Quarterbacks that never make it to the Superbowl. Getting to the Superbowl requires a team, not just the Quarterback. Would Joe Flacco take the Cleveland Browns to the Superbowl? No, he would not. It requires a team effort, consistency and a lot of luck in all three phases of the game- Offense, Defense and Special Teams.

So, do I think that Colt CAN be an ELITE QB and IF he has solid team around him and a lot of luck could take us to the Superbowl? If I didn't believe that to be the case why would I want him to start?

When judging on whether or not Colt can succeed you can't really look his at his stats in a vacuum. You must remember he's only been a Brown for three seasons:

2010- Ran Mangini's Offense. He came in for injured QB's Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, little to none starting expirence with the first team offense.

2011- Ran Pat Shurmur's Offense after a lockout. Learning a completely new offense in just his second year. He didn't have an offensive Coordinator and his recievers led the NFL in dropped passes. For most of the season the team was distracted by the off the field antics of Peyton Hillis who really had no effect on the field. The Offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link in which Tony Pashos played hurt and was a liability.

2012- Was the backup to Weeden. Colt looked to be the more complete QB during the rigged "competition". There were plenty of people who said Colt could win if he was given the weapons to get the job done. Pat's only way around this was to create the impression that they had a "competition" to determine the starter, when in all reality it was simply given to the lesser QB because of his age and draft position. Last season Colt took 0(that's zero) snaps with the first team offense. We've heard from numerous players, on the Browns, that Colt would have won more games last season- That he was the more complete QB.

So why did Shurmur not like Colt? That is the million dollar question. I am partial to the theory that Colt was Pat Shurmur's fall guy from his failed attempt at coaching his first year. What do you expect when you don't have an offensive coordinator and it's your first time as a head coach? He wasn't even that good of an offensive coordinator in the first place and then to take on Head Coach responsibilities as well, that's a recipe for disaster. So, what does Pat Shurmur do? He blames it on his QB instead of stepping up and taking his own blame. And yet he goes out and get's an offensive coordinator. So they take a QB in the first round that isn't panning out and as some of you would say, "if Colt's so good why didn't Pat play him?", well that would make him look even worse in the fact that he burn't our first rounder on a QB when he had one that was better riding the bench- being his fall guy. Nobody else noticed that even when Weeden went down with injury and Colt came in it seemed that Shurmur wouldn't even call a pass play or to an even greater evil, called plays that had no right to be called in the first place, plays that were destined to fail before the snap even occured.

All I want is an honest Head Coach that will play the guys that should play, not somebody who has a some paranoid agenda. I want the best QB out there, whether that's Colt or Brandon I could care less, as long as they've earned it and it's legitimate. My theory is Colt was here and had earned the respect of his teammates and fans and deserved the chance to prove ONE WAY OR ANOTHER that he either had it or didn't. Pat Shurmur wasted our first rounder on an average 30 year old QB, whom a better one at the ripe age of 30 could have been had on the Free Agent Market. Couple that with fact of deliberatly lying about Weeden being better than McCoy and causing all this turmoil and QB controversy... I could go on and on but I'm getting tired of this, it's a simple concept and if you can't put 2 and 2 together no amount of explaining with help you come to terms with the facts that Colt McCoy is a better QB than Brandon Weeden. I for one am looking forward to the QB Competition this summer, may the BEST QB WIN! Whoever it is, I'll support them throughout, provided it's fair and unbiased.

Ok. So you are just delusional. McCoy DOES NOT even have potential to be an elite QB. Repeating what everyone else besides you and maybe two others say, he is a decent backup. He will NEVER be on the same level as Brees, or Manning Brady Rogers or any of those guys.

You say that you would ask me the same question I asked you about Weeden? Why? I never said that Weeden is or could be elite, or take us to a SB. I am merely pointing out that your infatuation with McCoy is mind boggling. Weeden is not the long term answer, but much better than McCoy.

My point in all of this, McCoy is not and will not ever be elite, or close to it. Why keep wasting so much time on this?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes.

and i put the blame squarely on that fat ass holmgren. he was still trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with favre. meanwhile he never drafted favre. he just took a chance on him and he actually paid off unlike every other QB he touched.

Russel Wilson and the sea-hawks are sitting at #1 right now , In two moves the sea hawks have instant NFL recognition witch works out to be Big $ for the team in assorted revenues .I have to wonder witch player we could have had in Weedens spot and if that would have worked out to be Wilson to the Browns on the next pick or two . Hind sight a beautiful thing !

Mike has gotten credit for a lot of moves he didn't make from San fran to green bay . I never thought Mike could miss on a QB .Sometime I think Mike was Just here to make the team salable .

tl;dr

McCoy doesn't have the arm of Matt Moore, and isn't in the same universe as Matt Ryan or BWeeden. McCoy has already reached his potential, and that's fine.

Leadership skills are EXPECTED in this league, they are not a differentiator. McCoy can be a good coach someday.. that's great for him, and has exactly zero relevance to his ranking on the Browns in 2013. Chris Weinke is a great coach today - but he was a terrible player.

So why did Shurmur not like Colt? That is the million dollar question. I am partial to the theory that Colt was Pat Shurmur's fall guy from his failed attempt at coaching his first year. What do you expect when you don't have an offensive coordinator and it's your first time as a head coach? He wasn't even that good of an offensive coordinator in the first place and then to take on Head Coach responsibilities as well, that's a recipe for disaster. So, what does Pat Shurmur do? He blames it on his QB instead of stepping up and taking his own blame. And yet he goes out and get's an offensive coordinator. So they take a QB in the first round that isn't panning out and as some of you would say, "if Colt's so good why didn't Pat play him?", well that would make him look even worse in the fact that he burn't our first rounder on a QB when he had one that was better riding the bench- being his fall guy. Nobody else noticed that even when Weeden went down with injury and Colt came in it seemed that Shurmur wouldn't even call a pass play or to an even greater evil, called plays that had no right to be called in the first place, plays that were destined to fail before the snap even occured.

All I want is an honest Head Coach that will play the guys that should play, not somebody who has a some paranoid agenda. I want the best QB out there, whether that's Colt or Brandon I could care less, as long as they've earned it and it's legitimate. My theory is Colt was here and had earned the respect of his teammates and fans and deserved the chance to prove ONE WAY OR ANOTHER that he either had it or didn't. Pat Shurmur wasted our first rounder on an average 30 year old QB, whom a better one at the ripe age of 30 could have been had on the Free Agent Market. Couple that with fact of deliberatly lying about Weeden being better than McCoy and causing all this turmoil and QB controversy... I could go on and on but I'm getting tired of this, it's a simple concept and if you can't put 2 and 2 together no amount of explaining with help you come to terms with the facts that Colt McCoy is a better QB than Brandon Weeden. I for one am looking forward to the QB Competition this summer, may the BEST QB WIN! Whoever it is, I'll support them throughout, provided it's fair and unbiased.

PG- can the conspiracy theories.

1) Shurmur didn't draft Weeden- he had one vote out of three- at best. I've said it before- and I'll repeat it- because once again, you're not listening. Take Weeden out of the picture- the Browns were seriously involved in the RG III war- why? Because everyone on the Browns had already decided COLT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO BE THE STARTER.

2) Yup, Shurmur didn't like Colt so he benched him in favor of Weeden. Please get real. That's known as cutting off your nose to spite your face. Your job as an NFL HC is TO WIN GAMES. If you think NFL coaches trot out inferior talent just because they don't like a player, you're delusional.

3) Chud is so sure he's got a stud qb in Colt- or Weeden, he was willing to waste his time bringing in Geno Smith for a private workout too. Har, har.

if norv and chud want to run the quick drop 5 yard pass option plsy every down then mccoy might win out.

but from listening to what they want and most other OF coords today want mccoy ain't the guy.

really doubt if they bring in another QB to compete as i feel the FO likes weeden one mccoy two.

If McCoy was going to succeed it would have been in the WCO under Shurmur,can't see him being much more than a perennial back up. A very good one with plenty of starting experience, yes, but a backup nonetheless. Weeden didn't fit in the WCO last year, but now we have a HC/OC who seem to be a perfect fit for him; everything seems set up for him to succeed - as good an O-Line in terms of pass protection as he could hope for, a RB capable of catching as a safety valve, and receivers capable of getting downfield quickly. If he doesn't succeed, we can probably move on and look at a QB in the 2014 draft, but I'd like to see him given a chance in this scheme.

As we get closer to the draft , I think Colts days are Numbered with the pick of Zak dysert . If he's still around The second high score at the combine QBs and the obvious similarities to the guy in stinking City south east from here . Zak has all the skills and little downside . Not from a big time school but, He the guy that going to stick out as a sleeper .

As we get closer to the draft , I think Colts days are Numbered with the pick of Zak dysert . If he's still around The second high score at the combine QBs and the obvious similarities to the guy in stinking City south east from here . Zak has all the skills and little downside . Not from a big time school but, He the guy that going to stick out as a sleeper .

Won't make it past the high second round in a quarterback starved draft. .

Dysert won't get drafted until the 5th round at the earliest, he's the 9th QB off the board next month

The QB's ahead of Dysert are Geno Smith / Matt Barkley / E.J. Manuel / Ryan Nassib / Tyler Wilson / Mike Glennon / Tyler Bray / Landry Jones. Glennon and his ridiculous arm is clearly the one that the Browns should look at in rounds 3/4 if they want to inspire Ghoolie to look into that retirement on a militia compound.. and upgrade the backup position with an eye towards 2,3 yrs from now.

Dysert can have as many measurables as he wants.. but he didn't play well against OSU or Cincy this past year, and didn't blow up at the senior bowl.

Dysert scored huge at the combine . Many sports writers moved his stock up Maybe as far as the third round . As for the rest its a toss up , Landry Jones was the next guy on my list . Landry Jones reminds my of Flacco as Dysert does to Ben Ratlistbluger (Just can't pronouns that) The problem is we have to use pick 68 with care .Vary doubt full we would pass on a FS or corner .

Dysert won't get drafted until the 5th round at the earliest, he's the 9th QB off the board next month

The QB's ahead of Dysert are Geno Smith / Matt Barkley / E.J. Manuel / Ryan Nassib / Tyler Wilson / Mike Glennon / Tyler Bray / Landry Jones. Glennon and his ridiculous arm is clearly the one that the Browns should look at in rounds 3/4 if they want to inspire Ghoolie to look into that retirement on a militia compound.. and upgrade the backup position with an eye towards 2,3 yrs from now.

Dysert can have as many measurables as he wants.. but he didn't play well against OSU or Cincy this past year, and didn't blow up at the senior bowl.

Dysert had a great first half against OSU, but his second half performance left something to be desired.

Poetic Gustice:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_browns_quarterback_c_19.html

Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy expected to be released or traded soon, source tells PD

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

on March 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, updated March 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Print

Colt McCoy is expected to be released soon by the Browns or traded for a late-round pick.

Colt McCoy, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- Browns quarterback Colt McCoy is expected to be released or traded soon for a late-round draft pick, a league source told the Plain Dealer today.

McCoy, a third-round pick of the Browns out of Texas, has become expendable now that the Browns have signed former Bears quarterback Jason Campbell to a two-year contract.

McCoy, the back last season to Brandon Weeden, is not a match for the downfield, vertical passing game of Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner, and would fit better in a shorter passing game.

McCoy has gone 6-15 as a Brown, including 4-9 in 2011. He's thrown for 21 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a career 74.8 rating.

McCoy expected to be the starter last season, but was replaced after the Browns selected Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick.

Campbell is expected to press Weeden for the starting job this season.

McCoy was drafted by former Browns President Mike Holmgren.

Poetic Gustice:

http://www.cleveland...rback_c_19.html

Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy expected to be released or traded soon, source tells PD

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

on March 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, updated March 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Print

Colt McCoy is expected to be released soon by the Browns or traded for a late-round pick.

Colt McCoy, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- Browns quarterback Colt McCoy is expected to be released or traded soon for a late-round draft pick, a league source told the Plain Dealer today.

McCoy, a third-round pick of the Browns out of Texas, has become expendable now that the Browns have signed former Bears quarterback Jason Campbell to a two-year contract.

McCoy, the back last season to Brandon Weeden, is not a match for the downfield, vertical passing game of Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner, and would fit better in a shorter passing game.

McCoy has gone 6-15 as a Brown, including 4-9 in 2011. He's thrown for 21 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a career 74.8 rating.

McCoy expected to be the starter last season, but was replaced after the Browns selected Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick.

Campbell is expected to press Weeden for the starting job this season.

McCoy was drafted by former Browns President Mike Holmgren.

Better list a mental health counselor for Poetic to call after it happens.

That bird brained bitch is talking out the side of her neck bro. She couldn't put two and two together with a calculator, and it's hardly surprising her husband is probably jealous as hell with the way she creams over guys with "big guns"...

...it's rather sickening. This knee jerk reaction by Mary Kay is nothing more than a whipped up headline to garner her views so she can pay for her overpriced manicures... please give me a break...

This has no basis in reality and it's complete bullshit. We don't stregthen a position to turn around and weaken it, example #1- the Des Bryant deal. Just because we signed a Bryant we're sending Rubin packing, no. This would be like trading Haden because we picked up Chris Owens... it's not happening.

PG will still believe Colt McCoy will take the Browns to the Super Bowl even after he's cut.

You gotta snap out of it man. You're brainwashed.

Edit: did you really just compare Joe Haden's skill level at his position to Colt McCoy's skill level at his position? If Colt was as good at quarterback as Joe Haden was at cornerback, we wouldn't be in this spot.

Oh look, what I tell ya...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154480/article/colt-mccoy-wont-be-cut-by-cleveland-browns-for-now

Maybe once Colt gets the nod to start in September and Richardson runs roughshod through the AFCN, then maybe I'll get a little respect. But hey, until then carry on... I'm slow cookin crow for ya'll.

That bird brained bitch is talking out the side of her neck bro. She couldn't put two and two together with a calculator, and it's hardly surprising her husband is probably jealous as hell with the way she creams over guys with "big guns"...

...it's rather sickening. This knee jerk reaction by Mary Kay is nothing more than a whipped up headline to garner her views so she can pay for her overpriced manicures... please give me a break...

This has no basis in reality and it's complete bullshit. We don't stregthen a position to turn around and weaken it, example #1- the Des Bryant deal. Just because we signed a Bryant we're sending Rubin packing, no. This would be like trading Haden because we picked up Chris Owens... it's not happening.

And ... Scene!

You had me at "bird brained bitch", but "This would be like trading Haden because we picked up Chris Owens" ... that's just classic ... I think you single-handedly insulted Haden, Cambell and Chris Owens in one swipe to protect a third string QB's reputation. Gold.

Oh look, what I tell ya...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154480/article/colt-mccoy-wont-be-cut-by-cleveland-browns-for-now

Maybe once Colt gets the nod to start in September and Richardson runs roughshod through the AFCN, then maybe I'll get a little respect. But hey, until then carry on... I'm slow cookin crow for ya'll.

Did you actually read the article? It in no way even suggests Colt is worth a shit.

Quotes from the article:

"McCoy is expected to be released or traded for a late-round pick shortly"

"It would be surprising if the Browns found a suitor for McCoy"

"Perhaps McCoy will remain on the Browns' roster through the draft, but we'd be very surprised if he was on the team come minicamp season."

I'm slow cookin crow for ya'll.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Let me know how it tastes. I'm not the one that's gonna have to wash it down with humility.

The Browns signed quarterback Jason Campbell on Tuesday and with Brandon Weeden taking over as the starter last season, McCoy is now expendable. Once thought to be the starting quarterback of the future, McCoy could be traded for a late round pick or released if Cleveland is unable to find a trade partner. Cleveland does not plan to release McCoy, according to NFL.com's Albert Breer, but the source did not rule out a trade.

Cleveland selected McCoy in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He served as Weeden's backup last season, but with new head coach Rob Chudzinski taking over, there is some question as to whether McCoy would fit in Chudzinski's downfield passing offense. According to Dawgs By Nature, McCoy has a 2013 base salary of $2.51 million, but he will be owed just $187,750 if released.

While he may no longer be a fit in Cleveland, McCoy could generate significant interest on the trade market. McCoy is still relatively young at 26 and has started 21 games in his career. A number of teams are searching for starting or backup quarterbacks. The Raiders, Bills, Jaguars and Cardinals could all be in the market for a starting quarterback and may have interest in bringing McCoy in to compete for the starting job.

The Seattle Seahawks could be another team to keep any eye on. While Seattle has its starting quarterback in Russell Wilson, the Seahawks could be in the market for a backup. As Danny Kelly of Field Gulls wrote, Seattle may trade current backup Matt Flynn. If they do, McCoy could provide a relatively inexpensive replacement. One of the biggest knocks on McCoy is his lack of size, but at 6'1, he's actually taller than Wilson.

Let me know how it tastes. I'm not the one that's gonna have to wash it down with humility.

Are you going to survive when he does get released or traded? You've been sucking his dick for a solid month around here saying he's the greatest QB in the history of the NFL. How is it going to taste for you when everyone here (except for you and rooster dick) is proven right??

McCoy is done in Cleveland. Time for you to throw away the poster (along with the one of Cribbs) that you've been whacking off too lately. Feel free to move on to whatever team he ends up being the back up QB on.

Be prepared for him to be a starter in the CFL though...can't wait to see the budding CFL rivalry between McNoodle arm and Tim Tebow.

Are you going to survive when he does get released or traded? You've been sucking his dick for a solid month around here saying he's the greatest QB in the history of the NFL. How is it going to taste for you when everyone here (except for you and rooster dick) is proven right??

McCoy is done in Cleveland. Time for you to throw away the poster (along with the one of Cribbs) that you've been whacking off too lately. Feel free to move on to whatever team he ends up being the back up QB on.

Be prepared for him to be a starter in the CFL though...can't wait to see the budding CFL rivalry between McNoodle arm and Tim Tebow.

What a bunch of verbal vomit you spew! Never have I said he was the "Greatest QB in the history of the NFL", fag. I'm not going anywhere or following any player to another team so put your little cock away. I've got one Browns poster in my mancave and it's of Ernie Davis from the Express, so do me a favor and remove your red equal sign poster and stick it up your overly lubed ass.

Colt may not be the Greatest in the NFL but he's far better than the alternative QBs this team is trotting out there and that should be apparent.

Colt may not be the Greatest in the NFL but he's far better than the alternative QBs this team is trotting out there and that should be apparent.

The only person it's apparent to is you (and your butt buddy rooster dick), which is why the Browns were trying to trade up to draft RGIII, which is why they just signed Jason Campbell. If they thought Colt McCoy was worth 2 shits, why would they sign another QB? As Hoorta said, the writing is very clear on the wall. The Cleveland Browns football team does not think Colt McCoy can be the starting QB for a winning football team. He is as of right now the 3rd string QB on this team and no team is going to pay a 3rd string QB $2 million per year.

The time is running out on the McCoy era in Cleveland....everyone else here has accepted that and you just look like a complete moron signing the praises every day of a guy who's very best wasn't all that great.

I just can't wait to see if you have the balls to come back here and admit that you have been acting like a moron when he gets cut or traded.

If they thought Brandon Weeden was worth 2 shits, why would they sign another QB? As Hoorta said, the writing is very clear on the wall. The Cleveland Browns football team does not think Brandon Weeden can be the starting QB for a winning football team. He is as of right now the 3rd string QB on this team and no team is going to pay a 3rd string QB who has proven that he can't play at this level and nearly 30 after 1 horrible season.

The time is running out on the Weeden era in Cleveland....everyone else here has accepted that and you just look like a complete moron signing the praises every day of a guy who's very best wasn't all that great.

I just can't wait to see if you have the balls to come back here and admit that you have been acting like a moron when he gets cut or traded.

There you go, fixed it for you. You're just suffering from dyslexia.

There you go, fixed it for you. You're just suffering from dyslexia.

Thanks for proving the point. You aren't going to be able to accept it when McCoy is released or traded. You can live in your demented world all you want.

There is no way you have the balls to show up here and admit you were wrong and everyone in here was right.

Answer me this slap dick...what color is the sky in your world?

Archived