THE BROWNS BOARD

Gilbert

Cbus Brownie

Rookie corners never "deliver now." Year 3 is when they begin to look comfortable. Year 2 if they're really good. Late Year 1 if they're great.

Game 1, playing across from one of the best, not so much... He's going to get tortured until he proves he can step it up...

Lots of tricks need to be learned on the way to being successful.

WSS

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, you didn't actually watch what you were seeing. Roby was the rated as the #1CB for the draft heading into 2013. Then Whithers asked him to play this soft cover 4 nonsense.

Last I checked, Roby had a good outing against a much better receiver in Keenan Allen in '12. The coaching staff let him play aggressive and not let WR's casually stroll into their routes.

Christ, did you watch the game vs Virginia Tech? The same god damn thing this year. Now you see Roby making some solid plays as a rookie and you still think the kid wasn't any good? Smoke another bowl, dumbass.

No I admitted he's good, just not in college. Maybe you have something there with the scheme OSU was running, I dunno....secondary play is not my thing. If I can see an all 22, than I can comment. But the fact he was getting torched last year is unassailable. That and guys like Abredaris pulled away from him made me think he was garbage. In a flat out equal foot race where the receiver had to hold up for a second to catch the ball and STILL was able to pull away from Roby was like a broken record every week last year. Obviously he was not being properly positioned at OSU last year cause he was all over Wayne last night...I'm admitting you were right bro, relax.

Lots of tricks need to be learned on the way to being successful.

WSS

Exactly. At least he's learning under the "new rules." He's learning NOT to hold the receiver, but to play the ball instead... it's not easy, but at least he should have minimal defensive penalties.

My problem with the first half was that every time Ben extended a play, his receivers were able to get away with pushing off our DBs to get open. Wheaton pushed off GIlbert in the first quarter for a 40 yard catch. Also, if anybody would watch the Antonio Brown TD, you would see him literally push off Haden 3 times to get open. If Haden would have pushed like that, it would've been an instant flag. I saw Pettine talking to the head ref before halftime, and I'm sure he was asking them to call it evenly on both sides, as they should... It's not an excuse to lose, but it sure didn't help our secondary...

yesterday was a tale of 2 halves. if they had the correct game plan called going into the game as they did going into the 2nd half we wouldn't be having these conversations.

and hey, the saints didn't look all the impressive yesterday either.

Why does everybody in this country feel the need to put their opinions on the web?

Irony... what a concept.

My problem... receivers were able to get away with pushing off our DBs to get open.

Yup... if the league is going to emphasize eliminating contact, that should go for WRs as well.

Yeah Walter- I watched that Donkey game- and Roby looked great because Denver had a guy in Luck's face the whole damn game.

Don't write a guy off just because he's struggling making the transition to the NFL after a couple preseason games, and one in the regular season. You expecting him to look like Darrell Revis right out of the gate? .

I don't expect him to look like Revis... But that said,, I expect more from a 1st rnd pick.. So far.. he doesn't even look average.. and that's not good.. I would expect an average performance out of him.. And were not getting that. so far.. He stinks!

another example of people who should have their smartphones taken away from them. Why does everybody in this country feel the need to put their opinions on the web? Does Cleveland really need this? Do we really need to see drunken browns fans running incoherent video selfies while driving? I was cringing because at any moment I was expecting the air bag to deploy and send the phone flying towards the back windshield.

I was actually hoping to see the air bag deploy.

Justin Gilbert got his ass handed to him all preseason long.

He wasn't even on the same planet as the 3rd stringers. He got owned by guys who have already been cut.

He got his ass handed to him by Ben and soon by Drew Brees and Flacco.

It gets so annoying hearing the "Gilbert will be fine"

it's the same crowd that said "Richardson will be fine, Weeden Will be fine, Holmgren will be great, Chud will be fine, so on so forth".

Gilbert isn't even 5 yards in the area of the people he's supposed to be covering. He's so bad right now and anyone who can't see it is uh... visually impaired.

I guess this proves you were right?

I only call it has as I see it.

Bitonio looked pretty decent and tough.

West looked awesome.

Crowell looked awesome.

Kirksey is going to be a steal.

Desir is a total unknown.

Manziel is a total unknown.

Justin Gilbert looks like he belongs on another fucking planet. It was pitiful and hard to watch how bad he is.

Stop saying he'll be fucking fine. You have no fucking clue whether he'll be "fine". The only evidence that we have so far, is fucking horrible play. That's what we know. We can hope for the best, but don't give me your sunshine pumping bullshit "don't worry about it he'll be fine" line.Pull your head out of your ass.

Gilbert was playing his first nfl game against a quarterback that is not elite but is definitely in the second tier. He'll be fine.

to succeed in his position you need to learn how to foul without getting called for a foul..that takes awhile....give the kid a chance to adjust....if he doesn't improve...then throw him off the train....i know, he sucked in this game...and maybe he'll always suck...but not likely...there were enough missed tackles in this game to make it clear he wasn't the only one who needs to improve....

Again, CB is the hardest position in the NFL, and there has NEVER been a rookie who has stepped in and performed at a high level right away. He'll take his lumps and get better. He shouldn't have had as many reps as he did, but we don't have much of a choice. Who do you want to see? Aaron Berry? or the other rookies K'waun Williams? Robert Nelson? Desir? Be careful what you wish for...

He'll be fine. Maybe one day he'll even be good. This shit that rookies have to come into the league and make the pro bowl year one is unrealistic

You have no grounds to say "he'll be fine" other than pure opinion, no evidence to support your rosy theory. You probly loved Richardson too. I believe what I see, and as of right now, today, Gilbert sucks. I don't care if he has all the potential in the world. Doesn't matter until he makes plays.

Stop saying he'll be fucking fine. You have no fucking clue whether he'll be "fine". The only evidence that we have so far, is fucking horrible play. That's what we know. We can hope for the best, but don't give me your sunshine pumping bullshit "don't worry about it he'll be fine" line.Pull your head out of your ass.

Sadly, I have to agree with this on Gilbert. CBus Brownie is right on point.

No one is asking him to play lights out but he looks like he doesn't even belong on an NFL roster.

Shazier looked like a 5 year veteran and Roby looked like a stud.

Remember this:

"Richardson will be fine"

"Weeden will be fine"

"Taylor will be fine"

"Little will be fine"

"Schwartz will be fine"

Archived