Trent Richardson Trade  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How do you as a Browns Fan feel about the Trich Trade

• Browns come out on Top!!!!
    • Colts come out on Top!!!!
    • Browns get Ripped Off!!!!!
    • Colts get Ripped Off!!!!
    • All Parties involved are Winners!!!!
    • I Dont Care!!! Im no longer a Browns Fan!!!!!!

Nobody WANTS to have a shit running game. But in the five years prior to the last, 4 of the 10 Super Bowl teams finished 30th or lower in rushing. Two actually finished dead last. Might be three, actually.

Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Taylor/MJD for the Jags, Chris Johnson... not one Super Bowl. For five years, the Super Bowl didn't even feature a 1,000 yard back, amazingly. To argue that having a top running back correlates with winning is nonsense.

And there's no point in discussing the league prior to the Ty Law Rules and those that followed, so you're looking at 2002, or something like the last 11 seasons. And over those 11 years, the RB position has become more and more diminished as it became quite undeniably a passing league. This year has taken it to another level.

SF is gonna try to run (and defend) to win, but at some point Kaep is gonna have to carry them through the playoffs and to a championship because that's how it works every year (even if the guy was so-so during the season, like Eli or Flacco but more likely Rodgers or Brees, who were already great).

Nobody WANTS to suck at running because it makes it imperative that you're pretty amazing at passing and pass protection, likely possessing one of those top 5-7 passers. But it's been done (a lot). The reverse, winning without great quarterback play? Nope. It's not a reality in this post 2002 era. Old news.

And Toxic, while defense gets more important in the playoffs, some pretty lame defenses have been playing in Super Bowls over the past decade. Last year stopped that trend, but this regular season has been about really gaudy offensive numbers for the most part... and record settingly bad defense.

If you really think winning and losing is about what's "up the middle," you need to get a TV or something. The league is now about passing to take a lead and rushing the other team's passer. Has been for several years now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody WANTS to have a shit running game. But in the five years prior to the last, 4 of the 10 Super Bowl teams finished 30th or lower in rushing. Two actually finished dead last. Might be three, actually.

Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Taylor/MJD for the Jags, Chris Johnson... not one Super Bowl. For five years, the Super Bowl didn't even feature a 1,000 yard back, amazingly. To argue that having a top running back correlates with winning is nonsense.

And there's no point in discussing the league prior to the Ty Law Rules and those that followed, so you're looking at 2002, or something like the last 11 seasons. And over those 11 years, the RB position has become more and more diminished as it became quite undeniably a passing league. This year has taken it to another level.

SF is gonna try to run (and defend) to win, but at some point Kaep is gonna have to carry them through the playoffs and to a championship because that's how it works every year (even if the guy was so-so during the season, like Eli or Flacco but more likely Rodgers or Brees, who were already great).

Nobody WANTS to suck at running because it makes it imperative that you're pretty amazing at passing and pass protection, likely possessing one of those top 5-7 passers. But it's been done (a lot). The reverse, winning without great quarterback play? Nope. It's not a reality in this post 2002 era. Old news.

And Toxic, while defense gets more important in the playoffs, some pretty lame defenses have been playing in Super Bowls over the past decade. Last year stopped that trend, but this regular season has been about really gaudy offensive numbers for the most part... and record settingly bad defense.

If you really think winning and losing is about what's "up the middle," you need to get a TV or something. The league is now about passing to take a lead and rushing the other team's passer. Has been for several years now.

yep, you're so right.

that's why OC's call 2 running plays per every one pass.

why is that, i wonder? maybe to soften up the D and make them stack the box to make THE ALL MIGHTY GOD PASSING game easier? duh.

between you and usfbrownsfag you know about smash mouth football like your granny knows about wearing panties.

yep, you're so right.

that's why OC's call 2 running plays per every one pass.

why is that, i wonder? maybe to soften up the D and make them stack the box to make THE ALL MIGHTY GOD PASSING game easier? duh.

between you and usfbrownsfag you know about smash mouth football like your granny knows about wearing panties.

Once again, don't let facts get in the way of your stupid opinion.

The game has passed you by old fart. Smash mouth football doesn't win championships now.

The game has passed you by old fart. Smash mouth football doesn't win championships now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

guess you didn't see the post game interview with kaepernik or gore after the game last night, or have a TV (shep) that every ex football great talks about how the games are won by one team's dominance over the other's on the lines.

faggot.

BTW this old fart would knock you out. smash mouth football? let me hit you in the ribs 6 times and see how long it takes for your arms to drop.

Oh, thank God. Because only 3 of the 32 teams run as much as they pass. A handful are passing more than 70% of the time. And as far as first halves, I'm thinking all 32 pass more than they run but I'd have to ask PFF.

Again, Tox: The average ranking of the 10 Super Bowl teams before last year... was 23rd. And those 4 teams ranked under 30? Two won and the other two, ranked dead last, damn near won (Colts and Cards).

There is reality. Don't let politics make you think it's all a matter of opinion. These are just the facts.

so you amongst others had the niners as a fave for the super bowl representing the NFC this year?

who kicked the shit out of them and how did they do it? seattle. marshawn lynch.

then when asked about what happened to the niners, gore goes out and has 132 yards rushing and they blow past st. louis.

coincidence?

i think not.

if you don't have a threat a RB just have your LBs drop back in pass coverage. if YOU DO have a threat at RB they have to bring those same players up to cover the run.

get it?

Watch out. Old ass internet tough guy.

You can't fix stupid.

can't polish shit either.

yeah, i'll be 53 this december. retired when i was 49. come back at me when you're still slingin fries at wendys at 60.

can hang with anyone you throw at me son.

Oh, thank God. Because only 3 of the 32 teams run as much as they pass. A handful are passing more than 70% of the time. And as far as first halves, I'm thinking all 32 pass more than they run but I'd have to ask PFF.

Again, Tox: The average ranking of the 10 Super Bowl teams before last year... was 23rd. And those 4 teams ranked under 30? Two won and the other two, ranked dead last, damn near won (Colts and Cards).

There is reality. Don't let politics make you think it's all a matter of opinion. These are just the facts.

For the record, the "Ty Law" rule has actually been in effect since the 1970's.

The top 5 teams in passing percentage have a combined record of 2- 13.

The bottom 5 teams in passing percentage have a combined record of 8-7.

The five teams directly in the middle of the passing percentage rankings have a combined record of 12-3.

It's about balance. Passing when you need to and running when you have to.

I thought the argument yaall were having was on how easy it was to find a running back? Some how it turned into an argument over how much you need to run to win. Trent was traded for one reason, he's not that good. He lacks elite burst and he misses his holes. Obviously Chud and Norv don't value the run game as much as you Toxic or wed havr an actual fullback. These guys want to pass, and pasd often. I'm thinkin 65% of the time. We brought McGahee in for one reason. Pass protection. So bringing him in is an upgrade over Richardson 65% of the plays. Also, it won't be hard to find a back that can average 4 yards a carry. Sure the elite backs are hard to find as every other position but good blocking and good play calling can make an average back look great and average backs are a dime a dozen. All we need is an average back.....and good blocking.

I thought the argument yaall were having was on how easy it was to find a running back? Some how it turned into an argument over how much you need to run to win. Trent was traded for one reason, he's not that good. He lacks elite burst and he misses his holes. Obviously Chud and Norv don't value the run game as much as you Toxic or wed havr an actual fullback. These guys want to pass, and pasd often. I'm thinkin 65% of the time. We brought McGahee in for one reason. Pass protection. So bringing him in is an upgrade over Richardson 65% of the plays. Also, it won't be hard to find a back that can average 4 yards a carry. Sure the elite backs are hard to find as every other position but good blocking and good play calling can make an average back look great and average backs are a dime a dozen. All we need is an average back.....and good blocking.

Everything is connected.

The best teams are those that are well rounded. A pass heavy team will lose to a good pass defense. A run heavy team will lose to a team with good run defense.

The best thing you can do is be the best at everything.

RBs are a dime a dozen and their shelf life as a NFL commodity is probably the lowest of any player on the roster. yes, TR wasn't that good. but he got paid by us just like mcgahee is. indy didn't bring him in to be the next edgerrin james. they brought him in as you stated we brought mcgahhen, to pass block and get touchdowns from 3 yards out.

no RB is worth a top ten pick, let alone a first rounder unless you got a guarantee he'll be then next AP, but we all know, especially as brown's fams, there is no guarantees.

When all is said and done, these teams with great RBs are not winning championships. Most of them are terrible.

RB is a dime a dozen, don't spend big picks position.

wrongo.

strong up and down the middle on both sides of the ball wins championships. fucking assholes that still believe that you can have an average defense and still win cuz you got kurt warner and some doncoryell offense.

GTFO chump.

guess you didn't see the niner game tonight when frank FUCKING gore led them to victory.

go back to playing madden and you pretending to be peyton manning.

douchebag.

RBs are a dime a dozen and their shelf life as a NFL commodity is probably the lowest of any player on the roster. yes, TR wasn't that good. but he got paid by us just like mcgahee is. indy didn't bring him in to be the next edgerrin james. they brought him in as you stated we brought mcgahhen, to pass block and get touchdowns from 3 yards out.

no RB is worth a top ten pick, let alone a first rounder unless you got a guarantee he'll be then next AP, but we all know, especially as brown's fams, there is no guarantees.

Normally i just stop replying to stuff like this but your stupidity is something that should be marveled. I don't know if you're senile or just an ignorant fuck but you basically just stated what i did in my original post that you attempted to blast.

You are either Retarded, bipolar, or a senile fuck. My guess is a combination of three.

The Colts think he can be an elite back which is why they gave up a first round pick. Pep Hamilton wants to run your favorite style of offense...the power run game.

Normally i just stop replying to stuff like this but your stupidity is something that should be marveled. I don't know if you're senile or just an ignorant fuck but you basically just stated what i did in my original post that you attempted to blast.

You are either Retarded, bipolar, or a senile fuck. My guess is a combination of three.

no. just drunk.

and go fuck USF. shit for brains. when were they ever good? do they even play division 1 football or are they a community college, butt queef?

oh wait didn't they have a decent player come into the nfl? who was that? herman schmugglewump?

no. just drunk.

and go fuck USF. shit for brains. when were they ever good? do they even play division 1 football or are they a community college, butt queef?

oh wait didn't they have a decent player come into the nfl? who was that? herman schmugglewump?

lol. A browns fan making fun of usf? That is funny.

But if you must know JPP, nate Allen, mike Jenkins, are just to name a few.

You're a cranky ass but a fellow browns fan so I'll look past all your glaring faults and would even love to have a beer with you.

You can keep up the banter, but frankly I'm bored with it and have nothing against you.

Couch, the top teams in Passer Rating are basically the playoff teams every single year. Running the ball super well or a lot in today's league correlates with virtually nothing.

Go over the past five years and you'll see there are usually only one or two outliers between top passing teams and the playoff teams. It's uncanny. I'd been writing about it for ten years before Peter King mentioned it a couple years ago.

Running the ball a lot in today's league generally means you don't have a great quarterback... rather than meaning you do have a great running back. Teams with great quarterbacks in a passing league usually throw too much for a back to pile up yardage.

Yeah, the Seahawks, Chiefs, and Niners are successful exceptions. Totally acknowledge that.

Couch, the top teams in Passer Rating are basically the playoff teams every single year. Running the ball super well or a lot in today's league correlates with virtually nothing.

Go over the past five years and you'll see there are usually only one or two outliers between top passing teams and the playoff teams. It's uncanny. I'd been writing about it for ten years before Peter King mentioned it a couple years ago.

Running the ball a lot in today's league generally means you don't have a great quarterback... rather than meaning you do have a great running back. Teams with great quarterbacks in a passing league usually throw too much for a back to pile up yardage.

Yeah, the Seahawks, Chiefs, and Niners are successful exceptions. Totally acknowledge that.

Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that playoffs teams tend to have great QBs.

What I, and the stats, am (are?) saying is that you need to be balanced. Passing the ball 70% of the time is rarely going to get you to the postseason. Sure, the NFL is a "passing league" as you love to say but, like I pointed out, the most successful teams this season are operating at around 55/45 pass/run.

Some games you may have to throw the ball 50 times. Other games you may have to throw it 15. Your game should be dictated by who you are playing. A good coach exploits the weaknesses of other teams and uses that as an advantage.

That SOUNDS right... and logical... but the truth is a lot of pass-junkie teams who can't run the ball very well have been going to and winning Super Bowls over the last 5-7 years. Some teams that literally couldn't run the ball at all. The Packers won it behind Rodgers and a shit running game. Manning's second Super Bowl was with an anemic running game. Warner and Brady and Peyton all went to Super Bowls with bad running games. Not so-so... bad.

Again, it isn't preferable. And most teams that are really, REALLY bad at running the ball find a way in the playoffs or suffer for it (like the Saints the year after the Super Bowl). But most teams get carried through January by their quarterback.

Shep....why don't you try actually looking up those stats rather than post what you FEEL is correct? Run pass ratio for the last 10 years of Superbowl winners hasn't exceeded 40/60. Whether they win because they're more efficient at passing is a different argument than how much they run the ball. You are a master at stating the obvious....everyone knows passing moves the ball farther than running. But successful teams still run.

Stop arguing with yourself about a point no one is contending. Discussions don't occur with oneself....

That SOUNDS right... and logical... but the truth is a lot of pass-junkie teams who can't run the ball very well have been going to and winning Super Bowls over the last 5-7 years. Some teams that literally couldn't run the ball at all. The Packers won it behind Rodgers and a shit running game. Manning's second Super Bowl was with an anemic running game. Warner and Brady and Peyton all went to Super Bowls with bad running games. Not so-so... bad.

Again, it isn't preferable. And most teams that are really, REALLY bad at running the ball find a way in the playoffs or suffer for it (like the Saints the year after the Super Bowl). But most teams get carried through January by their quarterback.

In 2010, the year the Packers won the Super Bowl, they finished 14th in passing percentage, throwing the ball 57% of the time. Their opponent, Pittsburgh, threw the ball 52% of the time.

Peyton Manning's Super Bowl run in 2006 was at the helm of the 14th ranked team in passing percentage, same as Rodgers. The Colts threw the ball 55% of the time that season. His second Super Bowl run (the one they lost), had the Colts finish 1st in passing but I'll get to that in a bit.

In their 2007 Super Bowl season, New England also finished 14th in passing percentage, passing the ball 55% of the time. In their 2011 Super Bowl run the Patriots again finished 14th in passing percentage.

Three of your four examples are three of my best examples.

Here's a run down of each Super Bowl teams passing percentage for the past 5 years:

(20) Baltimore 55% - (30) San Fran 48%

(9) NY Giants 60% - (14) New England 58%

(14) Green Bay 57% - (28) Pittsburgh 52%

(24) New Orleans 55%- (1) Indianapolis 61%

(23) Pittsburgh 54%- (1) Arizona 63%

The winning teams (on the left) were all ranked closer to the median than their opponents, the only exception being New England. In both the 2007 and 2011 seasons (both Super Bowl years), the Patriots finished 14th in passing percentage but still lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Yes, passing is crucial. Having a good quarterback is a given, But balance leads to the Lombardi more than anything.

its amazing that two teams were willing to give this guy a #1. Colts got swindled on this one.

No kidding, I am so glad we recouped most of what we spent for him, and had we waited any longer, we would never have gotten a 1st. This may very well be the balls out move that changed our future.

but only need 334 carries for a 1000 yd season...

just shy of 21 touches per game...

The idea of a 1000 yd season started with a 12 game season. To get a 1000 in 16 games just don't seem to have that much meaning to me. Maybe it gives the talking heads something to yap about but it just don't seem that significant anymore.

Archived