THE BROWNS BOARD

Gilbert

Cbus Brownie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a choice of Sammy Watkins, Kahlil Mack, Jake Matthews, and we took fucking Gilbert.

And another #1 pick.... Weve played just ONE game and have NO CLUE who that other pick will bring us, yet you are yammering on and on like a psychopath......take a pill man

In 2011, we skipped on Julio Jones and JJ Watt for Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Brandon Weeden in 2012.

Holy cow.....you're still ranting about picks from 3 years ago??!!.....EVEN after ALL the people who made them are fired.....??

I would rather have Watt or Jones straight up than any of those bad to average players.

A 5 year old could back on drafts and pick the "right players".....this is a very tired and weak arguement

If Gilbert the Bills 1st pick in 2015 doesn't pan out, and Watkins does it's a total fucking failure.

So, why dont you wait a fukkin minute and ACTUALLY SEE if it pans out....??? I can tell you people in Buffalo wish they had that pick back..

Trading down is only good if snag the right player.

So far, it looks like Farmer nailed the draft and all your whining is wasted breath. So, it's too early to make ANY whiny statements like this yet.....you're probably the same guy who threw in the whole season after one series or by the second practice or something....

Life must suck being so miserable and down sighted all the time. Why do you even bother to follow the team??.....seriously...

Again, Gilbert's two biggest issues are opening his hips early and as pointed out, "thinking" about what he's seeing instead of the instinct of knowing and driving on the ball.

He's seen more reps in his first game then Haden did in his first as a pro. I think limiting his snaps is a wise idea. Get him in the film room, let him learn the nuances of not only CB but also WR.

This will allow him to translate what he's seeing on the field into action as opposed to reaction while helping build his confidence.

The other rookie DBs you've pointed out have been playing against 3rd and 4th receivers... It's simple... you can't count on a rookie CB as your starter on the outside. He's going to get burned from time-to-time. Pettine and co. saw size, speed, and great promise, but they gave him too much in game 1. Now he gets scaled back, and guys like Berry and Skrine get to play a little more while Gilbert develops. It's really not the end of the world... Now, at the end of the 2015 season if I'm saying the same sh**, then get on me...

Again, CB is the hardest position in the NFL, and there has NEVER been a rookie who has stepped in and performed at a high level right away.

Different era, but in 1952 a rookie CB named Dick "Night Train" Lane intercepted 14 passes. Happens to still stand as the single season record.

But modern era, yeah, what you said is pretty much the case the case. Even Deion did not start right away... and he never did like to tackle.

We had a choice of Sammy Watkins, Kahlil Mack, Jake Matthews, and we took fucking Gilbert.

You see, these trade downs aren't worth it if you don't pick the right player.

Calm the fuck down Walter...

Gilbert had a bad game. I thought Skrine had won the #2 CB job based upon pre-season, but based upon what he showed the staff in practice, Gilbert landed it. In Pettine's words... Gilbert simply did not take what he showed on the practice field to Gameday. And so his role will be reduced for now.

Gilbert was drafted for his potential. He has the biggest upside of the 2014 CBs. But he was also the rawest of the top CBs in that class.

Give Gilbert a year at least. It may lend a lot more credibility to your opinion than your above documented player hindsight...

Until then, calm the fuck down...

Ya, calm down Walt. I agree, he's looked terrible. Everyone that says he'll be fine has no clue whether he will be or not, they're just hoping. We've seen this 1000 times before. But let's wait and see how he develops over the course of the season. So far, off to a bad start. If he's as bad as I fear he could be, the 2013 draft could end up being the biggest 1st round bust in NFL draft history (If JF doesn't pan out).

If he's as bad as I fear he could be, the 2013 draft could end up being the biggest 1st round bust in NFL draft history (If JF doesn't pan out).

pssst... we took JM this year... 2014... ;)

Brain fart aside, I hope we never have to debate the 2012 vs. the 2014 draft...

I'm not sure I could handle that...

Ya, calm down Walt. I agree, he's looked terrible. Everyone that says he'll be fine has no clue whether he will be or not, they're just hoping. We've seen this 1000 times before. But let's wait and see how he develops over the course of the season. So far, off to a bad start. If he's as bad as I fear he could be, the 2013 draft could end up being the biggest 1st round bust in NFL draft history (If JF doesn't pan out).

LOL, that's not even close. Our old pal Trent Richardson, taken @ #3 overall (and don't forget we even gave up picks to take the bum) has the potential to be rated in the top 10 NFL draft busts in history. He's on the Brian Boswoth fast track to oblivion. Box score on T-Rich Sunday? 6 carries, 20 yards (3.3 ypc), 3 receptions 30 yards. Outright highway robbery to get a first round pick for T-Stiff. Gilbert @ #8 won't even be on the radar- even if he winds up as bad as McFadden.

To complete the daily double that year, we took Brandon Wee-Done. I've seen enough of Johnny Football to be pretty confident he won't stink 1\2 as bad as that clunker.

it's the same crowd that said "Richardson will be fine, Weeden Will be fine, Holmgren will be great, Chud will be fine, so on so forth".

And you would know this because having joined in January of this year you've been reading two-year old threads?

The other rookie DBs you've pointed out have been playing against 3rd and 4th receivers... It's simple... you can't count on a rookie CB as your starter on the outside. He's going to get burned from time-to-time. Pettine and co. saw size, speed, and great promise, but they gave him too much in game 1. Now he gets scaled back, and guys like Berry and Skrine get to play a little more while Gilbert develops. It's really not the end of the world... Now, at the end of the 2015 season if I'm saying the same sh**, then get on me...

1. You're wrong man,

Bradley Roby was covering Reggie Wayne a lot during the night and I saw Varrett on Fitzgerland and Michael Floyd.

2. "He's going to get burned from time to time" He's been burned every singled time, including the preseason. He hasn't made a single play or stopped a single receiver. He's been burned EVERY SINGLE TIME the ball has been thrown his way even in the preseason.

3. He's just not ready for the NFL at this point. This may be a 2-3 year project and if that's the case, he shouldn't have been drafted at 8

1. You're wrong man,

Bradley Roby was covering Reggie Wayne a lot during the night and I saw Varrett on Fitzgerland and Michael Floyd.

First off, Reggie Wayne is a great receiver only in name. He would be the 3rd/4th receiver on many teams now as he is essentially playing with one knee. So you might as well stop with the comparison now.

If this is Reggie 4-5 years ago, holy fuck... Roby would get lit up.

As for Varrett. He had a couple plays on Fitzgerald, many more on Floyd. Take a guess who the Cardinals leading receiver was? Also, lets not act like the Chargers have a choice. Their next best CB is Shareece fucking Wright.

First off, Reggie Wayne is a great receiver only in name. He would be the 3rd/4th receiver on many teams now as he is essentially playing with one knee. So you might as well stop with the comparison now.

If this is Reggie 4-5 years ago, holy fuck... Roby would get lit up.

As for Varrett. He had a couple plays on Fitzgerald, many more on Floyd. Take a guess who the Cardinals leading receiver was? Also, lets not act like the Chargers have a choice. Their next best CB is Shareece fucking Wright.

Reggie Wayne is an all class vet that would have taken Gilberts lunch.

Some no name hack named Markus Wheaton looked like Jerry Rice against him, Reggie Wayne would obliterate him.

The point on Gilbert is he hasn't made one play/tackle/defended a pass all pre-season long and in Sunday's game.

He looks like he's afraid to play football. He shy's away from contact (watch the fake punt) and won't turn around when the balls in the air. Gilbert got owned by 3rd stringers and 4th stringers in the preseason.

I liked all of our other picks so far but holy shit does Justin Gilbert suck

Peyton Manning's first two career games he had 2 TD's and 6 INT's. He should have been cut too right? Good grief. The kid looked bad and no one can argue that, but it's one game. Who knows if he'll turn into the next best thing or a bust, but saying someone is gonna suck off one game is really, really stupid.

Reggie Wayne is an all class vet that would have taken Gilberts lunch.

Some no name hack named Markus Wheaton looked like Jerry Rice against him, Reggie Wayne would obliterate him.

The point on Gilbert is he hasn't made one play/tackle/defended a pass all pre-season long and in Sunday's game.

He looks like he's afraid to play football. He shy's away from contact (watch the fake punt) and won't turn around when the balls in the air. Gilbert got owned by 3rd stringers and 4th stringers in the preseason.

I liked all of our other picks so far but holy shit does Justin Gilbert suck

What the hell does Wayne having class have to do with his playing ability? In case you didn't notice, aside from those two plays, Roby was being picked on quite a bit.

As for Wheaton, he was a mid round pick that's had over a full year of NFL coaching and conditioning that Gilbert hasn't come close to receiving. Couple that with these DB's being shell shocked by Darth Goodell's

determination to have this a flag football league, toss on the fact that CB is again... the SECOND most difficult position for any rookie to come in and play.

If the kid is this bad mid-way through his second year, yeah, I might be willing to concede its a sketchy pick. Until then, not a chance.

2. "He's going to get burned from time to time" He's been burned every singled time, including the preseason. He hasn't made a single play or stopped a single receiver. He's been burned EVERY SINGLE TIME the ball has been thrown his way even in the preseason.

You're wrong, man!

Preseason vs. WSH

CB Justin Gilbert 34 46% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined). 1 pass defended.

vs. Rams

CB Justin Gilbert 50 62% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined). 1 pass defended.

Once again... calm the fuck down...

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/analyzing-snap-counts

No one is saying cut him.

He's just a TERRIBLE draft pick like Weeden/Richardson/Taylor when we could of had Watkins, Mack, or Matthews. Story of the Browns.

He has no football instincts, NONE. He's a afraid to tackle.

This is just fucking embarrassing, rookie or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qctGRsRRt-s

No one is saying cut him.

He's just a TERRIBLE draft pick like Weeden/Richardson/Taylor when we could of had Watkins, Mack, or Matthews. Story of the Browns.

He has no football instincts, NONE. He's a afraid to tackle.

This is just fucking embarrassing, rookie or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qctGRsRRt-s

Wow, now that I see that, you really make yourself look like an ass. Both gunners were uncovered. Not just Gilbert's. That right there is on the coaches. Gilbert was just the unfortunate soul that was placed to the boundary on that play.

Anyone in the NFL save for maybe Deion in his prime would have been burned on that pass. Get over it.

LOL, that's not even close. Our old pal Trent Richardson, taken @ #3 overall (and don't forget we even gave up picks to take the bum) has the potential to be rated in the top 10 NFL draft busts in history. He's on the Brian Boswoth fast track to oblivion. Box score on T-Rich Sunday? 6 carries, 20 yards (3.3 ypc), 3 receptions 30 yards. Outright highway robbery to get a first round pick for T-Stiff. Gilbert @ #8 won't even be on the radar- even if he winds up as bad as McFadden.

To complete the daily double that year, we took Brandon Wee-Done. I've seen enough of Johnny Football to be pretty confident he won't stink 1\2 as bad as that clunker.

Fair, BUT, we got lucky and got another 1st rounder for T Rich. We won't be getting shit for Gilbert, at least not a #1. I'm looking at it from the standpoint, what do you have to show from 1st rd 2014.

What angers me is there are day 1 badasses like Watkins, Mathews, Mack, Shazier, Lewan, & Cooks and we end up with Gilbert.

So fucking Cleveland of us.

Ryan Shazier looks like the second coming of Ray Lewis, Cooks will probably win offensive rookie of the year, Watkins is going to start blossoming in Buffalo if they get solid QB play, Mathews is already a beast at RT, Mack is going to be the next Demarcus Ware, Lewan is already a starter and Justin Great Gobs of Goose shit Gilbert is going to take 2-3 years.

It just never fucking ends

Wow, now that I see that, you really make yourself look like an ass. Both gunners were uncovered. Not just Gilbert's. That right there is on the coaches. Gilbert was just the unfortunate soul that was placed to the boundary on that play.

Anyone in the NFL save for maybe Deion in his prime would have been burned on that pass. Get over it.

Once again... even after the blown coverage why did he completely wiff against that defender?

He wiffed all game and preseason long.

Fair, BUT, we got lucky and got another 1st rounder for T Rich. We won't be getting shit for Gilbert, at least not a #1. I'm looking at it from the standpoint, what do you have to show from 1st rd 2014.

and you think its reasonable to view from that standpoint after one game?

Lmao....oh....of course you do.

How fucking stupid is this argument....talking definitively about rookies after one game of ball. Good fucking god man....

But don't let me save you from your own stupidity. Please continue about how you know the future.

Yes Walter...he had a bad game. Other than that, it means nothing. Any other conclusions you draw from there are pure conjecture and severely premature.

You knew all that shit about johnny too....right? How awesome he was going to be?

Enough with acting like you know what the fuck you're railing on about.

Yes Walter...he had a bad game. Other than that, it means nothing. Any other conclusions you draw from there are pure conjecture and severely premature.

You knew all that shit about johnny too....right? How awesome he was going to be?

Enough with acting like you know what the fuck you're railing on about.

I know we passed on a lot of rookies who are help contribute while we drafted a fucking bum.

Watkins, Shazier, Cooks, Mathews, Mack, Lewan, Varrett, Roby, Benjamin > Gilbert.

I know we passed on a lot of rookies who are help contribute while we drafted a fucking bum.

Watkins, Shazier, Cooks, Mathews, Mack, Lewan, Varrett, Roby, Benjamin > Gilbert.

No, you really don't... because it's been ONE FUCKING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck what happened in the preseason, that don't mean shit...

Shazier - the next Ray Lewis...? LOL... after one game where he really didn't do shit except one TFL where he went unblocked...?? You gotta be kidding...

I'll concede that SOME rookies step right in and contribute, IF you concede that some rookies start slow and go on to have GREAT NFL careers...

Get over yourself

Archived